ADVERTISEMENT

Verduzco’s comments on radio

Huskerz99

Junior
Oct 27, 2019
Did anyone else feel he is deflecting to other position groups or coaches as to why the quarterbacks are struggling?

“We’re going to get this damn thing cranked up, so don’t sweat the small stuff,” Verduzco said. “But it sucks losing, I’ll tell you that.”

Deep in my soul, I wonder: at this point do they REALLY believe they're going to get this program turned around? Frost's favorite post-gamer is "we're really close." No we're not. Three years in, our hallmark is finding ways to lose almost every close game. That doesn't mean you're close, that means you have no ability to fix the basic issues that repeat every Saturday. Same penalties, same turnovers, same missed blocks, same personnel issues. On and on and on and on.

While the qb spot has its own troubles, they pale in comparison to those of our OL. Tough to play qb when 2 OL have failing grades most of the time. Add in the inconsistent hiking issue and any qb would struggle.

So very, very true sir. Hikes flying around everywhere & our OLine has a long, long way to go...... but the vast majority of NU fans blame our qbs for everything.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Hard to get much done when your OL ranks in the bottom 3rd of the country.

Ranking all 127 FBS offensive lines through CFB Week 13
Wow the Farniok apologists will have field day with this:

Left tackle Brenden Jaimes was the only Cornhusker offensive lineman with any high hopes of good play this season and that’s exactly been the case so far. Jaimes hasn’t been nearly as good as what he was last year in pass protection when he earned an 88.1 grade in that facet, but he has still been good relative to his counterparts. The left tackle has recorded a 75.4 pass-block grade this year and allowed the fifth-lowest pressure rate among Big Ten tackles at 1.9%. As for everyone else on Nebraska’s offensive line, they have allowed over twice the pressure rate of Jaimes and are all under a 60.0 pass-block grade for the year.

Wow the Farniok apologists will have field day with this:

Left tackle Brenden Jaimes was the only Cornhusker offensive lineman with any high hopes of good play this season and that’s exactly been the case so far. Jaimes hasn’t been nearly as good as what he was last year in pass protection when he earned an 88.1 grade in that facet, but he has still been good relative to his counterparts. The left tackle has recorded a 75.4 pass-block grade this year and allowed the fifth-lowest pressure rate among Big Ten tackles at 1.9%. As for everyone else on Nebraska’s offensive line, they have allowed over twice the pressure rate of Jaimes and are all under a 60.0 pass-block grade for the year.
Need to clean house on offensive position coaches

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
giphy.gif

While the qb spot has its own troubles, they pale in comparison to those of our OL. Tough to play qb when 2 OL have failing grades most of the time. Add in the inconsistent hiking issue and any qb would struggle.
WR's are even worse. Just compare how they run routes vs any other decent team. It looks like they're jogging and they hardly ever get open on downfield routes.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Seems to be a lot of "revisionist history" on this board. There have been posts after posts about the "improved" O line play and how OSU was proof of that. I have been saying baloney for the last three years but willing to give them year one.

The excuses are running out as the line has more Frost era recruits and fewer hold overs. I find it interesting that probably the best O line we have had for the last three years was in Frost's first year.

Quit reading the headlines and uninformed posts and watch the game film over and over. It does not lie.

Seems to be a lot of "revisionist history" on this board. There have been posts after posts about the "improved" O line play and how OSU was proof of that. I have been saying baloney for the last three years but willing to give them year one.

The excuses are running out as the line has more Frost era recruits and fewer hold overs. I find it interesting that probably the best O line we have had for the last three years was in Frost's first year.

Quit reading the headlines and uninformed posts and watch the game film over and over. It does not lie.
Frost's NU coached teams in order from best to worst-2018, 2019, 2020. O lines-2018, 2019, 2020.

Last edited:
WR's are even worse. Just compare how they run routes vs any other decent team. It looks like they're jogging and they hardly ever get open on downfield routes.

True, that’s why Betts, Brown and others should play instead of our 5.8 forty guys.

Reactions: huntered
True, that’s why Betts, Brown and others should play instead of our 5.8 forty guys.
Yeah Betts should definitely be on the field more and might be our best receiver already. I even think he's our best blocking receiver. Our walk-ons aren't even good at that imo and neither is Wandale. Brown has better speed than a lot of those guys but has had a couple bad drops already. Fleming was probably the best route runner, but he's gone already. I don't think the staff was planning for these guys to play much because they thought Omar would be the starter. Just one more thing this staff wasn't prepared for in getting our young receivers ready to play.

I also catch Wandale jogging around a lot, so I think it's more of an effort problem than necessarily an athleticism problem. The younger guys at least seem to give some good effort on running routes and trying to get open.

Reactions: rrthusker
Maybe we should make Frost fire the O-line coach? Who is he anyway? Probably doesn't even care about Nebraska or our tradition or history.

I thought he really had only two opportunities to directly deflect and one other time he sort of deflected. The first opportunity was a question about the snaps that I thought he handled graciously by saying the QBs had to handle what occurs in a game. So I don't think he deflected to Jurgens.

There was another spot when someone asked why the QBs run so much where he went on on about everybody on the offense doing their jobs whether it was getting open or pass blocking and if something broke down, that's why they recruit running QBs to make something happen. While I don't think he was bagging on the other positions, he certainly deflected a little by not stating the obvious that his QBs often don't find a wide open man and get happy feet and take off. I understanding protecting your kids, but it would be refreshing to hear one of the coaches tell the truth once in awhile.

The bad deflection was when someone asked via text "Do you have any concern about how quickly your QBs are getting through their reads?" He bristled at that question and sounded really angry. He said "you are going to get through your reads as fast as receivers can run routes". I thought that was sad. Not only did he throw the receivers under the bus, but he came off as dismissive that the texter didn't know what he was talking about. While it is hard to tell only watching the games on TV, I think it is obvious there is a huge problem with the speed our QBs go through progressions. There are often receivers wide open and either don't get thrown to or the throw is late. Case in point, the last fumble. While the OL whiffing the block was primary to that disaster, the receiver (I think it was a TE) came open a few seconds before AM threw it. If he had just let it go and not sat on the ball he could have completed it and maybe even gotten a roughing call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT