ADVERTISEMENT

Wearing out welcome isn't new for Jim Harbaugh

There is a long history of coaches who lead in this manner. They are necessary for programs that need that kick in the ass to get back to competing at a high level. That is exactly what Michigan needs right now, and no doubt, they will benefit from this approach.

Those coaches also tend to wear players out and tend to burn out themselves. I don't foresee Jim Harbaugh as a 10 - 15 year guy at Michigan. I think he will be around 4-5 years, likely get Michigan to a place where they are competitive with Ohio State again, maybe make a college football playoff. Then, he will likely want to prove that he can compete in the NFL again and likely Michigan will need a different type of guy.

I don't think being a tough-nose, high-expectations type coach is a bad thing. Knowing when the time is up and it's time for the next challenge will be the ultimate sign of success for him. Whether he was fired or left - I think one can say he knew when it was time to leave SF, and will likely face this same future with at least 2 - 3 more teams for his career.

Would I have taken him as Nebraska's football coach? Absolutely. But I would have gone in knowing that this was not a next generation type deal.

We don't want him to change. We had to fire one of the nicest head coaches in college football so we could hire JH. Know a former Wolverine who played for San Diego and Houston for 8 or 9 yrs, he says JH is what Mi needed, they got him and everyone knows they're lucky to say the least. We can't forget either, he set a top on his Mi salary and could have made more here or who knows how many other places.

lets see how things play out

but lets remember that if we had the ability to name any available coach to coach Nebraska - Harbaugh would have been the near unaminous choice

Bo Schembechler died in 2006 on the eve of the 1 vs. 2 Ohio State-Michigan game. The program has lacked a spiritual leader ever since.

Harbaugh is wonderfully old school, and I can see the appeal to Michigan fans who want Harbaugh-Meyer to be the second coming of Bo and Woody's ten year war.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

From a college football player's perspective, could he even wear out his welcome. From an administrator's perspective, certainly. The players will do it his way or be replaced.

Michigan. Harbaugh. Carte blanche. If he's winning, he'll always be welcome.

Originally posted by chicolby:
There is a long history of coaches who lead in this manner. They are necessary for programs that need that kick in the ass to get back to competing at a high level. That is exactly what Michigan needs right now, and no doubt, they will benefit from this approach.

Those coaches also tend to wear players out and tend to burn out themselves. I don't foresee Jim Harbaugh as a 10 - 15 year guy at Michigan. I think he will be around 4-5 years, likely get Michigan to a place where they are competitive with Ohio State again, maybe make a college football playoff. Then, he will likely want to prove that he can compete in the NFL again and likely Michigan will need a different type of guy.

I don't think being a tough-nose, high-expectations type coach is a bad thing. Knowing when the time is up and it's time for the next challenge will be the ultimate sign of success for him. Whether he was fired or left - I think one can say he knew when it was time to leave SF, and will likely face this same future with at least 2 - 3 more teams for his career.

Would I have taken him as Nebraska's football coach? Absolutely. But I would have gone in knowing that this was not a next generation type deal.
I agree that he lasts about 4-5 years in Michigan. The article touches on why I think that is (along with him being too intense and wearing out his welcome). He is fiercely competitive with his brother and I think it totally eats at him that his brother has succeeded on the biggest stage in football (the Super Bowl) and he has not. Of course, to add salt to the wound is that his brother beat him in the Super Bowl. I don't think his competitiveness and ego are going to allow him to stay at the college level for too long.

ADVERTISEMENT