ADVERTISEMENT

Way to early prediction for starting lineup

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
OK, so on we go to my favorite sport and team, Husker Baseball! I'm heading to see the Huskers play in their first two weekend matches in Arizona in February and can't freaking wait to see what we have cooking this year. Many of my picks for starters are obvious, but I took a stab at a couple new faces too. I know they will probably find some mound time for Jake Meyers but he is so valuable in the outfield and his stick that he will likely spend the majority of the year roaming around center. Anybody out there with a better take on the lineup? Also not sure who hits where in the batting order ... No clear cut lead off guy.

First Base - Scott Schreiber
Second Base - Jake Schleppenbach
Third Base - Jeff Athey
Short Stop - Angelo Altavilla
Catcher - Jesse Wilkening
Left Field - Luis Alvarado
Center Field - Jake Meyers
Right Field - Joe Ackerman
Designated Hitter - Ben Miller
Weekend starters:
Jake Hohensee
Matt Waldron
Derek Burkamper
Closer:
Chad Luensmann

Two guys that will probably crack the starting lineup are Alex Raburn (SS, senior transfer from North Carolina) and Matt Warren (RHP, senior transfer from Creighton). Just a guess, but I'm sure as senior transfers they have been putting in the work to contribute and Erstad will give them an opportunity.

I think the addition of Warren will keep Meyers off the mound and just give him spot duty for a couple innings and Cole Klemke in the OF.

Burkamper and Matt Waldron will definitely be weekend starters. I think the third will be either Warren or Hohensee, with the other starting midweek with either Tillotson, Engelken, or Palkert. Seems like a big deal was made out of signing Tillotson, so I'm thinking he gets a chance to be a starter. Just not sure where everyone fits in.

I think our pitching is really deep this year. Here's how I see it stacking up...

Weekend Starters
Derek Burkamper (R)
Matt Waldron (R)
Matt Warren (R)
Midweek Starters
Jake Hohensee (R)
Paul Tillotson (R)
Zac Engelken (R)
Closer
Chad Luensmann (R)
Middle Reliever (Obviously, this is a lot of pitchers, I'm just listing the eligible guys and the order I think they'll see the mound with everything being equal.)
Reece Eddins (R)
Robbie Palkert (R)
Jake Meyers (L; could easily be much higher in the list and even a starter if necessary)
Jake McSteen (L)
Nate Fisher (L)
Byron Hood (R)
Mitch Steinhoff (L)
Sean Chandler (R)
Ethan Frazier (R)
Redshirt
Connor Curry (L)
Carter Cross (R)

Here's what I see for position players to begin the year:
Starters
C: Jesse Wilkening (R)
1B: Scott Schreiber (R)
2B: Jake Schleppenbach (L)
3B: Jeff Athey (L)
SS: Alex Raburn (R)
LF: Luis Alvarado (R)
CF: Jake Meyers (R)
RF: Joe Acker (R)
DH: Ben Miller (L)
Situational Substitutes
Catcher: Luke Roskam (L), Brady Childs (R)
Middle Infield: Angelo Altavilla (S), Alex Henwood (L), Brison Cronenbold (S), Zac Repinski (R, pinch runner)
Corner Infield: Mike Waldron (R), Brison Cronenbold (S; 3B), Luke Roskam (L)
Outfield: Cole Klemke (R), AJ Johnson (R)
Utility: Ben Klenke (R)
Redshirt
Mojo Hagge (L)

I was really torn on Athey vs. Mike Waldron at 3B, but I think another left-handed bat is what makes Athey the starter.

It would probably be smart to redshirt Roskam at catcher. I think the questions will be is he better than Childs and can he provide depth at the corner infield positions. On a team with few left-handed bats, his presence could be valuable.

This is largely a shot in the dark. Klemke could start over Acker, but I think if Meyers is going to be used for spot pitching duty, it would be better to bring a more experienced player off the bench than a true freshman.

Two guys that will probably crack the starting lineup are Alex Raburn (SS, senior transfer from North Carolina) and Matt Warren (RHP, senior transfer from Creighton). Just a guess, but I'm sure as senior transfers they have been putting in the work to contribute and Erstad will give them an opportunity.

Weekend Starters
Derek Burkamper (R)
Matt Waldron (R)
Matt Warren (R)

Warren had Tommy John surgery.

I don't follow the baseball team as much as I would like. What's a,realistic outlook for the big red is this are yeareally to win the B1G maybe host a regional? GO BIG RED!

Making the NCAA postseason and winning a game or two in the regional will be realistic. Would love a conference or regional championship, but after the last couple seasons where the bottom dropped out at the end, I'm trying to keep my hopes not as high.

Reactions: gunNrun
Smokin
Not one of my better days...
The trick is to have more good days, than bad.

So what's the over/ under
of how many times
the "hosting a regional" question gets asked?!?!

Reactions: saluno22
So what's the over/ under of how many times the "hosting a regional" question gets asked?!?!
I think the better question is when will it start? Because after that, someone will ask it either legitimately or ironically every week thereafter.

Put my money on after the weekend in Frisco if we win 2 of 3 that weekend and at least 9 of 12 to that point. If we're not that successful early and come out of our first homestand at 14-6 or better, it'll probably start then.

That weekend in Frisco will be huge.

I say sooner...
an Oregon St win would do it.
And it'd be hosting Super Regional questions.

Sorry bvkley...
This turned into a inside joke on me...
that I deserve.

I drool every time I think about
Frisco College Baseball Classic.
Hoping ESPNU or 'some' conference network (hint, hint)
picks up a game or two since 4 of the 5 power conferences are represented.

Reactions: saluno22
I say sooner...
an Oregon St win would do it.
And it'd be hosting Super Regional questions.

Sorry bvkley...
This turned into a inside joke on me...
that I deserve.

I drool every time I think about
Frisco College Baseball Classic.
Hoping ESPNU or 'some' conference network (hint, hint)
picks up a game or two since 4 of the 5 power conferences are represented.
Got my tickets ordered! Hotels booked. Can hardly wait for Frisco. GBR

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT