ADVERTISEMENT

WAY too early 2018 lineup

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
OK, so on we go to my favorite sport and team, Husker Baseball! Can't freaking wait to see what we have cooking this year. Many of my picks for starters are obvious, but I took a stab at a couple new faces too. I know they will probably find some mound time for Luis but he is so valuable in the outfield and his stick that he will likely spend the majority of the year roaming around center. I think they return Chad to just a closer roll instead of messing around trying to have him start. Anybody out there with a better take on the lineup? Also not sure who hits where in the batting order ... No clear cut lead off guy.

First Base - Scott Schreiber
Second Base - Angelo Altavilla
Third Base - Jeff Athey/Mike Waldron
Short Stop - Brison Cronenbold
Catcher - Jesse Wilkening
Left Field - Mojo Hagge
Center Field - Luis Alvarado
Right Field – Joe Acker/Mike Addante
Designated Hitter - Luke Roskam
Weekend starters:
Friday - Jake Hohensee
Saturday - Matt Waldron
Sunday - Luis Alvarado
Mid-week starters:
Zack Engelken
Matt Warren
Closer: Chad Luensmann

Reactions: saluno22
OK, so on we go to my favorite sport and team, Husker Baseball! Can't freaking wait to see what we have cooking this year. Many of my picks for starters are obvious, but I took a stab at a couple new faces too. I know they will probably find some mound time for Luis but he is so valuable in the outfield and his stick that he will likely spend the majority of the year roaming around center. I think they return Chad to just a closer roll instead of messing around trying to have him start. Anybody out there with a better take on the lineup? Also not sure who hits where in the batting order ... No clear cut lead off guy.

First Base - Scott Schreiber
Second Base - Angelo Altavilla
Third Base - Jeff Athey/Mike Waldron
Catcher - Jesse Wilkening
Left Field - Mojo Hagge
Right Field – Joe Acker/Mike Addante
Designated Hitter - Luke Roskam
Weekend starters:
Friday - Jake Hohensee
Saturday - Matt Waldron
Sunday - Luis Alvarado
Mid-week starters:
Zack Engelken
Matt Warren
Is Schreiber moving back from RF to 1B? Maybe Schreiber at DH, Waldron and Roskam on the corners (take your pick), with Schreiber in RF when Alvarado pitches. I haven't taken time to look at the new players' bios to figure out who might contribute right away.

How about O/U on number of preseason Luis-centric articles on his move from relief to starter? I'm saying 3.5: OWH, LJS, Huskers.com, plus some wild card publication or a follow-up by one of those three.

Guys returning from injury, how are they looking?

LHP Connor Curry
RHP Reece Eddins
RHP Ethan Frazier
RHP Paul Tillotson
RHP Matt Warren (expecting him to be a force)

Those are some nice arms to get back. Like Erstad said last year, you can never have too much pitching.

I know it's been rehashed several time, but Silva doesn't seem to like lefties too much. Here's our pitching staff:

RIGHTIES
Abrahamowicz - 6'3 184 Fr
Alvarado - 6'4 205 Sr
Eddins - 6'5 206 Jr
Engelken - 6'5 235 Jr
Frazier - 6'2 196 Jr
Hohensee - 6'2 231 Sr
Hood - 5'11 185 Jr
Luensmann - 6'4 237 Jr
Minnick - 5'10 179 Fr
Palkert - 6'3 202 Jr
M.Schreiber - 6'4 191 Fr
Tillotson - 6'2 211 RFr
Matt Waldron - 6'0 215 Jr
Mike Waldron - 6'2 203 Jr (not sure I should have him on the list, didn't have any appearances last year and just 1.1 IP in 2016)
Warren - 6'0 215 Sr
Watson - 6'3 198 Fr

LEFTIES
Curry - 6'3 211 RFr
Fisher - 6'0 207 Jr
McSteen - 6'0 209 Jr
Steinhoff - 6'1 212 Jr

Think McSteen might push for a starting spot or stay at long relief? Palkert?

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I'm thinking Scott Schreiber will want to be out in the field somewhere so probably not DH (doubt he came back for his senior season to just DH). To me he seemed pretty solid while occasionally sharing 1B with big Ben, so moving him back to that spot wouldn't be a horrible defensive move. Plus I don't think he has a ton of speed so not sure we don't have better defensive options for the outfield.

I believe Schreiber prefers outfield and would rather not play 1st base if possible. I think we will see Roskam make the move to 1st this year. I also feel Altivilla is our best 3rd base option so don't see him moving to 2nd with quite a few options in Athey, Hallmark, and Klenke. Cronenbold is one guy at SS many may forget about and I agree with you there. If he is truly healthy he has the best glove/speed in the infield. His bat will also gauge his playing time. I do believe Connor Curry ends up in the weekend rotation. I'm not sure if it will be at the beginning of the year or not but can see him pitching Saturday and possibly Friday if Hohensee continues his troubles that plagued him to end the year..

First Base - Luke Roskam
Second Base - Jeff Athey
Third Base - Angelo Altavilla
Catcher - Jesse Wilkening/Gunner Hellstrom (Erstad seems to prefer a rotation)
Left Field - Mojo Hagge
Right Field – Jaxon Hallmark/Scott Schreiber (on days Alvarado pitches)
Designated Hitter - Jaxon Hallmark/Scott Schreiber

Weekend starters:
Friday - Jake Hohensee
Saturday - Connor Curry or Jake Mcsteen (seems Erstad/Silva like a lefty to go Saturday if possible)
Sunday - Luis Alvarado

Mid-week/long relief starters:
Connor Curry or Jake Mcsteen
Matt Waldron
Paul Tillotson
Matt Warren

So what do you think our outfield will look like when Luis pitches? Hallmark LF, Hagge CF, Schreiber RF?

So what do you think our outfield will look like when Luis pitches? Hallmark LF, Hagge CF, Schreiber RF?
Hard to say for sure. We know that for sure Mojo and Schreiber play. I think they have quite a few guys who can play the outfield so the hottest hitters will decide who plays.

I do think Hallmark finds a role somehow because he offers some power we badly need. Hakel comes in with some JUCO experience so he will get a shot early much like Raburn did last year. We also have a tossup of returners in AJ Johnson, Repinski, and Acker. A new guy to keep an eye on is Mike Addante.

At the end of the day Etrstad will go with the best bat. If I had to pick a top three I'd say Hallmark, Hakel, or Acker. Addante as my dark horse.

One thing that will help is the fact that we have 22 upper classmen. This may be the most experienced team Erstad and crew have had. Now only 5 of those are seniors but the amount of guys with a couple years of playing college ball shouldn't hurt. Only Hakel (Hutchinson CC) and Warren (Creighton) will be new to wearing Husker uniform for the first time.

So if I am following the bouncing ball, Alvarado is probably the most talented overall player this year on the team, and much like Jake last year, will strive to be the starting pitcher on Sunday's, and play center field at all other times ... is that pretty close to accurate?

So if I am following the bouncing ball, Alvarado is probably the most talented overall player this year on the team, and much like Jake last year, will strive to be the starting pitcher on Sunday's, and play center field at all other times ... is that pretty close to accurate?
Or possibly not playing in the field at all. As a team, we need him in the field when he's not pitching, but his future in the pros is on the mound.

Also, is Hagge our most likely candidate to bat leadoff? With the exception of Schreiber batting cleanup (should be a no brainer), I struggle with what the batting lineup might look like. I like Roskam and Altavilla's stick, and look to see Wilkening develop that power stroke he seemed to have as the year wound down last year. Besides that, not sure what else we have and what the batting order would look like. Having said all that, I'll take a stab at the best players/battling lineup for 2018, and will look back later in the year to laugh at just how off base I was:

Mojo Hagge - LF
Angelo Altavilla - 3B
Luis Alvarado - CF
Scott Schreiber - RF
Luke Roskam - 1B
Jesse Wilkening - C
Repinski/Acker/Addante - DH
Jeff Athey - 2B
Brison Cronenbold - SS

Jake Hohensee - P

Sorry terrible linker
BaseballAmerica.com in the College section
"Two-way Solutions"
Erstad is one of three coaches commenting
on handling different types of 2 way players.
Meyers as opposed to Alvarado.
Mentions Luis pitching on Fridays.
Glad to hear that. At the end of the day we need to get our best pitcher against the opponents best pitcher. If that is Alvarado then so be it.

As I try and see how the batting lineup might look like, I know that DE likes to (when possible) stagger the lineup with a right handed batter, then a left, then right and so on. Looking at the roster, I can't tell how many lefties we have this year (or switch hitters to be able to go from the left side). I believe Hagge and Roskam swing from the left and Altavilla is a switch hitter. Any other able to swing it from the left side?

As I try and see how the batting lineup might look like, I know that DE likes to (when possible) stagger the lineup with a right handed batter, then a left, then right and so on. Looking at the roster, I can't tell how many lefties we have this year (or switch hitters to be able to go from the left side). I believe Hagge and Roskam swing from the left and Altavilla is a switch hitter. Any other able to swing it from the left side?
LH Hitters
Mike Addante
Jeff Athey
Mojo Hagge
Nolan Hakel
Alex Henwood
Ben Klenke
Luke Roskam
Kennet Sorenson

RH Hitters

Joe Acker
Luis Alvarado
Carter Cross
Jaxon Hallmark
Gunner Hellstrom
AJ Johnson
Zac Luckey
Zac Repinski
Scott Schreiber
Mike Waldron
Keegan Watson
Jesse Wilkening

Switch Hitters
Angelo Altavilla
Brison Cronenbold

I did not include players listed as only pitchers, though Hohensee is a switch hitter if it comes to that :)

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=33&SPSID=104

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I remember to start last season Erstad put his best hitters grouped at the top of the lineup while everyone else got sorted out to get them more plate appearances. Not a bad strategy, but didn't work out great either when that depth didn't develop (or when Miller started like .100 over the first month).

Nolan Hakel, Mike Addante, Jeff Athey, Mojo, Henwood, Klenke, Roskam, and Sorenson all bat from the left side. Cronenbold and Altavilla are switch hitters.

Well I guess we can eliminate Chad as our closer ... am told he is out for the year TJ surgery ... damn.

Well I guess we can eliminate Chad as our closer ... am told he is out for the year TJ surgery ... damn.
Yep, just heard the news yesterday. Good time to get it taken care of since he will be back next year but certainly hurts the depth and experience of that bullpen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT