ADVERTISEMENT

Way, way, WAY too early starting lineup for 2016

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
I fully realize fall ball has yet to even start and it's pretty dumb to predict who will be our starters come next year. I've never been accused of doing sane things consistently, so keeping in step with that moniker, here's what I would offer up as my starting lineup for next year.

1B - Schreiber
2B - Schleppenbach
3B - Placzek
SS - Reveles
LF - Alvarado
CF - Boldt
RF - Dilday
C - Wilkening/Fish
DH - Miller

Friday P - King
Saturday P - Burkamper
Sunday P - Knutson/Meyers
Closer - Howell

Will be interesting to see if any of the new talent coming in can break thru and start. Any obvious "you are out of your mind" picks there? If not, I hate to say it but I do not see any major upgrades that will take us to the next level. Fan for life and will follow them always and hopefully the experience Schreiber, Alvarado and Dilday got this year will pay off next year. Catching will be an interesting development, with Wilkening showing great promise. Who am I missing?

PS: Apologize up front for any player name misspelling ...

Last edited:
Looks about right...wouldn't be surprised to see Childs get some PT at catcher. No inside information but I'm assuming they are bringing him in for defensive purposes because he did not hit much in juco ball(234 AVG). Just the few times behind the plate last year Fish did not look very comfortable. Guys like Alvarado and Schreiber seem to have the potential for some power so hopefully this staff will be able to develop some of the younger talent. If not, it will be the same story different year. I think the talent is there for the most part to at atleast obtain a regional bid, just need to put it all together.

Looks about right to me. I think the pitching will keep us in games and we'll need to see what the offense can produce. Boldt is only going to improve even more and drive in more runs if Reveles and Schleppy can get on base. I think more ABs for Alvarado and Dilday will do them good and produce more balls in the gaps as they have power.
My batting line up:
Schleppy 2B
Reveles SS
Boldt CF
Miller DH
Schreiber 1B
Alvarado RF
Dilday LF
Fish C
Placzek 3B

I think there are some runs in that line up...3B could be the place where someone breaks through...

I agree that solid pitching and defense will take you far. Looking at the defense up the middle, I like Boldt and Shep a lot. Reveles can have errant throws on occasion but is serviceable. That leaves the catcher, and Lubach's loss might be felt quite a bit. I like Fish's swing at the plate but don't think he has all the traits behind the dish to be a stud defensive catcher.

I see that the new guy Wilkening is a decent hitter with a little pop, and the fact he was drafted by the Diamondbacks hopefully says he has solid defensive skills as well. If he pans out we could be pretty salty up the middle.

Dilday, Alvarado and Schriber have to come of age and take it up a few notches offensively for us to be relavant. Pitching seems to be there, so improvements in the offense is the missing piece for this team. Not overly speedy but not slow of foot either. Am really thinking this is the year DE gets it together as he grows in his manager role.

Good list and I agree, I am curious to see the progress from the freshman class to their sophomore years. Both position players and on the mound. IMO their improvement will be the make or break for this season.

ADVERTISEMENT