ADVERTISEMENT

Vaccine Progress

There seem to be about 4 vaccines for potential U.S. use in the lead. The Moderna vaccine is one of those candidates. Odds seem to be good at this point that at least one will make it (likely more than one). Operation Warp Speed appears to be on track.

As much as I want to believe this is a "moonshot" type of deal, I just cant get past the idea of this being a profit play by big pharma and the government. The whole thing just seems like a fictional narrative to me, where there is an unknown villain from beyond this dimension and a hero that comes in to save us all. It's just way too prepackaged to be real.

On average it takes 10 years to safely develop, create and test a vaccine. A vaccine for covid was created and tested in 6 months? Yeah what could go wrong?

Well they couldn't just roll the vaccine out right when the virus hit, then we'd know for sure they had it planned.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
As much as I want to believe this is a "moonshot" type of deal, I just cant get past the idea of this being a profit play by big pharma and the government. The whole thing just seems like a fictional narrative to me, where there is an unknown villain from beyond this dimension and a hero that comes in to save us all. It's just way too prepackaged to be real.
Of course it’s a profit play. Companies like vaxart have went from .30 a share at the beginning of the year to $17 today.

I know you mean in the selling of such a vaccine, but the companies will be set even without upcharging if it’s successful.

I'll take the placebo.

ixk7dlp5cqj21.jpg

Let me go on the record by saying there are some deranged people here who think people would knowingly let hundreds of thousands die for profit. You’ve consumed too much conspiracy content/social media or read too many fiction books.

In order to pull this off, this isn’t a one or even 20 person scheme. This would require hundreds of people knowing about this and not one leak. Improbable at best.

Dr. Fauci's fingerprints are probably all over it.
Dr. Fauci definitely has his own biases and yes, he favors Moderna a bit more than others. Part of that bias comes from previous funding contributions from companies. BUT Dr. Fauci won't make the decisions unilaterally by himself so it will work out.

Reactions: dinglefritz
who is going to take this vaccine?
i have neighbors that wont take vaccines as it is, because vaccines are a conspiracy to control world population, but simultaneously tout hydroxychloriquine as the covid wonder cure.
id add they ‘multi-level market’ some bullsh1t magic health water.
great people, but they are not alone.

i have neighbors that wont take vaccines as it is, because vaccines are a conspiracy to control world population, but simultaneously tout hydroxychloriquine as the covid wonder cure.
I don't want the vaccine. Last vaccine I got caused by immune system to go haywire. I'll pass.

I'm glad that a large number of people will refuse the vaccine. That's means it will be easier for the rest of us to go to the front of the line. I suspect though that they will change their mind once it becomes clear you will have to prove you've been vaccinated to go to concerts, sporting events, bars, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. I think you're going to be prevented from doing a lot of things unless you can prove you had a vaccination once vaccination is available.

For example, I doubt you'll be allowed in Memorial Stadium for a Husker game unless you can prove you've been vaccinated.

I predict it's going to be like children being unable to go to school unless they have had certain vaccinations. You can choose to forego vaccination but that choice will keep you out of a lot of activities probably including your job.

Last edited:
Let me go on the record by saying there are some deranged people here who think people would knowingly let hundreds of thousands die for profit. You’ve consumed too much conspiracy content/social media or read too many fiction books.

In order to pull this off, this isn’t a one or even 20 person scheme. This would require hundreds of people knowing about this and not one leak. Improbable at best.

Improbable? Whats improbable is the idea that we can develop a vaccine for a coronavirus in 6 months when there has never been one developed in history in spite of our attempts. If we are able to take on such a task in such a short period of time and have 6-20 companies all close to attaining that goal, why have we been dealing with the thousands of other viruses out there that kill or affect our quality of life? Why no HIV vaccine? No herpes vaccine? No hepatitis vaccine? They are incurable after decades but this one that destroyed the world's economy can be solved in 6 months? Sorry, that doesn't stand to reason.

I'm glad that a large number of people will refuse the vaccine. That's means it will be easier for the rest of us to go to the front of the line. I suspect though that they will change their mind once it becomes clear you will have to prove you've been vaccinated to go to concerts, sporting events, bars, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. I think you're going to be prevented from doing a lot of things unless you can prove you had a vaccination once vaccination is available.

For example, I doubt you'll be allowed in Memorial Stadium for a Husker game unless you can prove you've been vaccinated.

Its almost like you get the point of all of this. You won't be able to do anything unless...................

Improbable? Whats improbable is the idea that we can develop a vaccine for a coronavirus in 6 months when there has never been one developed in history in spite of our attempts. If we are able to take on such a task in such a short period of time and have 6-20 companies all close to attaining that goal, why have we been dealing with the thousands of other viruses out there that kill or affect our quality of life? Why no HIV vaccine? No herpes vaccine? No hepatitis vaccine? They are incurable after decades but this one that destroyed the world's economy can be solved in 6 months? Sorry, that doesn't stand to reason.
What stands to reason is that not all diseases are the same. Some can be addressed with vaccine, others cannot. There's also no guarantee yet that a Coronavirus vaccine will be effective although the status so far is positive. But technology has made great advances and there's no precedent for the amount of resources around the world that have been applied to this situation. So we'll see how this historical effort turns out - failure or success. The verdict is still unresolved. But it would be ridiculous in my opinion not to give it our best shot. Admitting defeat from the start is not an option.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
The vaccine is all about money for pharma. vaccines are the only product that can kill you and the manufacturer will have no repercussions. The death rates are going down and cases are going up because there are more tests being given. I'm calling it that the reactions to the vaccine will be worse than corona.

Probably good news for the glimmer of hope that is college football. No vaccines for me. Not a conspiracy/politically influenced choice. Never had a flu shot, never had the flu.

I predict it's going to be like children being unable to go to school unless they have had certain vaccinations. You can choose to forego vaccination but that choice will keep you out of a lot of activities probably including your job.
Seems odd. Wouldn't the only vulnerable people at the event be the unvaccinated, presumably by choice? If the majority of the masses are 'safe' and vaccinated, why would those people be concerned about a those at the venue who aren't?

Seems odd. Wouldn't the only vulnerable people at the event be the unvaccinated, presumably by choice? If the majority of the masses are 'safe' and vaccinated, why would those people be concerned about a those at the venue who aren't?
The point is that unvaccinated people infect other unvaccinated people. If/when there's an effective vaccine that probably creates liability issues for any event organizers. I can just hear the arguments from ambulance chasing lawyers claiming that the event was negligent in not taking widely available safety precautions.

Yes, that may sound stupid to you or me but there have been a lot of crazy accusations by ambulance chasing lawyers. They just want money. How about people who sued because they burned themselves with a hot cup of coffee? Never mind that you'd expect someone to be responsible for knowing how to handle hot coffee.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
On average it takes 10 years to safely develop, create and test a vaccine. A vaccine for covid was created and tested in 6 months? Yeah what could go wrong?
I'm not sure where you get the 10 years idea that you keep repeating. This is not something new. The increased capabilities of scientists to map genetic material makes this possible. Subunit vaccines like this are EXTREMELY safe. We've been doing this for animal Corona viruses for a couple of decades and longer than that for some whole virus Corona virus vaccines for animals.

The only concern I would have about it would be some type of immune reaction syndrome but I don't believe that is likely at all from a subunit vaccine. I would take it tomorrow IF they would let me. I'll be in the 10X level antigen group please.

Probably good news for the glimmer of hope that is college football. No vaccines for me. Not a conspiracy/politically influenced choice. Never had a flu shot, never had the flu.
Your time is coming. You've had the flu but you've had subclinical infections. At some point as you age your immune system won't respond well enough and you'll get really sick. Maybe you won't die from it then.

What stands to reason is that not all diseases are the same. Some can be addressed with vaccine, others cannot. There's also no guarantee yet that a Coronavirus vaccine will be effective although the status so far is positive. But technology has made great advances and there's no precedent for the amount of resources around the world that have been applied to this situation. So we'll see how this historical effort turns out - failure or success. The verdict is still unresolved. But it would be ridiculous in my opinion not to give it our best shot. Admitting defeat from the start is not an option.
We've been making VERY effective and safe Corona virus vaccines for animals for decades. This one will be no different. It will work and likely produce at least a year of immunity. Not a year of circulating antibodies to it but rather a year of T cell mediated CMI. IF I hear another talking head on the TV say that they're finding that antibodies to this thing wear off in a couple of months I think I'll throw a rock through my TV. IT DOESN'T MATTER! That isn't what produces longer term immunity.

Your time is coming. You've had the flu but you've had subclinical infections. At some point as you age your immune system won't respond well enough and you'll get really sick. Maybe you won't die from it then.
I agree with the first part.I should have said, I have never been severely infected with the flu. Knock on wood, but I eat good, exercise regularly and dont drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, and I rarely if ever get sick. Now if there were something more sinister sweeping the globe, I may consider some help.

I'm not sure where you get the 10 years idea that you keep repeating. This is not something new. The increased capabilities of scientists to map genetic material makes this possible. Subunit vaccines like this are EXTREMELY safe. We've been doing this for animal Corona viruses for a couple of decades and longer than that for some whole virus Corona virus vaccines for animals.

The only concern I would have about it would be some type of immune reaction syndrome but I don't believe that is likely at all from a subunit vaccine. I would take it tomorrow IF they would let me. I'll be in the 10X level antigen group please.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/vaccine-development-barriers-coronavirus/

This is good news.
The other good news breaking tonight is florida is discovering that their positive tests are faulty. Thanks to some reporters doing their homework and can do math, they discovered inconsistencies.

They discovered several hospitals and labs were not reporting negative results, only positive. Not surprisingly it went from 98% positive to 9.6%. Similar results elsewhere. I wonder why?? Guidelines say ALL results must be reported.

Pay attention

All you have to do to get people to line up for the vaccine is to promote the fact that it makes "others safer" and refusing one is a "selfish act".

Expand on what we have managed to build.

No shirt, no shoes, no service went to

No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service

To be soon followed by

No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no vaccine, no service.

Easy.

Don't believe everything you read. This is not a new vaccine really. It's an alteration to vaccines for Corona virus that we've made for a couple of decades. They use the same techniques but with different pieces of this virus. There was a ton of work done for SARS and that is very closely related. They had already gotten to the point of testing that one in primates successfully. I'm an old duffer now I guess but man the new genetic mapping they can do to identify and isolate the antigens of a virus make this whole deal so much faster and safer.

Reactions: husker2612
I agree with the first part.I should have said, I have never been severely infected with the flu. Knock on wood, but I eat good, exercise regularly and dont drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes, and I rarely if ever get sick. Now if there were something more sinister sweeping the globe, I may consider some help.
s1D9SC3.jpg

Reactions: ZaneHickey
Don't believe everything you read. This is not a new vaccine really. It's an alteration to vaccines for Corona virus that we've made for a couple of decades. They use the same techniques but with different pieces of this virus. There was a ton of work done for SARS and that is very closely related. They had already gotten to the point of testing that one in primates successfully. I'm an old duffer now I guess but man the new genetic mapping they can do to identify and isolate the antigens of a virus make this whole deal so much faster and safer.

IF I read that article correctly, many of the delays were due to regulatory issues. IF that is true, many of those regulatory issues were waived with Operation Warp Speed.

All you have to do to get people to line up for the vaccine is to promote the fact that it makes "others safer" and refusing one is a "selfish act".

Expand on what we have managed to build.

No shirt, no shoes, no service went to

No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service

To be soon followed by

No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no vaccine, no service.

Easy.
I don't think they care about the shoes or shirt anymore.
My 80s reference. No shoes, no shirt....no dice. Learn it, know it, live it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT