ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Field Of Dreams...

Some movies that seemed badass at the time do not stand the test of time very well...Field Of Dreams is one, couldn't pay me to watch it now. Hot Tub Time Machine stands taller....

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Best moments were when Burt Lancaster was on screen. Otherwise, kind of meh.

Enjoyed the novel (Shoeless Joe) more. Same author wrote The Iowa Baseball Confederacy, which is really good.

I'm kind of surprised at this....I have this movie since word go....but to each his/her own....

My favorite scene....."What's in it for me?"

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
What do you consider to be free speech? Seriously curious. I think the idea is tossed around, but most people don't really understand what it means in practice.
The right to express any opinions without censorship, restraint or legal repercussions.

The fact that someone could say Bull Durham a shitty rom com masquerading as a baseball movie is better than Field of Dreams? Makes me sad.
Same goes for Tin Cup. Someone tells you that is their favorite golf movie? Probably ok to laugh at them.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
The fact that someone could say Bull Durham a shitty rom com masquerading as a baseball movie is better than Field of Dreams? Makes me sad.
Same goes for Tin Cup. Someone tells you that is their favorite golf movie? Probably ok to laugh at them.

Bull Durham and Tin Cup are freaking fantastic....I like to order take out from Applebees and binge watch 'em at least once a month.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
If we want to be Iowa, where our absolute ceiling is 9-10 wins, then I might agree, but I feel like people forget that in the 90's, we were able to shove people around and dominate both lines because no one was doing strength and nutrition like us. It seems like at this point, everyone is on par or better than us in that department, so I don't see how we can expect to implement a TO, run-first offense and be successful.

In addition to the recruiting disadvantage we have by being located in Lincoln, NE, you would introduce a further recruiting disadvantage by having to sell an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL.

Frost's offense would look competent and dare I say it, even dangerous, if we had an above average (not elite) QB that is comfortable making downfield throws.

I love Tin Cup.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
I don't think the two are comparable. They are very different movies. I like Bull Durham better.

There is a scene where Costner and his wife (liberals) are standing up to conservatives who are trying to ban books and free speech. Times are a changin.

They are trying to prevent a government entity from violating the 1st amendment. Without a government actor, the 1st amendment is inapplicable. In other words, a loud mouth at the bar who is being dragged out by the proprietor cannot invoke the 1st amendment.

Been that case since 1789.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
While taking a bubble bath? Or, or ummm I'm trying to think of something a chick would do to watch those shit movies. Ehh. To each her own I guess.

Dude!!! You baggin on bubble bath's now to? First of all, they aren't "bubble baths" they're ..."Marinating your cute little girl friend in hot soapy water while you keep her wine glass full" special moments....and yeah, I do that a lot.....and she can even listen to Kenny G if she wants, as long as I get what I want.

They are trying to prevent a government entity from violating the 1st amendment. Without a government actor, the 1st amendment is inapplicable. In other words, a loud mouth at the bar who is being dragged out by the proprietor cannot invoke the 1st amendment.

This is my understanding of free speech. The protection of free speech, enshrined in the 1st amendment, is intended to prevent the government from prohibiting or infringing on the right to express thoughts and ideas. Obviously speech is being discussed now because of social media decisions to curb or ban certain people. It is an interesting conversation, to be sure. After all, the companies don't have clear rules and enforcement has seemed arbitrary. Still, they are businesses, not government. Iclone's example of a loud mouth at a bar gets to the heart of the matter. People shout free speech in situations that have nothing at all to do with the 1st amendment protection. For that matter, I run into a lot of people who shout "it's a free country" presumably with the assumption that they are entitled to do as they please. The argument isn't exactly compatible with "we are a nation of laws."

Why can’t they make another college football movie? We used to come home in between 2 a days and watch The Program. So good. Not sure if it stands the test of time. But I used to love that movie

Of course you do know that many public schools are currently banning books and some professors are even calling for the banning of certain books, right? I mean your media leaves you well informed and all......right?

Of course you do know that many public schools are currently banning books and some professors are even calling for the banning of certain books, right? I mean your media leaves you well informed and all......right?
what books are being banned where you live?

Reactions: iclone

Yes, a free press is also something guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. I'm assuming that you can point to evidence of these assertions that you make today?

Yes, a free press is also something guaranteed in the Bill of Rights. I'm assuming that you can point to evidence of these assertions that you make today?
Yeah, he saw it on Facebook.

story also from la times below since youll be triggered and offended by daily wire

Heres a UC Berkley professor calling for burning books then acting surprised anyone would take offense to that, like THEYRE the problem. Dont worry, it includes her tweets.

Or we can just throw tantrums and ban authors from speaking because they dont like their views : https://depauliaonline.com/23815/news/conservative-commentator-shapiro-banned-speaking-depaul/

Theres more, they pop up from time to time, including one in Alaska. But I’m sure this post won’t count for some reason or another.

story also from la times below since youll be triggered and offended by daily wire

Heres a UC Berkley professor calling for burning books then acting surprised anyone would take offense to that, like THEYRE the problem. Dont worry, it includes her tweets.

Or we can just throw tantrums and ban authors from speaking because they dont like their views : https://depauliaonline.com/23815/news/conservative-commentator-shapiro-banned-speaking-depaul/

Theres more, they pop up from time to time, including one in Alaska. But I’m sure this post won’t count for some reason or another.

That's interesting and disappointing.

How come no one wants to comment about dances with wolves, god damn I know it started with sports but thought we were going to discuss Costner, side note he is my favorite actor even though I was removed from my blackjack seat at the midnight star for drunkenly saying F... Kevin Costner. Hope he can forgive me for that

Dude!!! You baggin on bubble bath's now to? First of all, they aren't "bubble baths" they're ..."Marinating your cute little girl friend in hot soapy water while you keep her wine glass full" special moments....and yeah, I do that a lot.....and she can even listen to Kenny G if she wants, as long as I get what I want.

this guy gets it

How come no one wants to comment about dances with wolves, god damn I know it started with sports but thought we were going to discuss Costner, side note he is my favorite actor even though I was removed from my blackjack seat at the midnight star for drunkenly saying F... Kevin Costner. Hope he can forgive me for that

One of the worst actors of all time, and he knows it, so you're good

I‘m not sure you understand the difference between banning a book and local control over curriculum (like when creationism is taught in science class).

I know you do not understand the concept of a government actor when invoking the 1st amendment.

I‘m not sure you understand the difference between banning a book and local control over curriculum (like when creationism is taught in science class).

I know you do not understand the concept of a government actor when invoking the 1st amendment.
Typical response.
The discussion was clearly about the scene in field of dreams. This is an obvious correlation.
Public schools are a government actor, anyway.

But go ahead and create whatever you need to shrug this one off. NBD when schools are banning classics and professors are calling for book burning. Nothing to see here.

ADVERTISEMENT