Illinois 3

So according to this our losses will be:
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Ioway
Michigan
Minnesota

I think Nebraska is fully capable of winning 2 of these games..
Gimme Ioway and Minnesota to get to 8. Sorry but in Year 4 of Scott Frost, in order to get where we all want, HAVE to be better than Iowa and Minnesota at this point. I can accept a loss this year to Wisconsin as long as it's an absolute heart breaker until the very end and loss to the other 3.

6 is the safe bet for Vegas. Bowl game at minimum, 9 is probably the ceiling this year.

One of the better defenses in the BIG, 3 year starter at QB, and 6 wins is the projection. Hmmmm.

Not counting last years Covid schedule but in 2019 it was 7.5 so with the performance the last 2 seasons I can see why it is 6 / 6.5 and playing two of the top 5 teams in the country..

No other team in the Big 10 is playing 2 top of the top 5 teams....

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
Not counting last years Covid schedule but in 2019 it was 7.5 so with the performance the last 2 seasons I can see why it is 6 / 6.5 and playing two of the top 5 teams in the country..

No other team in the Big 10 is playing 2 top of the top 5 teams....
uh huh, and Fordham and Buffalo should be guaranteed wins. "Performance" sure has been a problem.

Had Buffalo not lost their HC and a number of players to the portal, that game likely would have been very close. They probably would have beat us last year.
And if NU had good development and play calling, we should be able to turn teams like Buffalo into our own personal hand-puppet. So we are allowed to use excuses of playing two really good teams as to why our win expectation is so low, but not allowed to use Buffalo as an excuse of why our win expectation should be better. That's just grand.

Well remember, the goal is to get betting action on both sides. If Vegas came out with 8 for you guys, there would be too much action on the "under" and not much on the "over".

Regular Season Win Totals

Nebraska 6

Oklahoma 11
Ohio St 11
Wisconsin 9.5
Iowa 8.5
Buffalo 8.5
Michigan 8
Minnesota 7
Northwestern 6.5
Purdue 5
Michigan St 4
Illinois 3
What’s important is the juice on some of these. Wisconsin is 9.5 but it’s +110 for the over and -139 for the under. Iowa was the opposite last night at -139 for the over and +110 for the under 8.5. But it moved to -113 for both the over and under this morning.

Illinois is -171 for the over and +138 for under 3. NW is even money for over and -125 for under 6.5. Purdue (5), Nebraska (6) and Minnesota (7) are -113 for either side.

Michigan is +110 for over and -139 for under 8.

I just don’t see how, without drinking koolaid, you see this team winning 7 games this season. And I bet most of you deep down also agree with the reality of this.

This program under Frost is absolutely amazing at finding ways to lose games. Why does that miraculously change

We go at least 6-6 as long as we beat Illinois. I don't think this will be an easy task given the amount of "Super Seniors" they have coming back. Alot of people on here think it's an automatic win, but I think that's foolish. Win and we should be 6-6 or better. Win convincingly? 7-5, 8-4? Lose and things start to fall apart in Lincoln.

Well remember, the goal is to get betting action on both sides. If Vegas came out with 8 for you guys, there would be too much action on the "under" and not much on the "over".
Correct. They must have gotten a lot of action on under 8.5 for Iowa last night at plus money so they lowered the juice to -113 on both sides. With that move, they are trying to even it out and get matching money on the over.

I just don’t see how, without drinking koolaid, you see this team winning 7 games this season. And I bet most of you deep down also agree with the reality of this.

This program under Frost is absolutely amazing at finding ways to lose games. Why does that miraculously change
The stat that’s cut off at the bottom is insane:

1.6% of our 245 passing attempts (including sacks) resulted in a 30+ yard gain. That’s a total of 4 plays. One was a behind the LOS tip to Betts.

That is ridiculously, comically impotent.

We have somehow managed to turn our passing game into the equivalent of 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

It’s hard to think about ceilings when we haven’t come near them for years. I’ve become much more familiar with floors.
While I'm working from home in my "office" not really an office it's just a desk with some monitors on it, the ceiling above me angles upward like a positive trend, so that's where I got that. Not really though I think our ceiling is 9 wins with a little luck, a little correction of mistakes, and a bouncing ball or two our direction. But I still like 8-4.

The stat that’s cut off at the bottom is insane:

1.6% of our 245 passing attempts (including sacks) resulted in a 30+ yard gain. That’s a total of 4 plays. One was a behind the LOS tip to Betts.

That is ridiculously, comically impotent.

We have somehow managed to turn our passing game into the equivalent of 3 yards and a cloud of dust.
Impossible. I am told that Adrian Martinez completes tons of passes for big gains.

With 2 likely wins and 1 guaranteed loss in the non con to hit the overs we have to go over .500 in the Big Ten?

Fat chance that happens with Frost walking the sidelines.

If the offense starts scoring you could see where suddenly things look dramatically brighter than the last two years.

But that's a monstrous IF. It would require Scott to get out of his own way in terms of playcalling.

Don't forget that Nebraska has only had 2 times in the last 10 years where we had a top 50 defense. Not top 25 - top 50! Has to be top 50 to make a bowl game.
Defense has been improved but still has a long way to go. Having an offense that doesn't strive to go 3-and-out faster than anyone else in the nation would be immensely helpful to the defensive numbers.

Defense also has its own responsibilities to bear such as not acquiring anything resembling an effective edge rush for 3 years. I don't know how hard it should be to find ONE guy you can speed rush off the edge in obvious passing situations to stretch the pocket. Their pass rush has been certifiably impotent.

They're getting good dudes at the run stopping positions, DE, NT, ILB. That OLB spot is still way behind in terms of development and the secondary has been average. The middle of your defense as a strength would be great if it were still 1989. In 2021 everybody is running spread and attacking you vertically and horizontally...everybody except Nebraska who tries to attack you horizontally but can't complete the pass accurately or on time.

Defense has been improved but still has a long way to go. Having an offense that doesn't strive to go 3-and-out faster than anyone else in the nation would be immensely helpful to the defensive numbers.

Defense also has its own responsibilities to bear such as not acquiring anything resembling an effective edge rush for 3 years. I don't know how hard it should be to find ONE guy you can speed rush off the edge in obvious passing situations to stretch the pocket. Their pass rush has been certifiably impotent.

They're getting good dudes at the run stopping positions, DE, NT, ILB. That OLB spot is still way behind in terms of development and the secondary has been average. The middle of your defense as a strength would be great if it were still 1989. In 2021 everybody is running spread and attacking you vertically and horizontally...everybody except Nebraska who tries to attack you horizontally but can't complete the pass accurately or on time.

I agree that Chin has improved the defense, but in regards to finding a pass rusher I think that is partly on how he runs his defensive schemes. I know in Wisconsin's 3-4 there were dedicated guys whose main job was get to the QB. Stand up in different spots, stunts etc. Baun, Edwards, Orr etc. There is no excuse IMO that Payne and Tannor can't both at least get 5 sacks this year.

I agree that Chin has improved the defense, but in regards to finding a pass rusher I think that is partly on how he runs his defensive schemes. I know in Wisconsin's 3-4 there were dedicated guys whose main job was get to the QB. Stand up in different spots, stunts etc. Baun, Edwards, Orr etc. There is no excuse IMO that Payne and Tannor can't both at least get 5 sacks this year.
Does tannor even have 5 sacks in his career? Another guy who seems to have been here forever but never get any better.

Does tannor even have 5 sacks in his career? Another guy who seems to have been here forever but never get any better.

He had 2 last year in 7 games. Not far fetched to get 3 more with another year and 5 more games. Problem will be playing time since Domann, Nelson, and Payne seem to be the top 3 right now.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Care to name them?

Week 0 at Illinois

Nebraska should win, but last year many of the Illini back beat many of the Nebraska back 41-23.

Bret Bielema may get some juice going in August. There is plenty of experience back, like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Fordham - not likely going to upset any FBS program, right?

Buffalo is less likely, with spring exit of coaching staff to KU. The previous staff would have been salty, especially with Lance Leiopold homecoming back in Lincoln. But, he will be in Lawrence now.

Michigan assistant will take over role.

At Michigan State, Mel Tucker pulled off a win in Boulder at CU, and he hopes to get 45% of his new roster through portal. East Lansing will be one week post Norman, so never say never?

Northwestern at Nebraska is always a competitive rivalry in B1G West or former Legends match up. Pat Fitzgerald and his staff will come to Lincoln with chip on their shoulders.

Purdue at Nebraska should have some offense. Huskers held it there last year 37-27.

Fans in stands in 2021, where will each team be emotionally at this point in late October?

6 wins is a good step up from 3 win seasons over Frost years.

Last edited:
We go at least 6-6 as long as we beat Illinois. I don't think this will be an easy task given the amount of "Super Seniors" they have coming back. Alot of people on here think it's an automatic win, but I think that's foolish. Win and we should be 6-6 or better. Win convincingly? 7-5, 8-4? Lose and things start to fall apart in Lincoln.
I believe illinois should have an adequate defense, and Bielema will take the air out of the game with his smash mouth ball control football style. So I guess it depends on whether Brett has the personal to play that kind of football in year one.

Week 0 at Illinois

Nebraska should win, but last year many of the Illini back beat many of the Nebraska back 41-23.

Bret Bielema may get some juice going in August. There is plenty of experience back, like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Buffalo is less likely, with spring exit of coaching staff to KU. The previous staff would have been salty, especially with Lance Leiopold homecoming back in Lincoln. But, he will be in Lawrence now.

At Michigan State, Mel Tucker pulled off a win in Boulder at CU, and he hopes to get 45% of his new roster through portal. East Lansing will be one week post Norman, so never say never?

Northwestern at Nebraska is always a competitive rivalry in B1G West or former Legends match up. Pat Fitzgerald and his staff will come to Lincoln with chip on their shoulders.

Purdue at Nebraska should have some offense. Huskers held it there last year 37-27.

Fans in stands in 2021, where will each team be emotionally at this point in late October?

🙄

6 wins would be a big disappointment to me unless those losses are against teams that end up being very good.

I understand Ohio St, Oklahoma and Michigan, but any other opponent should be very winnable especially since this is year 4 and Frost was supposed to be a great head coach. At least that's what I remember reading when he was first hired so my standards for him are much higher than they were for Callahan & Riley.

Week 0 at Illinois

3 wins as in 3-5? We have been bad but at least be factual.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT