ADVERTISEMENT

"We are not recruiting well."

timnsun

Head Coach
Jan 25, 2008
So says a poster in another thread... It got me thinking... Maybe I am wrong and said poster who opened an account last month is right. I have been of the opinion that things are going quite well in recruiting, but maybe not?

What do people think?

I get that the recruiting class isn't in the books, but where do you fall? Are we, or are we not, recruiting well?

So says a poster in another thread... It got me thinking... Maybe I am wrong and said poster who opened an account last month is right. I have been of the opinion that things are going quite well in recruiting, but maybe not?

What do people think?

I get that the recruiting class isn't in the books, but where do you fall? Are we, or are we not, recruiting well?
Anyone who thinks we are not recruiting well is either stupid or trolling. Or both.

I think it's safe to say most reasonable people are very happy with where we're at, and we're greedy as heck, and we want just a little bit more!!

I believe the coaches are recruiting well. With that said, it may not show in the final rankings. This staff is in on, and getting visits from, some very good players. The problem is they have to land some of the remaining targets as well. I believe the getting in on these players is a huge step. When Nebraska can get players to campus and experience a game day atmosphere, it increases the chances of landing players exponentially.

But like I said the overall recruiting is very good, results are still TBD.

This is not critical of the staff in any way.

To say we aren't recruiting well this season is like saying we don't grow corn in this state.

The list of recruit options is deep and wide and only improving as the season goes on. We've had more 5* and 4* officials on campus thus far than I can remember.

The quality of depth in this class allows us to finish strong. True, we won't get them all, but we will enjoy what we do get for sure.

I like what this staff is doing in terms of getting recruits interested and getting them on campus. I think they're recruiting class overall is going to be one of the best we've seen in awhile for the University. That said coffee is for closers and we need to start handing out some big cups of java. I know we're going to have to wait until Signing Day or all the All American Games for quite a few of these guys but we need to make sure we get some big cups of coffee out because we've got some guys that are closing. And I do believe this staff has that. I can easily see this staff getting a final class in the top 15 for sure

I guess a better way to state my opinion is that Nebraska could miss on some dudes and finish 20-25 in the final recruiting rankings. But that ranking will not necessarily be an indictment on how well they recruited.

Nate Clouse tweeted a [free] Mike Farrell article and in it, this was stated:

Surprising class Maryland, Rutgers and Iowa are all ranked higher, but Nebraska has less commitments than all of them and the No. 4 average star ranking in the conference. Is that a surprise with the Huskers undefeated? A little bit as the buzz around Nebraska has been unlike anything I’ve seen with the Huskers in a decade and the Calibraska movement is strong.

Anyone who thinks we are not recruiting well is either stupid or trolling. Or both.
Hurrah for this post !!! And the stupid and trolling should also admit we are top developers of talent; their rehab would be enhanced by riding the wave early.

Surprising class Maryland, Rutgers and Iowa are all ranked higher, but Nebraska has less commitments than all of them and the No. 4 average star ranking in the conference. Is that a surprise with the Huskers undefeated? A little bit as the buzz around Nebraska has been unlike anything I’ve seen with the Huskers in a decade and the Calibraska movement is strong.
Johnson might be our most important recruit in a long time. He's brought a lot of buzz to our program.

Reactions: StrongArm517
I'll probably wait until the cycle ends to figure out where we stand..

As it is right now things seem pretty positive IMO although unknown..

Reactions: timnsun

This is why I prefer to look at the average rating over anything else. Nebraska seems to do fairly well in that respect..

The fall back plan for this staff if the top recruits dont sign will be organized and vetted, not a blind swing at someone. Or a flat out flyer on a player that has no business getting an offer either due to talent or behavior

Great point. I don't typically reference the last staff, but I think there is an important distinction here. When we missed on Andrus Peat or Owa or someone like that they seemed to have no real contingency. I also think that regarding the average star rating will improve, because I see some or our three stars getting bumped to four later on. I think there's a good chance we end up with two five stars and isn't out of the realm of possibility that we land three. The other thing about recruiting is that recruiting talent is only half of doing it well, it also requires managing a roster. We're doing that very well.

Reactions: StrongArm517

What do people think?

What sport are we talking about here if we aren't really recruiting well? SmokinLaughing

Reactions: timnsun
Well folks, I appreciate the responses and certainly do feel better... I guess I will take your word for it and not some newbie troll type poster.

As I suspected all along, most would agree that we are doing a fine job recruiting... we just have to finish.

I don't know how someone can say one way or the other how Nebraska is recruiting, because no team has signed anyone as of yet. It also depends on what your definition of "well" is. Is Nebraska recruiting well compared to Bama and tOSU? No, but not many really are compared to those two. Is Nebraska recruiting well compared to Minnesota or Purdue? Yes.

We're 27th on Rivals and 23rd on 24/7. I looked last night and we would need to land Joseph Lewis, Foster Sarell, Stephen Carr, Jaylon Johnson, Jamire Calvin, Rahyme Johnson, Damion Daniels, Darnay Holmes, and Aaron Banks, to probably finish in the top 10 and last I checked, the top 10 is where you want to be in recruiting.

Nebraska is doing a great job getting talent to come here and visit. That doesn't do us much good though if all they do is visit. So, until signing day, no one knows how well Nebraska is recruiting.

Reactions: nebcountry
I don't know how someone can say one way or the other how Nebraska is recruiting, because no team has signed anyone as of yet. It also depends on what your definition of "well" is. Is Nebraska recruiting well compared to Bama and tOSU? No, but not many really are compared to those two. Is Nebraska recruiting well compared to Minnesota or Purdue? Yes.

We're 27th on Rivals and 23rd on 24/7. I looked last night and we would need to land Joseph Lewis, Foster Sarell, Stephen Carr, Jaylon Johnson, Jamire Calvin, Rahyme Johnson, Damion Daniels, Darnay Holmes, and Aaron Banks, to probably finish in the top 10 and last I checked, the top 10 is where you want to be in recruiting.

Nebraska is doing a great job getting talent to come here and visit. That doesn't do us much good though if all they do is visit. So, until signing day, no one knows how well Nebraska is recruiting.
good post - as with most things in life you are judged by results, but to get results you must focus on the process. I think as far as the process this staff is doing an excellent job, the final result is still to be determined. I do have one concern however ** If this staff does everything right and yet we still do not get these top recruits to commit, then all of the hard work and planning is wasted effort.

good post - as with most things in life you are judged by results, but to get results you must focus on the process. I think as far as the process this staff is doing an excellent job, the final result is still to be determined. I do have one concern however ** If this staff does everything right and yet we still do not get these top recruits to commit, then all of the hard work and planning is wasted effort.

I believe the backup plan players are better than they have been in year's past. All of the talk is on the high 4 and 5 star guys. But rest assured the staff is continuing to recruit plan b guys as well.

I believe, not guarantee, you will see that if the staff does not get Lewis, for example, the guy they do get will be on par with the guys the last staff targeted as plan A guys. just my opinion.

I agree that you can't fully judge how the recruiting will finish at this point. That being said, all you have to judge right now is the process and the level of player that is actually visiting the campus, either on the school's tab or even better, on their own dime.

If you want to look at it that way, then nobody knows how well anybody is doing in recruiting right now. I also would disagree that we must be in the top 10 for us to be considered to be doing "well" in recruiting.

What do people think?

That is dumb as shit. We are recruiting extremely well.

If this staff does everything right and yet we still do not get these top recruits to commit, then all of the hard work and planning is wasted effort.

I don't think it's wasted at all. Relationships are being built and other players, maybe future recruits, see that all these high profile guys are visiting and that might get them to visit.

I don't think it's wasted at all. Relationships are being built and other players, maybe future recruits, see that all these high profile guys are visiting and that might get them to visit.
Save the effort. This staff could win 5 NC's in a row and he would not give them any credit.

Will wait until the hay is in the barn. We are bringing in a lot of great talent, but still gotta close the deal.

We talk "well" and "good", some people attach a ranking criteria, some people don't care about the ranking. So "good" could be top 10, for others top 25, how many offers the players have, average stars, # of bluechippers, etc.

We're getting visits, and/or getting interest, and that's good. We still have to wait until February though. I think we should routinely be in the top 20, year-in and year-out, but that's just me.

We talk "well" and "good", some people attach a ranking criteria, some people don't care about the ranking. So "good" could be top 10, for others top 25, how many offers the players have, average stars, # of bluechippers, etc.

We're getting visits, and/or getting interest, and that's good. We still have to wait until February though. I think we should routinely be in the top 20, year-in and year-out, but that's just me.
I don't think it's just you. We should routinely be top 20 at a minimum, and I think this staff can make this a reality. We won't know on this class until February, but things sure look good right now.

Reactions: nebcountry

Get ready to be in the Top 10.

Pretty sure OP is referring to these quotes: Which are, in fact, dumb as shit.

Recruiting must improve quite a bit though. We are not recruiting well.
87 HuskerFiend, Tuesday at 8:26 PM

You're correct in that we have an outlandish amount of 4 and 5 stars committed. I miss spoke and apologize for that. Recruiting is extremely good. We might make the top 25 yet!
94 HuskerFiend, Tuesday at 8:47 PM
just a bad day i deleted my smart ass reply uncalled for

I think rankings are relevant but don't tell the whole story. It looks like rankings are kind of generic assessments of the amount of talent brought into a team. Obviously, all things being equal the more talent you bring in the better. The teams which play for national titles tend to recruit top ten to top fifteen classes, but average star ranking is probably a better metric than final recruiting ranking. But there are also teams that routinely fail to play up to the level of their recruiting rankings. Filling needs, recruiting players that fit your model and evaluating how well a player fits are also important. I believe that the staff is succeeding in both areas; we will get good talent and the players we bring in will have a better chance of contributing to a good team, whether starting, providing quality depth, contributing on special teams or elevating the level of practice.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT