ADVERTISEMENT

Walk-On Alert

So how does preferred walk-on work? Is there a limit per class? Or it’s up to the coaches discretion?

I believe it means you are guaranteed a spot on the team

Obviously does not count against scholarship numbers but does count in title IX numbers with regards to participation

Last edited:
Reactions: newAD
I believe “preferred” is the term they use to dupe guys with full rides elsewhere into paying their own way at Nebraska. One of life’s truisms is that 18yo’s are incapable of appreciating how much student loans suck. Hopefully their parents are paying.

Also, I believe preferred walk-ons are guaranteed a spot on the 105 in fall camp and a spot on the team. They still have to earn a scholarship like any walk-on though. There's no limit other than how many lockers you have, space, title 9 limitations? and how big a roster coaches are willing to handle.

Last edited:
Yeah there are a couple of our walk on class that definitely won't be around very long but bodies are never a bad thing

I believe “preferred” is the term they use to dupe guys with full rides elsewhere into paying their own way at Nebraska. One of life’s truisms is that 18yo’s are incapable of appreciating how much student loans suck. Hopefully their parents are paying.
WRONG!!!! Who are you trying to dupe?

Also, I believe preferred walk-ons are guaranteed a spot on the 105 in fall camp and a spot on the team. They still have to earn a scholarship like any walk-on though. There's no limit other than how many locker space you have, title 9 limitations? and how much coaches are willing to handle.
We've had some really good players walk on over the past 10 years. Several of them made NFL rosters.

Preferred walk on is assured of being on the team and gets all the training benefits of the scholarship guys but no school funding.

Reactions: CatColumbia
So will we have a roster of 150 +, they can't seem to get a good practice or coaching with 44. I really believe we have too many players at our "best practice".

ADVERTISEMENT