ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT...Fluorescent light fixture

grayhairedfreak

Sophomore
Aug 21, 2010
While replacing the light tubes in one this morning (the kind of tubes with 2 prongs that roll into place), I broke off a small piece of plastic in one of the fixture 'sockets' that helps hold the prongs in place. The opposite socket isn't broken and is holding well enough that the light still works, but I'm concerned this isn't a long-term solution. Can those sockets be replaced individually or does the whole fixture need to be replaced? TIA to the experts!

I doubt you'll ever find that particular piece that broke. Could rig it with a bit of electric tape or something similar. Likely very cheap to upgrade to an LED ballast, that you'll probably never have to mess with.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Big red rising is correct about price. However to specifically answer your question, if it's working AND doesn't get moved it should continue working.

Your best bet would be to go to a salvage or scrap yard and look. All you have to do is pull one out of an old fixture. Not much to the innards of a florescent light fixture.

Good luck and happy tinkering.

While replacing the light tubes in one this morning (the kind of tubes with 2 prongs that roll into place), I broke off a small piece of plastic in one of the fixture 'sockets' that helps hold the prongs in place. The opposite socket isn't broken and is holding well enough that the light still works, but I'm concerned this isn't a long-term solution. Can those sockets be replaced individually or does the whole fixture need to be replaced? TIA to the experts!
ALSO, if you can find a mom and pop electrical service/store I'm sure they would have something lying around they've changed out.

Very common. Its just called a lampholder and they sell them at hardware stores, Menards, home depot, etc. Cost a couple of bucks, but quite honestly it really doesn't matter as long as the bulb is held in place. Its not going to short out or get hot enough to start a fire.. Don't go replacing the whole fixture for this. When the ballast goes out, then upgrade to an LED fixture. Dont buy the replacement LED bulbs for it, just stick with the t8 fluorescents that it likely already has.

ALSO, if you can find a mom and pop electrical service/store I'm sure they would have something lying around they've changed out.
Yes and those old hardware stores are slowly closing. Did you ever make the auction for the one in Alexandria a number years ago? Wally sure had a lot of new old stock. I was able to buy a few things, wish I would have bought some regular and tile spades, the ones you buy today are junk

Reactions: huskerfan66
Very common. Its just called a lampholder and they sell them at hardware stores, Menards, home depot, etc. Cost a couple of bucks, but quite honestly it really doesn't matter as long as the bulb is held in place. Its not going to short out or get hot enough to start a fire.. Don't go replacing the whole fixture for this. When the ballast goes out, then upgrade to an LED fixture. Dont buy the replacement LED bulbs for it, just stick with the t8 fluorescents that it likely already has.
Accreditation...?

...or link?

ADVERTISEMENT