ADVERTISEMENT

Watches

My body style is weird in that I'm built like an octopus. I wish I could say I am skinny, but I'm truly a fat guy with skinny arms and legs, like an octopus. So watches don't look right on my thin wrists.

Now my grandpa, he was a butcher at a Hormel plant for 30 years. That gives you wrists made for a watch. As long as you don't focus in the meat hooks it gives you for hands and just look at the watch. He wears an old timex that you buy for $20. It looks amazing on him.
That was the most bizarre interesting thing I've read in a long time.

I have a problem.
I want all the watches.
I have 11 and want 12.
When I get 12 I will want 13.

I am out of control.

I want to know what watches you wear.

Casio...12$ Tennis sweat resistant watch....begins to stink after a while....

If you are outside in the dark, or if you are sleeping in a tent or a bedroom with no electricity and your phone don't work, you will wish you had a Timex Indiglo on your wrist.
I only slept in a tent one time and I didn't have one, but I wish I would of.
I've had my electricity cut off a couple 2-3 times and wished I had one.
Plus you can beat the hell out of them and they keep on working.

Was reading through this and was shocked nobody had mentioned an Apple Watch, then noticed the thread was from 2016.

Have an Apple Watch, rarely wear it.

I've acquired a taste for the Japanese Domestic Model Seikos. Most of them run in the $300-$500 range, but I only have two at the moment.

The SARG015 (blue) and the SARB033 (black). My next purchase will be the "Cocktail time" watch which is basically silver.

For a "beater" watch I'll probably end up with a Seiko SKX007 diver. Alot of the military types I work with wear G Shocks, and I thought about getting one, but I've never been a huge fan of the digital readout and I really don't need anything to handle extreme situations. Just mucking about the yard, working on the car, around town.

Personally I think Seiko automatics are way better bang for the buck than the Swiss models. I'm a fan of the Hamilton field style watches though.
Diver watches are odd to me. Raise your hand if you ever been diving or even swimming and left your watch on or thought you needed a special timepiece for such an occasion. Now I do like a nice aviator watch, but mostly for nostalgic purposes

WTF is with all these ancient threads coming back to life this week?

.....you couldn't pay me to wear a watch of any kind from anyone. Don't do jewelry, not even a wedding ring, when I WAS married.

I have Gucci, several seiko's , citizen eco -drive, bulova, Tommy Bahama, timex , fossil ( Nebraska watch ) and I just bought a Galaxy S2 smartwatch that should arrive tomorrow.

I have a problem.
I want all the watches.
I have 11 and want 12.
When I get 12 I will want 13.

I am out of control.

I want to know what watches you wear.
I have the same issue, I collect classic Omega's. Here is my fav, a pre moon speedmaster.

XEBp1Sfl.jpg

From Cheech and Chong (back in the 70s:

Cheech: Psssst. Hey Mister come here...wanna buy a watch?
Chong: No, man. Why do I need a watch?
Cheech: If you had a watch, you'd know it's night time. And night time's no time to be in this part of town.

I have changed my thinking on watches.. I own a few cheaper ones.. ($50-250) been trying to sell them for awhile because I never wear them, but I'm convinced to do it right, you have to go high end.

If you do it right, you won't lose any money from buying a high end watch.

Doing it wrong like me is buying a half dozen 'cheap watches' which become much harder to resell, and is just money down the drain.

I have 2 Belair watches. Both run around $500 and look great, although I have to admit my neighbor works for a nice (not chain) jewelry store and gets us the friends and family discount. It helps a bunch.

I keep seeing other ones I like as I have a problem with watches as well. However, I have an even bigger problem with Nikon lenses and they are even more expensive.

I have a beautiful Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, received from wife on my first time to be a Vice President
1972 purchase.
Seldom worn as I went to battery watch to facilitate heavy travel schedule

I suppose I could leave it to the family and a hundred years from now someone would "yust go nuts" over it.
Could do eBay but don't think it is getting the attention there it deserves for its condition.
Tested it recently - accurate for week if not taken off, lost 5 or 15 min ( ? can't remember) when off for sleep and shower.

Diver watches are odd to me. Raise your hand if you ever been diving or even swimming and left your watch on or thought you needed a special timepiece for such an occasion. Now I do like a nice aviator watch, but mostly for nostalgic purposes

I don't dive but the one thing I do like about diver designs is they are generally the most water-proof watches on offer (duh) making them good all-purpose watches. I'm shopping again on the lower end of the scale, so I'm generally looking for understated and not very garish with a billion features.

Maybe more of "classic Bond look at everyman prices".

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I never felt like I needed a watch until I traveled to visit my wife's family in El Salvador for the first time back in 2009. They don't have any clocks anywhere in that country, it was frustrating not knowing what time it was and of course my cell phone didn't work there, so I started wearing my HR monitor, which had a watch to it. Since then I've always worn a watch. I wore a Fitbit for a few years until I got an Apple Watch given to me as a gift, and I love the thing. I didn't see the need for the Apple Watch at first, but it is the most handy tool that I have, I now feel naked without the thing.

Never could stand wearing a watch or a wedding ring.
We must've been separated at birth. I feel exactly the same. I haven't worn a watch since the day I got a phone with a clock. I wear the wedding band about twice a year when I'm trying to impress the wife. They both feel.... constricting.

I think watches are cool but I'm left handed and it makes it a pain to write with a watch on. So I dont wear one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT