ADVERTISEMENT

Weekly Baseball Chats (D1Baseball, Baseball America)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Questions from the weekly chats that are relevant to Nebraska/B1G

Mike: Will the NCAA really punish Mississippi and Florida for their trans-gender sports bans when it comes to host locations? Both states combined offer as many as five or six great host schools. Both states offer a potentially higher-than-average ticket sale volume due to their lack of COVID restrictions.

Kendall Rogers: Remember, this is for TRUE predetermined sites -- not predetermined sites based on merit like the baseball selections are. There's nothing to worry about for these states right now. And frankly, I think they were empty PR threats designed to take heat off the NCAA.

---------------------------------------

JFK: Do you see any team from the Big Ten hosting a regional? I also wonder where you think the Huskers might land? Are they a lock as a possible two or three seed?

Kendall Rogers: JFK -- Naturally, you would just say Indiana, but the Hoosiers did not bid to host a regional. I think Michigan is squarely in the mix, though. Do I expect Michigan to be in the Top 20? Probably not -- but we will see.

---------------------------------------

JayPak: Not sure I get the love for Nebraska as a 2-seed or even an at-large team. with today's win over Rutgers, the RPI, ELO and ISR are in the high 60s. What do the pundits like about the Huskers?

Kendall Rogers: Nebraska is a half-game out of first place in the Big Ten -- that's all that really matters since the Big Ten didn't play non-conference games. The RPI means pretty much zilch in that league.

Keegan (Nebraska): If the top of the Big Ten continues to trade blows over the next couple of weeks, is it more likely to result in multiple Big Ten teams breaking into the rankings or for the conference to finish without a ranked team? And does it bode well for the conference's postseason outlook?

Teddy Cahill: The Big Ten champ is almost always in our final Top 25 of the regular season, so my guess is at least one of Indiana, Nebraska and Michigan will be ranked on Memorial Day. As for additional teams, nothing happens in a vacuum, not even a conference playing conference-only games. So we'd weigh the second- or third-place team against the other Top 25 contenders at the time. As for the postseason, I don't think it matters much. Those top three teams -- IU, Nebraska and Michigan -- have clear separation from the rest of the conference right now. As long as they maintain that, they're all getting in and it's up to Iowa, Maryland, Ohio State and Rutgers to join them to get in the mix for the NCAA Tournament.

JFK: Do you see any team from the Big Ten hosting a regional? I also wonder where you think the Huskers might land? Are they a lock as a possible two or three seed?

Kendall Rogers: JFK -- Naturally, you would just say Indiana, but the Hoosiers did not bid to host a regional. I think Michigan is squarely in the mix, though. Do I expect Michigan to be in the Top 20? Probably not -- but we will see.
Not even mentioning Nebraska?

I’d say 5 teams in contention and Maryland has a huge shot to make a statement. Iowa just has to win a lot of game and hope a few other teams lose. Losing all their series against the top 3 teams won’t help their cause.

ADVERTISEMENT