ADVERTISEMENT

Warren addresses Nebraska

jlb321

Defensive Coordinator
Aug 8, 2014
He should know better than to call Scott Frost’s bluff - probably putting a fall schedule together as we speak -

Yah we ran into this mess. And now want to run back to that one.

We sure are showing them. Them works equally well with both parties in this case.
Conferences are nice for security, but we can make it just fine on our own. Time to stop acting like we need somebody else to get by and let go of our principles. Note Dame had it right the entire time.

With clarity from Warren this evening, onus is back on Nebraska.

Hopefully they had more than bravado in their back pocket. Not going to be a great look if it takes a week or two for us to come up with a plan.

The Notre Dame who is joining a conference when times get tough?
Not joining. Just adjusting to the situation and don't have an overlord telling them what they are allowed to do. Must be nice having a huge fan base that appreciates and supports that kind of autonomy.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Not joining. Just adjusting to the situation and don't have an overlord telling them what they are allowed to do. Must be nice having a huge fan base that appreciates and supports that kind of autonomy.

Oh well we just adjust to the situation most of the time. Makes the scheduling easier. :)

He sure has started off very poorly. Kinda routing for a crash n burn.

TBD. We had UM and OSU make a little noise from within the AD, but that was quelled within 24 hours. Warren clarified what would put NU in or out of bounds with respect to actions this fall and conference membership.

Nebraska is the only team really throwing a hissy right now from the POV of the B1G. Whether that amounts to anything remains to be seen.

Reactions: TheBeav815
He should know better than to call Scott Frost’s bluff - probably putting a fall schedule together as we speak

Scott Frost isn't holding any cards, he isn't dealing any cards either.

Yesterday OSU head coach Ryan Day was swinging a big bat around and talking about "exhausting every option" if the season is cancelled. Tonight he addressed the team and told them he believes "in his heart" that they will play football next Spring. Turns out there weren't many options for Ryan Day after all. The option cards were in the sole possession of OSU president Kristina Johnson.

Hypothetically, why couldn't Nebraska play some non-conference games this fall? What legal basis would there be to prevent this? I say call the commissioner's bluff.
Would be fantastic. Even if there is one, we play a few games and he gets all huffy n puffy and takes some action against us . . . would likely be seen as a serious douche move by him, but Jib and Nebraska_Realty would be all over Warrens sack

Please tell me you're kidding. Who would we schedule year in and year out? Check out what has happened with BYU.
Seriously? comparing BYU to nebraska? We would have no problem scheduling opponents.

Its like we've gotten to the point where people think Nebraska is nothing without the Big10 network money.

In all honesty I’ve never liked the move to the B10. Geographically and recruiting wise it has never made sense. I get the dollars thing where it’s a huge cash cow. Are we willing to risk leaving during a temporary crises over future cash cow money? In terms of competitiveness, I just don’t see us ever being the dominating horse in this conference. Ohio st., Michigan and Penn St. will always out recruit us and will always hold a tighter bond with the B10 than us. They’ll never have to adapt to us unless they get into scandals in which they seem to always bounce back rather quickly.

If we’re speaking money, damned if we’re the perennial Purdue, we should stay. But be careful, we can have a lot of money but going a long time without being relevant is also damaging to our brand (think Minnesota). If we’re speaking in regards to a better chance at winning, we should leave and go back to the B12.

Last edited:
Ted Carter is a former naval commander. Bill Moos is a wheat and cattle rancher and Scott Frost's parents are coaches What does that mean? They won’t put up with any bullshit.

He commanded a carrier group and the Naval academy. He's capable of putting up with tremendous amounts of bullshit.

He's a guy to watch closely for sure. While he will exhaust every option to get Nebraska a season, those guys at the higher level of command are generally used to pulling a "put things in perspective" card that pisses off the lower ranks who are all about being right in that moment.

If he thinks the next 100 years of academic elbow rubbing in the B1G is worth the squeeze, then he's not going to toss it overboard for a handful of football games.

Reactions: nu2u and TheNewNU
Seriously? comparing BYU to nebraska? We would have no problem scheduling opponents.

Its like we've gotten to the point where people think Nebraska is nothing without the Big10 network money.
You're right. We'd schedule Liberty, fellow independent New Mexico State, a couple of MAC schools and a few big-time opponents, IF we go to their place to play. We would not be able to get seven home games of quality and we'd be scrambling to fill out the schedule every year, yes, like BYU. We're a hell of a lot closer to BYU these days than Notre Dame.

You're right. We'd schedule Liberty, fellow independent New Mexico State, a couple of MAC schools and a few big-time opponents, IF we go to their place to play. We would not be able to get seven home games of quality and we'd be scrambling to fill out the schedule every year, yes, like BYU. We're a hell of a lot closer to BYU these days than Notre Dame.

Guys on here for 20 years said all we needed to do was spend money and get a good name out of the coaching pool and the recruits would just jump in the boat.

We spent $5 million and got arguably the hottest name available and its still a battle. Pay no attention to the independent scheduling non-sense, its the same bag-o-goods.

You serious Clark?

Nebraska has probably the 3rd or 4th largest fan base in the country. Why do people act like we are nothing because we haven't won a national championship for a couple of decades and had a few losing seasons? OMG, we ONLY had 65 thousand people show up for a game during our worst season in 60 years and hundreds of thousands more watch it on TV. Thank god the Big10 network is keeping us afloat. Nevermind the highest attendance for volleyball and 8th highest basketball attendance in the country. Nobody wants anything to do with that has-been Nebraska

Warren and the Big Ten completely botched this thing. The conference should be preparing to play like the other conferences until it was clear everyone was going to cancel. Now the Big Ten puts its members at a massive competitive disadvantage if the other conferences play.

Independents are probably only a few teams away from gaining critical mass, which will ease the scheduling concerns. USC is rumored to be looking into it. And TX can't be that far behind. West Virginia might as well be an independent. I am sure that there are a couple of other schools out there who are sick of playing little sister to their league's favorites.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Independents are probably only a few teams away from gaining critical mass, which will ease the scheduling concerns. USC is rumored to be looking into it. And TX can't be that far behind. West Virginia might as well be an independent. I am sure that there are a couple of other schools out there who are sick of playing little sister to their league's favorites.

Yah you know when I think of little sisters to league favorites...teams like USC and Texas come to mind right off the bat.

Yah you know when I think of little sisters to league favorites...teams like USC and Texas come to mind right off the bat.

Sigh. In addition to the blue bloods, there are other schools who are sick of playing second fiddle to the Ohio States and Michigans and would also likely entertain becoming independent.

For example, that ACC is a mess. You could probably pull out BC, Syracuse and Pitt. Then they could regionalize travel for their minor sports.

All the major college football programs should break away from conferences and the NCAA, and form their own league with divisions based on geography. Then have an expanded playoff system. The schools in this league should be able to negotiate an even bigger TV deal.

This is why the independents are not long for this world.

All the major college football programs should break away from conferences and the NCAA, and form their own league with divisions based on geography. Then have an expanded playoff system. The schools in this new league should be able to negotiate an even bigger TV deal.

In a way, that's how it use to be with the older versions of today's conferences.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
In a way, that's how it use to be with the older versions of today's conferences.

Yah but they were never tied together in any meaningful fashion. We used to just stick a thumb in the air and see which football team looked better at the end. Folks like the playoffs but they don't like the four slots.

Getting out from under the thumb into super conferences allowed us to leave little schools behind (so spare me the crocodile tears folks have been shedding since march over what covid cancellation might mean for little schools), and allow big schools to generate serious money with an expanded playoff with real divisions and so forth.

Such a concept would also tie Notre Dame down, which no one seemed able to do, since they wouldn't want to be left out.

You serious Clark?

Nebraska has probably the 3rd or 4th largest fan base in the country. Why do people act like we are nothing because we haven't won a national championship for a couple of decades and had a few losing seasons? OMG, we ONLY had 65 thousand people show up for a game during our worst season in 60 years and hundreds of thousands more watch it on TV. Thank god the Big10 network is keeping us afloat. Nevermind the highest attendance for volleyball and 8th highest basketball attendance in the country. Nobody wants anything to do with that has-been Nebraska
You are delirious. This is my last post on the subject. 1. Basketball? Volleyball? Please enlighten me about the relevance of either when it comes to football scheduling. 2. We pull in $50 million per year from the Big 10 TV contract. Specifics -- how do you make that up? And if you can't, how do you carry on running the program in the same manner without it? Specifics. 3. You need to get out of state more. The perception of Nebraska football outside of Nebraska is not good. I get plenty of eye rolls and "I remember when you guys were good" when I tell people where I'm from. 4. Hundreds of thousands will watch on TV? Hardly, especially when we're playing New Mexico State. Sure, an independent Nebraska will fill the schedule. And it will be laughable.
Good night. Sleep well.

There's no way Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Texas would even think about putting us on the schedule. The fans wouldn't have it.*

There's no way Oklahoma, Notre Dame, or Texas would even think about putting us on the schedule. The fans wouldn't have it.*

We'd get on the schedule, but for it to work they'd more or less have to be independent too.

Texas isn't playing a conference slate and using one of its premier OOC slots to play us every year. They like playing OSU and all those other teams on a rotational basis. Same with OU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT