ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Pedal Steel Guitar

1ManBearPig

Walk On
Jan 20, 2021
I have seen the uncanny reach of the people on this forum and i have a shot in the dark here. I am looking for a pedal steel guitar for sale somewhere in the state of Nebraska, and I am having a hell of a time. Anyone here that has one or knows someone, please reach out. That is all.

I have seen the uncanny reach of the people on this forum and i have a shot in the dark here. I am looking for a pedal steel guitar for sale somewhere in the state of Nebraska, and I am having a hell of a time. Anyone here that has one or knows someone, please reach out. That is all.
I know I guy that used to build them. IF that's an avenue you would be interested in.... but I will say this, it won't be cheap. He built some for VERY famous country artists back in the 70's and 80's.

The last time I was in Roots Music in Lincoln I believe they had a used Pedal Steel Guitar. Admittedly, that was months ago. I recommend giving them a call, 402-435-7668.

I know you said Nebraska, but Reverb.com is typically the best site (IMO) for finding selection of used gear. I did a quick search and they at least have a handful on there now.

I know you said Nebraska, but Reverb.com is typically the best site (IMO) for finding selection of used gear. I did a quick search and they at least have a handful on there now.
I have used Reverb.com for years. The trouble with buying a pedal steel online is i cant look at it closely to ensure it is working. they cost a couple grand, and usually end up for sale with the levers in various states of disrepair. It can be very costly and a pain to service/restore them as well.

I have used Reverb.com for years. The trouble with buying a pedal steel online is i cant look at it closely to ensure it is working. they cost a couple grand, and usually end up for sale with the levers in various states of disrepair. It can be very costly and a pain to service/restore them as well.
Yeah- instrument purchases sight unseen is tough.

Reactions: 1ManBearPig
Reverb.com for all your musical needs. I spend most of waking hours lusting over gear. Bought a couple of amplifiers and MANY guitar pedals on Reverb. Guitars are more personal. I like to try before buying so I shop local.

Reverb.com for all your musical needs. I spend most of waking hours lusting over gear. Bought a couple of amplifiers and MANY guitar pedals on Reverb. Guitars are more personal. I like to try before buying so I shop local.
Reverb has been discussed in this thread already.

You might check with John Hargiss, a luthier at 40th & Hamilton in Omaha. Along with an instrument repair shop, John has a large assortment of used guitars, amps and related items.
https://www.hargissstrings.com/

Steve "Fuzzy" Blazek is the pedal steel player in The Bottletops, an Americana band led by Mike Semrad and his wife Kerry. Kerry is also the General Manager of Lincoln's KZUM-FM. You might reach-out to Fuzzy by contacting Kerry Semrad at KZUM.
https://kzum.org/contact/

Last edited:

Here's a recent (3/27) Facebook Marketplace post for a pedal steel in Council Bluffs. I don't have any details about the seller or this particular instrument, however.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/220605756522175/

If you can play “sleep walk” as well as Santo and Johnny, I’ll find one for you.

The pedal-steel guitar I mentioned in Council Bluffs remains for-sale on Facebook Marketplace, as of 4/9. Figured you've checked it out in-person by now. If so, did the guitar turn-out to be in poor condition, or missing key parts?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/220605756522175/
it has the guts of a pedal steel, but it is housed in a homemade wooden frame, the pedals and levers have been removed and put back in the wrong spots/order and it has issues with tuning, because noone knows what it started out as (E9,C6,G). It is really a massive project, and the guy wants too much for what it is. An incredible tease nonetheless.

Reactions: huskerbay
try pawn shops

try pawn shops
Maybe if I was in Nashville. I call the Pawn Shops in Lincoln/Omaha periodically. They all say the never see pedal steels in. I think the bulk of them in this state are hardly played units sitting in grandmas storage collecting dust until some lucky bastard scores at the estate sale.

Maybe if I was in Nashville. I call the Pawn Shops in Lincoln/Omaha periodically. They all say the never see pedal steels in. I think the bulk of them in this state are hardly played units sitting in grandmas storage collecting dust until some lucky bastard scores at the estate sale.
I saw one in Sol's on 72nd in Omaha a few years back and thought "I should buy this and resell it" It was pretty cheap and looked to be a nicer one.

it has the guts of a pedal steel, but it is housed in a homemade wooden frame, the pedals and levers have been removed and put back in the wrong spots/order and it has issues with tuning, because noone knows what it started out as (E9,C6,G). It is really a massive project, and the guy wants too much for what it is. An incredible tease nonetheless.
Unfortunate the pedal-steel in Council Bluffs was in such rough shape. It is sold now... probably to someone looking for a shop-project, more than a working instrument.

Here is an auction for a vintage, triple-neck, lap-steel in Omaha. No pedals obviously... but has the convenience of 3 different tunings on one instrument. The auction closes on 4/19.
Good luck with your search!
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/119586262

Unfortunate the pedal-steel in Council Bluffs was in such rough shape. It is sold now... probably to someone looking for a shop-project, more than a working instrument.

Here is an auction for a vintage, triple-neck, lap-steel in Omaha. No pedals obviously... but has the convenience of 3 different tunings on one instrument. The auction closes on 4/19.
Good luck with your search!
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/119586262
That is something i can work with. I have some Certano Palm Benders that fashion on to lap steels and give you some of the function of pedals. Thanks for looking out!

That is something i can work with. I have some Certano Palm Benders that fashion on to lap steels and give you some of the function of pedals. Thanks for looking out!
I doubt ShopGoodwill.com encourages bidders to inspect auction-items beforehand, but most of their Omaha online inventory is at the 72nd & F warehouse.

Here's a vintage Gibson lap-steel, with twin 8-string necks, case and detachable legs. I've bought gear from John (the seller) before. His asking prices are high, but negotiable. He's in the Florence neighborhood of Omaha.

Here is a 10-string, single-neck pedal-steel... but unfortunately it's in Kenosha, Wisconsin - just north of Chicago.

I'm unfamiliar with the Certano bending hardware. If installation requires drilling/routing, it might hurt re-sale value. Do your string-benders work with either 6-or-8 string lap-steels?

Last edited:
I doubt ShopGoodwill.com encourages bidders to inspect auction-items beforehand, but most of their Omaha online inventory is at the 72nd & F warehouse.

Here's a vintage Gibson lap-steel, with twin 8-string necks, case and detachable legs. I've bought gear from John (the seller) before. His asking prices are high, but negotiable. He's in the Florence neighborhood of Omaha.

Here is a 10-string, single-neck pedal-steel... but unfortunately it's in Kenosha, Wisconsin - just north of Chicago.

I'm unfamiliar with the Certano bending hardware. If installation requires drilling/routing, it might hurt re-sale value. Do your string-benders work with either 6-or-8 string lap-steels?
That Gibson is a beauty of a unit. The Certano benders require a little drilling but will work on any guitar/lap steel. The thing is, it is hand made by David Certano in France and is a little spendy. I bought the handmade roller bridge as well as the benders, and complained about some of the machining on it and ended up getting in an argument about craftsmanship with the guy, and he refunded my entire $300 order!

That Gibson is a beauty of a unit. The Certano benders require a little drilling but will work on any guitar/lap steel. The thing is, it is hand made by David Certano in France and is a little spendy. I bought the handmade roller bridge as well as the benders, and complained about some of the machining on it and ended up getting in an argument about craftsmanship with the guy, and he refunded my entire $300 order!

Thanks for posting the string-benders from Mr. Certano.

Arguing with Frenchmen on technology can get dicey!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1ManBearPig
The Omaha Goodwill lap-steel auction closed on 4/19. The ad listings I mentioned in April for both the Fender pedal-steel in Fremont and Gibson lap-steel in Omaha remain online, as of 5/2.

Did you end-up buying something else, or are you still in-the-market for a pedal-steel / lap-steel?

still looking. The prices were way too high on those unfortunately. I certainly appreciate you keeping me in mind. One of these days

FYI:
John, (seller of the Gibson lap-steel in Omaha/Florence), is an OK guy - but lists music gear at very inflated prices. He received so much flack about his pricing on Craigslist, he now mainly uses "Offer-up" to avoid Craigslist negativity.

I haven't purchased anything from John in 4+ years, but negotiated a reasonable deal. Maybe his final price depends on how long he's held onto a piece of gear.

You never know what may pop-up on ShopGoodwill. There is a "Jim Kelley" guitar amp for auction in Omaha, closing on May 6. These amps are no longer made, and have a legendary reputation. Bids so far on this amp are at $4445!
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/120816643

Here's a guy in Muncie, Indiana who mainly sells hardwoods to guitar-builders. He also designs/builds sharp-looking, custom lap-steels in hardwoods with B-benders.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174137579948

Last edited:
I am posting for the simple fact, I want this thread to stay on the front page forever. This thread is kind of like herpes, it never goes away. Be back in another week to keep it on the front page.Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT