ADVERTISEMENT

way too early, somewhat realistic 2020 projections

Recruiting rankings and more visually what I have seen. Most of it is personal opinion and I don't know a ton about your recruiting classes except that we were better, but my breakdown is as follows:

QB - Martinez struggled last year, but he was in the conversation for Frosh AA. His backups are talented as well with the newest member having offers all over the SEC and being the player of the year in Bama. Purdue has had a bunch of guys play and have ok games, but nothing that jumps out. Edge NU.

WR - We covered. You have some dudes. We have Wandale and not a lot of other proven talent. Edge Purdue.

TE - We actually have a little depth here and they all have big time size and some pretty good athleticism. Purdue has a good TE, but not a ton of depth and in the games I watched Purdue didn't really impress me here.

OL - We bring all of our guys back, plus a bunch of highly touted recruits and redshirts. Like I have stated, performance needs to elevate, but Purdue's line doesn't have the recruits, the size or the experience.

DL - You DE is a decent player and if your DT comes back from injury he was alright as well, but nothing else jumped off the page. We lost some players, but still have a lot of experience that has played a long with a few newcomers that are big bodies. This could be a push, but I like our size and depth a lot better than Purdue.

LB - Have some decent players starting that have been in the system awhile. Building depth with some highly sought after dudes. I think your stud graduated and no one has really jumped off the screen at me watching you the last 4 years.

Secondary - Lot's of players at safety, 1 proven corner and a ton of young talent. The coach has shown the ability to develop the hell out of these guys so I feel we have a very solid advantage here as we are going to need it matching up against your WR group.

Now like I said, we are paper champions. Lot's of great athletes that haven't performed.

7Uxt.gif

Recruiting rankings and more visually what I have seen. Most of it is personal opinion and I don't know a ton about your recruiting classes except that we were better, but my breakdown is as follows:

QB - Martinez struggled last year, but he was in the conversation for Frosh AA. His backups are talented as well with the newest member having offers all over the SEC and being the player of the year in Bama. Purdue has had a bunch of guys play and have ok games, but nothing that jumps out. Edge NU.

WR - We covered. You have some dudes. We have Wandale and not a lot of other proven talent. Edge Purdue.

TE - We actually have a little depth here and they all have big time size and some pretty good athleticism. Purdue has a good TE, but not a ton of depth and in the games I watched Purdue didn't really impress me here.

OL - We bring all of our guys back, plus a bunch of highly touted recruits and redshirts. Like I have stated, performance needs to elevate, but Purdue's line doesn't have the recruits, the size or the experience.

DL - You DE is a decent player and if your DT comes back from injury he was alright as well, but nothing else jumped off the page. We lost some players, but still have a lot of experience that has played a long with a few newcomers that are big bodies. This could be a push, but I like our size and depth a lot better than Purdue.

LB - Have some decent players starting that have been in the system awhile. Building depth with some highly sought after dudes. I think your stud graduated and no one has really jumped off the screen at me watching you the last 4 years.

Secondary - Lot's of players at safety, 1 proven corner and a ton of young talent. The coach has shown the ability to develop the hell out of these guys so I feel we have a very solid advantage here as we are going to need it matching up against your WR group.

Now like I said, we are paper champions. Lot's of great athletes that haven't performed.
I'm going to push back. Not because I want to attack Nebraska or hype Purdue. I simply just love this type of discussion. Hence why I was following it in the first place.

I'd probably give Nebraska the edge at QB. Only because Purdue is so unproven. They have talent, but is it top 3 in the big ten. Purdue has a 4 star guy coming in though.

RB - idk what Nebraska has. Purdue started a true-freshman last year. Has a 4 star LSU tried to flip coming in.

WR - give me Purdue, like you said. Is spielman back?

TE - your probably right on Nebraska. Purdue lost a top 100 draft pick here. Good blocking TE, unproven, but solid high 3 and 4 star recruits that redshirted last year coming.

OL - Who knows honestly? Purdue loses a RG that's replaceable. More importantly, they won't have 3 underclassman starting, even though they aren't ready physically. Oline came a long way last year.

DL - Didn't Nebraska lose a lot? I'd venture to say Purdue if Neal is 100%, which he should be after 18 months. George was a freshman all American and had 11.5 sacks as a true freshman. Other DT is good, not great. Loaded with high 3 and 4 star recruits behind the starters.

LB - I'd go Nebraska because I have no idea what they have and what Purdue will look like. Biggest unknown. They are moving a S to Nickel that played 6'3 225 as a true freshman last year. Have a juco coming in that's 6'4 260 to play the rush end/LB spot. ILB's will be a junior whose been up and down and a senior who played two years at MLB before moving to DE last year. Had 11.5 sacks there. He will play at like 6'1 250 if I had to guess. Lots of youth here.

DB - there's talent. It's just young. Safties should be good. Has a true freshman that played well last year and put on 20 points this year. The 4 star S redshirted with an injury. The freshman corner last year was showed some stuff, but was up and down. The other corner position is wide open. So Nebraska would be my guess.

Reactions: 9and4
My bold prediction is: if Nebraska doesn't beat Purdue to start the season, it’ll be another year with no bowl game.

• 09/05 Purdue - W
  • 09/12 Central Michigan - W
  • 09/19 South Dakota St. - W
  • 09/26 Cincinnati - L
  • 10/03 @ Northwestern - W
  • 10/10 Illinois - W
  • 10/24 @ Rutgers - W
  • 10/31 @ Ohio St. - L
  • 11/07 Penn St. - L
  • 11/14 @ Iowa - W
  • 11/21 @ Wisconsin - L
  • 11/27 Minnesota - W
Overall 8 - 4
Home 5 - 2
Road 3 - 2

• Another top 25 recruiting class
  • Bowl Game (Win or Lose)

Would this calm everyone nerves or would the sky still be falling??

just enjoy the season finally watching Frosts recruits playing now. Much more talent but they are still young. It’s going to take five years. If he fails after a couple of years of playing his guys then ya it’s coaching. I don’t think that will happen but we’re just now starting to see his recruits perform.

season will be cancelled due to covid then football will never return due to fear of tbi

I'm going to push back. Not because I want to attack Nebraska or hype Purdue. I simply just love this type of discussion. Hence why I was following it in the first place.

I'd probably give Nebraska the edge at QB. Only because Purdue is so unproven. They have talent, but is it top 3 in the big ten. Purdue has a 4 star guy coming in though.

RB - idk what Nebraska has. Purdue started a true-freshman last year. Has a 4 star LSU tried to flip coming in.

WR - give me Purdue, like you said. Is spielman back?

TE - your probably right on Nebraska. Purdue lost a top 100 draft pick here. Good blocking TE, unproven, but solid high 3 and 4 star recruits that redshirted last year coming.

OL - Who knows honestly? Purdue loses a RG that's replaceable. More importantly, they won't have 3 underclassman starting, even though they aren't ready physically. Oline came a long way last year.

DL - Didn't Nebraska lose a lot? I'd venture to say Purdue if Neal is 100%, which he should be after 18 months. George was a freshman all American and had 11.5 sacks as a true freshman. Other DT is good, not great. Loaded with high 3 and 4 star recruits behind the starters.

LB - I'd go Nebraska because I have no idea what they have and what Purdue will look like. Biggest unknown. They are moving a S to Nickel that played 6'3 225 as a true freshman last year. Have a juco coming in that's 6'4 260 to play the rush end/LB spot. ILB's will be a junior whose been up and down and a senior who played two years at MLB before moving to DE last year. Had 11.5 sacks there. He will play at like 6'1 250 if I had to guess. Lots of youth here.

DB - there's talent. It's just young. Safties should be good. Has a true freshman that played well last year and put on 20 points this year. The 4 star S redshirted with an injury. The freshman corner last year was showed some stuff, but was up and down. The other corner position is wide open. So Nebraska would be my guess.
Questions.
Does Purdue have a nose tackle thats either very strong and fast with very good indurance that goes at least 285, or, do they have a couple 310 plus guys for NT?
That new nickel, he's whats called a tweener, covers, rushes the qb, but big enough to handle a TE.
The transition to this spot is not easy, if he's got what they call good football smarts, and is very athletic, but also highly disciplined, he might be ok, early on,going to be tough.

I think they'll have to have a better run game this year, as teams are starting to work out mainly pass oriented offenses like purdue runs, another reason why teams like NW sucked so bad after their stellar year before.

Theres a huge learning curve for Purdue, and being undersized on the D line can really hurt you in a 3-4.
Depth ,or demand of depth at backer has immediately gone way up, not sure if theyll play two gap off the line, likely not, which means size is a premium.

Questions.
Does Purdue have a nose tackle thats either very strong and fast with very good indurance that goes at least 285, or, do they have a couple 310 plus guys for NT?
That new nickel, he's whats called a tweener, covers, rushes the qb, but big enough to handle a TE.
The transition to this spot is not easy, if he's got what they call good football smarts, and is very athletic, but also highly disciplined, he might be ok, early on,going to be tough.

I think they'll have to have a better run game this year, as teams are starting to work out mainly pass oriented offenses like purdue runs, another reason why teams like NW sucked so bad after their stellar year before.

Theres a huge learning curve for Purdue, and being undersized on the D line can really hurt you in a 3-4.
Depth ,or demand of depth at backer has immediately gone way up, not sure if theyll play two gap off the line, likely not, which means size is a premium.
The Tweener, which I think they are also calling the "cat", will have a big role, I agree. He is super athletic and covered TE's last year. We will see.

Dline will be good. I'd guess George will play DE at 280, Neal at NT at 320 (he was a projected 1st round pick by some the season he got hurt), and Watts at DT at 300. Would be my guess.

The run game should be much improved. It was improving quick as the season went on. Freshman RB and three underclassman on the OL that were undersized. Needed another year lifting. Plus the center was a walk-on because the starter was hurt.

Purdue lost a RG, TE, LB, S from last year's team that started vs Nebraska.

The Tweener, which I think they are also calling the "cat", will have a big role, I agree. He is super athletic and covered TE's last year. We will see.

Dline will be good. I'd guess George will play DE at 280, Neal at NT at 320 (he was a projected 1st round pick by some the season he got hurt), and Watts at DT at 300. Would be my guess.

The run game should be much improved. It was improving quick as the season went on. Freshman RB and three underclassman on the OL that were undersized. Needed another year lifting. Plus the center was a walk-on because the starter was hurt.

Purdue lost a RG, TE, LB, S from last year's team that started vs Nebraska.
D line looks solid, but need two deep. Our three guys went three bills, big man around 320, all three combine guys.
If you dont have LB depth and flexibility,it'll hurt your D too, getting great LB play is key, cover and fill holes needed, so speed and instinct prime needs,play in space etc.

Guess depth is the next question, big bodies asked to do alot, need that two deep.

Good morning wasntdrunkdidnttroll. I see your obsession with Nebraska football continues. As an Iowa fan, you must be suffering from PTSD after your time in Lincoln.
Top of the mornin to ya!

Dont mind me, just making the off season rounds on how everyone is feeling about the year. FWIW I think Nebby goes 7-5 -5-7 depending on injuries and the bounce of the ball. Dont sleep on NW this year, right about the time you write them off they bite you.

(Leave the diagnosis to people with credentials)

D line looks solid, but need two deep. Our three guys went three bills, big man around 320, all three combine guys.
If you dont have LB depth and flexibility,it'll hurt your D too, getting great LB play is key, cover and fill holes needed, so speed and instinct prime needs,play in space etc.

Guess depth is the next question, big bodies asked to do alot, need that two deep.
Ya. Dline should have the depth and bodies. Purdue has recruited that really well for a few years now. Multiple 4 star and borderline 4 star guys. LB is the real question. I think the starters will be fine, but after that, it's redshirt and true freshman. Need some guys to step up in a big way there.

Edit: I forgot about the senior LB that has been a career backup. He's a good run defender, but don't let him get into space.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT