• 11/14 @ Iowa - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
Overall 8 - 4
Home 5 - 2
Road 3 - 2

• Another top 25 recruiting class
  • Bowl Game (Win or Lose)

Would this calm everyone nerves or would the sky still be falling??

Reactions: jedimasterjed
I don’t think you will get many takers here. I know I won’t, I will not guess like I did last years schedule and season. I’m in full wait and see mode right now. I know we could go anywhere from 7-6 up to 9-3. That’s the best and closest I’ll go to guessing next season. I honestly think 7-6 to 8-4 is realistic. And I’d have to guess going 8-4 in year 3 would have most feeling better to good. And I fully agree, we’d definitely have another Top 18 to Top 15 recruiting class locked up.

• 09/05 Purdue - W
  • 09/12 Central Michigan - W
  • 09/19 South Dakota St. - W
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/03 @ Northwestern - W
  • 10/10 Illinois - W
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
Overall 8 - 4
Home 5 - 2
Road 3 - 2

I would be perfectly fine with this outcome.

I'll comment after I watch us play Purdue. If we come out and look good, I'll buy this team a little more. I think we are starting to get some athletes. They just need to play.

agreed there. We are loading up the talent, it’s now all about putting them together and running our system. I think having Lubick reunited back with Frost will help our offense TONS.

Your expectations are nearly identical to mine, though I could see us losing to Purdue and Minnesota as well. I consider them Tossups along with Cincinnati, Iowa, and possibly Illinois (wow, yuck). However, because it's year 3 and it's about damn time we start beating teams like Purdue, I've set my expectations at 7-5. That said, my floor is 6-6 and my ceiling is 9-3.
  • 09/05 Purdue - TOSS (W)
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - TOSS (L)
  • 10/10 Illinois - TOSS (W)
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - TOSS (W)
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - TOSS (L)

agreed there. We are loading up the talent, it’s now all about putting them together and running our system. I think having Lubick reunited back with Frost will help our offense TONS.

I felt like Frost was already throwing Walters under the bus. He better hope Lubick makes us look a lot better for as many indirect shots as Walters took in the presser today.

Here is my take:

• 09/05 Purdue TOSSUP - W
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - W
  • 10/10 Illinois - W
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa TOSSUP - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
I am being a crazy optimist with this. Having said that, we have to hit 6-6 and go bowling. With the way the schedule is loaded with tougher games at the end, I think the following are key:

1.) If we struggle mightily against Purdue, win or loss, that does not bode well.
2.) If we actually LOSE to Purdue, 6-6 will be my realistic goal.
3.) If we beat the crap out of Purdue, I think we'll have a great shot at going undefeated until we hit Ohio State.

I agree with the above posts: a lot of how I feel about this team and the season will, happily, be able to be determined in Game 1.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
Here is my take:

• 09/05 Purdue TOSSUP - W
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - W
  • 10/10 Illinois - W
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa TOSSUP - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
I am being a crazy optimist with this. Having said that, we have to hit 6-6 and go bowling. With the way the schedule is loaded with tougher games at the end, I think the following are key:

1.) If we struggle mightily against Purdue, win or loss, that does not bode well.
2.) If we actually LOSE to Purdue, 6-6 will be my realistic goal.
3.) If we beat the crap out of Purdue, I think we'll have a great shot at going undefeated until we hit Ohio State.

I agree with the above posts: a lot of how I feel about this team and the season will, happily, be able to be determined in Game 1.

Man, if we lose to Purdue, I feel like it is going to get real real ugly around here.

I think we will be 9-3, and that's coming from a gold member, not just some random dude
giphy.gif

Man, if we lose to Purdue, I feel like it is going to get real real ugly around here.

The nature of the loss will figure into it for me. If we get beat by Moore and their other WR in a close, well played and clean game, that does not necessarily bode I'll of the future. If we lose to them like last year--yes, that would be a disaster. It would show that this staff has been unable to remedy issues that have plagued them for the last two years.

Reactions: husker2612
The nature of the loss will figure into it for me. If we get beat by Moore and their other WR in a close, well played and clean game, that does not necessarily bode I'll of the future. If we lose to them like last year--yes, that would be a disaster. It would show that this staff has been unable to remedy issues that have plagued them for the last two years.
Think about how the last two football seasons and this current basketball season have begun, and it underscores how completely demoralizing all of them have been.
  • The 2018 season began by missing a near-certain win vs. Akron, a last-second loss to Colorado and an upset by Troy. We knew we were in deep shit before September was half over.
  • The 2019 football season began with that lackluster effort against South Alabama, and if you were in the stadium, the sense of foreboding was thick enough to cut with a chainsaw. Then we blew that CU game, and it was all over except the pouting.
  • The 2019-2020 basketball season opened with back-to-back home losses to Cal-Riverside and Southern Utah.
At the very least, even if we finish 6-6 next year, it would nice to get off on the right foot and at least have something bigger to look forward to, even if it doesn't materialize in the end, kind of like that 2016 football mirage when we jumped out to a 7-0 start, or that 2018-2019 basketball start that included the destruction of the North Omaha U. bluebirds at the Vault.

Purdue really doesn't lose too much. The lose a really good TE in Hopkins and 2 or 3 defensive players, the main one by the LB Holt who led the team in tackles. Sindelar decided not to come back, but Plummer played most of the season at QB. Moore comes back and Bell was as high as a 2nd team all Big Ten member and had over 1,000 receiving yards. Plus I think they are getting back Lorenzo Neal at DT after an injury last year.

Purdue aint going to be a pushover and if Brohm finds a QB in the transfer portal they could be a handful on offense.

Purdue really doesn't lose too much. The lose a really good TE in Hopkins and 2 or 3 defensive players, the main one by the LB Holt who led the team in tackles. Sindelar decided not to come back, but Plummer played most of the season at QB. Moore comes back and Bell was as high as a 2nd team all Big Ten member and had over 1,000 receiving yards. Plus I think they are getting back Lorenzo Neal at DT after an injury last year.

Purdue aint going to be a pushover and if Brohm finds a QB in the transfer portal they could be a handful on offense.

They aren't a pushover, but they aren't good. They went 4-8 last year and that is with us pissing away the game. I know they've had injuries and other things happen, but we have better everything across the board except for Rondale. We should beat them comfortably especially with Disco Diaco heading up the D, but what do I know. Since I stated all of those things we probably lose again.

Reactions: bigredhunter
  • 09/05 Purdue - W
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/10 Illinois - W
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
Overall 8 - 4
Home 5 - 2
Road 3 - 2

I played this guessing game and lost big time last year. Not saying I won't again but going to wait to make guesses till at least fall. I do think Illinois is going to surprise many this year. I just have this gut feeling we lose that one. I do think this is the year we finally get that Iowa and or Wisc Monkey off our backs. So right now Im in that 6-6 worst case 8-4 best case

Yep, it is to that point that all the excuses and reasons for the bad losses are over. 3 years in this staff should be able to field a competent well disciplined team. One who beats teams we should, and plays tough, competent football against those we shouldn't. If we can't and continue with the same issues, I don't see this ending well.

While I'm firm in my 7-5 numbers, I think 8-4 should make even the most koolaid drinkinest fan happy.

By my recollections, 8-4 was sort of the common thoughts for last year. If they do go 8-4 this year, with this schedule, the improved teams, the tough crossover sched, replicating what many thought would have been good for last year, this year is improvement over that.

Reactions: bshirt73
Yep, it is to that point that all the excuses and reasons for the bad losses are over. 3 years in this staff should be able to field a competent well disciplined team. One who beats teams we should, and plays tough, competent football against those we shouldn't. If we can't and continue with the same issues, I don't see this ending well.

I think how Adrian looks plays a big factor too (assuming he is the starter). If he takes a step forward from his first year that will give me a lot of hope. If he looks like he did last year, I'll probably be ready to throw in the towel and hope for a bowl game at best.

I felt like Frost was already throwing Walters under the bus. He better hope Lubick makes us look a lot better for as many indirect shots as Walters took in the presser today.
What did he say? I hadn't heard anything about it, yet.

My expectations are not very high these days. Tired of setting the bar high and watching us fall flat. We're still a long ways away from being "back". Until we start making some real strides, predictions are meh. Will still watch every game, but maybe in a recliner...not on the edge of my seat, and certainly not pacing back and forth like I used to when every game was a make-or-break for a NC run.

Last edited:
The market is telling us next season will be a disaster amd we better stock up on toilet paper now for the shitstorm ahead.

9-3

3 games on the schedule are must wins, South Dakota St, Rutgers and Directional Michigan. The remaining 9 games are toss ups at best. So if you win 5 of the 9 "toss ups" you are at 8-4. That is the ceiling, in my opinion. I guess 3-9 would be the floor, if you lost all 9. I would guess 5-7, 6-6 or 7-5 would be were Nebraska finishes in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: nu2u
I think how Adrian looks plays a big factor too (assuming he is the starter). If he takes a step forward from his first year that will give me a lot of hope. If he looks like he did last year, I'll probably be ready to throw in the towel and hope for a bowl game at best.
During the presser today. Frost was asked if there is going to be a legit QB battle this spring and fall. Frost said something like, we are going to play the best guys at every position. Doesn't matter if it is QB or line, nobody is guaranteed a starting spot here.
I do think that Martinez will have the edge, deserved or not. It is going to take another QB far surpassing Martinez to win the job.

They aren't a pushover, but they aren't good. They went 4-8 last year and that is with us pissing away the game. I know they've had injuries and other things happen, but we have better everything across the board except for Rondale. We should beat them comfortably especially with Disco Diaco heading up the D, but what do I know. Since I stated all of those things we probably lose again.
Hey guys, great follow. I will chime in that Purdue should be much better next year. I'm predicting 8 wins for Purdue. Purdue returns two QB's that threw for 400 yards in a game last year. Both of those games happened without Rondale. RB and WR is set. Blocking at TE is set. Pass catching TE? They both redshirted last year, so big ?. The offensive issue last year was starting 3 underclassman on the oline including a walk-on sophmore center. As the oline got better, the O got better. So many new faces though, so it was hard for Brohm to do anything. Plus David Bell was playing with a torn Labrum last year.

Defensively. Huge question mark. I know you guys aren't high on Diaco, but the defense cannot be worse. The Dline should be really good regardless of the 3-4 or 4-3 front. Purdue moved it's DE back to ILB this off-season because LB is the biggest question mark. I believe the pass rush and run stop will be good, but I'm afraid Purdue might be susceptible to the quick pass over the middle. Their nickel back started 12 games as a freshman last year at 6'3 225. Look for him to make a big step forward. Secondary. Well. It can't be worse because it won't be starting 3 underclassman. It sounds like the defense is amped up to play for Diaco, something you didn't see under Holt.

The first game is going to be very telling for both teams and I'm expecting a pretty good game tbh.

• 09/05 Purdue - L
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/10 Illinois - L
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - L
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - L
Overall 4 - 8
Home 2 - 5
Road 2 - 3

Purdue, Illinois, SDSU, and Cincy will be very close games. Could win all 4 could lose all 4. Knowing how we've done in close games in Scott's tenure I'd say 1-3 in that stretch.

• 09/05 Purdue - L
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/10 Illinois - L
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - L
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - L
Overall 4 - 8
Home 2 - 5
Road 2 - 3

Purdue, Illinois, SDSU, and Cincy will be very close games. Could win all 4 could lose all 4. Knowing how we've done in close games in Scott's tenure I'd say 1-3 in that stretch.
If we are going to get all pissed off about “hype” when things like ESPN putting us in the Top 25 happen, shouldn’t we also do the same for moronic, sky is falling crap like this too?

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
If we are going to get all pissed off about “hype” when things like ESPN putting us in the Top 25 happen, shouldn’t we also do the same for moronic, sky is falling crap like this too?

I would say no, because 4-8 is probably more realistic than 8-4.

Reactions: TheNewNU
  • 09/05 Purdue - L
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/10 Illinois - L
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - L
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - L
Overall 4 - 8
Home 2 - 5
Road 2 - 3

Shocker.

I would say no, because 4-8 is probably more realistic than 8-4.
I would disagree, but it's interesting to see what you think "realistic" is. I would think the most realistic finishes would be: 7-5, 8-4, 6-6, 9-3, 5-7.

I think a 4-8 is a totally pessimistic view, pretty far removed from reality. Kind of like 10-2 would be pretty optimistic, pie-in-the sky.

The season will rest on QB play. If we get play similar to 18, 7 or 8 wins. If we get play similar to 19, 5 or 6 wins. If we get elite play, 9 or 10 wins.

I would guess 5-7, 6-6 or 7-5 would be were Nebraska finishes in 2020
This prediction window isn't exactly going out on a limb but it is the most reasonable way to view next season at this point in time. Of those 3 possible outcomes, only two can be considered "acceptable" IMO. Failure to reach bowl eligibility once again should be considered a remarkable failure.

• 09/05 Purdue - W
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/10 Illinois - W
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
Overall 8 - 4
Home 5 - 2
Road 3 - 2

I say 6-6. We go bowling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT