ADVERTISEMENT

(Way OT) Hyphenated names

Row80

Sophomore
Dec 11, 2008
I wouldn't have a problem with my bride not wanting to change her last name. I just wouldn't hyphenate my name. If she doesn't want to change, then either we have different last names or we both change to one non-hyphenated name. That's my take (I'm old).

Now I'm seeing kids with hyphenated names because their parents went that route. What happens when Joe Johnson-Wilhelm marries Jane Jackson-Fletcher? Do they become Mr and Mrs Johnson-Wilhelm-Jackson-Fletcher?

It really comes down to the girl. If she's smokin hawt and the guy is punching above his weight, I'm gonna allow a little grace here. If she's fugly, I'm going the other way.

My wife kept her name for professional reasons. Kids are hyphenated my name first because its a compromise, plus my last name is not at the end of the alphabet like my wife's so they wouldn't always be at the end in school. They can figure out with their own spouse what to do when the time comes.

My wife kept her last name. i was upset at first but not really anymore.
kids have my last name only.
it can work out.

I wouldn’t have got married if my wife said she was going to keep her name or hyphenate, and there is no way in the world my future children were ever going to be hyphenated.

You da Man!

So your telling me that after dating for oh I don't know 4-5 years (or even 1 to 2 for some), deciding you love this woman and that you would like to make a life with her because she is fantastic, loving, great cook, will be a super mom, and the two of you get along so well and it just all fits together so well, and then when she says I'm keeping my last name, your like, "That's it, I'm outta here!" You throw it all away because of that? I'm guessing you just never really faced the question so easy to say that, because the other answer is just absurd, in my humble opinion.

Been married for 30 plus years to an incredible woman. We have tremendous kids. I can't imagine having passed it all up just because she wanted to keep her last name.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I guess I figured a lot of these kids with hyphenated names were born to unwed parents. Maybe I’m an ass.
I asked my fiancé if she was gonna keep her name (both have two kids from a previous marriage). She said no. That kind of surprised me. If I was her, I’d keep the name my kids have.

With current divorce rates, it’s easier for people to not go through all the name change crap from a legal perspective.

Y’all need to ask yourself if your lady friend is predicting divorce or not! Laughing

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
You da Man!

So your telling me that after dating for oh I don't know 4-5 years (or even 1 to 2 for some), deciding you love this woman and that you would like to make a life with her because she is fantastic, loving, great cook, will be a super mom, and the two of you get along so well and it just all fits together so well, and then when she says I'm keeping my last name, your like, "That's it, I'm outta here!" You throw it all away because of that? I'm guessing you just never really faced the question so easy to say that, because the other answer is just absurd, in my humble opinion.

Been married for 30 plus years to an incredible woman. We have tremendous kids. I can't imagine having passed it all up just because she wanted to keep her last name.

Yes, that is what I’m saying. But realistically, the conversation would have(did) come up earlier than right before marriage, and if that’s what my current wife was he’ll-bent about at the time we had the conversation, then the relationship wouldn’t have ever became serious enough to truly worry about it.

Call me old school I guess.

Two things had a buddy that married HS sweetheart she was self proclaimed woman’s libber and navy brat, kept her own name. he was crazy she was so laid back worked for them, never had kids. Another buddy’s kid married a gal both kind of out there I guess, both brilliant and they made up a new last name by combining the ones they had, devastated the dad, just seemed like he was giving up his balls.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Wife kept her own name, I guess I never gave it a second thought...she is a strong independent woman, I support her 100%.

I guess I wonder what the kids (assuming they have kids) do... which last name do they take? Sons take dad’s name? Daughters take mom’s? Hyphenate? They all take the same last name, and it seems as though mom and dad never married?

Just leads to confusion, at least initially. I guess I’m not opposed to keeping your last name (if female), but glad I didn’t have to deal with that 25 years ago.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I know a dude, who had a long ass German last name and he took his wife's name. ha ha ha they ended up divorcing, he kept the name and now he is remarried, and his current wife took his ex-wife's name too. WTF

thats good.

Reading this is interesting, as usual. A lot of female doctors keep their names because if licenses. Last I knew, the law allowed for one alias, so you can legally have two different last names. This would be like an actor or radio person who doesn' t use their real name.

We do something different in that we use my wife's maiden name when we go anywhere they ask for your name to register like at a restaurant or something. So when they blurt out a name it's not really our name.

This is really going to make the geneology people work hard to track these family trees!

Reading this is interesting, as usual. A lot of female doctors keep their names because if licenses. Last I knew, the law allowed for one alias, so you can legally have two different last names. This would be like an actor or radio person who doesn' t use their real name.

We do something different in that we use my wife's maiden name when we go anywhere they ask for your name to register like at a restaurant or something. So when they blurt out a name it's not really our name.

This is really going to make the geneology people work hard to track these family trees!
I used to give our names at restaurants as one of the Ninja Turtles...my kids loved it!!!

I wouldn't have a problem with my bride not wanting to change her last name. I just wouldn't hyphenate my name. If she doesn't want to change, then either we have different last names or we both change to one non-hyphenated name. That's my take (I'm old).

Now I'm seeing kids with hyphenated names because their parents went that route. What happens when Joe Johnson-Wilhelm marries Jane Jackson-Fletcher? Do they become Mr and Mrs Johnson-Wilhelm-Jackson-Fletcher?
Mr and Mrs Johnhelm-Jackher.

Wife kept her own name, I guess I never gave it a second thought...she is a strong independent woman, I support her 100%.
Wife took my name. I guess I never gave it a second thought....she is a weak and dependent woman, I dont really support her at all.

Dont really care either way, just giving you shit about the implication of someone doing the opposite.

Reactions: timnsun
My wife kept her last name. Her dad only had daughters so it was really important to her to keep the family name going. It didn't really matter to me either way if she took my name or not. Our boys' last name is hyphenated. It does get a bit confusing to people especially announcers at games. Sometimes I will get a call from a telemarketer addressing me with her last name and other times they do the same to her. At the end of the day, it's just a name. We have somehow managed to stay married for 20 years this way. It will be up to our boys how they handle the whole last name thing if they get married. If they end up with four last names so be it. Again...just a name.

I know a dude, who had a long ass German last name and he took his wife's name. ha ha ha they ended up divorcing, he kept the name and now he is remarried, and his current wife took his ex-wife's name too. WTF

jesus

Something like Boris Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz on Royal Pains? I myself would love to make people try to say that when referring to me. (Of course I'm of German ancestry so that may have a part in my thinking)

Something like Boris Kuester von Jurgens-Ratenicz on Royal Pains? I myself would love to make people try to say that when referring to me. (Of course I'm of German ancestry so that may have a part in my thinking)

I can't remember the name, something ....huegel, but the original wife was dead set against it, her last name was Park I think. I just find it funny that his new wife has his ex's last name.

I wondered what kids with hyphenated names would do if they married another kid with hyphens. Back of the jersey would read like a book: Brock smith-johnson-jones-creedwaddle, gonna need more letters than Thor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT