ADVERTISEMENT

Vomiting in Practice

Nothing to be outraged over… But agree it’s a bit ridiculous. Kind of just roll my eyes at 50% of his comments at this point. Reminds me of the high school friend that everyone knew was FOS every time he talked.

Started with the “no squatting” during the Riley years, which multiple players said was BS, continued with the culture comments over the last few years. Now he’s found his next scapegoat in Greg Austin. 15-20 pukes a day would mean every single player is puking every practice, and some of them twice. For a month straight. Players would say F this, I’m out of that we’re the case.

I am sure the guys are working hard, and I’m excited to see how they look with the new schemes. We’ve been hearing HCSF say “we’re gonna out lift/work the league” for the last 4 years, followed by 3 win seasons, so it doesn’t really mean much to me.
Yep!

Just like anytime someone brings up working out...all of a sudden everyone on the site benches 315 and squats 500.

Reactions: TheWayITellEm
I don't find it either good or bad. I do though find it humorous that the head coach has to brag about puking to impress the fans. C'mon, really can't he find something more substantive to talk about on his radio show.
Can you imagine his interviews if he ever becomes anything more than a 34% winning coach at NU?

Lucky for Frost, I'm a NU fan which is so much more important than him. Otherwise, he's a hard guy to root for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
So Scott Frost has stated publicly, almost as if he is bragging about it, that he estimates that there are 15-20 instances per practice of offensive lineman vomiting. He says the players are in shape but that they are just being worked that hard by Raiola.

Sorry coach but this is not something to brag on. It is shameful and the fact that Frost cannot see it as shameful is, sadly, one more indication that he is not fit to be a head coach. He is not fit to be a head coach for allowing this to happen in the first place. And he is not fit to be a head coach since his "better judgement" told him this was something that it was okay to brag about publicly. It shows he is clueless and arrogant. Still. After four years of clueless arrogance.

If we end up having a break out season I will be thrilled. Dancing in the aisles and kicking up my heels. But even if we do, I will still feel disgust in my stomach that this overgrown child is still our head coach.
Pennsy, let me float this by you and the others, see if it makes any sense.

First of all, when you have athletes competing at a high level, its important to test their ability to work, and work hard.

I doubt many of us on this forum are surprised at the amount of vomiting, as Frost said, it amounts to about once per player.

THEORY: Through last season, by some accounts, Frost and Austin did not see eye to eye regarding techniques the OL used and were being taught. Frost, likely was more "pro aggressive" and Austin was more "pro patty cake."

If and when Frost decided to fire Austin and hire a new OL coach, it's possible that interview process spelled out that the now fired OL coach did not have the kids reach full potential in either physical or technique areas. It is "possible" Frost said who ever gets hired will be expected to "work the piss out of them" and be way more aggressive.

So, IF, and this whole post is about me speculating, so it's just an opinion. So, the numbers have shown SOME of these OLmen have doubled their last years physical performance. Depending on the metrics Frost was using, it would bear out that Austin ran a pretty loose ship.

We all know, athletes don't make large increases unless they are really physically stressed. And it looks like that is exactly what Raiola has been doing. In athletics, there is what's known as supercompensation.

IF, as the RUMOR flowed yesterday, there was in fact a shouting match between Frost and Raiola, could it be that one or the other reached the point of saying this is too much, we can't push these kids any harder? I don't know if anything like that occurred.

Spreading this rumor even farther, maybe word got back to Trev about players loving it or hating it, and Trev taking an opposite opinion. Again, pure speculation on my part. If an exchange happened between Frost and Trev, or Raiola and Trev, and his support or disapproval spurred the exchange?

In the event, Frost came down on Raiola for working these kids too hard in drills they were less effective when moving to the practice field, its possible Raiola reminded Frost of what he was expected to do when he was hired. None of us know, I certainly don't know.

We probably won't get the entire truth of what happened, but if it comes down to he said/he said, I'm gonna side with Raiola as I feel Frost is not a trustworthy person, his character has borne that out for a lot of years. But a blow out among the head coach and position coach 10 days away from the opener, is not a good look.

Feel free to agree or disagree. This is nothing more than a post of speculation.
Oh my another snow flake is offended. Go away

Reactions: SOHusker11
Stupid comment. Zero f*cks given.

Really anticipating the "Our kids have been hitting each other for too long, and getting tired of it. Time for us to play somebody.", comment which undoubtedly comes out next week.

Just beat shit ass worthless Northwestern.
Key phrase the entire 2021 season was, "we're close." In 2022, "avpp. Average vomit per player."

Frost is so dialed into vomit rate, the OL data analyst created a vomit spreadsheet to target slackers.

I saw guys vomit in the military, usually it was on a morning run, most of whom had drank a lot the night before. Out of a company of 100 guys, maybe 1 or 2 vomits, but it was just a morning run.

In basic training, I saw a guy vomit, maybe twice, in the entire 8 weeks, similar number of guys.

If the guys are in shape and vomiting, that doesn't sound right to me.

So either Frost is lying, fibbing, joking, making things more grandiose, whatever.. Or they are riding the border line on abuse.

I'm inclined to think Frost is just embellishing things with bullshit.

Regardless, the man is a disgrace for what he has done to the program the prior 4 years, and regardless what happens this year, I hope they send him packing.

I saw guys vomit in the military, usually it was on a morning run, most of whom had drank a lot the night before. Out of a company of 100 guys, maybe 1 or 2 vomits, but it was just a morning run.

In basic training, I saw a guy vomit, maybe twice, in the entire 8 weeks, similar number of guys.

If the guys are in shape and vomiting, that doesn't sound right to me.

So either Frost is lying, fibbing, joking, making things more grandiose, whatever.. Or they are riding the border line on abuse.

I'm inclined to think Frost is just embellishing things with bullshit.

Regardless, the man is a disgrace for what he has done to the program the prior 4 years, and regardless what happens this year, I hope they send him packing.
I think this outrage is completely laughable. People grasping at straws just to bitch and moan.

Rob Zatechka weighs in

“If it is true, this represents multiple tiers of failure..”

“I don’t recall anyone ever puking. Like, never, ever.”

Thank you. I feel a bit vindicated now after all of the negative comments directed my way about being a drama queen or a snowflake.

Thank you. I feel a bit vindicated now after all of the negative comments directed my way about being a drama queen or a snowflake.
We know your far from even being close to a snowflake..

After watching some of interview makes me wonder if he was joking about all the vomiting..

Apparently majority of the fan base took it pretty seriously..

Frost has foot in mouth disease, similar to Bo going psycho after the officials frost can’t help but step in it with stupid shit he says! Both are very immature

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Angry Jim Henson GIF by Muppet Wiki

Hyperbole Hyperbole Hyperbole!!!

We know your far from even being close to a snowflake..

After watching some of interview makes me wonder if he was joking about all the vomiting..

Apparently majority of the fan base took it pretty seriously..
I don’t really know how I took it, the problem I see when you have a four loosing seasons everything he says is under a microscope. If he had a winning record this would have been just brushed off and forgotten about. one of the pluses for having a losing program is there are arrows pointed at him from all directions

In the event, Frost came down on Raiola for working these kids too hard in drills they were less effective when moving to the practice field,
That part of Frost's statement was telling to me. Players being a little too tired for 11 on 11 is a concern if you are an OC. From a position coach's perspective, the drill work is what makes kids fundamentally better. Frost's NU has been all about the 11 on 11 up to this point. I think that's obvious. With one conference win last year, maybe toughness and fundamentals should get more emphasis at some point?

Reactions: jkeb and headcard
I don’t really know how I took it, the problem I see when you have a four loosing seasons everything he says is under a microscope. If he had a winning record this would have been just brushed off and forgotten about. one of the pluses for having a losing program is there are arrows pointed at him from all directions
You have a point..

This thread shows where we are at as a program and in fandom land. Very entertaining but questionable on the substance.

This thread shows where we are at as a program and in fandom land. Very entertaining but questionable on the substance.
Tru, I'm not confortable ending this "vomit" thread without publishing medically suggested prevention methods:

Refer to local guidelines: "Always try to identify and treat any underlying causes of nausea and vomiting. Check that the most appropriate anti-emetic has been prescribed for the probable cause and is given by the most appropriate route. If nausea and vomiting persist reassess and reconsider the possible causes and treat appropriately."

"Three recommended treatment methods include:

1. Antiemetics or anti-nausea medicine;
2. Medicine for an underlying condition;
3. Exceed 34% win percentage.

Vomit or no vomit. I really don't care anymore. They are doing "twice the work" and now they are vomitting. Hey, just let me know when they are doing twice as much next year and not vomiting cause that's what the rest of the college football world is doing. In the mean time, just STFU.

• Love
Reactions: BC Hawk
I played. Larry Frost was my coach. I puked once in a practice. Yes, it happens. I am not naive. But in this day and age of “woke” pussy culture as a head coach you have to be savvy about what kinds of “good ol’ boys” shenanigans you can get away with and those you can’t. This is a day and age where some pundits are even saying football should be abolished due to brain injuries. A day and age of surreptitious cell phone recordings and trigger warnings if your bulge is too evident at the company picnic. The days are long gone when you can just line the practice or weight area with puke buckets and then have at it. My deepest concern therefore isn’t that guys are puking here and there. My concern is that Frost is too arrogant and incompetent to know that you just don’t brag about shit like this publicly anymore.

...and I say we need to quit bowing down to this woke culture. Bowing down to it is how we as a nation got in the predicament we're in. I remember when airman came out of basic training talking about timeout cards and airman abuse when told to clean the latrine. All I could do was laugh at them. 20 some years later I question whether I could tolerate today's military if I had to go back in and play patty cake all day.

...and I say we need to quit bowing down to this woke culture. Bowing down to it is how we as a nation got in the predicament we're in. I remember when airman came out of basic training talking about timeout cards and airman abuse when told to clean the latrine. All I could do was laugh at them. 20 some years later I question whether I could tolerate today's military if I had to go back in and play patty cake all day.
Correct. I was in basic training 1971, I watched a video on current training and standards and it has become a total joke.

ADVERTISEMENT