WaPo gets recording of Trump call and Georgia SoS

MIHusker9054

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2017
Geebus. I just listened to the whole thing.

I'm sorry, but if you're trying to justify this in any way, you have no integrity. Any other time in American history this information would cause BOTH sides to demand a resignation.

It would be nice to get back to an environment that that happens in. Unfortunately, I don't think either side will do that at this point..sure there will be some, but not enough to matter. Even if it had been a recording of Biden, you wouldn't get both sides demanding it.

Reactions: sklarbodds

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
Don't even engage about Obama, that plays into his whataboutism.

Obama was God awful to the press. There's no sugar coating that, but it has nothing to do with this and engaging in it with him only helps him use the fallacy
A parallel is not a fallacious argument:

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
It would be nice to get back to an environment that that happens in. Unfortunately, I don't think either side will do that at this point..sure there will be some, but not enough to matter. Even if it had been a recording of Biden, you wouldn't get both sides demanding it.
100%

The list of Republican objectors is growing, but they get called traitors and RINOs

Reactions: nelsonj22

Oldschool1964

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2009
Your mom's house
But it's not parallel. The OP is not about Trump's treatment of the media. So it's completely irrelevant.
I was talking about the argument between Trump and Obama.

BTW, that's called a "red herring", and yes, I'm at fault for that fallacy. I can admit it, but FCS, figure out the fallacy before you start accusing others of one.

• Haha
Reactions: tobermeyer24

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
C’mon. It’s been barely 2 years since Dems forced one of their own Senators to resign over questionable behavior - let alone clearly illegal behavior like Trump’s phone call.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
C’mon. It’s been barely 2 years since Dems forced one of their own Senators to resign over questionable behavior - let alone clearly illegal behavior like Trump’s phone call.
Senator and president are two totally different things entirely

tobermeyer24

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 30, 2015
Senator and president are two totally different things entirely
But apparently Democrats are going to force Biden out for being old so you'd think they'd come down a bit hard on sedition-y behavior. Obviously theoretical until Democrats find anyone who is close to as... colorful... as Trump.

MIHusker9054

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2017

When I wrote that I had the general public (and to some extent the media) in mind more than politicians for some reason. In Franken's case, it was more the democrats trying to save a seat in the Senate more than "forcing" him out. They knew if he resigned, he would be replaced by another Democrat until a special election could be held. If he didn't resign, the accusations would be used against him in reelection (assuming he won the primary). Some Democrats that called for his resignation at the time, have since said it was a mistake, at least not to let it go through the full ethics committee investigation.

Reactions: sklarbodds

lifer56

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 3, 2005
Yes. Requesting an Election official to find you more votes on the phone is ILLEGAL. Period. Not a gray area. In fact, Trump threatened him. Again, against the law.

Here is the law:

Universal Citation: GA Code § 21-2-604 (2016)
(a) (1) A person commits the offense of criminal solicitation to commit election fraud in the first degree when, with intent that another person engage in conduct constituting a felony under this article, he or she solicits, requests, commands, importunes, or otherwise attempts to cause the other person to engage in such conduct.

(2) A person commits the offense of criminal solicitation to commit election fraud in the second degree when, with intent that another person engage in conduct constituting a misdemeanor under this article, he or she solicits, requests, commands, importunes, or otherwise attempts to cause the other person to engage in such conduct.

(b) (1) A person convicted of the offense of criminal solicitation to commit election fraud in the first degree shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than three years.

(2) A person convicted of the offense of criminal solicitation to commit election fraud in the second degree shall be punished as for a misdemeanor.

(c) It is no defense to a prosecution for criminal solicitation to commit election fraud that the person solicited could not be guilty of the crime solicited.

(d) The provisions of subsections (a) through (c) of this Code section are cumulative and shall not supersede any other penal law of this state.
That's really good. George Conway tweeted a section from the federal code that he claimed trump had violated. But that section is no where as clear and easily provable as this state provision.

An interesting question is whether Georgia would have the authority (aka jurisdiction) to prosecute trump when his request was made from out of state. I know, for example, that there are child enticement laws where a guy in State A contacts a minor in State B about doing something illegal, and State B can prosecute him even if he never set foot in State B. I wonder if something like that is automatically applicable here, or if the criminal code has to specifically authorize such action.

Latest posts