ADVERTISEMENT

VERY HYPOTHETICAL: Frost or Urban

If Urban said he wanted to coach at Nebraska, do you take him or stick with Frost?

• Urban Meyer

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 56 59.6%

• Total voters

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
I know some people hate hypothetical scenarios, but here's one I think might be interesting. Knowing Urban Meyer's success at bringing championships to wherever he coaches, what if he came to Moos and said "the Nebraska gig is my dream job and I'd come out of retirement to coach there."

Would you want him to come or would you rather stick with a fairly inexperienced Frost?

If I were the AD at Nebraska and...

If this was prior to HCSF being here, I would say Urbs, just because his recruiting would be pretty good I think, and he's a proven multi-championship coach.

But with Frost already here I say no to Urban, nothing personal of course, you just don't bail on a Nebraska guy like that.

Everywhere Urban has been there has been controversy. I want no part of that, and the chance of him tarnishing Nebraska. I will stand with Frost for as long as he’s here! GBR

Reactions: huskerfan66
I do know urban really admires TO as he’s mentioned on several different occasions. Urban is the 21st century of Barry switzer. Win at all cost

Everywhere Urban has been there has been controversy. I want no part of that, and the chance of him tarnishing Nebraska. I will stand with Frost for as long as he’s here! GBR

This is the program of Lawrence Phillips, Christian Peter, Ritchie Incognito, and now Maurice Washington. If that hasn't tarnished Nebraska, then I doubt Urban Meyer would either.

If we had an opening, of course you hire Urban over Frost. One has 3 National Championships and has won big everywhere. But it's a moot point, Frost will be here as long as he wants to be

It depends on how patient you want to be with Frost.

Urban Meyer would produce top 5, no worse than top 10, recruiting classes right from the start, there is little doubt about that. He has a national reputation and national championships. He would attract top athletes from all regions of the country. The Ohio State players that faced Nebraska earlier this year are Urban Meyer's recruits. He has had some controversy in his past but nothing Moos or any other AD would consider too troubling.

Frost is the up and coming coach with a growing national reputation and has shown to be a decent recruiter so far. If the program continues to improve and have more success, recruiting will improve also IMO. The question is how much faith and patience do you have in Frost to produce that success at Nebraska. I'd say right now it is still high even though it is not the sky high on the day he was selected.

Reactions: TheBeav815
This is the program of Lawrence Phillips, Christian Peter, Ritchie Incognito, and now Maurice Washington. If that hasn't tarnished Nebraska, then I doubt Urban Meyer would either.

If we had an opening, of course you hire Urban over Frost. One has 3 National Championships and has won big everywhere. But it's a moot point, Frost will be here as long as he wants to be

Urban is a slap dick.

Lmao at Urban Meyer ever wanting to coach here. Death sentence.

right, why would Urban Meyer want to take a job for a Blue Blood football program with huge football back ground and history? You’re the stupid one thinking he wouldn’t take the job. If Moos offered him a good chunk of money, Urban Meyer would take it in a heart beat. He knows our fan base and everything we have to offer. He’d have it made here. LOL & Some of you tards even thought Fred Hoiberg wouldn’t Coach for the Huskers basketball squad....weird how wrong you dummies are. Just because you guys don’t like the Huskers, that doesn’t mean everyone else is the same way.

Didn't read anything but the title. Not sure what's more ridiculous - actually posting this question or taking the time to give a considered answer.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I know some people hate hypothetical scenarios, but here's one I think might be interesting. Knowing Urban Meyer's success at bringing championships to wherever he coaches, what if he came to Moos and said "the Nebraska gig is my dream job and I'd come out of retirement to coach there."

Would you want him to come or would you rather stick with a fairly inexperienced Frost?

And here’s to worse part, even if we had Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, Bob Stoops, or Nick Saban here, we’d have the exact same struggles and issues we are facing right now. We are in the need of a rebuild, a complete rebuild And their isn’t a Head Coach out there right now, that could have came right in and instantly had us fixed. We’d have to give anyone we got 3-4 years to get us going again.

Last edited:
And here’s to worse part, even if we had Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, Bob Stoops, or Nick Saban here, we’d have the exact same struggles and issues we are facing right now. We are in the need of a rebuild, a complete rebuild And their isn’t a Head Coach out there right now, that could have came right in and instantly had us fixed. We’d have to give anyone we got a 3-4 years to get us going again.
Yep

The urban meyer hate is ridiculous. There wasn't a problem at BG or Utah. The problems at Florida were no different than what Osborne dealt with in the early to mid 90s. Ohio st is also something that was convoluted at best, akin to being criticized for not going to HR about a criminal investigation of a coworker when the police were already involved.

Do you take urban meyer as a head coach if there is an opening? Heck yeah you do. Why would anyone turn down one of the top 2 performers in the industry over the last 20 years.

The urban meyer hate is ridiculous. There wasn't a problem at BG or Utah. The problems at Florida were no different than what Osborne dealt with in the early to mid 90s. Ohio st is also something that was convoluted at best, akin to being criticized for not going to HR about a criminal investigation of a coworker when the police were already involved.

Do you take urban meyer as a head coach if there is an opening? Heck yeah you do. Why would anyone turn down one of the top 2 performers in the industry over the last 20 years.

You turn it down because you don't like a man who can make so much more money than you playing a game, win everywhere you go, and probably has a hotter wife.

Other than that it's ridiculous......

It’s much to early to even be starting such threads. Now if we are still struggling to win games by year 4, any such threads seem reasonable to me.

I would rather have had an option for Saban as well. Maybe TO and NU tempt the defensive genius away from MSU before he goes to LSU and asks him to take over when TO retires. Timing would have been about right. He wins a couple of more Natties, goes off to coach in the pros. Meanwhile, just about the time he is ready to go coach pros, we get that up and coming offensive genius Urban guy doing some good things at little ole Utah. Urban comes in, revamps the tired old option offense, wins a couple of natties, develops some health problems and hires a home grown boy to take over and NU names Scott Frost the heir apparent.

If we are going to dream, why not dream bigger? :p

Tough one. Short term I would have to go with Meyer. The guys is a proven winner wherever he goes. So I do believe he could turn the program around and do it quickly. I think some of our struggle is Frost is a new coach and learning the ropes. However, long term I would take Frost 100% no question. It could be a rough few year until he gets everything figured out and the players he wants. After that we will have something we haven't had since TO, consistency. I don't see Frost bolting for another program or the NFL ever. So once he gets this machine up and running it could run for another 20+ years. Where as Meyer I doubt would stick around more than 4 or 5 years and we would have to start all over again.

I can't believe some of you that post. LMAO. This is one of the dumbest of all time posts

Reactions: chicolby
Urban Meyer, no contest, not even close to being one.

We would be back to championship football right away. We wouldn't be losing to Colorado or getting our asses kicked on National TV again.

With Frost, it's another "learn on the job" kind of thing.

Not sure why this is even a debate. Urban without a doubt. Two championships are better than zero last time I checked. Sure he might be somewhat sketchy but he can flat out coach. One thing is for sure, he would have pulled our center who’s snapping the ball to Mars a dozen times a game. The man demands excellence and has a short leash for those who don’t follow. He’s also great at making in game and halftime adjustments.

I’m a big Frost fan and he’s the right one for this job but he hasn’t proven yet that he’s in Urban’s league. No way compadre.

But to answer the OP, no you don’t get rid of Frost to hire Urban.

This is one reason we may never win again. People would choose Scott Frost because he is an alum over a guy who won in four different places including national titles in two different places. People bitch and moan about 9 wins but would give up pretty much a guaranteed playoff appearance to have Scott Frost as coach so they can bitch and moan for 10 years why we aren't the 95 huskers. Our fan base will push out a guy who wins 75% of his games, then when nobody wants to come here blame the AD, then blame the guy who gets stuck with the job taking over for the sad bastard who got fired after winning 3/4 games, then fire that guy to hire a stupid tough guy who seems like "he gets it"...only to watch that guy insulate the program from the fan base so he doesn't have to deal with their stupidity. We then push that guy out because he doesn't win the "right" games, only to get stuck with another poor bastard who is taking over for a guy who has won 9 games seven straight years...and that poor coach has a 49% winning percentage in his career!!!!! So no Urban is too smart to take this job but he would be a homerun, and our fans would of course turn him away.

Since Urban Meyer would never come here, I reject your science project statement, and find this whole post/thread erroneous.

4wykv.jpg

Reactions: TheNewNU
Since Urban Meyer would never come here, I reject your science project statement, and find this whole post/thread erroneous.

4wykv.jpg
You bite your tongue. Chaz Reinhold is not a kook. He is a brave and a decent man. He's a pioneer!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT