ADVERTISEMENT

Warren addresses Nebraska

yep, at least they have that option to do it and not be forced to sit on the side lines and watch because a commissioner said so.

You know we've been in a conference like 100 years right? You take your lumps sometimes.

Yes I do but it still doesn’t change the point. I’m not against the BIG 10 nor the Big 12. But at the same time, there is advantages to being independent.

I mean, we can't run away everytime we get butthurt about something.

Remember, the basic end state everyone thinks will happen when we ditch amateurism for real is that we end up in a super conference of like 16 teams with real divisions and expanded playoffs (four for a total of 64 power teams).

If you got a problem with authority being flexed, you might want to consider running with the small schools while we have the chance. Those super conference commisioners aren't going to cater to NU's whims.

Remember, the basic end state everyone thinks will happen when we ditch amateurism for real is that we end up in a super conference of like 16 teams with real divisions and expanded playoffs (four for a total of 64 power teams).

If you got a problem with authority being flexed, you might want to consider running with the small schools while we have the chance. Those super conference commisioners aren't going to cater to NU's whims.
Uh oh, you said "we." Huskersalts is gonna be all over you now.

right, well we will see soon enough which way Moos, the University big wigs and those guys decide to go. Again, I just pointed out Notre Dame showed the advantage of being independent. You do what you choose and they didn’t have to ask anyone for permission to do it.

Honestly, myself, I felt each team should be allowed to play if they want to. You know? Each team should have a right to play or opt out of the season at a time like this. That’s how I view it.

right, well we will see soon enough which way Moos, the University big wigs and those guys decide to go. Again, I just pointed out Notre Dame showed the advantage of being independent. You do what you choose and they didn’t have to ask anyone for permission to do it.

Honestly, myself, I felt each team should be allowed to play if they want to. You know? Each team should have a right to play or opt out of the season at a time like this. That’s how I view it.

You know when I thought about joining the Army my dad told me to think about those things before I sign the paperwork and Uncle Sam owns me.

I think the same lesson applies to signing the conference paperwork. Hard to be a free floating hippie with a $51 million per year contract hanging around your neck.

You know when I thought about joining the Army my dad told me to think about those things before I sign the paperwork and Uncle Sam owns me.

I think the same lesson applies to signing the conference paperwork. Hard to be a free floating hippie with a $51 million per year contract hanging around your neck.

agreed and again, we will see soon enough what happens. It appears our Huskers aren’t going out without a fight.

no, he’s fine. I know he’s a legit Husker fan. You on the other hand, nope...I don’t believe it for a second. I seen the BS you post and say on this board and I got to say, I don’t see any other Husker fans talking and saying the crap you spew out of your mouth.

Pretty sure Cedric has been here since before you were still pooping your pants. I dont mind most of your posts, but when one person constantly is in pissing matches with regular posters, that person is generally the asshole.

Pretty sure Cedric has been here since before you were still pooping your pants. I dont mind most of your posts, but when one person constantly is in pissing matches with regular posters, that person is generally the asshole.

Are you his boyfriend or what? And I’m not on here arguing with anyone. I simply asked him why he kept saying we. I went to his profile first, scrolled through his postings and replies and dude spews nothing but garbage. Outside that, I haven’t been fighting or arguing with anyone. Either way, have a good one.

Last edited:
no, he’s fine. I know he’s a legit Husker fan. You on the other hand, nope...I don’t believe it for a second. I seen the BS you post and say on this board and I got to say, I don’t see any other Husker fans talking and saying the crap you spew out of your mouth.
I'm so concerned about what you think. Now I won't be able to sleep.

Damn Gen-Z punks!
You just mentioned joining the Army. Are you military? My son is in Iraq right now. It's one of the things that keeps me up so late on these nights. He's at a base in Urbal (sp?)

You just mentioned joining the Army. Are you military? My son is in Iraq right now. It's one of the things that keeps me up so late on these nights. He's at a base in Urbal (sp?)

Erbil is the Americanized spelling. Or at least one of them. Irbil is also popular. Northern Iraq.

Nah, my dad told me I had better options (he basically meant college), and after having been in the Army 22 years he said he would not like to see me sign my life away.

I've been in the national security apparatus for the last 17 years or so, I'll leave it at that.

I'll be interested to see if the "remain in the safe confines of Husker athletics" becomes a sticking point at all.

Per Alvarez, B1G teams get 20 hours a week of "practice" which might be more appropriately termed "team activities". Basic walk throughs, film study, etc.

Is there anything barring NU from caring for Husker athletes? It would appear not. Hell "practice" may just be another poison pill from the league meant to address coaches number one rebuttal over the summer...that athletes need university managed medical care.

They appear to have it. And they don't have to play games to get it.

The next thing to fight about it is whether Frost/Moos/NU should have said originally its more specifically about the money rather than the care provided by trainers? I'm not sure that NU wants to take that step. The rest of the league is apparently willing to eat the cost, and NU is among the richer in the league to begin with.

Last edited:
Odd that now the conference is manning up to make the decision to not let us play, but they sat behind close doors and mock schedules with everything else. I don't see the harm in letting the schools play outside of conference if they choose. You have freed yourself of the liability, now go and sit behind a desk for the next year since there will not be a spring season. Not to mention that in addition to the conference and recruiting repercussions, the cities and States are going to fail substantially with no season.

Conferences are nice for security, but we can make it just fine on our own. Time to stop acting like we need somebody else to get by and let go of our principles. Note Dame had it right the entire time.
I have to disagree with this statement I don’t know how fine we’d be without that conference income, take it from someone that travels all over the states, the Nebraska brand isn’t as National as it used to be in the 90s... I’ve been traveling since 2004 and I have seen the steady decline in Nebraska’s national brand... Notre Dame can do it because they still have that cult following... Don’t get me wrong, people still know Nebraska and I’ll still get stopped every now and then and told how the miss when Nebraska was good, but the actually fan base isn’t there... and to make it solo you need to sell the merchandise, you need to get on TV nationally we would be losing a ton of money by going independent

I have to disagree with this statement I don’t know how fine we’d be without that conference income, take it from someone that travels all over the states, the Nebraska brand isn’t as National as it used to be in the 90s... I’ve been traveling since 2004 and I have seen the steady decline in Nebraska’s national brand... Notre Dame can do it because they still have that cult following... Don’t get me wrong, people still know Nebraska and I’ll still get stopped every now and then and told how the miss when Nebraska was good, but the actually fan base isn’t there... and to make it solo you need to sell the merchandise, you need to get on TV nationally we would be losing a ton of money by going independent

I won’t argue any of that but the fan base part. We are still top 3-6 in the country for biggest fan bases. We have been down, yes, but we still have one of the country’s biggest fan bases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...st-powerful-fan-bases-in-college-football/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...5-ultimate-college-football-fanbases.amp.html

I won’t argue any of that but the fan base part. We are still top 3-6 in the country for biggest fan bases. We have been down, yes, but we still have one of the country’s biggest fan bases.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespu...st-powerful-fan-bases-in-college-football/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...5-ultimate-college-football-fanbases.amp.html

Yah but that means less over time. I'm not going to argue that NU fans aren't passionate or whatever, but the reality is this.

Notre Dame is basically an extension of the Catholic church, you'll get some random flunky who'll tune into Notre Dame-nobody game just to have a beer and drink with his pals. Getting small pct of the Catholic church as a built in audience is a pretty good help. NU-Illinois, which is a conference game, but not exactly lighting the world on fire, wouldn't be on TV outside of the central great plains region. The BTN has been a god send in that regard when we used to have to PPV quite a few of the smaller OOC games even within the B12.

On the east coast, regional games are going to feature someone like PSU vs anybody, going from the mid-atlantic region and northwards over an NU game, and there's a whole plethora of teams south like Clemson, Georgia, SC, NC, Miami who will have a decent game on. The west coast will flat out ignore us, I used to have to go to Danny K's in Orange to catch a game eating bar food at like 8am to see us play with the Californians for NU club.

while it may be fun to speculate on our options and hang sh1t on the league office,
the revenue $s are too great to walk away from and id be surprised if we could without severe financial consequences.
BUT the league looks really bad without even trying or letting everyone fend for themselves.
my wife is going to be in school with a lot kids soon and many academians, scientists, and doctors have claimed we cant go on distance learning. the risk was worth it in that case...?
and all the kids on college campuses are going to be all over each other in a week or so...
im beating a deadhorse, but im irritated the leagues that shutdown couldnt say, ‘were not sanctioning games, youre on your own for this year...’.

hats off to sec, acc, and b12. your led by some brains, not by a ring in their nose.

My opinion is being an independent would be fine for scheduling at the start. Plenty of schools would love to have us on the schedule. The problem comes the second time around. The draw wouldn't be quite as good.

As much as I like the thought it probably wouldn't work long-term.

For me it comes down to can we still play a couple OOC games this fall or can they squash that too. Play NDSU and play BYU.

Reactions: jflores
Scott Frost isn't holding any cards, he isn't dealing any cards either.

Yesterday OSU head coach Ryan Day was swinging a big bat around and talking about "exhausting every option" if the season is cancelled. Tonight he addressed the team and told them he believes "in his heart" that they will play football next Spring. Turns out there weren't many options for Ryan Day after all. The option cards were in the sole possession of OSU president Kristina Johnson.

Yes - I was being sarcastic

It has been all talk and no action for the past 3 years - this will be no different - everyone will get all lathered up about the passion, however

will probably see heavy doses of @OSU, PSU and Michigan in future schedules

Last edited:
So a couple of things.. when Scott says 'we want to play a big ten schedule', that was politics, an attempt to not piss off anyone personally in the big ten.

However, thinking you can go play in another conference for a season, and get their blessing, isn't going to work.

You have to jump ship to do it.

Nebraska could go the independent route, but that is probably not a good look or a good decision for the long term.

While the money might be less (or not) the Big 12 not only feels like home, it is where all our positive history comes from.

The administration basically threatened the Big Ten before, and then after their decision was made, so the cards are already on the table.

We are either going to eat a big humiliating sandwich, or join the Big 12.

Those are really the only two options on the table.

We will forever be ridiculed for leaving and returning, but the argument about fit is absolutely valid.

I know some fans won't ever get over the 1 second deal with Texas, but joining the Big 12 is really more about saving our program than anything else.

All those other Big Ten schools can likely survive just fine without their annual 100 million.

Lincoln, however with no season will be decimated in countless ways.

This is really a fight for the people and jobs of Lincoln.

The path may be hard and difficult, but you get through this and come out the other side, Scott elevates his standing and that of the program.

Go Big Red.

He commanded a carrier group and the Naval academy. He's capable of putting up with tremendous amounts of bullshit.

He's a guy to watch closely for sure. While he will exhaust every option to get Nebraska a season, those guys at the higher level of command are generally used to pulling a "put things in perspective" card that pisses off the lower ranks who are all about being right in that moment.

If he thinks the next 100 years of academic elbow rubbing in the B1G is worth the squeeze, then he's not going to toss it overboard for a handful of football games.

My thoughts exactly. While the decision not to play football sucks, The University of Nebraska is an institution of higher learning first and foremost. The overwhelming majority of the student Population does not play sports. It would be foolish, and irresponsible to walk away from the academic prestige and research money that comes with the Big Ten just for a few football games.

Outsider looking in (I find this incredibly interesting) but my perception is this.

1. Nebraska Athletics actually needs the money less than most (including most of your Big 10 bros). It is going to be very rough times for some of your members like Rutgers and Illinois.

2. I sympathize with the business owners in Lincoln but I don't think many football stadiums are going to be full even in the SEC. Everyone was going to take a financial hit. I think the assumption in Manhattan has been playing football with very few or no fans for a while now.

3. Nebraska does need to be affiliated with a conference. Notre Dame has become an ACC member that does whatever it wants.

4. The Big 10 is a double edged sword. I think there are really strong arguments for you guys to play nice with the Big 10 and stay........ but this development has to be very concerning. The Big 10 was the #1 revenue producer but they have probably ceded that permanently. The Big 10 will lose pretty much all of its revenue this year and that isn't easy to make up. Recruits are going to notice, more casual fans are noticing and the bowls are noticing. Fox and Disney are certainly not going to be happy with the Big 10's decision and are going to be more favorable to the ACC, Big 12 and SEC.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
So a couple of things.. when Scott says 'we want to play a big ten schedule', that was politics, an attempt to not piss off anyone personally in the big ten.

However, thinking you can go play in another conference for a season, and get their blessing, isn't going to work.

You have to jump ship to do it.

Nebraska could go the independent route, but that is probably not a good look or a good decision for the long term.

While the money might be less (or not) the Big 12 not only feels like home, it is where all our positive history comes from.

The administration basically threatened the Big Ten before, and then after their decision was made, so the cards are already on the table.

We are either going to eat a big humiliating sandwich, or join the Big 12.

Those are really the only two options on the table.

We will forever be ridiculed for leaving and returning, but the argument about fit is absolutely valid.

I know some fans won't ever get over the 1 second deal with Texas, but joining the Big 12 is really more about saving our program than anything else.

All those other Big Ten schools can likely survive just fine without their annual 100 million.

Lincoln, however with no season will be decimated in countless ways.

This is really a fight for the people and jobs of Lincoln.

The path may be hard and difficult, but you get through this and come out the other side, Scott elevates his standing and that of the program.

Go Big Red.
Yep! Good post

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Best case scenario for Nebraska is if the other conferences postpone their seasons, too.

Nebraska is most definitely NOT in a position where they can tell the B1G to "eff yourselves, we'll do what we want". That would be a classic 'cut off your nose to spite your face' move. NU needs the B1G more than they need NU. The B1G is better for NU than any other conference, too - including the Big 12. Unless the Big 12 is so desperate to have NU back that they will buy out NU's obligation to the B1G and cut the Big Red a sweetheart deal to ensure we see the same revenue we would have by staying in the B1G. In other words - not happening. Going independent would turn NU in to South Dakota. North Dakota State, if we are lucky.

I suppose it is possible for NU to tell the conference that they will opt out of a Spring Season because they have concerns about player welfare playing 20-25 games in less than a calendar year; along with the logistical issues of trying to cram a year's worth of sports into a 5 month window - Then have the B1G be sensitive to NU's concerns and give their blessing to play independent for a year. Possible in the same way Its also possible to win the Power Ball lottery.

He should know better than to call Scott Frost’s bluff - probably putting a fall schedule together as we speak -

Im sorry all but Nebraska has no option but to play nice and fall in line. Moving conference again isn't just as simple as saying we are done and leaving. We have other sports and things to consider. Plus the loss of revenue from the BIG10. Also not sure if there are fines we would owe the BIG10 for breaking contract. A big factor is the BIG10 owns our tv rights. What good is playing if we can't make any money.
As an angry fanbase it is a great idea to give the middle finger to the dip shit Kevin Warren and the rest of the BIG10 and leave. In reality I don't think its possible.

Reactions: WHCSC
Im sorry all but Nebraska has no option but to play nice and fall in line. Moving conference again isn't just as simple as saying we are done and leaving. We have other sports and things to consider. Plus the loss of revenue from the BIG10. Also not sure if there are fines we would owe the BIG10 for breaking contract. A big factor is the BIG10 owns our tv rights. What good is playing if we can't make any money.
As an angry fanbase it is a great idea to give the middle finger to the dip shit Kevin Warren and the rest of the BIG10 and leave. In reality I don't think its possible.

On the plus side we'll be seeing more of the premier teams in the league in the schedule in the near future which should satisfy our desire for more national telecast and night games.

Unless the contract explicitly said the conference has the authority to cancel sports, i think this is much more grey than black and white.

Also, since when does the commissioner have the authority to kick a school out? That would take a vote from the schools.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Unless the contract explicitly said the conference has the authority to cancel sports, i think this is much more grey than black and white.

Also, since when does the commissioner have the authority to kick a school out? That would take a vote from the schools.

The conference hasn't cancelled sports. It has postponed them and will reevaluate.

The conference hasn't cancelled sports. It has postponed them and will reevaluate.

While your statement is accurate, there is no way they are playing spring football unless its 4-5 exhibition type games. And then most starters will sit out so they don't lose a year of eligibility. The other sports can be made up in the winter and spring without destroying the athletes bodies.

While your statement is accurate, there is no way they are playing spring football unless its 4-5 exhibition type games. And then most starters will sit out so they don't lose a year of eligibility. The other sports can be made up in the winter and spring without destroying the athletes bodies.

Arbitration doesn't care that your football team was supposed to be "this" good but only was "that" good. There's nothing forcing those players to sit.

Alvarez and other have said a spring season would necessarily be shorter although I like other believe a spring season to be vaporware.

They did this to make it hard on us and others that might want to ruckus. In the end it was just us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT