ADVERTISEMENT

WAY too early look at 2015

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
So I totally get it that it's WAY too early to even bother looking at what we'll look like next year, but I can't help myself. I offer this up as a potential look at who will trot out onto the field as we begin next season, and look forward to you much smarter than I guys to correct my scribbles: I'll even give you my lineup how I would place them in the batting order!

CF - Bolt
2B - Placzek
1B - Headley
3B - Only
RF - Darby
C - Lubach
LF - Cox
DH - Miller
SS - Reveles

Weekend trio of Sinclair, Kubat and Hohensee
Midweek starters of Burkamper and Howell
Closer is Roeder
Best shot at breaking into the lineup from our recruits - Dilday

Replacing Kelly, Pritchard and DeLeon with Only, Cox and Hoensee doesn't appear from first look to be stronger as a whole, so I am looking to you better informed to help me out.

I don't see Hohensee and Howell in those roles, but otherwise it looks pretty good.

I know they like Cox and he did pretty well in a limited role this last year but I don't think he will be an everyday answer. Need a young OF to step up.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TheHuskeRed:

CF - Bolt
2B - Placzek
1B - Headley
3B - Only
RF - Darby
C - Lubach
LF - Cox
DH - Miller
SS - Reveles

Closer is Roeder
1. Darby - RF
2. Placzek - 2B
3. Boldt - CF
4. Headley - 3B
5. Lubach - C
6. Miller - DH
7. Only - 1B
8. Cox - LF
9. Edrington - SS

Agree on the rotation and closer, although I think Christensen will get a shot in the midweek with Howell staying in the pen. Along with Dilday I really like Alvarado and Schreiber.

Originally posted by HuskerFan31:

Originally posted by TheHuskeRed:

CF - Bolt
2B - Placzek
1B - Headley
3B - Only
RF - Darby
C - Lubach
LF - Cox
DH - Miller
SS - Reveles

Closer is Roeder
1. Darby - RF
2. Placzek - 2B
3. Boldt - CF
4. Headley - 3B
5. Lubach - C
6. Miller - DH
7. Only - 1B
8. Cox - LF
9. Edrington - SS

Agree on the rotation and closer, although I think Christensen will get a shot in the midweek with Howell staying in the pen. Along with Dilday I really like Alvarado and Schreiber.
I will be interested to see a couple of things as we go into fall ball. We have seen this staff has been more than willing to experiment so you could see a number of things happen but for me the 2 wild cards that could set off some interesting combinations are Edrington and Only.

Headley loooked comfortable at 1B and had offenesive and defensive prodcution to support that. Only will have to add something substantial the line up to push Blake over to 3B. That said, Placzek wasn't great defensively over there but I also dont think he had played the positon much so not sure what his stats look like 1H of season vs. 2H. I would think Only has a better chance of cracking the line-up at 3B then pushing Blake over to 3rd, but then again, looking at Blake's stats from 2013 he did field the postion well. Corner spots will be fun to watch and see how they play out.

Reveles, Placzek, and Edrington will be an interesting trio to watch. IF Only secures one of the corners then Placzek moves back to middle infield. All 3 have proven to be average at best defensively but I think you have to give Edrington a pass (offensively and defensively) on his only season since he was basically playing what should have been his Sr. year of HS. Reevles seemed like a kid that makes the difficult plays but has to many mental lapses on the routine plays. Hit well enough to stay in the line-up but needs to clean some things up. Will be intersting to see how Wes has changed physcially and how that maifests itself in better offensvie production. Placzek is not a SS in my opinion and will play 2B or 3B. Edrington seems like a kid that could play either 2B or SS and will probably just be hungry to find the filed anywhere after missing this last season. I would assume Reeveles could play 2B but would his ego allow it? Sometimes those kids that have played SS forever don't take kindly to that move. I havent looked at any summer stats but would be interested to see what positions these guys are playing this summer.

I also think we need a young OF to step up if we are going to have a season that extends very far into the post season.

Boldt will bat 3rd, the rest is always up in the air. Headley will play but where is the question? 1st most likely. Lubach will probably start but having another catcher to take some of that weekend load would be nice. Ben Miller is a good DH but not having a position established will hurt him more if others rise up.

A lot if options and pieces to work with. My main concern is the pitching staff. We lost some good players and nobody really stepped up in the bullpen after ZH on a consistent basis. I do believe a year in the system will benefit some of those young guys and somebody will eventually step up, how soon and how many options we have is obviously up in the air.

I so think there is a ton of talent to work with. It's just a matter of gettig the best nine guys in the lineup and establishing a few good bullpen arms.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ZH is for sure a tough one to replace but for some reason I think we are going to be solid as an overall staff and I'm more worried about offense/defense. To many errors on the left side of the infield in 2014 that needs to be cleaned up. Also would like to see some more "punch" in our line-up. And yes, I understand the BBCOR era, etc.....but our power numbers have been very pedestrian compared to a lot of quality teams, even in this era. The staff also talks constantly about being aggressive on the bases and forcing the issue but it hasn't manifested itself in stolen bases or even attempts. In most cases it's simiply been small ball (conservative baseball IMO) and some rather inexcusable attempts to score. Don't know that we are fast, but certinaly have some players that can run as well and would really like to see what forcing the issue might look like.

The young pitcher I really want to see how he benefits from a year in the sysytem is Max Knustson. Don't know what it is but there is something I like about the kid.

Originally posted by bigredrl:
ZH is for sure a tough one to replace but for some reason I think we are going to be solid as an overall staff and I'm more worried about offense/defense. To many errors on the left side of the infield in 2014 that needs to be cleaned up. Also would like to see some more "punch" in our line-up. And yes, I understand the BBCOR era, etc.....but our power numbers have been very pedestrian compared to a lot of quality teams, even in this era. The staff also talks constantly about being aggressive on the bases and forcing the issue but it hasn't manifested itself in stolen bases or even attempts. In most cases it's simiply been small ball (conservative baseball IMO) and some rather inexcusable attempts to score. Don't know that we are fast, but certinaly have some players that can run as well and would really like to see what forcing the issue might look like.

The young pitcher I really want to see how he benefits from a year in the sysytem is Max Knustson. Don't know what it is but there is something I like about the kid.
And Burkamper. Anybody know much about Klein? Thanks.

I noticed Burkamper pitched in the Northwoods League this summer where he went

(1-1, 7.40 ERA, 20.2 IP)

Big arm, with big potential, hopefully he figures things out in the fall/winter and can really contribute this year.

Don't count out jake schlepebach making a run to start in the infield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT