ADVERTISEMENT

"We got pushed around a little tonight"

Just saw his pressed and he sounded way pissed. Seemed ready to call out a few people and barely held back. I think he may be starting to realize tough love may be needed. Loved how he said Minn RBs hit the hole hard while ours only sometimes did.

I feel much better after that than the Riley awe shucks comments.

Two questions:

Do people think the roster is worse than Colorado?

Do people think it’s worse than the vast majority of the B1G West?

Even with the current roster, NU should be an 8-9 win team talent wise in the B1G West & Colorado as the big OOC opponent. Good coaching probably even steals another win.

This team has worse talent than 10 other teams in the conference. This is the worst talent team I've seen in my 50+ years following this team. This is going to take 3 or more recruiting cycles.

This team has worse talent than 10 other teams in the conference. This is the worst talent team I've seen in my 50+ years following this team. This is going to take 3 or more recruiting cycles.
2 years. Just 2 years. Next year could be rough as well but I would bet we'll be playing a bunch of sophomores who will be darned good by their junior year. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

“3 or more”

Year 3 is the standard where you can’t blame your roster anymore. A good coach wins in year 2. They aren’t playing an elite schedule outside of OSU. Who on the schedule thus far is that good?

South Alabama - Garbage
Colorado - Garbage
Northern Illinois - Garbage
Illinois - Garbage
OSU - Elite
Northwestern - Garbage
Minnesota - Average

There is one team on that list with a better roster. One.

South Alabama - Garbage
Colorado - Garbage
Illinois - Garbage
OSU - Elite
Northwestern - Garbage
Minnesota - Average

Minnesota is not average IMO. They're undefeated so far this year and a Top 25 ranked team. Average teams don't get ranked. In addition, Fleck has won 9 of the last 10 which includes a 22 point win over Wisconsin AT Wisconsin and a bowl victory over Georgia Tech.

Minnesota is not average IMO. They're undefeated so far this year and a Top 25 ranked team. Average teams don't get ranked. In addition, Fleck has won 9 of the last 10 which includes a 22 point win over Wisconsin AT Wisconsin and a bowl victory over Georgia Tech.
Lol now we're pumping up Minnesota to be some great team to hide the fact that we have a bad team.

“3 or more”

Year 3 is the standard where you can’t blame your roster anymore. A good coach wins in year 2. They aren’t playing an elite schedule outside of OSU. Who on the schedule thus far is that good?

South Alabama - Garbage
Colorado - Garbage
Illinois - Garbage
OSU - Elite
Northwestern - Garbage
Minnesota - Average

There is one team on that list with a better roster. One.
If we truly hired a great coach, a rebuild shouldn't take that long. Most good coaches are able to turn things around in year 2. We're struggling to get to a 6-6 record with a garbage schedule. We have a much tougher schedule next year. We may be a better team and still have a losing record. If a coach doesn't start winning by year 3, it's probably never going to happen.

Reactions: skintight

Loom at Minnesota’s schedule. There is a reason they are 6-0. They have barely beaten FCS, G5 & bad P5 teams.

South Dakota State 28-21
Fresno State 38-35
Georgia Southern 35-32
Purdue 38-31
Illinois
Nebraska

There SOS is outside 100.
And they still get Rutgers, Maryland & Northwestern.
They will finish 10-2, beating no one.

Reactions: oldjar07
I used objective criteria.
Undefeated
Top 25
Have won 9/10
Dominated Wisconsin at Madison
2018 Bowl Win

Would you describe t team with that resume "average"?
Yes if we were ranked in the top 10, 90% of the board would be calling Minnesota an average team.

I used objective criteria.
Undefeated
Top 25
Have won 9/10
Dominated Wisconsin at Madison
2018 Bowl Win

Would you describe a team with that resume "average"?

This Minnesota team didn’t dominate Wisconsin.
This Minnesota team hasn’t beaten anybody.
In fact, they barely beat 4 bad teams.
They are average.

This Minnesota team didn’t dominate Wisconsin.
The team that faced Wisconsin late last year is mostly the same team that beat Minnesota this past weekend. If anything they were playing shorthanded vs. Wisconsin.

MN top RBs Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks who combined for 228 yards rushing vs. Nebraska were out with injury at Wisconsin last November. In addition, Tanner Morgan was a freshman QB starting his 5th game I believe.. The WR starters were the same - two of them were freshmen.

On defense, their top player Antoine Winfield, Jr. was out with injury. Another CB and a Safety were also injured.

The final score was Wisconsin 37-15. Minnesota led by 30 points 37-7 until Wisconsin scored with a minute left in the game. At Camp Randall. C'mon man.

Last edited:
Scott's trying, but he's struggling to figure this out with the cards he has to play.

The frightening thing is I'm afraid he just might believe his own bullshit. I've wondered about that for a while. I know he is not going to yell and scream about the lack of effort, the bad coaching, etc.. in a press conference but he is a Nebraska guy and he knows the fans deserve more from the players and the coaching staff, say you're very disappointed in yourself, the coaches and the players and get back to coaching. I think we might see some lineup changes. If things don't turnaround NO RAISES or extensions for anybody but Fisher.

I give him the benefit of doubt. He is just not comfortable with anything but his own offense.

LOL. 3 years is not enough time for any coach. Let's at least be consistent here when comparing coaches.
...enough time to establish anything that hinted at a positive trajectory to maybe contradict his career record. I liked him and really hoped he would succeed.

Reactions: HuskerO
Minnesota is also in year 2 of playing with the previous coaches recruits.

The prior Kill/Clayes regime at Minnesota we’re not bad at all. Kill was a good coach and he built a very solid program. There was a coaching change due to “so called” scandal. But there was still talent and belief in that locker room. Fleck took over a LOT more than Frost. Again he took over a solid foundation, Frost did not.

...enough time to establish anything that hinted at a positive trajectory to maybe contradict his career record. I liked him and really hoped he would succeed.
Frost has been in Lincoln less than 2 years. He started the season last year 0-6. We're 3-3 with 2 conference wins. I would say that's better than last year. We still have a very reasonable chance to at least get bowl eligible. I would say that's positive progress in year 2 of a COMPLETE rebuild.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT