Wazzu fall classes online only

VandallHuskerJulie

First Team All-Big Ten
Oct 13, 2001
Fall shifting to remote Cougar experience
HorizLine-100px-e4e4e4.png

July 23, 2020

To our Cougar community on the WSU Pullman campus:

We write today with disappointing news. Our fall 2020 semester at WSU Pullman will not be what we hoped, wanted, or planned.

Given the alarming rise in the number of COVID‑19 cases regionally and nationally, all undergraduate courses at WSU Pullman will be delivered at a distance and will be completed remotely, with extremely limited exceptions for in‑person instruction. Information regarding WSU Pullman graduate coursework and instructional delivery methods will be announced by August 1.

We are coordinating closely as a WSU system in finalizing plans for the fall. Our other campuses will announce their plans shortly.

https://from.wsu.edu/president/2020...B5V9KsjvuU76CTIpWE_3-bdA1w72lzAVbvuFp1h1vaPgE

Sounds like there will be a lot of community colleges with surging enrollments.
The Dakotas and Nebraska are wide open as far as I know. Pick em up. Talked to a kid heading to LIncoln for grad school and she's very happy to be returning to campus. Put the old farts like me in isolation and let some youngsters teach classes.

Actually I don't know what the status is for the CCs in Washington so you may be right - depending on their location. Wazzu's closure was a bit surprising - wondering if U of I is going to follow along. We don't have a lot of medical resources so I'm assuming that's part of the reason why Wazzu went with online only. Plus most of the students come from the west side of the state which no doubt accounts for the increasing Covid #s.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Fall shifting to remote Cougar experience
HorizLine-100px-e4e4e4.png

July 23, 2020

To our Cougar community on the WSU Pullman campus:

We write today with disappointing news. Our fall 2020 semester at WSU Pullman will not be what we hoped, wanted, or planned.

Given the alarming rise in the number of COVID‑19 cases regionally and nationally, all undergraduate courses at WSU Pullman will be delivered at a distance and will be completed remotely, with extremely limited exceptions for in‑person instruction. Information regarding WSU Pullman graduate coursework and instructional delivery methods will be announced by August 1.

We are coordinating closely as a WSU system in finalizing plans for the fall. Our other campuses will announce their plans shortly.

https://from.wsu.edu/president/2020...B5V9KsjvuU76CTIpWE_3-bdA1w72lzAVbvuFp1h1vaPgE
Typical PAC and west/left coast. No surprise here

Reactions: leodisflowers
Actually I don't know what the status is for the CCs in Washington so you may be right - depending on their location. Wazzu's closure was a bit surprising - wondering if U of I is going to follow along. We don't have a lot of medical resources so I'm assuming that's part of the reason why Wazzu went with online only. Plus most of the students come from the west side of the state which no doubt accounts for the increasing Covid #s.

I am not saying they’re right or wrong. I am just saying that it’s crazy to go to a costly brick and mortar school just to take online classes (especially in the first two years of college) when there are community colleges that are a fraction of the cost and will have their credits transfer.

People are paying for an experience and networking at big schools. When that’s taken away, why not go to a less expensive option?

Covid 19 Dashboard Washington State 7/22/20
Confirmed cases 50, 009
Hospitalizations 5,726
Deaths 1,482
Percent of deaths 3.0%
Total tests 870,763
Percent positive 5.7 %https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/NovelCoronavirusOutbreak2020COVID19/DataDashboard
The key numbers are the number of active cases, current hospitalizations, daily deaths and what their curves look like. 5726 total hospitalizations for a state that size seems fairly low. Many people are staying just a few days now with COVID. Some hospitals are seeing stays as short as 2 days. The dashboard loaded very slowly and I don't see any current numbers. The state just posting total numbers like that really doesn't say anything about the current situation does it? People in our area get alarmed when they see a few more cases diagnosed, then you see that more people have recovered and you actually have fewer active cases in the county than we did the day or week before.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I just don’t know what to think anymore. My former employer, DeSales University (near Allentown, PA) has a large incoming Freshman class and all classes will be on campus, with a few reasonable social distancing practices in place. Lots of disinfectant everywhere and the professors lectern will be surrounded by plastic. Teaching loads have been increased so a prof will teach two sections of the same course cutting the number of students in the classroom by half.

But all of that seems like a waste of time. College kids on campus are not going to socially distance once out of the classroom.

So we need to admit that and cut the bullshit. Either go all online or just return to normal classes. But this nonsense of wearing masks and staying six feet apart in a classroom is just litigation avoiding bullshit. Once out of the classroom there will be zero social distancing.

As for football... lol. There can be, by definition, no social distancing in a football practice.

I dread another year of online classes for my junior son in high school. He hates them, doesn't get shit dun, will learn basically nothing, and I know he is one of millions of examples. Just call off the whole damn year if they aren't going to have actual classes and make them get a job and prove they got a job, and they'd learn more and get more out of it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I just don’t know what to think anymore. My former employer, DeSales University (near Allentown, PA) has a large incoming Freshman class and all classes will be on campus, with a few reasonable social distancing practices in place. Lots of disinfectant everywhere and the professors lectern will be surrounded by plastic. Teaching loads have been increased so a prof will teach two sections of the same course cutting the number of students in the classroom by half.

But all of that seems like a waste of time. College kids on campus are not going to socially distance once out of the classroom.

So we need to admit that and cut the bullshit. Either go all online or just return to normal classes. But this nonsense of wearing masks and staying six feet apart in a classroom is just litigation avoiding bullshit. Once out of the classroom there will be zero social distancing.

As for football... lol. There can be, by definition, no social distancing in a football practice.
Think this. Your former employer understands that the risk to college aged kids of having serious illness from this virus are EXTREMELY low even if a kid has asthma. The risks from COVID appear to be way lower for that age group than the flu. They also understand that the kids are not following social distancing rules away from campus. They're doing the logical thing in protecting the more at risk profs and letting the college kids be college kids. The whole country should be following that model for high school and college kids IMO.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT