ADVERTISEMENT

(Very OT) Baby Vaccinations

I can certainly understand why someone would want their child vax for life threatening illness for something like chicken pox, but are all these vax really necessary.

One of the most noticeable changes we have seen in this country is the chronic health issues of children, I know there are many factors that play a part, I don't think this can all be because of being less active, growing up in the 60s 70s and 80 you rarely saw overweight kids it was basically impossible to get extra weight put on even if you stayed inside all winter,now you see overweight kids all the time, you see kids getting serious illnesses that adults only use to get. Kids health issues are way up across the board, asthma, ADD, poor eyesight odc, all sorts of behavioral issues, diabetes the list goes on and on, this is all new to me, this wasn't around at any time I was growing up. I never got all these vax or did my age group we didn't have these health issues, makes you wonder with this big move to all these vaxs and the subsequent decline in younger peoples health what part big or small these vaxs play.

So just looking at the overall health of people under about 30 to 35, I wouldn't say that vaxs are harmless or totally effective, because people as a group who grew up with these vax sure are not doing well overll health wise for the age their at.

Merely stating an observation , not here to ridiculed with some immature comments to discredit what Im making as an observation, I welcome other people views for or against me.

Also interested in what people think is most important vaxs if one wants to limit exposure overall.

I think I see what you are saying jimyc, but what you are describing addresses issues that are primarily unrelated to vaccinated diseases. The lack of exercise has nothing to do with polio or measles or other vaccinated diseases.

Multiple years of classroom and real world study understanding statistics, epidemiology, and the biological reactions of vaccines. And I use it every day in dealing with animal health.

I don't understand all of the concepts in finance and accounting, so I yield to study it and understand it and practice it. What gives you the hutzpah to be an expert in all fields? Should I start a thread on banks and tell you you don't know what the hell you're talking about?

Originally posted by swansonpancho:
Multiple years of classroom and real world study understanding statistics, epidemiology, and the biological reactions of vaccines. And I use it every day in dealing with animal health.

I don't understand all of the concepts in finance and accounting, so I yield to study it and understand it and practice it. What gives you the hutzpah to be an expert in all fields? Should I start a thread on banks and tell you you don't know what the hell you're talking about?
Part of the issue might be that a finance guy may see every decision as based on profit vs. loss. So he may buy into the idea that the big companies push vaccines because they make the companies money, and more money if they get more people vaccinated. Or I guess he could be part of the "natural cures they don't want us to know about" crowd, but he seems smarter than that.

But it ignores the fact that vaccines are not a great way to make money for drug companies. First, they are cheap. Secondly they prevent disease, so decreasing the sales of other medicines when people get sick, because they are not vaccinated.

From the perspective of national health agencies, behind clean water (which is much more difficult to provide) vaccinations are a great buy in terms of cost per life saved/cost per illness avoided. That is why though there are a lot of things people in third world countries don't get, they usually get vaccinations.

The only reason we get away with folks in this country not getting vaccinated, is because they are protected by the majority that do get vaccinated. Because there aren't enough targets for the viruses/bugs to spread to, and maintain active in the population. So, unless you go to Disneyland which a bunch of other folks that don't get vaccinated because they are in one of laxest states for inducing kids to get vaccinated, you will likely be fine.

Please vaccinate your children against very preventable diseases. It's sad that there is so much bizarre misinformation floating around.

This thread is great. 126 replies and mostly by the whiners who complain about Husker topics they don't like because of their butthurt. Then when someone brings up a Husker event it gets less than 10 replies. Freaking hypocrites.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
This thread is great. 126 replies and mostly by the whiners who complain about Husker topics they don't like because of their butthurt. Then when someone brings up a Husker event it gets less than 10 replies. Freaking hypocrites.

Shocking that our children's health should get more attention than a husker event!!!!!

Does everything have to be a fight with you? You remind me of a former coach of ours......

I was fighting? Someone has his jump to conclusions mat out. Fitting since you are one of the biggest blo-ner whining fans here. You don't have to be offended, it was a factual post.

Originally posted by 4.6.3:
I was fighting? Someone has his jump to conclusions mat out. Fitting since you are one of the biggest blo-ner whining fans here. You don't have to be offended, it was a factual post.
While I disagree with about 99% of what nufaninouland says, I'll have to agree with him on this one. You throwing out words like butthurt and hypocrites is anything but bringing something constructive to this thread. Just unnecessarily being rude.

On the issue of childhood obesity, where would you rank vaccinations among other contributing factors that weren't in play years ago, such as countless hours spent in front of a screen or staring at a smartphone, being dropped off three feet from the front door at every destination kids go to, and over-the-top food portions?

Fair enough if you think vaccinations are making kids fat. But to me that seems like yet another "my kid can't possibly be fat because of anything I'm doing" rationalization.

Remember this thread next time somebody whines about this board not having any Husker talk. Especially a person like I pointer out. She has no problem trashing this place on other boards, while never contributing to the numerous threads on page 1 that they claim are never here. This thread has no place here anyway. Want to tell me what Husker topics are acceptable to talk about because you're butthurt about Blo? I will for damn sure point out this thread.

really need to find a new way to insult people ....you sound like a 12 year old girl living in 2011 using the word butthurt...which is exactly the last time it was used

What should I use for a bunch of grown men who feel the need to be offended by a Husker Sports-related topic on a Husker message board? What new PC thing do we need to label the whiners as? Posterior-related feelings soreness?

It does not help your position when you use the terms you do, call a he a she apparently as an insult, and otherwise go completely personal, negative, and borderline berserk at any challenge. It makes you come across like someone who lets their little head rule their big head. Or like someone who couldn't count to 3 if he/she was given 1, 2 and a head start.

What just happened?

This thread is fine - and some important myth debunking going on here as well. Can we split the recent posts into a separate thread for whomever is interested in that fight?

Originally posted by siegsker:
What just happened?

This thread is fine - and some important myth debunking going on here as well. Can we split the recent posts into a separate thread for whomever is interested in that fight?
You are right. There are important issues coming up here. Got distracted. Sorry.

If you read thru my posts I never mentioned what side I was on as far as vaccines, thats one of those things where your not going to change anyones opinions one way or the other.
My points were clear and were made in response to a poster who was hijacking the thread telling people that they had no right to their own opinion or to do their own research. Then you got the childish posts that try to use ridicule to intimidate people from posting an opposing opinions/thought, while offering zero substance.
1. That experts are not infallible (my experience with my mercury fillings), and how experts can and do manipulate data.
2. That if its important to you, you should do your own research to get comfortable with what your being told.
3. That all people have a right to their own opinion.

I would say some things, such as religion and politics, you can't change some people's opinion and that's fine.

This is something where everybody can become informed, and misconceptions can be corrected. I would encourage everyone to go get their own doctorate in immunology if they want to do their own research. You can find bunk on the internet in support of anything, so please don't confuse "Googling" with research. There's plenty of bunk written about everything.

Originally posted by huskerfan1000:
If you read thru my posts I never mentioned what side I was on as far as vaccines, thats one of those things where your not going to change anyones opinions one way or the other.
My points were clear and were made in response to a poster who was hijacking the thread telling people that they had no right to their own opinion or to do their own research. Then you got the childish posts that try to use ridicule to intimidate people from posting an opposing opinions/thought, while offering zero substance.
1. That experts are not infallible (my experience with my mercury fillings), and how experts can and do manipulate data.
2. That if its important to you, you should do your own research to get comfortable with what your being told.
I agree with your general sentiment, the problem, and it's a tricky one, is that some things are so firmly established that dissenting from them is not brave iconoclasm, it's just wrong. If we were talking about history and someone wanted to challenge the prevailing thesis about the role of Jacobin ideology in the Terror, that would be a perfectly valid and interesting debate based on the evidence presented. But, if someone were to deny the Holocaust based on something they read on a fringe website no sensible person would argue that Holocaust denial is a valid historical perspective worth engaging. There are plenty of questionable common medical practices (much of the Low-T therapy industry is a racket), and it is certainly the case that a small portion of the population reacts badly to vaccinations, some probably in ways the medical community hasn't recognized yet, but vaccines do not cause autism and a kid has a better chance of being injured in the car on the way to get a vaccine than they do to suffer a serious reaction to the vaccine. If someone is genuinely concerned that the prevailing opinion is wrong, then by all means they should research it. But, they should carefully evaluate their sources, and if and when their research starts to involve things they don't understand, they need to acquire the necessary expertise to fully understand all sides of the issue if they want to be taken seriously. One is entitled to their opinion, but if that opinion is based on falsehood and the works of cranks, they shouldn't expect others to respect their opinion. And, when their opinion can lead them to endanger innocent people, it's understandable that others will be upset about it.

Originally posted by mothmonsterman:

I agree with your general sentiment, the problem, and it's a tricky one, is that some things are so firmly established that dissenting from them is not brave iconoclasm, it's just wrong. If we were talking about history and someone wanted to challenge the prevailing thesis about the role of Jacobin ideology in the Terror, that would be a perfectly valid and interesting debate based on the evidence presented. But, if someone were to deny the Holocaust based on something they read on a fringe website no sensible person would argue that Holocaust denial is a valid historical perspective worth engaging. There are plenty of questionable common medical practices (much of the Low-T therapy industry is a racket), and it is certainly the case that a small portion of the population reacts badly to vaccinations, some probably in ways the medical community hasn't recognized yet, but vaccines do not cause autism and a kid has a better chance of being injured in the car on the way to get a vaccine than they do to suffer a serious reaction to the vaccine. If someone is genuinely concerned that the prevailing opinion is wrong, then by all means they should research it. But, they should carefully evaluate their sources, and if and when their research starts to involve things they don't understand, they need to acquire the necessary expertise to fully understand all sides of the issue if they want to be taken seriously. One is entitled to their opinion, but if that opinion is based on falsehood and the works of cranks, they shouldn't expect others to respect their opinion. And, when their opinion can lead them to endanger innocent people, it's understandable that others will be upset about it.
A problem here is that we are dealing with probabilities. The overwhelming probability is that your child will avoid a serious, life-threatening illness if you get them vaccinated, versus a reaction to the vaccine.

But the perceived probability is skewed because one (possible) reaction to a vaccine makes a big impact. Kind of like you are better off flying than driving anywhere, but the perceived risk of a flight is higher because a crash makes CNN, whereas the thousands of safe flights never make the news.

Vaccines are the major flight carrier of medicine, while not getting vaccinated is the driving someplace in your personal car. Sure it may feel like you are safer if you don't get vaccinated because you have more control, but you are actually taking on more risk.

Originally posted by nufaninouland:
Originally posted by mothmonsterman:

A problem here is that we are dealing with probabilities. The overwhelming probability is that your child will avoid a serious, life-threatening illness if you get them vaccinated, versus a reaction to the vaccine.

But the perceived probability is skewed because one (possible) reaction to a vaccine makes a big impact. Kind of like you are better off flying than driving anywhere, but the perceived risk of a flight is higher because a crash makes CNN, whereas the thousands of safe flights never make the news.

Vaccines are the major flight carrier of medicine, while not getting vaccinated is the driving someplace in your personal car. Sure it may feel like you are safer if you don't get vaccinated because you have more control, but you are actually taking on more risk.
The problem is that people have lost their basis for comparison. They have never seen polio, measles, rubella, smallpox, scarlet fever, etc. in real life. They're storybook things to them that don't really exist. They get focused on the wrong set of probabilities. For some reason they don't grasp that those diseases can and will kill their children.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
High frequencies causing you issues is HIGHLY unlikely. That's very simple to test, just find a frequency generator and see how high it goes before you can't hear it any more.

This post was edited on 3/16 1:40 PM by TheBeav815
Update. Constructed a cheap Faraday cage and slept in it for 2 days. No change. Then I went online and searched for causes of Tinnitus and found sleep music, last night. Today, I am going to begin supplementing with zinc.. I've already eliminated Gluten & Dairy from my diet, which eliminated all mucus and phlegm from my respiratory system, within the first week of removal. A GREAT improvement!

On another front, but not totally unrelated, I have to find a way to get 4 or 5 straight hours of undisturbed sleep. Since I began monitoring my sleep 3 weeks ago, using a program called Sleep Cycle, I've only had 4 hours of straight, deep, undisturbed sleep, once in the last 3 weeks. Wife(Nurse Practitioner) also suggesting I try a sleep aid called Cerenity.

And on it goes.

Not trying to stir this fight again. Just stumbled onto this article. I know some of the liberals on the board are going to pounce on Dr. Manny's credibility because he is a Fox News contributor, but realize this, he is the father of an 18 year old son with Autism.

It will be interesting to see where this study leads. It has been my opinion since Dr. Wakefield's study has been debunked, that the anti vaccine crowd wants to blame vaccines because they need a cause/effect relationship. Some don't want to accept the fact that the cause could be something going back to the child's development in the womb, because then there is no one to blame. The cause MUST be something else that blame can to put on!

This may or may not be the answer to causation, but I believe ultimately science will prove in the end that a child with autism, is born with it, and the careful monotoring of pregnancy will be the key to lowering the rates. I just hope science can answer the question soon.

Ask Dr. Manny

ADVERTISEMENT