ADVERTISEMENT

Virtual Classes in the fall

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
So I see that USC just announced they are going virtual I wonder if harder hit areas will follow. Its a tough ask to get kids on campus when the general non-revenue generating student body isnt being allowed back
https://sports.yahoo.com/as-covid-1...e-courses-online-this-semester-051839357.html

This probably doesnt need its own thread but I honestly didnt know where to start as far as placing this in a spot that might generate conversation

So I see that USC just announced they are going virtual I wonder if harder hit areas will follow. Its a tough ask to get kids on campus when the general non-revenue generating student body isnt being allowed back
https://sports.yahoo.com/as-covid-1...e-courses-online-this-semester-051839357.html

This probably doesnt need its own thread but I honestly didnt know where to start as far as placing this in a spot that might generate conversation
you're the 3rd person to post this

they're not going entirely virtual, and they're allowing students, athletes included, on campus

Reactions: leodisflowers

Neighbor kid says same thing is happening at San Diego State.

It'll be interesting to see which schools reverse course ahead of time, and which just rather send kids home in September/October or whatever if needed.

Be interesting to do an over/under. I don't have a specific number in mind myself, probably not most, but a substantial number. Maybe a significant number is a better way to put it.

Reactions: rrthusker
The curious thing so far is the college/K-12 divide. A good number of schools this fall, even in areas less hard hit, are putting out K-12 plans where kids are only in school some portion of the time (say 40% to half). Whereas many college initially bid the "hybrid model" and will walk back from there it seems.

The curious thing so far is the college/K-12 divide. A good number of schools this fall, even in areas less hard hit, are putting out K-12 plans where kids are only in school some portion of the time (say 40% to half). Whereas many college initially bid the "hybrid model" and will walk back from there it seems.
I like the hybrid plan for K-12 schools (OPS is doing this model) because it seems to be something that is more sustainable than saying 100% attendance. The thing everyone wants to avoid is going full out remote learning again. I think it's great that each school is making their own decision. Parents want their kids out of the house. I get that. But it's better to have them out of the house half of the time all year long, than to have them in school 100% for a short while and then home for weeks or months.

However there are a number of schools with declining enrollment that may be able to bring in all students and spread them out safely. It's smart to let each district decide. But other districts are jamming three kids to a seat on buses and have 25-30+ kids in a small classroom. I don't see how they can make that work unless they don't mind teachers testing positive and than having to decide between closing the building or stay open (and good luck finding decent sub teachers during a pandemic). I wonder if a packing plant is safer to work in at this point than a public school with 500-600 in one building?

Last edited:
Hearing the same thing in SEC land. Have a cousin that goes to Alabama and was told that 4 of her 6 classes this fall are already scheduled as virtual. Some classes will be easier to do than others obviously. But I get it. Cut down on the exposure if/when possible.

you are closer to this than I but UCLA appears to be doing this as well - have a neighbor that is going to UCLA (lives several states away) that was given on campus housing - while many California residents are not being given housing and told they will need to commute or go entirely virtual. UCLA appears to be favoring the higher out of state tuition kids and many california tax payers are pissed that their kids are being told they need to commute

It will be interesting to see how this affects some fields with licensure requirements. When I was in school my Masters in counseling, at least in Illinois they only allowed a certain number of your credits to be remote (video courses, online, etc.), most of them HAD to be in person to be eligible for licensure. Don't know if they changed that because I never did end up in the field, but if they haven't the state may need to rethink it.

I just retired from education and am friends with our superintendent. Schools are in a precarious position. When given a choice of full on-line, in person or a hybrid, this district, and I agree with the thinking did all planning on a total on-line model. The reason at the time, and it is still valid, is that the only method you can count on is on-line. The others may be restricted or forbidden all together.

You plan for full on-line, you already have plans for in person and you can adapt to a hybrid is this districts plan. It makes sense in planning for the best and worse cases.

Interestingly, I was hearing or reading, can't remember which, that there are very few cases of the virus being transmitted from young kids to adults. Not sure what "young" is but the numbers were almost nonexistent.

Online College is a last resort. It doesn't work. Students don't learn as much, aren't motivated, and have zero social interaction. Phoenix Online BS BS BS.

I think that is generally agreed on but if someone in some state or school decides to close things down, the school would not have any choice. Teachers, in general, would rather teach in person, but schools/teachers better plan for the worst case scenario and can easily adapt to the standard method of face to face or some combination.

Reactions: dinglefritz
you are closer to this than I but UCLA appears to be doing this as well - have a neighbor that is going to UCLA (lives several states away) that was given on campus housing - while many California residents are not being given housing and told they will need to commute or go entirely virtual. UCLA appears to be favoring the higher out of state tuition kids and many california tax payers are pissed that their kids are being told they need to commute

Nothing the powers that be here in California do should surprise anyone.

I start a week of classes next week to learn our online systems for my college. (Yes, I get paidRollingLaugh) We have three models: hybrid, asynchronous online and synchronous online. My teaching will be asynchronous which means students can do their work anytime — the traditional online method, I suppose. But obviously some college kids — and probably most k-12 kids — need on campus, live teaching. But given my cancer, high BP and asthma I am glad that I have the online option. Otherwise I would opt for a year off. Tough choices for everyone!

I start a week of classes next week to learn our online systems for my college. (Yes, I get paidRollingLaugh) We have three models: hybrid, asynchronous online and synchronous online. My teaching will be asynchronous which means students can do their work anytime — the traditional online method, I suppose. But obviously some college kids — and probably most k-12 kids — need on campus, live teaching. But given my cancer, high BP and asthma I am glad that I have the online option. Otherwise I would opt for a year off. Tough choices for everyone!
Wishing you all the best in treatment and recovery, amigo!

Reactions: bigboxes
I just retired from education and am friends with our superintendent. Schools are in a precarious position. When given a choice of full on-line, in person or a hybrid, this district, and I agree with the thinking did all planning on a total on-line model. The reason at the time, and it is still valid, is that the only method you can count on is on-line. The others may be restricted or forbidden all together.

You plan for full on-line, you already have plans for in person and you can adapt to a hybrid is this districts plan. It makes sense in planning for the best and worse cases.

Interestingly, I was hearing or reading, can't remember which, that there are very few cases of the virus being transmitted from young kids to adults. Not sure what "young" is but the numbers were almost nonexistent.
There are some uncertainties about transmission and there can be a lot of variability of how much virus if any an infected individual person might be shedding. People want set absolutes for disease entities and sometimes that isn't so simple.

Slightly off topic but can I get a show of hands from working parents with kids in school who support online learning? Anyone? Yeah, thats what i thought.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I'm expecting lawsuits galore. Can't pay taxes for schools that aren't willing to operate and no, online learning is not operating.

I'm expecting lawsuits galore. Can't pay taxes for schools that aren't willing to operate and no, online learning is not operating.

Yep. Our experience from last year was that it is better than nothing, but just barely.

Slightly off topic but can I get a show of hands from working parents with kids in school who support online learning? Anyone? Yeah, thats what i thought.
Online school is a joke. Wife did it for college and the kids did it for middle and high school last spring. Then what about pre-schoolers, kindergartners.... we'll have entire graduating classes behind everyone else. It's all ridiculous.

my wife is a teacher in Indonesia.. she just found out that classes for the first semester will be done online. I think this affects pre-school through high school.

she told me that the military and police were going to start patrolling the neighborhoods to enforce wearing masks.. the people there are like the people here, they are tired of the covid stuff.

I know this has no bearing on things here, but found it interesting to pass on. Indonesia has a similar population size as the US, but way fewer covid cases.

Thought this was funny
EcdL2fBVcAAgJEL

my wife is a teacher in Indonesia.. she just found out that classes for the first semester will be done online. I think this affects pre-school through high school.

she told me that the military and police were going to start patrolling the neighborhoods to enforce wearing masks.. the people there are like the people here, they are tired of the covid stuff.

I know this has no bearing on things here, but found it interesting to pass on. Indonesia has a similar population size as the US, but way fewer covid cases.

For whatever reason Americans do not like laws being enforced. Whether it’s masks or being pulled over for being drunk or threatening others when disagreements on politics. Then blame those that are to enforce them vs those making laws. I just think Americans on average are dumber than most countries. I love this country but it has a lot of dumb sheep.

Last edited:
For whatever reason Americans do not like laws being enforced. Whether it’s masks or being pulled over for being drunk or threatening others when disagreements on politics. Then blame those that are to enforce them bs those making laws. I just think Americans on average are dumber than most countries. I love this country but it has a lot of dumb sheep.

We don't like being told we have to stay home and small biz gets it up the ass while large corps get to stay open and squash the little guy...and if we do go out wear a mask...while we watch riots and protests and arsonists get away without obeying those reccomenations and even being supported by some elected leaders. Where are you getting lost?

Reactions: BadgerGrove
We don't like being told we have to stay home and small biz gets it up the ass while large corps get to stay open and squash the little guy...and if we do go out wear a mask...while we watch riots and protests and arsonists get away without obeying those reccomenations and even being supported by some elected leaders. Where are you getting lost?
true.. it's become so political and others looking for ways to take out the competition.. it's like a 3 way boxing match, and just about the time you smile for dodging a right hook, you get hit with an unexpected uppercut from the referee

I get lost ppl taking their beliefs out on police. If the rule is wrong don’t blame the enforcer blame the rule maker. Whether masks or dui or stealing shoes. I am close to this one due to the shit my son as a police officer goes thru and tired of seeing ppl treat him like shit and believe they are entitled to do so because of their Twitter political bs. Just tired of idiots

Reactions: NikkiSixx

yes it frequently comes back to “what about the riotersl” It amazes me that people will pick what they believe is unacceptable behavior but because someone else did this or that it suddenly becomes the benchmark for them.

Classic whataboutism - right out the playbook

tumblr_pwgzza68Si1qkvbwso1_500.png

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
For whatever reason Americans do not like laws being enforced. Whether it’s masks or being pulled over for being drunk or threatening others when disagreements on politics. Then blame those that are to enforce them vs those making laws. I just think Americans on average are dumber than most countries. I love this country but it has a lot of dumb sheep.

Most Americans just want laws enforced equally. Either require everyone to stay home and social distance, or nobody. Don't tell people they must close their businesses and lose their jobs if it saves one Grandma's life, and then say it is okay for thousands to gather together in crowded streets if they want to chant "defund the police" and dance to awful songs from 2007.

Last edited:
yes it frequently comes back to “what about the riotersl” It amazes me that people will pick what they believe is unacceptable behavior but because someone else did this or that it suddenly becomes the benchmark for them.

Classic whataboutism - right out the playbook
That's true of both political parties. As long as your loyal voters can be distracted by actions (actual or exaggerated) by the other side, politicians don't have to be accountable for anything. And the people who fall for that crap, emulate a dog chasing it's owners stick.

That's true of both political parties. As long as your loyal voters can be distracted by actions (actual or exaggerated) by the other side, politicians don't have to be accountable for anything. And the people who fall for that crap, emulate a dog chasing it's owners stick.

The rioters was just one of many double standards, but it was easily one of the worst, and as such we're never going to forget about it and we'll never stop pointing it out.

ADVERTISEMENT