ADVERTISEMENT

(Very OT) Baby Vaccinations

Just to nip one "fact" in the bud often bandied about concerning vaccinations, there is no known link between vaccinations and autism. The "research" that strated that whole thing was falsified.

As far as other stuff, I can see the validity of both sides but to me vaccination seems like a no brainer when it comes to cost/benefit in favor of doing it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I have 3 kids, and they each received all their vaccinations. No problems where encountered, except for maybe fear of needles.

My advice would be see if you have any adverse family history to vaccinations, read up on the good and bad of each vaccination, and then make your own decision as to which (if not all) vaccinations your kids will get.

lol......this is another topic I've had discussions with as well with others. I know some people who think vaccinations are not only overrated by not the best of things to do cause you're putting chemicals in your body. I've had discussions with people who don't believe in flu shots, for instance. They don't believe in them, either. They're the same people who feel vaccinations are the result of such things as creating autism and other bad side affects in people.

Personally, I think vaccinations are necessary. I'm a conservative saying this, too. You need to be protected. I think what concerns me also are many of the illegals coming here, too. How many of these people have been vaccinated? I think that's a concern.

Originally posted by BetterRed:

lol......this is another topic I've had discussions with as well with others. I know some people who think vaccinations are not only overrated by not the best of things to do cause you're putting chemicals in your body. I've had discussions with people who don't believe in flu shots, for instance. They don't believe in them, either. They're the same people who feel vaccinations are the result of such things as creating autism and other bad side affects in people.

Personally, I think vaccinations are necessary. I'm a conservative saying this, too. You need to be protected. I think what concerns me also are many of the illegals coming here, too. How many of these people have been vaccinated? I think that's a concern.
That study was found to totally false. I wold never let my kids NOT be vaccinated. Polio was almost totally eradicated as was measles. Guess what, now it's making a comeback. I know where this thread is headed but I really hope people get their kids vaccinated.

This post was edited on 3/15 3:48 PM by sparky62

Herd immunity only works if most of the herd is vaccinated. If you don't have your kids vaccinated and they get measles or something worse, you can blame the other people who made the poor decision not to get vaccinated.

To eradicate small pox from the globe, do you think cow pox was given to just the ones that volunteered?

Vaccinations are the way to go, unless you can't, and then you have to rely on the rest of the herd.

Originally posted by sparky62:

That study was found to totally false. I wold never let my kids NOT be vaccinated. Polio was almost totally eradicated as was measles. Guess what, now it's making a comeback. I know where this thread is headed but I really hope people get their kids vaccinated.

This post was edited on 3/15 3:48 PM by sparky62
I think you can have a lively, civil debate on vaccinations. I've been involved with them. But I agree with you. I think people need to be vaccinated, too. And you're right. Measles are making a comeback. Again, I wonder if any of that has to do with allowing illegals in. The illegal, topic, however, is something that could get testy. But that's what concerns me.

had all the vaccinations and all ive done is get older, and oldER, and OLDER!

Personally I am glad that some of the smartest people in the world dedicate their lives to protecting public health. It's baffling to me how some people take their hatred for politicians and other things governmental, and use that to make a case against vaccinations. I'll bet my aunt who contracted polio as a child, and spent the rest of her life in a wheelchair, wishes she could have been so oppressed by the government that she had been vaccinated..

I feel blessed to live in an era where the odds of dying from or being disabled by a terrible epidemic are very remote. But that didn't happen by accident, and it shouldn't be undone by people who don't know what the #*&@ they are talking about.

Research Dr. Andrew Wakefield. He is the British Doctor who started the frenzy. I saw him testify on TV in front of one congressional committee, I believe a congressman or senator from Indiana named Burton was the chairman. This was about the time my first child was born. Burton had a grandchild diagnosised with autism.

Wakefield made a claim the MMR shot was a link to autism. It caused a lot of fear, and it made me not want to have my son get the MMR shot at the same time as 3 other shots.

Wakefield's study was disproved, but the critics like Jenny McCarthy, who have an autistic son, are still believers.

Maybe there is a risk, but 3 kids later and all required shots, and no problems. Based on the lack of evidence proving otherwise, I'd feel pretty stupid now if I had a child needlessly effected by a preventable disease.

At this point I think there is nothing but suspicion, and the Internet has done nothing but spread fear with no viable scientific evidence to back it up.

Many of the diseases are worse if you catch them as an adult.

Polio

poliwho002.jpg

Chicken Pox, Also prone to Shingles as adult
chicken_pox_in_adults_chicken_pox_rash_chicken_pox_scars.jpg

Hepatitis and liver failure
Jaundice_eye.jpg

Measles
measles-complication.png
Rubella

vaccine3-polio-34-728.jpg

Vaccine-Preventable Diseases and the Vaccines that

Have your kids vaccinated. End of story. Millions (probably billions) vaccinated, for all sorts of maladies, with no identifiable link to any common injury. We have 2 kids, one if 30 the other is 29. They got their shots. Bright, successful. I also had to research the MMR link to possible epileptic seizures for a client. Anyone who delays or does not vaccinate based on the fear-mongering is placing their children and others at tremendous risk. We're dealing with both measles and whooping cough outbreaks in this area. Those that do not vaccinate their kids will have to live with the consequences.

Originally posted by TarheelHuskerFan:
I've heard so many bad things on both sides and have no idea what to do. What are your opinions? What experience have you guys had with this?

Thanks
Never had a problem and know of no family that has.

There is plenty of research out there on vaccinations, this is something you should spend some time researching on your own and then do what feels right.

There is literally no reputable research that establishes that vaccines are harmful. Zero. Don't get swindled by folks in tin hats worried about government intrusion into, you know, the health of the public. The discussion is purely political and does not exist among actual scientists. You are a fool to not vaccinate your children for the harm it may cause to them and others.

I was never vaccinated and I grew up very healthy and still am very healthy. But my and wife and I did choose to have our son get the MMR, Hep A and meningitis vaccines.

As of right now we're choosing not to have him receive the flu shot or the chicken pox vaccine. He's just over 1 year old now.

Do your research of course. While I'm not anti-vaccine I think it's okay to question them and not go get them willy nilly.

I will say that when we got our son vaccinated we spread the different types of vaccines out rather than get them all at once. That way if he did get a negative reaction we knew which vaccine it was from.

Pretty sure like every country south of the border has close to 100% vaccination rate. Reason being that vaccines are the cheapest, most effective, preventative form of medicine around, so in poorer countries or just places with poor healthcare it's basically the best way of ensuring your population isn't dying before the age of 10. So no, it's nothing to do with illegals.

It's entirely suburban unemployed housewives who read too many Geocities websites about the healing powers of Lemon Juice and how vaccines are totes a lie from big pharmacy. Just another reason the suburbs are the worst place on earth. I took a wrong turn into one on my way home from work one day and legit got lost for 15 minutes in a never ending maze of same looking houses and dead end roads.
Also, this is one of those cases where you shouldn't pretend to be open minded and say you've "listened to both sides." The truth isn't always some truth-is-in-the-middle-both-sides-are-valid nonsense. In this case it's very much the truth that vaccines are possibly the greatest, most effective form of medicine ever invented, and people who say they aren't need to shut up and go die before they cause even more people to die prematurely due to believing their crap.

This post was edited on 3/15 6:21 PM by Limeincoke

This post was edited on 3/15 6:22 PM by Limeincoke

I've had discussions with people who don't believe in flu shots, for instance. They don't believe in them, either. They're the same people who feel vaccinations are the result of such things as creating autism and other bad side affects in people.
I believe in getting the major vaccinations, but not the flu shot. There's a big difference. The flu shot is developed based on an educated guess about which strains they think will be most common. If you have a naturally strong immune system, you probably don't need it. Ironically, the only times I've gotten a bad case of the flu were the years I had to get a flu shot. Haven't had the flu since I stopped getting the shot.

Everyone remembers when they were a kid and they got Polio.
Oh you didn't get Polio? That is because your parents got you vaccinated!

The law acknowledges that there are risks involved with vaccines

In answer to Tarheel's question, the answer is to proceed with caution, especially when it comes to vaccinations of babies and young children.

Prior to 1976, children were given 10 vaccinations prior to being school aged. Now they are given 36 and all in one fell swoop. While the pro vaccination crowd puts the burden of proof that they are unsafe on the anti vaccination crowd, the double standard is that the pro crowd has not provided proof that they are safe.

Congress passed the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act in 1986 in response to lobbying by the pharmaceutical industry to shield them from civil product liability and malpractice lawsuits for injuries and deaths caused by federally recommended and state mandated vaccines.

The law acknowledges that vaccines carry serious risks, so it created a federal vaccine injury compensation program (VICP) By 2013, the VICP had awarded more than $2.6 billion to vaccine injured individuals and their families. A fee, usually 75c and up on the sale of every vaccine goes toward this fund. So, the patients essentially pay into a fund, not the makers of the drugs. I find that odd, but that's big government and big pharma at work and really not unusual in our country. Big pharma does not want these cases going to a jury trial, so they basically can do business as usual without taking adequate safeguards to protect the public.

My advice is to keep reading. I'm not anti vaccine. My kids have had them, but we've spaced them out, waited until they were older and and we've avoided some. For example, polio is spread by poor sanitation practices. There hasn't been a case in the US since 1979 and it ain't because of the vaccine. If you trust your government explicitly, good luck to you. The comeback of some diseases that we thought were squashed are largely a result of being re-introduced via illegal aliens.

I am a family practice doctor in Nebraska.

There is only one good reason not to get vaccinated-->If you are immune suppressed and can't receive live virus vaccines. Reactions to vaccine components are extremely uncommon. There is no other good reason to not get vaccinated on schedule. There has been no development in the science of medicine that has made more of an impact on health and saving peoples lives than vaccines. Period. If I could pick only one thing to do for anybody that walks in my office, it would be to vaccinate.

I am glad to see almost everyone in this thread supports vaccines. It restores my faith in humanity.

One question for the anti-vaxers...if I think the #1 thing you should do for the health of your child is to vaccinate, and you disagree, then why would you continue to see us? To you, we must be the stupidest people on the planet if we think that. If you think we are that dumb, why would you ever come back?

I'd avoid em at all costs if I could.

Phrases like,
(there are no known links between, blah blah blah)
(There are no studies linking, blah, blah, blah)

Good luck, with your decision.

Harry Caray, I'm with you on the flu shots. Never gotten them myself and I've managed just fine. For some people I can see getting it, but as a healthy young adult I really don't think it's necessary for me.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

misread. deleted.

This post was edited on 3/15 7:48 PM by tpmcg

Hearing things is different than research. I would want to see scientific research....that has been replicated over and over....producing data that immunizations are harmful to children.....before I did not listen to my family physician. I am sure somewhere in every state there are dhildren who have had serious complications from an immunization. But I have been a nurse for almost 30 years and I would be concerned if a family member chose against immunizations. Dont be afraid to sit down with your PCP or Pediatrition to discuss your concerns.

You define your faith in humanity by whether people choose to use vaccines or not?

Also I'm not quite understanding your last question.... You say 'your' number one recommendation but then go on to say 'us physicians'.

Our Dr strongly encouraged to get our son vaccinated and pushed it pretty hard. If we ended up not getting our son vaccinated we'd still use her as our Dr because we like the way she communicates with us and we trust her. We wouldn't think she was dumb even if we didn't take her advice.

Most anti-vaccers don't believe that Dr's are quacks.

If you want the answer to your question, read this article that is linked. I wholeheartedly agree with it.

I say "us" because 99.999999% of physicians agree, the benefits of vaccination outweigh the risks...by light years.

A quote from the article

"Giving kids vaccines is the absolute, unambiguous standard of care, as easy an answer as I will ever be able to offer. If they don’t trust me about that, how can I hope they would if the questions ever got harder?

This post was edited on 3/15 8:47 PM by eickmeiergh

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/30/the-real-reason-pediatricians-want-you-to-vaccinate-your-kids.html

I'd suggest that a person in 15 or 20 years whose parents chose not to have these vaccinations administered will encounter difficulty finding a primary care physician. And in the meantime the parent will have a harder time finding a competent pediatrician. Go ahead and read up. Just differentiate between science and the E! Network.

Originally posted by goody1986:
There is literally no reputable research that establishes that vaccines are harmful. Zero. Don't get swindled by folks in tin hats worried about government intrusion into, you know, the health of the public. The discussion is purely political and does not exist among actual scientists. You are a fool to not vaccinate your children for the harm it may cause to them and others.
While there are some anti-government people who don't like vaccines, the large majority of anti-vaxxers don't have a problem with the government, they're more opposed to the "the evuhhl corporashunzzzzz!!!1!!!!!1!!ELEVEN!!!" I am an anarchist, so no one hates and distrusts the government more than I do, but you'd better believe that my son will get his shots on the regular schedule. As for the OP's question, please for the love of all that's good, get your kids vaccinated. It's safer for your child, it's safer for my child and it's safer for everyone else's child. Anti-vaxxers are smelly hippies for the most part, don't be a smelly hippy.

There's also literally no evidence showing that vaccines are 100% harmless.

Originally posted by meo1960:
I'd avoid em at all costs if I could.

Phrases like,
(there are no known links between, blah blah blah)
(There are no studies linking, blah, blah, blah)

Good luck, with your decision.
You are missing the lines before those. Vaccines prevent deadly or crippling illnesses with no links between blah blah blah. Some people made up a link between vaccines and other problems that don't exist, then people like Jenny McCarthy find evidence of these made up links and profess them as facts to the public. Since she's famous, people listen to her. Ignorance is not a good reason to keep your children from getting vaccines.

Nobody says they are "harmless". The side effects are usually mild, like a low grade fever, pain at site of injection or redness. These effects are normal in somebody who is undergoing the immune reaction we are trying to stimulate with a vaccine. Severe reactions are extremely rare, like I said. They don't cause autism. They just don't, and there is evidence to prove it. Repeatedly shown. Over and over. And the point is EVEN IF THEY DID cause all the symptoms/diseases/downsides that all the misguided people out there say they do, the benefits would still outweigh the risks by a lot.

This post was edited on 3/15 10:52 PM by eickmeiergh

I dont believe seatbelts are 100% harmless. Air bags either. I'll take my chances with them though.

Of course there are two sides to the debate. However, the science is 99.999% pro-vaccinations. But that doesn't deter the anti-vaccination crowd who can point to all sorts of "testimonial" evidence.
I never met my much older sister who died of polio at age 8, a few years before Salk developed the first vaccine.
This post was edited on 3/15 10:54 PM by hddude55

Its a sad state of affairs when the opinions of quacks and Jenny McCarthy are even considered in the same breath as years and years of properly conducted scientific research, not to mention the overwhelming results. Personally, I have been eliminating the anti-vax type people from my life. Its fine to question things, but this is dangerous and stupid. Google university is scary in the hands of those people.

I know some people who think vaccinations are not only overrated by not the best of things to do cause you're putting chemicals in your body.
Well, I hope they don't put any other chemicals in their body.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT