ADVERTISEMENT

USC is gonna get absolutely destroyed in the B1G

ckriley

Assistant Head Coach
Nov 29, 2007
Los Angeles
Holy shit. I mean, not even close. I know there are a number of Husker fans who don't like the B1G or still like to make fun of the conference for whatever reason, but not only are they about to have two teams in the playoff, but they are going to straight murder USC when they enter the conference.

Michigan, Ohio St.*, Wisconsin, PSU and maybe even NU depending on the kind of offense Rhule installs, is just going to go in dry on them. And I say that as a USC fan (second favorite team).

We saw it last week in the UM/OSU game and now with this game. You can have all the talent in the world. But nothing replaces getting smacked in the mouth.

*OSU was a lot like USC. They were more talented than Michigan, but Michigan just murdered them at the LOS.

Holy shit. I mean, not even close. I know there are a number of Husker fans who don't like the B1G or still like to make fun of the conference for whatever reason, but not only are they about to have two teams in the playoff, but they are going to straight murder USC when they enter the conference.

Michigan, Ohio St.*, Wisconsin, PSU and maybe even NU depending on the kind of offense Rhule installs, is just going to go in dry on them. And I say that as a USC fan (second favorite team).

We saw it last week in the UM/OSU game and now with this game. You can have all the talent in the world. But nothing replaces getting smacked in the mouth.

*OSU was a lot like USC. They were more talented than Michigan, but Michigan just murdered them at the LOS.
I remember my first beer.

Would have liked to have seen USC in over OSU. Oh well. Georgia is probably going to stomp everyone at any rate.

Reactions: jsachisler
They’ll have Penn State-esque success I imagine.

No doubt they’d tear through the West, but there will likely be a divide between them and the top dogs.

I also believe Lincoln Riley may never have a QB as talented as Caleb Williams again. Could be recency bias, but he is the first one of his QBs I’ve seen that looks like he could be elite at the next level. Special talent

As far as the “B1G fans think the division is better than it is”; yes and no. The B1G doesn’t have caliber of teams that will win the natty, or compete for it each year. What the B1G does have is a tremendous advantage on the OL/DL compared to PAC/Big12/ACC. Quick look at the best OL/DL playing NFL details this much, and it is very difficult to overcome a disadvantage on the line of scrimmage unless you’re an elite team.

Iowa has basically been a total shitter school that maintains decent success because of this. Same goes for Northwestern, every other year. Further, it wears a team down to be beaten up on the line each week. Make no mistake, TCU is an 8-4/9-3 team in the B1G.

Last edited:

No doubt they’d tear through the West, but there will likely be a divide between them and the top dogs.

I also believe Lincoln Riley may never have a QB as talented as Caleb Williams again. Could be recency bias, but he is the first one of his QBs I’ve seen that looks like he could be elite at the next level. Special talent

As far as the “B1G fans think the division is better than it is”; yes and no. The B1G doesn’t have caliber of teams that will win the natty, or compete for it each year. What the B1G does have is a tremendous advantage on the OL/DL compared to PAC/Big12/ACC. Quick look at the best OL/DL playing NFL details this much, and it is very difficult to overcome a disadvantage on the line of scrimmage unless you’re an elite team.

Iowa has basically been a total shitter school that maintains decent success because of this. Same goes for Northwestern, every other year. Further, it wears a team down to be beaten up on the line each week. Make no mistake, TCU is an 8-4/9-3 team in the B1G.
they won't have division in the big when usc and ucla join, hopefully they have rotateing pods, I could see stanford, wash and oregon join...20 teams and the west coast have their pod of 5 teams...then they play another pod one year then rotate, etc..so that would be 9 conferance games.

it would make sence for travel, rivalries, fairness, etc...

caleb is the best college player, I think...but I think all that running round he does would get him hurt in the nfl.
they like a qb that can run for a first down in the nfl..but you have to have a nfl arm first...if your going to make it longer then 2 to 3 years

they won't have division in the big when usc and ucla join, hopefully they have rotateing pods, I could see stanford, wash and oregon join...20 teams and the west coast have their pod of 5 teams...then they play another pod one year then rotate, etc..so that would be 9 conferance games.

caleb is the best college player, I think...but I think all that running round he does would get him hurt in the nfl.
they like a qb that can run for a first down in the nfl..but you have to have a nfl arm first...if your going to make it longer then 2 to 3 years
Only way the B1G goes to 20 is if they can get Notre Dame to join.

I agree. Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State would likely beat TCU. Whether or not they finish 9-3 or 8-4 depends on whether they have to face all of them in a season.

Only way the B1G goes to 20 is if they can get Notre Dame to join.
yeah, nd would be the 20th team, they just need someone more trust worthy then michigan to tell them, they are leaveing 750 million on the table with the acc contract, and that should be cleared up.
dr.tom should give them a call.

A lot of Oklahoma fans seem to be acting like they saw this loss coming and loving that Utah beat them by this much. They are saying things like "Yeah this is typical Lincoln Riley failing in big games because he is all offense, no defense. " And others calling Riley "Ryan Day 2.0" Great regular seasons but can't win the big games. I don't think that will change much once they get to the Big Ten.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I think there will be an adjustment for the two California schools this I have no doubt. These two schools will have to factor in colder weather and longer travel at certain times during the season something they don't do right now. I live in SoCal and people here get cold when it's in the sixties during the day and fifties at night in the fall and winter.

The issue of divisions in the B1G will be discussed/decided during the upcoming Spring meetings.

Reactions: redwine65
I think there will be an adjustment for the two California schools this I have no doubt. These two schools will have to factor in colder weather and longer travel at certain times during the season something they don't do right now. I live in SoCal and people here get cold when it's in the sixties during the day and fifties at night in the fall and winter.
Interested in big ten scheduling to see if USC-UCLA away games are more frequent in sept - oct with home games in Nov

The issue of divisions in the B1G will be discussed/decided during the upcoming Spring meetings.
ACC next year is no longer going to have divisions also..
Don’t know what the SEC does but they first need to start playing 9 conference games like everyone else..

If the AD’s decide to have divisions they would move Purdue over to the East..
Purdue and Indiana being in separate divisions has been the reason for this ridiculous cross division rivalries which they better Kabash them when UCLA and USC enter..

Interested in big ten scheduling to see if USC-UCLA away games are more frequent in sept - oct with home games in Nov
This is one positive for Nebraska, they really don't have any air travel longer than 3 hours but the two Ca and the schools back east have to travel for five hours. You know the two schools can't play all their home games in November they can't avoid the cold and snow. USC and UCLA only on occasion ventured to states with frigid weather and once they did it factored into their play, but they will eventually adjust. It's a good selling point for them to tell recruits that playing in the BIG will get them use to playing in the NFL.

Yup, Riley's not going to have a Caleb Williams routinely. They don't look special to me outside of him.

Not sure I agree... they are bad on defense but as long as you can score 41 points a game like they average they will be fine because USC will start getting stud defenders to go along with the skill guys... i want to see them play in the snow

That Utah team is good, but Wisconsin and Iowa have routinely had teams just as talented and tough as them. Illinois and Minnesota aren't as talented, but just as hard nosed. I'm confident Nebraska under Rhule will field teams as good as Utah fairly soon. It will not be a cake walk for the California teams.

That Utah team is good, but Wisconsin and Iowa have routinely had teams just as talented and tough as them. Illinois and Minnesota aren't as talented, but just as hard nosed. I'm confident Nebraska under Rhule will field teams as good as Utah fairly soon. It will not be a cake walk for the California teams.
I don’t remember io_ay with Ferentz ever having that good of offense except for the Brian Banks QB the team in 2002 that’s the only time they had a explosive offense the rest of the teams never were even close as good as Utah offense..

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Cold weather is overblown. They're football players not social media influencers. They also play at Oregon, Washington, Utah, Colorado.

• Haha

did Lincoln Riley not coach Jalen Hurts?

or did you just not think he had the makings of an elite QB at the next level?

and if the B1G has such an advantage in the trenches, and it's so difficult to overcome that disadvantage "unless you're an elite team", why does the conference boast a sub-.500 all-time bowl record?

iowa doesn't "maintain decent success", they don't play anybody. their best win over the last 5 years is beating a 7-6 pennst team.

and if the B1G has such an advantage in the trenches, and it's so difficult to overcome that disadvantage "unless you're an elite team", why does the conference boast a sub-.500 all-time bowl record?

iowa doesn't "maintain decent success", they don't play anybody. their best win over the last 5 years is beating a 7-6 pennst team.
1) Caleb Williams looks to be much better at this point in his career than Jalen Hurts did. And yes, Jalen Hurts development in the NFL was a surprise to many.

2) because bottom-feeders like Indiana and Rutgers and Northwestern still sneak into bowls against SEC teams like Mississippi and Auburn who should have a clear talent advantage over them

3) winning record each of the past 10 years = decent success

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_

Remember watching that game. Penn State would have beaten Iowa pretty handily if their starting QB haven't gone down. Think PSU was up by a couple of touchdowns when that happened. Iowa lucked out and their lovely fans were booing injured players throughout the game for slowing down their "mighty" and "fast paced" offense. Was a pathetic game all around.

Penn State went 7-6 instead of winning 9 or 10 games because Franklin is an idiot and wouldn't pull his QB when it was clear he was playing hurt throughout the year. Not that it matters just an observation, lol. Being in PA I got to see quite a bit of the Nittany Lions.

Last edited:
Utah is damn good on the lines and good at skill positions. But they are hard nosed and play that way all the time. U$C had several players making business decisions as that game started to get more and more physical and the scoreboard changed over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT