ADVERTISEMENT

Washington NFL

I can only speak for my family, but growing up the grandson of the granddaughter of Chief running bull, Souix tribe, the only team she cheered as hard for as her huskers, was the Redskins. She nor her kin had any other affiliation with D.C. the Irony is, that's where most of the broken promises that put her in the reform schools to whitewash her and her family originated.

That's a narrow view of why I feel that this a vocal minority affecting this change. Glad I dont care that much but I'm sure she would be pissed R.I.P Gramma Jan. And go Niners. GBR
Boom there it is. Great post. I know a few Native Americans and all of them were disappointed that the Fighting Sioux changed their nickname. I don't know how they feel about the Washington Redskins but I've heard them refer to themselves by that exact moniker or red men. Whatever. Personally I always viewed sports names as a way of honoring the chosen nickname. I do understand why some might find it offensive but man aren't there important things we need to deal with.

Reactions: scarletred
Boom there it is. Great post. I know a few Native Americans and all of them were disappointed that the Fighting Sioux changed their nickname. I don't know how they feel about the Washington Redskins but I've heard them refer to themselves by that exact moniker or red men. Whatever. Personally I always viewed sports names as a way of honoring the chosen nickname. I do understand why some might find it offensive but man aren't there important things we need to deal with.

What it is also sad, not very many people realize that Head Coach Lone Star Dietz lobbied for the nickname Redskins because he and several players were Native Americans back in 1933..

ADVERTISEMENT