ADVERTISEMENT

We gave TO 21 years

It’s not even close to the same situation. Tom got to play in the big 8 and only had one real game a year. Tom never had to deal with the Big Ten requirements, the big 8 didn’t care if you could read or write if you could play football just sign here and you can be an Academic all American! Give frost some time he’s in a gun fight with the big 10 not the pillow fight of the big 8. Or keep firing your coaches and wonder why you keep starting over. It’s fun to watch from the outside!

The Big Ten sucked in the 70s and the 80s. It was two good teams with a bunch of fluff on the schedule. Reminds me of another conference. But Oklahoma and Nebraska were much better than Michigan and Ohio State.

With scholarship limits and other rule changes the lessor teams evolved. You can see it all over the country. Just don't beat your chest about how superior the Big Ten was back in the day. They weren't.

It’s not even close to the same situation. Tom got to play in the big 8 and only had one real game a year. Tom never had to deal with the Big Ten requirements, the big 8 didn’t care if you could read or write if you could play football just sign here and you can be an Academic all American! Give frost some time he’s in a gun fight with the big 10 not the pillow fight of the big 8. Or keep firing your coaches and wonder why you keep starting over. It’s fun to watch from the outside!

Big 10 ever have 4 top teams in the top 10 in the country by season end?

The Big 8 did.. Do you know what year?

Mostly Ohio St and Michigan won the Big 10 and every now and then one of the 6 or 7 other’s would have a good team now and then so don’t give us how good the Big 10 was more than the Big 8 facts will prove you wrong..

So you’re saying that TO was great because he coached in the Big 8 instead of the Big 10? You can’t be serious. I’m fairly certain TO steamrolled every Big 10 team he coached against. Get your facts straight you moron. Frost has a bad record because he’s a lousy coach. It’s really that simple.
He didn't steamroll the 1981 Hawkeyes.

I think we were betting on the star power of frost to recruit horses, not so much on frosts mental power.
remember frost went to stanford, cried about the NC after we killed tenn, and he lost our winning streak against asu...so far I haven't seen him recruit montana or rice...but there's still time

The Big Ten sucked in the 70s and the 80s. It was two good teams with a bunch of fluff on the schedule. Reminds me of another conference. But Oklahoma and Nebraska were much better than Michigan and Ohio State.

With scholarship limits and other rule changes the lessor teams evolved. You can see it all over the country. Just don't beat your chest about how superior the Big Ten was back in the day. They weren't.
TO was one of the greatest coaches of all time .. below are the data

During Tom Osborne's 25 years he played 20 teams in the big 8/12 that finished the season ranked in the AP top 10

During this same 25 years the Big Ten had 37 teams finish the season in the AP top 10

TO had a 0.346 winning percentage against top 10 teams

Last edited:
TO was one of the greatest coaches of all time .. below are the data

During Tom Osborne's 25 years he played 20 teams in the big 8/12 that finished the season ranked in the AP top 10

During this same 25 years the Big Ten had 37 teams finish the season in the AP top 10

TO had a 0.346 winning percentage against top 10 teams

TO was 0-2 in games against Big Ten opponents who finished the season ranked in the top 10 -- losing to Iowa and Michigan

How many times were the teams Ohio St and Michigan?

I will look that one up after I eat breakfast and the majority of them are those two..

From 1960- 1985

Winning percentage of the worst teams in both conference’s below .500.

69) Minnesota- 0.496
75) Oklahoma St 0.480
85) Kansas 0.452
88) Wisconsin 0.443
89) Iowa St 0.442
91) Illinois 0.428
92) Ioway 0.425
107) Indiana 0.336
112) Northwestern 0.285
114) Kansas State 0.269

Reactions: bigboxes
How many times were the teams Ohio St and Michigan?

I will look that one up after I eat breakfast and the majority of them are those two..

Ioway was ranked 15th in 1981.. They didn’t finish a top 10 team..

Get your facts in order..

Last edited:
We didn't give TO 21 years to be .500 we gave him 21 years to win it all. His teams were ALWAYS very good, they just weren't always elite.

I don't know what ails Nebraska any more. I don't understand why no staff seems to be able to keep its best players on the team long enough to get something out of them. I'm at that point where I just wanna see Frost get 5 years worth so we can figure it out one way or another if he can win with a roster full of his guys who are upperclassmen. I can't stomach another transition and complete change of offensive and defensive schemes at this point.

Ioway was ranked 15th in 1981.. They didn’t finish a top 10 team..

Get your facts in order..

once again - thank you for the fact check ---

TO only played 2 big ten teams that finished the season ranked anywhere in the final poll

he was 0-2 against any big ten team that finished the season ranked anywhere in the AP top 20 during his tenure (I thought he was 0-2 against elite top 10 teams - but as it turns out it was 0-2 against any big ten ranked team)

thanks for flagging up the error so it could be corrected

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
So you’re saying that TO was great because he coached in the Big 8 instead of the Big 10? You can’t be serious. I’m fairly certain TO steamrolled every Big 10 team he coached against. Get your facts straight you moron. Frost has a bad record because he’s a lousy coach. It’s really that simple.

Well, as mentioned before recently, there's a MONSTER sized difference between NU programs TO & HCSF started with.
TO took over NU that won two NCs in the previous three years. HCSF took over Smiling Mike's two losing seasons in the previous three years.

Yes, of course HCSF needs to get several things straightened out. I betting he will & I'll also bet he's the last chance we'll get. We'll see.....

By my count, TO finished in the Top 10 seventeen times. So assuming TO never coached against himself, that would mean the Big 8/Big 12 also had at least 37 teams finish the Top 10 during that time, correct? (Might have even been a couple more, since Big 12 teams didn't always play each other.)

I don't dispute the idea that TO compiled some easy wins in the Big 8, but I always laugh out loud when this is brought up by Big Ten die-hards. Because, you know, other than those decades in which Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern were absolute dog shit and the pre-Alvarez era when Wisconsin was awful, there were never any easy wins in the Blowhard Ten.

Reactions: bigboxes
By my count, TO finished in the Top 10 seventeen times. So assuming TO never coached against himself, that would mean the Big 8/Big 12 also had at least 37 teams finish the Top 10 during that time, correct? (Might have even been a couple more, since Big 12 teams didn't always play each other.)

I don't dispute the idea that TO compiled some easy wins in the Big 8, but I always laugh out loud when this is brought up by Big Ten die-hards. Because, you know, other than those decades in which Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern were absolute dog shit and the pre-Alvarez era when Wisconsin was awful, there were never any easy wins in the Blowhard Ten.

Ioway was dog shot right along with them.. Except Purdue.😁

Reactions: kidofSN
No one expected Frost to turn it around in Year One. However, we're in Year Three and things are not better at all. In fact, they might be worse. A decent coach could have had a winning record and bowl game by Year Three at Nebraska, no matter how low they started.

North Carolina had won two conference games in two years when Mack Brown took over. Despite being at a basketball school surrounded by some of college football's most storied programs, things changed almost overnight.

Does anybody really think North Carolina already featured a roster full of talented high-character guys? No, he had egos and discipline issues like anybody else. The difference is that good coaches MANAGE that stuff, rather than let it dominate them.

I see nothing from Frost that suggests he is midway through a big turnaround. He seems to be totally clueless about what to do. Frost doesn't have 1/2 of the intelligence of Tom Osborne, so any comparison is ridiculous.

I went to a Minnesota Wisconsin game in the early '80s when I was a kid. It was great fun. We just made snowballs and threw them on to the sidelines. It was the equivalent of a Kansas Kansas State game back in the day. Nebraska played Minnesota a couple years later and scored 84 I think. They were literally murdering gopher players on the field. Complete bloodbath

I went to a Minnesota Wisconsin game in the early '80s when I was a kid. It was great fun. We just made snowballs and threw them on to the sidelines. It was the equivalent of a Kansas Kansas State game back in the day. Nebraska played Minnesota a couple years later and scored 84 I think. They were literally murdering gopher players on the field. Complete bloodbath

The Scoring Explosion

Yeah had to suffer through too many 9 seasons until he figured it out. Oh and tell me how Scot gets too a . 836 winning percentage . Or even Toms worst year winning percentage .731

Scott is more likely to go down as the worst coach at Nebraska Since William Jennings .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT