ADVERTISEMENT

Walley World

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
Has anyone had their plans changed in a big way from covid-19?
I have a relative who was all ready to take his family to Disney land this week. and last Friday at the start of the day it was open and he was ready to go..
and at the end of Friday they closed Disney land..

So I just been telling him to go walley world on disney

Not me, personally. But a coworker was scheduled to fly to Italy this week. It was a vacation he and his wife had been dreaming about for like 20 years. His travel insurance didn't specifically cover virus outbreaks, so they had spent hours on the phone and weren't sure they were going to get refunds or not. He was actually taking it better than I would have, maybe he was still in shock.

Reactions: redwine65
YES.
I am a hospice chaplain and work in large upscale nursing homes bringing comfort to dying patients. Most facilities now disallow families on campus. Therefore I have been trying to fill the gap. Imagine family being separated during these last precious moments!? As we hear from the constant Coronavirus updates, this is the most at risk segment of our population. On the other side, my wife is a teacher who is at home on paid leave since the schools in our area of Pennsylvania are closed. She is enjoying time slowing down. Stay safe.

I was supposed to be in Hawaii this week with my family on spring break... Was extremely hard deciding to cancel but glad I did...

Reactions: redwine65
YES.
I am a hospice chaplain and work in large upscale nursing homes bringing comfort to dying patients. Most facilities now disallow families on campus. Therefore I have been trying to fill the gap. Imagine family being separated during these last precious moments!? As we hear from the constant Coronavirus updates, this is the most at risk segment of our population. On the other side, my wife is a teacher who is at home on paid leave since the schools in our area of Pennsylvania are closed. She is enjoying time slowing down. Stay safe.
I don’t know how you can do that, but your an angel I know the hospice lady that saw my dad the last month of his life was superb. I don’t know how they can deal with people without becoming to close. It has to be hard.

Not me, personally. But a coworker was scheduled to fly to Italy this week. It was a vacation he and his wife had been dreaming about for like 20 years. His travel insurance didn't specifically cover virus outbreaks, so they had spent hours on the phone and weren't sure they were going to get refunds or not. He was actually taking it better than I would have, maybe he was still in shock.

I did that trip 25 years ago. It was called the Navy. :cool:

My honeymoon is scheduled for april 5-15th in the Dominican republic. Crossing my fingers because our travel insurance doesnt cover this shit as of right now and we'd be losing just over 3 grand!

So wife and daughter along with father in-law originally were to leave for Italy last Saturday. So went through process to cancel that 2 weeks ago and rebooked a family trip to Phoenix to leave the 18th. Now we have canceled that. Hopeful that airlines provide voucher for original Italy trip, otherwise out $2k. Lovely.

My honeymoon is scheduled for april 5-15th in the Dominican republic. Crossing my fingers because our travel insurance doesnt cover this shit as of right now and we'd be losing just over 3 grand!
I venture to say you can get a refund or be able to reschedule for a different day

I was going to Vegas for a Bro-cation for the tourney. Been planing it all year. Went to a convention in Vegas last year during the first day of the tourney last year and texted my friends “we are coming here next year for the tourney”. We always talk about doing crap like that but it never works out. Kids, wife, parents, work, or whatever the case, there’s always a reason for it not to work. This year was magical. We all booked and it all fell into place. We kept texting eachother throughout the year “can’t believe this is going to happen”, last Wednesday we were all working out final small details and next thing we know, it’s gone. We can’t go.

I did get my flight refunded and it appears my “no refundable” hotel is actually going to be refunded.

what was the absolute worse place you took shore leave at?

Naples.

Had duty the day we pulled in.

My birthday.

I had a midnight watch on the fantail with an M14 and a walkie talkie to talk to the quarterdeck.

My watch was from 2330-0330. The whole time I kept thinking of the USS Cole bombing in Yemen. I didn't want to be the one who let something get by. My blind eyes kept watch all night for those terrorists.

The next (and last) day of liberty was Sunday and I'm tired. Naples was a working port (this time) and I had to work. We didn't get off until 1530 (3:30pm). I took a bus to NAS Naples, the local US Naval Base for the Sixth Fleet, just to have a few beers for my birthday before we shipped out of port. I was there for two hours. 4-6 local time. They were playing Hotel California. It was Sunday and the place was closing. Then I find out we missed the last bus back to the ship.

Me and my buddy started walking. We're trying to remember the route back to the ship. We have a midnight curfew. My buddy (you have to have a buddy when you are on liberty) is a mop headed ginger with a handlebar mustache. He's one of those guys that acts out Rocky Horror Picture Show at the movie theater. He's wearing a leather jacket. He's a fireman that works down in the engine room. I'm a skinny jean jacket wearing glasses admin.

Naples is one of the most dangerous places in the Med. We had this video warning us not to go to certain areas.

I thought "Let's go back to the USO." I think I remember where that was. It was back through the tunnel in the mountain. Great...

We're turned this corner from one road to another and there were these cars lined up on the side of the road. The driver's door is open and a ladies leg dangles out. This is supposed to be a sign of prostitution. Or so our pre-liberty video warned us. About four of them. The thing is they look like ladies, but the video says a lot of them are men.

We're walking towards the tunnel and these Italians in a van of some sorts pulls over and asks if we want a ride. I say we need to get to the USO. He says he wants $5 for gas money. I'm not sure if I should trust this stranger. I do not speak Italian. I know some Spanish. We go through this long tunnel. I guess that's a good investment. We stopped at some "petrol" station and he gets $5 worth of gas. We did get to our destination. Trouble is USO is closed as well and we are now five miles from the ship. We didn't know this at the time.

I'm walking through the worst neighborhood that the pre liberty video warned me about. I'm going into strange restaurants and asking if they know where my ship is at. I'm saying, "Porto! Porto!" as I pantomime. They kept saying they didn't speak English.

So, we trudge on. I'm hoping me feeble mind can remember where to go to next. I am now smoking my buddy's cigarettes. Trying to look tough. I'm 26, but I look 17.

We walk over the railroad tracks. Something is going on in the dark. I'm guessing sexual trade. We push on. Finally, I recognize the pier. We get back and it's 2330. We walk up the brow to the quarterdeck, salute the OOD (Officer of the Deck) and request permission to come aboard. What a crappy birthday. However, it did have a lot of cool backstories!

Last edited:
Naples.

Had duty the day we pulled in.

My birthday.

I had a midnight watch on the fantail with an M14 and a walkie talkie to talk to the quarterdeck.

My watch was from 2330-0330. The whole time I kept thinking of the USS Cole bombing in Yemen. I didn't want to be the one who let something get by. My blind eyes kept watch all night for those terrorists.

The next (and last) day of liberty was Sunday and I'm tired. And I had to work. We didn't get off until 1530 (3:30pm). I took a bus to NAS Naples, the local US Naval Base for the Sixth Fleet, just to have a few beers for my birthday before we shipped out of port. I was there for two hours. 4-6 local time. They were playing Hotel California. It was Sunday and the place was closing. Then I find out we missed the last bus back to the ship.

Me and my buddy started walking. We're trying to remember the route back to the ship. We have a midnight curfew. My buddy (you have to have a buddy when you are on liberty) is a mop headed ginger with a handlebar mustache. He's one of those guys that acts out Rocky Horror Picture Show at the movie theater. He's wearing a leather jacket. He's a fireman that works down in the engine room. I'm a skinny jean jacket wearing glasses admin.

Naples is one of the most dangerous places in the Med. We had this video warning us not to go to certain areas.

I thought "Let's go back to the USO." I think I remember where that was. It was back through the tunnel in the mountain. Great...

We're turned this corner from one road to another and there were these cars lined up on the side of the road. The driver's door is open and a ladies leg dangles out. This is supposed to be a sign of prostitution. Or so our pre-liberty video warned us. About four of them. The thing is they look like ladies, but the video says a lot of them are men.

We're walking towards the tunnel and these Italians in a van of some sorts pulls over and asks if we want a ride. I say we need to get to the USO. He says he wants $5 for gas money. I'm not sure if I should trust this stranger. I do not speak Italian. I know some Spanish. We go through this long tunnel. I guess that's a good investment. We stopped at some "petrol" station and he gets $5 worth of gas. We did get to our destination. Trouble is USO is closed as well and we are now five miles from the ship. We didn't know this at the time.

I'm walking through the worst neighborhood that the pre liberty video warned me about. I'm going into strange restaurants and asking if they know where my ship is at. I'm saying, "Porto! Porto!" as I pantomime. They kept saying they didn't speak English.

So, we trudge on. I'm hoping me feeble mind can remember where to next. I am now smoking my buddy's cigarettes. Trying to look tough. I'm 26, but I look 17.

We walk over the railroad tracks. Something is going on in the dark. I'm guessing sexual trade. We push on. Finally, I recognize the pier. We get back and it's 2330. We walk up the brow to the quarterdeck, salute the OOD (Officer of the Deck) and request permission to come aboard. What a crappy birthday. However, it did have a lot of cool backstories!
Thanks it was a great story, do you still keep in touch with your buddy?

Thanks it was a great story, do you still keep in touch with your buddy?

I wish. Although I was in Personnel, many times I just knew them by their nickname or last name. No one called me by my first name. Nope. It was my last name shortened. i do keep in touch with my Chief (Petty Officer). She retired a Commander. I still call her Chief.

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT