ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend rotation

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
So is it too early to start toying with the weekend rotation or do we let it roll for a few more weeks before making any changes. Got to say I like Sinclair and Kubat for the first two, but can't really get behind Knutson for our Sunday guy. Went to all seven games so far and had a blast. Of all the arms out their (besides the obvious Jake Hohensee who is hurt) I would maybe like to see King in the Sunday role. He really looked dominate, poised and had the it factor in both his appearances. Also, spoke with Schleppenbach's dad while I was there and asked him if his son ever batted lead off. As I watched Jake bat the first 5 games it appeared to me he would be way better in that role than Darby. His dad said Jake was batting cleanup last year but had hit in the lead off position before. Was more than surprised and pumped when DE made the change and led him off. Felt even better when he went 3-4 and scored a few runs. Was also glad they moved Tanner out of the 4 hole as I was afraid he was putting too much pressure on himself in that part of the lineup. Hope he continues to get his swing back ( looked good in the final BYU game). So back to my question, who do like for our Sunday starter?

Honestly, it's always hard to tell because the mentality coming out of the pen and starting are so different. I remember Zach Hirsch for example, as a starter he would get rocked, but as a reliever he was the best we've had in years.

I wonder if one of the freshman are up to the task? I almost want to see Jake Myers get a shot because the kid seems so poised, even at a young age. Your suggestion doesn't seem like a bad idea either. Regardless, I think Knutsen lost his opportunity for the time being.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I totally agree with the role differences between starter and reliever - a different mindset is required for both. Guys that have spent their careers as starters typically want to control the game from beginning and manage each hitter, limiting damage and grinding out innings, getting ground outs and being efficient. Great relievers thrive on "shut down" innings, strike outs and getting out of jams -- knowing their mound time is going to be limited. I think the freshman class of pitchers look great, but it may be too early to write off anyone of the returning players. I've seen 5 of the 7 games so far, and I think we'll will have a great staff in a year or two as these guys develop, especially with Kubat and Sinclair to mentor them this year.

Also, the offense always seems to start slow transitioning to the outdoor game. There are some talented bats on this team - I think they'll start clicking soon!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT