ADVERTISEMENT

We got exposed big time this weekend

Truehuskerfan

Athletic Director
May 1, 2003
Better tamper down all of that praise-this team isn't nearly as good as it seemed the last few weeks. Still probably a regional team(it better be), but I'm not even sure whether we're good enough to host yet. I don't care how good Maryland is and playing them on the road-quality teams should not get swept. Looks like another short stay in the rankings.

This post was edited on 4/5 2:02 PM by Truehuskerfan

Offense just isn't good enough (I'd say yet, but this seems to be a consistent theme of Erstad teams).

Effort and intensity was extremely disappointing.

Went to game 2 yesterday..I thought our offensive approach was awful. The Maryland starter didn't appear to have much and I thought he tipped his off speed stuff by slowing his arm speed down. But he had us befuddled. Boldt had 3 line drive singles but other than that I saw a lot of defensive swings. Even on 2-0 and 3-1 counts--just seemed to be a lot of guys with no real idea how to go about their business.

Today...more of the same. We don't run much and we've got no pop at all. We're a station to station team that has to string together a bunch of hits to score...and we've got too many low average guys in the lineup to consistently string those hits together. That and we're giving away too many outs with sacrifice bunts.

They aren't as bad as they looked this weekend, but man did they look awful.

Extremely disappointing weekend, if we would've won today it would have been ok (maybe even expected), but to blow a 5-0 lead to cap off a sweep with the winning run scoring on an error makes for a brutal weekend.

Probably just emotionally drained and the schedule finally caught up with them.

Cal St Fullerton, the Texas sweep, and the Creighton beat down.
And then came Wednesday with UNO and the 10 inning grind.
The warning lights went out.
The Huskers sure could have used a series with NorthWestern or Purdue this weekend.
But Maryland was next up on the schedule.
No excuses.
It would have been nice to see the Huskers get the win Sunday but that's how it goes.
Chances are the Huskers will see the Terps again.
Next game up.
@ K State

We'll be alright, I would venture to say this weekend was more of a fluke than the other 30 games we've played this season. The team will bounce back. Maryland is a very good team and for whatever reason we didn't show up ready to go on the road this weekend, there is a reason road W's count for more in the RPI than home wins, it is very tough to win on the road especially against good-great opponents. Just ask Texas...

Maybe a bit harsh. We already knew we were offensively challenged. Pitching has been great, but not this past weekend. Will be an ebb and flow to the season. Just have to make sure these troughs don't last long.

My biggest concerns remain the very disappointing lack of power on this team AND our lack of aggressive base running. Maybe we just don't have the athletes for either but our inability to really create anything offensively this year is a comern.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by sklarbodds:
I don't ever draw big conclusions from one weekend. It's just not the way baseball works.
True, but there are some legitimate concerns following this weekend. We are now 0-5 vs top 50 teams with very few chances to improve on that. Come selection day we will want to have a better resume.

There are nine games vs top 50 left for us and that seems plenty enough but six of them are with Iowa and OSU. Should those two fall out, as I think they might, we'll have just three such games to grab any high quality wins. And those three will be played at Illinois. 0-8 or 1-7 vs top 50 is possible for us. Kinda ugly.

If our goal is to host a regional and our RPI stays at or near the magic 16 number, a poor resume at the high end may drop us to a two seed. Not what we want. We missed a golden opportunity in College Park and that shouldn't be overlooked.

Just looking at the downside. It is there to see.

Originally posted by bigredrl:
Maybe a bit harsh. We already knew we were offensively challenged. Pitching has been great, but not this past weekend. Will be an ebb and flow to the season. Just have to make sure these troughs don't last long.

My biggest concerns remain the very disappointing lack of power on this team AND our lack of aggressive base running. Maybe we just don't have the athletes for either but our inability to really create anything offensively this year is a comern.

I agree we will be alright. Rough weekends happen. Especially against good teams. But, I do agree with you on our lack of power and aggressive base running. Since day 1 Erstad has stated the goal is to put pressure on teams. How much pressure can we really put on a team with a roster full of guys with minimal power and marginal speed on the base paths? It would appear Erstad/Bolt did not do a great job recruiting to their philosophy. Oh and just a thought, it would be wise to keep Schleppenbach in the lineup.

I don't ever draw big conclusions from one weekend. It's just not the way baseball works.
An exception being the Oklahoma St. trip in 2006, the destruction of the program can be traced back to that individual weekend, both on and off the field.

This post was edited on 4/6 2:26 PM by Roscoe 12oz

Originally posted by Roscoe 12oz:
An exception being the Oklahoma St. trip in 2006, the destruction of the program can be traced back to that individual weekend, both on and off the field.

This post was edited on 4/6 2:26 PM by Roscoe 12oz
Sounds like a story I'm missing...I'm going to assume Anderson blew up and that was the weekend he lost the team?

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:

I agree we will be alright. Rough weekends happen. Especially against good teams. But, I do agree with you on our lack of power and aggressive base running. Since day 1 Erstad has stated the goal is to put pressure on teams. How much pressure can we really put on a team with a roster full of guys with minimal power and marginal speed on the base paths? It would appear Erstad/Bolt did not do a great job recruiting to their philosophy. Oh and just a thought, it would be wise to keep Schleppenbach in the lineup.
I really don't understand why he EVER comes out of the line-up. This is an anecdotal comment, as I have no clue about the inner workings of Darin and his staff, however, baseball coaches in general are some of the strangest people I have ever met. My kids played high level travel ball in 3 different states (programs with non parent coaches for the most part), HS ball in 2 different states, and college ball at the JC and D2 levels. My yongest is a hard throwing RHP and has D1 potential and now that he's finally healthy, just needs to be seen. Anyway, not sure there is another sport out there that is as relationship based as baseball. It's so subjective in terms of playing time and there are so many things that make you scratch your head say WTF.

Prolly not as prevelant at higher level D1 programs due to media commitments, etc...., but they are also some of the most socially awkard people I have ever been around.

Originally posted by huskerbaseball13:

I really don't understand why he EVER comes out of the line-up. This is an anecdotal comment, as I have no clue about the inner workings of Darin and his staff, however, baseball coaches in general are some of the strangest people I have ever met. My kids played high level travel ball in 3 different states (programs with non parent coaches for the most part), HS ball in 2 different states, and college ball at the JC and D2 levels. My yongest is a hard throwing RHP and has D1 potential and now that he's finally healthy, just needs to be seen. Anyway, not sure there is another sport out there that is as relationship based as baseball. It's so subjective in terms of playing time and there are so many things that make you scratch your head say WTF.

Prolly not as prevelant at higher level D1 programs due to media commitments, etc...., but they are also some of the most socially awkard people I have ever been around.
I will say that Schlepp getting pulled for Placzek was the oddest thing I've seen in awhile. I also didn't understand why we conceded the 1st game so easily to the weaker part of our bullpen. Maybe neither would have changed anything but you should always give yourself your best chance to win and I don't think those two situations did that for us. I won't mention why Schlepp didn't play the 2nd game while going 3/4 in the first but if anyone deserved to play all weekend outside of Boldt it was Schlepp. I just hope there is a method I'm not understanding or it serves as a learning opportunity for the coaching staff. Either way GBR!

Originally posted by TheHuskeRed:
Isn't Texas a top 50 team? Isn't our record then 3-5, not 0-5 against top 50 teams?
Texas is not currently in the top 50 of the RPI. I believe they are like mid 80's last i Iooked. They took a nosedive with losing 7 in a row.

I was finally able finish listening to the archived broadcasts. Bad weekends are bound to happen. Getting swept isn't ever acceptable, especially blowing a five run lead in game three, but getting knocked down a peg might be a positive in the long run. There is still a lot of season left to recover from this. That said, it will sting for a while. Just one win would have made a big difference.

It's clear the 2015 Huskers are the college equivalent of the 2014 Kansas City Royals. They are 0-8 so far this season when giving up four or more runs. That's honestly an alarming stat. There are gobs of great arms on the team but sometimes you need to just flat outscore your opponent. This weekend was a glaring exposure of the current inability to do so.

Chill, though. Good times are still ahead. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT