ADVERTISEMENT

USC-UCLA

ckriley

Assistant Head Coach
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles
Good lord, Nebraska needs a homerun hire at HC. I don't even mean by name. I just mean someone who can bring the program back. Because these two teams will likely be in NU's division, if divisions still exist when they join. But even if they're not, just the fact that these two teams will be in the league means Nebraska needs a serious upgrade in talent across the board.

SC-UCLA have some dudes out there. Mostly on offense, but most of them will be playing on Sundays. Hope the B1G is ready.

It is hard to tell whether both teams are running up and down the field because they have "dudes" and how much it is the players play within a system created by good coaches, which leads to confidence and they appear highly motivated. Look at all the after contact those guys are doing, they refuse to go down and squeeze every yard possible out of the plays. Both those teams are everything Nebraska isn't right now.

Watching sCUm get raced by Washington. Huskies looking like a well oiled machine against a team that's, well, not a lost worse than us(that hurt to type and they'd prob still beat us)
Man though, anytime I can watch sCUm get a drizzly, oily doo-doo placed right between their eyes is a good time.

Reactions: headcard
I bet both of these teams are desperately scrambling to find new players so they can adjust to the B1G. Don't they know this isn't how you beat Minnesota and Wisconsin?

Watching this game makes me realize how far away 7th and 16th ranked teams are from a team ranked somewhere in the 120’s (us).

Frost is an Fn pos how much he mismanaged this program here. He may have been a great player but that is it. He is such a pathetic coach I wouldn’t trust him coaching a Junior high squad even.

Reactions: Dylman
It’s sort of fascinating he was such a good player yet such a terrible coach.
Yesterday was great watching games all day, I could see how far we’ve fallen. Just fell apart on national TV.

Watching this game makes me realize how far away 7th and 16th ranked teams are from a team ranked somewhere in the 120’s (us).

Frost is an Fn pos how much he mismanaged this program here. He may have been a great player but that is it. He is such a pathetic coach I wouldn’t trust him coaching a Junior high squad even.

Looking forward to the Iowa game.
GBR! USA # 1

From the stories out there. He was a POS of a person as well.

Frost was a good coach at UCF. It's like he forgot how to coach as soon as he came to Nebraska.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
It is hard to tell whether both teams are running up and down the field because they have "dudes" and how much it is the players play within a system created by good coaches, which leads to confidence and they appear highly motivated. Look at all the after contact those guys are doing, they refuse to go down and squeeze every yard possible out of the plays. Both those teams are everything Nebraska isn't right now.
There’s some amazing speed on the field and yet DeBoer competes with those guys

Coaching is a big plus but having quality players is even larger. We need more speed and more talent.

Reactions: konaki
Coaching is a big plus but having quality players is even larger. We need more speed and more talent.
Charlie McBride was asked on the radio what NU needed to do to win. He said get bigger and faster. Liked Hausman on D but not much else about the front 7. We’ve got safety sized guys playing linebacker and linebacker sized guys playing DE. And people wonder why our front 7 get pushed around

One fact most are forgetting, you put warm weather college teams into a cold weather environment and things even out. USC will adjust better to the BIG than UCLA in the beginning but both will need to adjust to those late October and November temperature's in the BIG.

I remember when I was a kid who moved from Nebraska to California in the early spring I was surprised how many kids thought temperatures in the low sixties was freezing and had to bundle up in coats and long pants. Remember most of those recruits for these two schools are from SoCal and the west coast, some have never been in snow.

I think it's going to be an eye opening experience for these two schools just as it was and is for Nebraska fans. The BIG is the most physical college football conference in America hands down. This is just my opinion that I'm sure that is not shared by all and I'm O.K. with it.

Chip actually adapted his offense.

And for people who think Rhule would be a bad hire because of his NFL record....Chip was 2-14 with the 49ers.
Failure in the NFL isn’t a black mark for college when you consider Kelly, Saban, Meyer, etc.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Failure in the NFL isn’t a black mark for college when you consider Kelly, Saban, Meyer, etc.
Spurrier, Wilkinson come to mind also and than again you have Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer who did tremendously well..

Good lord, Nebraska needs a homerun hire at HC. I don't even mean by name. I just mean someone who can bring the program back. Because these two teams will likely be in NU's division, if divisions still exist when they join. But even if they're not, just the fact that these two teams will be in the league means Nebraska needs a serious upgrade in talent across the board.

SC-UCLA have some dudes out there. Mostly on offense, but most of them will be playing on Sundays. Hope the B1G is ready.

USC fired entire staff last year. One year turnarounds are possible with the right guy. LSU example also.

USC fired entire staff last year. One year turnarounds are possible with the right guy. LSU example also.
Who are we going to poach? Day? Saban? Who would have thought Kelly could win right away. The KEY was talent at the schools they went to. We don’t have that kind of talent. Not even close

Who are we going to poach? Day? Saban? Who would have thought Kelly could win right away. The KEY was talent at the schools they went to. We don’t have that kind of talent. Not even close
Exactly. It’s just a different era now. When blue bloods like Oklahoma and Notre Dame can lose good coaches to USC and LSU, that’s a pretty big sign of where big name, established coaches want to go.

They want to go where there is an abundance of talent and they don’t have to recruit hard. Everyone knew USC just needed a coach. Once they had one they went from 4-8 to 10-1 and no. 5 in the nation.

That’s why I was skeptical about Rhule or Meyer from the start. Rhule has flat out said he doesn’t like to recruit. That’s why he went to Baylor.

That’s also why I think Fickell ends up at Texas or FSU.

It’s not all lost for NU, I just think it’s gonna have to be a coach that few have ever heard of who ends up being a homerun hire.

Sort of like Devaney 😊

Reactions: dinglefritz
Exactly. It’s just a different era now. When blue bloods like Oklahoma and Notre Dame can lose good coaches to USC and LSU, that’s a pretty big sign of where big name, established coaches want to go.

They want to go where there is an abundance of talent and they don’t have to recruit hard. Everyone knew USC just needed a coach. Once they had one they went from 4-8 to 10-1 and no. 5 in the nation.

That’s why I was skeptical about Rhule or Meyer from the start. Rhule has flat out said he doesn’t like to recruit. That’s why he went to Baylor.

That’s also why I think Fickell ends up at Texas or FSU.

It’s not all lost for NU, I just think it’s gonna have to be a coach that few have ever heard of who ends up being a homerun hire.

Sort of like Devaney 😊
Rhule saying that is NOT a red flag for me with Rhule. NO head coach really likes to recruit. That does NOT mean that they still can’t be good at it. It’s one of the have to jobs of college coaching. NOBODY actually likes sucking up to 18 year olds.

I bet both of these teams are desperately scrambling to find new players so they can adjust to the B1G. Don't they know this isn't how you beat Minnesota and Wisconsin?
The post about how last Saturday was the first time since 1963 that 5 matchups in the B1G (Big 10 then) all had teams who failed to score 20 points really got to me.

Nebraska's game was obviously no exception.

These games are so unentertaining, unless you are a person who, for whatever reason, gets off on shitty offenses. And it's basically like that every week, sans games featuring OSU and Michigan.

SnarlingTangibleAssassinbug-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
The post about how last Saturday was the first time since 1963 that 5 matchups in the B1G (Big 10 then) all had teams who failed to score 20 points really got to me.

Nebraska's game was obviously no exception.

These games are so unentertaining, unless you are a person who, for whatever reason, gets off on shitty offenses. And it's basically like that every week, sans games featuring OSU and Michigan.

SnarlingTangibleAssassinbug-max-1mb.gif
Michigan can’t play offense, either

Reactions: MissoulaHusker

Don't really think he cared that much for NU. He left the state when he graduated HS when NU was hitting on all cylinders, didn't stand up for his girl friend when he did come back, then didn't do his job at all when the NU coach. Just saw it as a payday.

He wasn’t a great player

He is & has always been a diva

He should be booed loudly every day for hours on end for the rest of his miserable life

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Frost was a good coach at UCF. It's like he forgot how to coach as soon as he came to Nebraska.
Was frost a good coach at ucf? Or did Milton make frost? Looking back I think it was Milton because frost only had 1 winning season his first year he was 6-6 I believe the next he went unbeaten that’s it

He wasn’t a great player

He is & has always been a diva

He should be booed loudly every day for hours on end for the rest of his miserable life
I recall he played really well in 1997 (especially against Washington when many thought we would lose that one).

But today I’ll remember him as the worst Coach at Nebraska and boo him whenever he is mentioned.

Last edited:
Don't really think he cared that much for NU. He left the state when he graduated HS when NU was hitting on all cylinders, didn't stand up for his girl friend when he did come back, then didn't do his job at all when the NU coach. Just saw it as a payday.
That might have been because our boorish fans booed him back in 1997. Perhaps his bad coaching was karma for the way fans treated him as a player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT