ADVERTISEMENT

We just got our kicker for next season, grad transfer from LSU Tigers....Conner Culp

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/former-lsu-starting-kicker-connor-culp-transferring-to-nebraska
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/former-lsu-starting-kicker-connor-culp-transferring-to-nebraska
“He was In his one season as a starter in 2017, Culp finished 11-for-16 on field goals and 20-of-23 on extra points. He hit a game-winner to beat Auburn and had a stretch that season where he connected on eight straight kicks in conference games. He tied a school-record in 2017 by making four field goals against Ole Miss, including his career-long of 47-yards.“

“In high school his career-long was 51-yards, and he put 53-of-60 kickoffs through the end zone for touchbacks. He’s originally from Phoenix (Ariz.) Desert Vista High School.”

This should instantly help our kicking room.

Last edited:
Great pick up. Grad transfer?

“LSU graduate transfer kicker Connor Culp is expected to join Nebraska's roster in 2020. (Associated Press)

this should allow us to redshirt 5 star kicker Tyler Crawford and the other freshmen kickers too. Sounds like he’s got a big leg.

“As a redshirt freshman at LSU in 2017, his kickoff hangtime was 3.95 seconds. Nebraska’s best kicker in 2019 averaged 3.65 seconds, which was 12th out of 14 in the conference. The worst Big Ten hangtime average was 3.62 seconds and the top mark was 4.20 seconds by Wisconsin’s Zach Hintze according to PFF. Culp’s freshman mark would’ve put him in the top third of the Big Ten in that category, as a .3 second improvement makes a big difference in helping your coverage team get down the field.“

Last edited:
Well one day there also is going to have to be an exodus of kickers. Sounds like the new special teams guy is doing his job to create competition. So may the best man, whoever that is, win the job and lead us back to kicking prominence.

20 of 23 on extra points?

that part caught my eye too. That was during his freshman year when he was LSUs starting kicker. The biggest part I like was his freshman year his kickoff hangtime was 3.95 seconds which would have been 3rd in the BIG 10 last year. So the worst case, the young man gives us good kicker that sounds like he could kick out of the end zone. We all know all to well, that’s a huge bonus.

we have a five star kicker?

yep, Tyler Crawford. Of course it’s not Rivals, 24/7 or ESPN rankings. This is via Kohl’s Kicking which is what ESPN and the big boys use to rank Kickers, Punters and Long Snappers and Via Chris Sailer Kicking....

Here’s a quote via Kohl’s Kicking about Crawford...

”He has matured athletically since last summer and moved into the 5 star category as a kicker. His charts were some of the best in the country and might have the talent to be a top 15 kicker in the country.

https://kohlskicking.com/player-profiles/tyler-crawford

Quotes via Chris Sailer kicking...

“Tyler is a very talented high school kicking and punting prospect. He is a great looking athlete with a powerful left leg. Tyler shows he can hit a big time D1 ball on field goal at times. He gets the ball up quick and has 55+ yard range. His kickoffs are strong, college ready. Tyler also shows that he can hit a college level punt at times. As he continues to develop his game, the sky is the limit. I really like his all around upside. Look for Tyler to have a great 2019 season impressing college coaches around the nation. He is a pleasure to work with. Excellent prospect. Nice addition for Nebraska.”

signature_sailer.jpg

https://chrissailerkicking.com/player-rankings/profile?player=10172

Last edited:
So we got a kicker that hasn't kicked in 2 years and he is going to beat out a "5 star" kicker when he couldn't beat out the grad transfer from Assumption College in 2018 or the freshman from Texas in 2019?

I get the excitement that a kid from LSU is transferring to Nebraska, but is he on scholarship? If so, Is that a good use of resources? I thought the rule of thumb was that we should just get walk on Nebraska kids as kickers, punters and long snappers.

Just curious

Last edited:
So we got a kicker that hasn't kicked in 2 years and he is going to beat out a "5 star" kicker when he couldn't beat out the grad transfer from Assumption College in 2018 or the freshman from Texas in 2019?

I get the excitement that a kid from LSU is transferring to Nebraska, but is he on scholarship? If so, Is that a good use of resources? I thought the rule of thumb was that we should just get walk on Nebraska kids as kickers, punters and long snappers.

Just curious

He is going to walk on....per Sean Callahan.

“He was In his one season as a starter in 2017, Culp finished 11-for-16 on field goals and 20-of-23 on extra points. He hit a game-winner to beat Auburn and had a stretch that season where he connected on eight straight kicks in conference games. He tied a school-record in 2017 by making four field goals against Ole Miss, including his career-long of 47-yards.“

“In high school his career-long was 51-yards, and he put 53-of-60 kickoffs through the end zone for touchbacks. He’s originally from Phoenix (Ariz.) Desert Vista High School.”

This should instantly help our kicking room.
He was a back up

Somebody wanna look and count all the punters and kickers we’ve acquired since last year?

We can’t please everyone I guess. I’m more then fine with it since he’s walk on. It will give competition and with any luck it will allow us to redshirt Crawford and the other guys. I’d have to assume he’s got a little better since his freshman year when he hit dam near a 50 yard (47-48 to be exact) game winner against Auburn and a career long of 51 yards. May the best kicker/punter win...

Reactions: yunginsNU2

Just curious
Yeah, hold the enthusiasm here, good news is, he is walking on. I am much more excited about the punter. Right now I think the place kicking is going to be average at best.

TOS noted that this kid's kickoff hang times as a freshman would've ranked in the upper 3rd of the B1G conference in '19....whereas Nebraska ranked 12th out of 14 teams in the conference.

He likely loses the PK job to Contreraz, but he's probably good for a kickoff that won't be a softball caught with a head of steam at the 10 like we've painstakingly grown so accustomed to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT