ADVERTISEMENT

We need a smart coach

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
we have 2 million people in the state, ohio state has 12 million.
we have 26000 students, ohio state has around 67000 students.

you will find similar numbers with teams like michigan, texas etc...
so we are not going to beat anyone with numbers...
this isn't grant vs lee (well it is if we are lee)

so we need a coach on top of things, in all phases...
not someone like solich who makes us one dimensional.
not someone like callahan who has no defense.
not someone like bo who was the missing link with the media. and had a martinez problem himself
frost, well just watch the game yesterday.....

so we need someone like a bob devaney or tom osborne
to be able to beat others numbers, and definitely to be able to beat your typical big 10 team like yesterday.

I suggest this coach currently in ames iowa, has this smartness about him...

so the current question is:
are we smart enough to hire him? is that possible?

isu is heading to a mwc type deal, and this would be a good time to do someing,
smart

Yeah, it’s call the option offense. It was the great equalizer because you didn’t have to have better raw talent then your opponent—you could develop 2 and 3 star kids to execute it to a point where any defense would struggle containing it. That was Osborne’s genius; he figured out ‘the formula’ that would still work today. Certainly there are other formulas where a less talented football program could challenge the elites and the key would be figuring out what coach is already doing it with some level of success (Campbell?).

Last edited:
The odds of Cambell coming to NU are not zero, but not far from it. Even if we were somehow able to get him to discuss the move, we would have to pay his $4 million early release penalty to ISU in addition to the $20 million to Frost, plus a significant increase to Campbell's $4 million current salary.

Yeah, it’s call the option offense. It was the great equalizer because you didn’t have to have better raw talent then your opponent—you could develop 2 and 3 star kids to execute it to a point where any defense would struggle containing it. That was Osborne’s genius; he figured out ‘the formula’ that would still work today.
agree 100%!
the problem with running that kinda offense you need someone smart to run it. and get smart assistant coaches / players to run it..

is it within the top brass at NU to be smart enough to do so?
if a pictures worth 1000 words, this video should be very instructional for them.

We have to have a system that gives us an advantage. We won’t be able to beat teams by being just like them and/or having superior talent. This was part of TO’s genius.

Reactions: redwine65
The two coaches that run solid rushing offenses and have his players playing sound, smart football are Jeff Monken and Jeremy Chadwell.

Jeff does run a variety of option type of schemes, but I bet he would be willing to adjust some to fit a P5 conference with more passing concepts built it and more fullback, running back out of the I plays.

We have tried three coaches since Solich that would try to recruit the WRs and QB's to run a west coast offense and a sling it around offense like Frost's. None of them have worked at Nebraska.

When Nebraska has won games, it's always been via the run - Ammer, Burkhead. Those are the guys we need to get the ball into the hands and let the OL do their thing. Then throw in the fullback and option plays.

Below are the highlights of Jeremey Chadwell vs Billy Napier at Lousiana (who beat Matt Campbell)

The odds of Cambell coming to NU are not zero, but not far from it. Even if we were somehow able to get him to discuss the move, we would have to pay his $4 million early release penalty to ISU in addition to the $20 million to Frost, plus a significant increase to Campbell's $4 million current salary.
cambell: 4 million release
frost: 10 million release (I think frost likes NU and would be willing to settle for 10 million, considering his performance)
cambell: 4 million & 2 million raise (plus 500k for bowl or 1 million for playoff)

thats 21 million to get the ship straight...

if the new 2023 contracts are supposed to be round 100 million per year (compared to 53 million currently) it's doable.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BleedRed78
Been saying this for years. We need an IDENTITY that is vastly different from the rest of college football. Zig when everyone else zags. The option attack would be one way to do it. But it seems that it not in the cards. It is something you must fully commit to, or not do it at all. Too many chances for catastrophic results if you just try to mix it in. It requires absolute precision.

The two coaches that run solid rushing offenses and have his players playing sound, smart football are Jeff Monken and Jeremy Chadwell.

Jeff does run a variety of option type of schemes, but I bet he would be willing to adjust some to fit a P5 conference with more passing concepts built it and more fullback, running back out of the I plays.

We have tried three coaches since Solich that would try to recruit the WRs and QB's to run a west coast offense and a sling it around offense like Frost's. None of them have worked at Nebraska.

When Nebraska has won games, it's always been via the run - Ammer, Burkhead. Those are the guys we need to get the ball into the hands and let the OL do their thing. Then throw in the fullback and option plays.

Below are the highlights of Jeremey Chadwell vs Billy Napier at Lousiana (who beat Matt Campbell)

this looks good, the question then becomes, besides running the ball, do they have a defense and special teams?
can they recruit? can they converse with the media in a head coach type role?
are they smart enough to be the complete package?

Been saying this for years. We need an IDENTITY that is vastly different from the rest of college football. Zig when everyone else zags. The option attack would be one way to do it. But it seems that it not in the cards. It is something you must fully commit to, or not do it at all. Too many chances for catastrophic results if you just try to mix it in. It requires absolute precision.
agree 100%

Reactions: headcard
This is all of course hindsight and will never happen but I would have liked to bring in an unknown that had a good record with not just wins but discipline and teaching fundamentals. Every darn storied program thinks they have to have a “ wow” hire, a big splash. What was Sabans resume like before he went to LSU? It wasn’t spectacular. Someone saw something. He did great there and we know the rest. Stop with the Peterson formula of “ wow” and let’s just get someone who gets simple fundamentals without having to have ultimate athletes to cover up for the lack of them. Good lord this really isn’t rocket science

Matt Campbell turned down an 8 year $68 million contract to coach the Detroit Lions, he’s not coming to Lincoln for anything less than $10 mil

Matt Campbell turned down an 8 year $68 million contract to coach the Detroit Lions, he’s not coming to Lincoln for anything less than $10 mil
he has a family, and detroit has a 80% unsolved homicide rate ( I won't mention the houseing market)
plus detroit is the black hole of talent, how many rings did sanders & suh get? 0.0
6 million plus incentives will be fine...
and adjusted for future winning/inflation

That all seems pretty reasonable to me. Why wouldn't we do this?

not someone like bo who was the missing link with the media. and had a martinez problem himself

to be able to beat others numbers, and definitely to be able to beat your typical big 10 team like yesterday.

smart
You left out Mike Riley. Not someone who is a nice guy, but an average coach and an average recruiter and looks like he is ready to retire.

smart

Iowa state had an elite basketball program. We got their coach and ah ……. Not sure we can just copy what Iowa state does.

Cyclone fan (and Iowa State grad). I generally try to stay current on Husker football, as I have quite a few relatives and in-laws in Nebraska (a number of them UNL grads). I have linked a rather lengthy Iowa State football video (13 minutes long) that probably does reasonably well giving insight into Coach Campbell and how Iowa State turned their football program around. This video wraps around the talk that Campbell gave the team the day before their Fiesta bowl game against the University of Oregon. Please ignore this video if you have no interest in Coach Campbell or how Iowa State was able to turn the corner with their football program. Good luck with the rest of your season...

Yeah, it’s call the option offense. It was the great equalizer because you didn’t have to have better raw talent then your opponent—you could develop 2 and 3 star kids to execute it to a point where any defense would struggle containing it. That was Osborne’s genius; he figured out ‘the formula’ that would still work today. Certainly there are other formulas where a less talented football program could challenge the elites and the key would be figuring out what coach is already doing it with some level of success (Campbell?).
The option? Let me guess - mid 70's yes . A senior, yes? The option. The B1G would kick Brasky out of the league if they tried to bring back the option. RPO, yes. Tom Osborne's option? LOLOLOLOLOL

• Wow
The option? Let me guess - mid 70's yes . A senior, yes? The option. The B1G would kick Brasky out of the league if they tried to bring back the option. RPO, yes. Tom Osborne's option? LOLOLOLOLOL
The option these days does not always mean a full back lined up behind the OG and a RB behind the QB. Go and watch some Coastal Carolina games on YouTube. He runs the option and it would provide a ton of stress to defenses in the Big Ten and it's not the option like Army runs.

smart
If we had (for e.g) Fitzgerald as coach for Scott’s tenure, I bet he would flip Scott’s record from 10-21 to 21-10. Coaching matters…a Lot.

Really? Georgia Tech went that route with Paul Johnson and the results were a disaster for them. Top kids are looking at colleges as stepping stones to the NFL. They want no part of a triple option offense, it doesn't prepare OL to pass block, it doesn't teach WR passing concepts or even the route tree and it doesn't teach QB to read defenses, all required by the NFL. It's a program killer, it works somewhat at the service academies because those guys aren't looking to the NFL.

Really? Georgia Tech went that route with Paul Johnson and the results were a disaster for them. Top kids are looking at colleges as stepping stones to the NFL. They want no part of a triple option offense, it doesn't prepare OL to pass block, it doesn't teach WR passing concepts or even the route tree and it doesn't teach QB to read defenses, all required by the NFL. It's a program killer, it works somewhat at the service academies because those guys aren't looking to the NFL.
how has it taught martinez to read defenses?

plus if I recall right rozier and fryer spent a many day in the nfl
along with many of Nebraska linemen
and I don't think frazier was thinking nfl
green I think went to the nfl, and lp...

dr tom put a lot players on offense in the nfl
I'd say more then any passing offense at NU did

Last edited:
Ever hear of Calvin Johnson?
No? How about Demaryius Thomas?

Who cares? What have NFL aspirants done here lately? Not make the NFL?

Maybe it's time we give up on such an idea like being a prep school for the NFL and just worry about being a fundamentally sound football team that can win games

I don’t think having a unique identity is the absolute answer. Hell, just having an identity at all would be a huge step up.

Offense wasn't Georgia Tech's problem under Paul Johnson. Their defense was always below average.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT