ADVERTISEMENT

Was OU the best team on our schedule?

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
On paper OU was the best team on our schedule. And it was a game we could have won and probably should have. So does our performance against OU mean that we really do have the talent to compete with and beat every remaining team on our schedule? Is it even remotely possible that we catch lightning in a bottle and run the table? Or at least win 6 more games?

Or…. is OU overrated? Could it be that they really are a soft Big 12 team lacking in physicality? If so, our showing against them may not mean very much.

MSU appears to be legit. The game this week will determine the rest of our season. A must win game.

I think you guys showed a lot of heart and if your team shows up like that every week have something to build on. That being said, I have watched Oklahoma now twice and my money is on Iowa state to win the b12. Iowa would beat oklohoma, probably by 2 scores, they don't have a great defense or lines on either side and Rattler isn't that great.

On paper OU was the best team on our schedule. And it was a game we could have won and probably should have. So does our performance against OU mean that we really do have the talent to compete with and beat every remaining team on our schedule? Is it even remotely possible that we catch lightning in a bottle and run the table? Or at least win 6 more games?

Or…. is OU overrated? Could it be that they really are a soft Big 12 team lacking in physicality? If so, our showing against them may not mean very much.

MSU appears to be legit. The game this week will determine the rest of our season. A must win game.

Hard to tell right now, but it looks like Michigan might be the best we play. I like that the game is @NU after they have to play @Wiscy. Two away games in a row are tough.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
MSU is a dark horse. They’ve got some players. Iowa has been very good so far: Wisco is solid. Is Michigan for real?

I still think Ohio State is the best team we will face. It is early in the season but I think OU is not even in the Top 8 Nationally.

I hope by season’s end it turns out that I was wrong and OU was a very good team and so were we this year. College Football is the best sport in America!!

I still think Ohio State is the best team we will face. It is early in the season but I think OU is not even in the Top 8 Nationally.

I hope by season’s end it turns out that I was wrong and OU was a very good team and so were we this year. College Football is the best sport in America!!
I was not impressed by OU. I think they are overrated.

Wisconsin is the toughest game on the schedule. They already played Penn State and still average close to 100 fewer yards than Iowa does right now.

Frost isn't going to be able to run the ball between the tackles against WI since he doesn't focus on making that successful week to week.

That November slate of games are an 0-3 ass kicking waiting to happen.

• Haha
Reactions: pharvey0829
Style and matchups are where games are decided. OU played into our hand by not dedicating to the run. Say what you want about the Big 10 but Nebraska has yet to show that it can compete in the physical games in-conference. Let’s see how we do Sat against a team that will try to impose its will on us.

I was not impressed by OU. I think they are overrated.
OU always stumbles early to someone early in the year but get things rolling eventually…
Who ever wins the Big 12 won’t be decided till the Big 12 CC game and I wouldn’t count out WV..

Need to see more of Michigan too early.. Ioway defense is stout will they have to carry the offense in some of their bigger games coming up?

This is how I rank the rest of the schedule from easiest to hardest:

1: Northwestern
2: Purdue
3: Michigan State
4: Michigan
5: Minnesota
6: Iowa
7: Ohio State
8: Wisconsin

This is how I rank the rest of the schedule from easiest to hardest:

1: Northwestern
2: Purdue
3: Michigan State
4: Michigan
5: Minnesota
6: Iowa
7: Ohio State
8: Wisconsin
Wisky offense isn’t that good but I would agree with the last 4 in different order..

Wisky offense isn’t that good but I would agree with the last 4 in different order..
I think Michigan is better than Minny after the injury to Ibrahim, but Minny is still pretty salty and well coached. With MSU much improved and Purdue playing ND tough our schedule has to be near the toughest this year. I could still bite nails we missed the opportunity to beat Illinois. Everyone would feel differently about this team and staff after Saturday without the loss to Illinois.

I would put Michigan ahead of Minnesota and OSU ahead of Wisky.
I’m looking at Minnesota and that game will be very difficult to win… Michigan is at home and it some how some way, we slide by in win the next 2 games I might start getting a glare of hope…

Big If!

OU is a very good team. Were they the best on our schedule? I don't know. But they didn't have a good game at all, and we need to take advantage when the opponent is having an off game. There's other very good teams on our schedule who won't have off games when we play them. We'll need to maintain that effort level all throughout the season along with cutting out mistakes to be able to compete with teams like that.

I think OU is rated a few spots too high. Not 100% certain I agree with the “lacks physicality” opinion.

They rushed for 194 yards on 35 carries, a healthy 5.5 average. You don’t do that if your O-line isn’t moving people. When they needed to run the ball at the end of the game to put it away, NU could not stop them.

Their defense had 5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss. They gave up only 97 rushing yards.
They looked plenty physical to me. Are they a great team? No. But outside of Bama, who is? Ohio State struggled deep into the fourth quarter with an 0-3 Tulsa team that lost to UC-Davis.

I think you guys showed a lot of heart and if your team shows up like that every week have something to build on. That being said, I have watched Oklahoma now twice and my money is on Iowa state to win the b12. Iowa would beat oklohoma, probably by 2 scores, they don't have a great defense or lines on either side and Rattler isn't that great.
And I've seen Iowa State 3x and I would bet money they don't come anywhere near a Big XII championship...not impressed at all, paper tiger

Reactions: BCDHawk

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think OU is the best team on our schedule. I think they lose at least two games.

Pre-season rankings mean dick. Why was OU ranked #3 this season? Because they barely squeaked by powerhouse Tulane? We really won't know until later in the season if such rankings are deserved. Most likely they will lose a couple of games and finish in the #15-20 range, depending on how things shake out.

Wisconsin is the toughest game on the schedule. They already played Penn State and still average close to 100 fewer yards than Iowa does right now.

Frost isn't going to be able to run the ball between the tackles against WI since he doesn't focus on making that successful week to week.

That November slate of games are an 0-3 ass kicking waiting to happen.
They got whooped by Michigan and Notre Dame.

OU looks like a different team when Caleb Williams comes in at QB. They outscored Texas 34-10 with him in the game. It will be interesting to see how they handle the situation moving forward. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rattler enter the transfer portal after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
0su is the best team we will face, I think 0u is the second best
both are pretty good, top 10 types
Agree with both. OSU's defense is starting to play a little better each week and their offense is lethal - the best in CF. Their whole season depends on how much their defense gets throughout the year.

With OU, it's a matter of trying to outscore them and that's not easy.

OU, MSU, Mich, OSU, Iowa….toss them all in a hat. Play error free and we could (almost have) nip any of them, with any errors we likely can’t.

if those teams played a round robin…OSU and Iowa are the only ones that probably separate a smidge…OSU offense and embarrassment of riches in talent, Iowa’s D and Special Teams is arguably top 3 units in the country (those matter too)

OU looks like a different team when Caleb Williams comes in at QB. They outscored Texas 34-10 with him in the game. It will be interesting to see how they handle the situation moving forward. I wouldn't be shocked to see Rattler enter the transfer portal after this season.
Yes, good Huskers got Rattler, not Williams

Might be Michigan, I suspect Michigan beats Ohio State and Penn State this year.

Ohio State is the toughest game left now that we have more data to go off of.

I'd now rank the toughest as:

Ohio State, then Iowa, then Wisconsin and there is a massive gap between Iowa and Wisconsin in matter of toughness.

Ohio State is the toughest game left now that we have more data to go off of.

I'd now rank the toughest as:

Ohio State, then Iowa, then Wisconsin and there is a massive gap between Iowa and Wisconsin in matter of toughness.
I would say Michigan is tougher than Wisconsin. Didn't Michigan kick the crap out of Wisconsin?

ADVERTISEMENT