ADVERTISEMENT

USC RB Markese Stepp

Was a 4 star 9th ranked RB in the 2018 class. Originally committed to Notre Dame, then decided on USC instead.

Was a 4 star 9th ranked RB in the 2018 class. Originally committed to Notre Dame, then decided on USC instead.

He played at Indianapolis Cathedral, a dominant program in Indiana, which plays the top state programs, as well as top teams in Ohio. The school has numerous championships in Indiana’s second largest class. Enrollment would make it a Class A school in Nebraska.

He committed to ND and both parties were very pleased. ND had to back out when he failed to meet an academic course requirement, to the disappointment of both sides.

At SC, he had one outstanding game against ND. His recent per carry average has been subpar, but SC recruiting on the OL has not been strong, particularly as it relates to run blockers.

My dad has a close friend who coached high school football in Indianapolis for over 40 years. That guy said that Stepp is both a good player and a good person.

He played at Indianapolis Cathedral, a dominant program in Indiana, which plays the top state programs, as well as top teams in Ohio. The school has numerous championships in Indiana’s second largest class. Enrollment would make it a Class A school in Nebraska.

He committed to ND and both parties were very pleased. ND had to back out when he failed to meet an academic course requirement, to the disappointment of both sides.

At SC, he had one outstanding game against ND. His recent per carry average has been subpar, but SC recruiting on the OL has not been strong, particularly as it relates to run blockers.

My dad has a close friend who coached high school football in Indianapolis for over 40 years. That guy said that Stepp is both a good player and a good person.

I’m from indiana and love our HS Football.

Cathedral was the second best team in the state.
Center Grove was one of the best teams we’ve had ever as a state. Huge OL, amazing DL, and a really good QB. They just wore everyone out. However, they had an awesome ball game with Cathedral, barely pulled winning at the end

What team did your dad’s friend coach for?

I’m from indiana and love our HS Football.

Cathedral was the second best team in the state.
Center Grove was one of the best teams we’ve had ever as a state. Huge OL, amazing DL, and a really good QB. They just wore everyone out. However, they had an awesome ball game with Cathedral, barely pulled winning at the end

What team did your dad’s friend coach for?
Multiple teams as an assistant: North Central, Noblesville, Zionsville, 1 or 2 others, and sometime during the 80s he was the head coach at Pike.

Neb has far more RBs on their roster than any other divisional team

seems like quite an indictment on recruiting when they are after USCs third string RB

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
I assume Mills is gone then. We already have a big back in Scott III and Yant (walk-on)...I really hope Sevion stays healthy as we will need him.

I assume Mills is gone then. We already have a big back in Scott III and Yant (walk-on)...I really hope Sevion stays healthy as we will need him.
Scott has a solid frame but I would not call him a huge back. Guy sounds solid. If we commit to a power running game he could have chance to be productive. I am with u though I feel like at some point we just have to hit with what we have in program rather than always bringing someone in. Would love to see sevion, Scott, and rhamir all be productive next season

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yant does not compare to this kid an Scott is not a huge guy. He's built like a brick sh## house but he's not this big. We could use them both. We had trouble fielding a healthy back this past year.

Just stfu. A true freshman kid on USC, running back U, being 3rd string is not an indictment of his talent. Man your act gets old. Troll.

he’s not a true freshman - 2021 will be his 4th year of playing

man get your facts straight

You sure about that Clark? Just a quick look and Iowa, Minny, and Wisc all had equal or more.

Unless you are including walk-ons, which would be really dumb. So you probably did.

of course you include walk ons - they are on the roster - Neb carries at least double the walkons of almost every power 5 program -why wouldn’t you include them?

Neb has far more RBs on their roster than any other divisional team

seems like quite an indictment on recruiting when they are after USCs third string RB
Were you not one of the people, that not too long ago were complaining saying we needed to grab more RBs because what we had wasn’t proven? I mean seriously starting to see the trend of nothing that HCSF does is good in your opinion....

I would personally venture to say that HCSF is trying to learn from prior mistakes, meaning he decided not to go after Burrow when all we had was Unproven QB talent, and look how that panned out, now we are looking at a similar situation but at RB with unproven RB depth. I do think it’s a little of an over correction as I do think we need to let your young guys have their chance to shine... I think we have some studs there, but they just need their time with the rock in their hands, so they can show what they can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia
of course you include walk ons - they are on the roster - Neb carries at least double the walkons of almost every power 5 program -why wouldn’t you include them?

Because walk-on <> scholarship players.

But you know that and just want to make a point about walk-ons.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Were you not one of the people, that not too long ago were complaining saying we needed to grab more RBs because what we had wasn’t proven? I mean seriously starting to see the trend of nothing that HCSF does is good in your opinion....

I would personally venture to say that HCSF is trying to learn from prior mistakes, meaning he decided not to go after Burrow when all we had was Unproven QB talent, and look how that panned out, now we are looking at a similar situation but at RB unproven RB depth. I do think it’s a little of an over correction as I do think we need to let your young guys have their chance to shine... I think we have some studs there, but they just need their time with the rock in their hands, so they can show what they can do.
He's not a Nebraska fan. Just a basement dwelling troll with no life.

I would personally venture to say that HCSF is trying to learn from prior mistakes, meaning he decided not to go after Burrow when all we had was Unproven QB talent, and look how that panned out, now we are looking at a similar situation but at RB unproven RB depth. I do think it’s a little of an over correction as I do think we need to let your young guys have their chance to shine... I think we have some studs there, but they just need their time with the rock in their hands, so they can show what they can do.
We can all look at Burrow and say that most likely that was a mistake not going after him. That said, he struggled that first year at LSU and our O line for what would have been his second year at NU absolutely sucked. He would have gotten killed and be selling life insurance right now instead of having been a #1 draft pick. The ONLY game where Burrow looked like a guy we should pursue was mop up duty at OSU against NU in that blow out. Who the hell could have predicted what he did his senior year at LSU?

Frost has always been willng to try to recruit over existing players whether it was with high schoolers or transfers. A case in point is Oliver Martin getting the PT he did this year right after being declared eligible. Boe Wilson getting benched for a younger player is another example. He tried starting Luke for Adrian. He's exploring all options to improve game day performance of our team. Frankly, while I love Luke's attitude and athleticism, I would like to see us go after a kid with proven success playing QB at a high level over either D-1 or big class high school competition. I'm a little concerned about the quality of our QB depth from a passing game perspective.

We can all look at Burrow and say that most likely that was a mistake not going after him. That said, he struggled that first year at LSU and our O line for what would have been his second year at NU absolutely sucked. He would have gotten killed and be selling life insurance right now instead of having been a #1 draft pick. The ONLY game where Burrow looked like a guy we should pursue was mop up duty at OSU against NU in that blow out. Who the hell could have predicted what he did his senior year at LSU?

Frost has always been willng to try to recruit over existing players whether it was with high schoolers or transfers. A case in point is Oliver Martin getting the PT he did this year right after being declared eligible. Boe Wilson getting benched for a younger player is another example. He tried starting Luke for Adrian. He's exploring all options to improve game day performance of our team. Frankly, while I love Luke's attitude and athleticism, I would like to see us go after a kid with proven success playing QB at a high level over either D-1 or big class high school competition. I'm a little concerned about the quality of our QB depth from a passing game perspective.
oh I absolutely agree with what you said here,in fact I have mirrored everything you just put down about Burrow playing here, I was purely using that as a situation of pointing out where HCSF has been chastised for not going after him by a lot of fans. But again I see it the same way you do, there was no way of knowing that Burrow would do what he did, and at the time of his transfer no, he wasn’t better then what he had on our roster.

What I would contest is that HCSF has shown that desire to recruit over, especially through the transfer portal... but I’m not going to dive into that right now because right now he is doing just that...

Reactions: red scowl
oh I absolutely agree with what you said here,in fact I have mirrored everything you just put down about Burrow playing here, I was purely using that as a situation of pointing out where HCSF has been chastised for not going after him by a lot of fans. But again I see it the same way you do, there was no way of knowing that Burrow would do what he did, and at the time of his transfer no, he wasn’t better then what he had on our roster.

What I would contest is that HCSF has shown that desire to recruit over, especially through the transfer portal... but I’m not going to dive into that right now because right now he is doing just that...
I think they've looked at guys and tried to recruit over existing guys via transfers in the past be it JUCO or otherwise. There's a difference though obviously between trying and doing. We've added O linemen, D linemen, linebackers, WRs, a TE but no QBs. I think our DB recruiting has been good enough to maybe forego having to do that but right now I don't like the looks of our backup situation at QB. It would be nice to go out and find a guy who maybe has lit it up at an FCS school with the kind of skills Frost wants for his offense. I'm just not sold on what I've seen from Luke at QB and Smothers is a question mark as well. Forget about Haarberg for at least a couple of years.

Reactions: Clemke32
He only had 8 carries less than the #1 back and has averaged over 5 ypc for his career. This would be a very solid pickup.
I would guess that a lot of those carries were in short yardage situations against a stacked box as well given his stature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT