ADVERTISEMENT

USC and UCLA will come in as full members

we were looking for a place with texas and 5 big 12 teams looking to join the pac.
not the big ten trying to sink the pac, with 60% of their tv market.
different leverage..

we were on the the last big ten helicopter leaving kabul..not alot of time for bartering

we were looking for a place with texas and 5 big 12 teams looking to join the pac.
not the big ten trying to sink the pac, with 60% of their tv market.
different leverage..

we were on the the last big ten helicopter leaving kabul..not alot of time for bartering

Leverage has never been a topic with the B1G. It's all about equal share at the table; and Nebraska, Rutgers & Maryland bought in to the conference. All existing members had to buy in to the BTN - but nooooo, just give USC & UCLA full membership.

Kevin Warren with another skid mark on his B1G resume.

USC and UCLA will come in on a new contract where the Los Angeles market will certainly up the price. I think Nebraska joined when the Big10 was in the middle of a contract, so it would be less money for the remainder of the teams.
So getting a full share is not a problem IMO. However, I think that USC and UCLA should pay into the Big10 Network like the rest of the teams had to.

It is what it is. No use crying over the history. The B1G certainly is stronger with USC/UCLA, the conference share money will be top notch for all teams and Nebraska's future in a durable conference is secure. That's what matters. Now if we were in the shoes of say Kansas State, Iowa State or Colorado for example we'd have something to complain about. They'd gladly trade places with us.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I tried to care about this, but couldn't get there.
Same. I remember when Colorado moving to the pac-10 was praised as a good move because they were such a good cultural fit with the Coasters. Like USC and UCLA are a cultural fit for the Big 10? Money is green. End of story. They bring a lot to the table.

How is anyone really upset at this? We were in a completely different set of circumstances. This is like getting upset that a comparable house up the street sold for more money that what you sold yours for, but you sold yours a decade ago.
Good analogy. "Nebraska-Maryland-Rutgers" vs "USC-UCLA" is just not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The current metro area population of Los Angeles in 2022 is 12,488,000
Current population of Nebraska is just under 2 million. There is a reason they were brought in as full members.

And still can't draw 2M fans to watch their games. Impressive!

However, I think that USC and UCLA should pay into the Big10 Network like the rest of the teams had to.

Yep.

And still can't draw 2M fans to watch their games. Impressive!

Yep.
You are definitely not wrong. I just think USC and UCLA had huge leverage and said "We join as full members or GFY." In this arms race era it was no time for the B1G to argue over nickels and dimes (or millions). In the end it looks like Nebraska will benefit along with every other B1G member, but hopefully this spells the end of us getting bent over by the conference regularly. But probably not.

You are definitely not wrong. I just think USC and UCLA had huge leverage and said "We join as full members or GFY." In this arms race era it was no time for the B1G to argue over nickels and dimes (or millions). In the end it looks like Nebraska will benefit along with every other B1G member, but hopefully this spells the end of us getting bent over by the conference regularly. But probably not.

Like I said above, leverage has never been a topic before within the B1G. It's been an equal partnership between all members. Tom Osborne rammed that in our ears when all of this went down for Nebraska years ago & it was echoed by all B1G schools, fans and those that cover the conference...

But now, it's different!? Yikes.

USC & UCLA weren't going to the SEC. Never, ever would either school - in their mind - stoop to that level. The leverage was with the B1G as they had no other options to increase their revenue stream.

Reactions: mgbreis
yeah but we dont have to win any more to fund our entire athletic program and then some. we have made it to the football welfare state. relax and enjoy the increase in our monthly checks.

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
USC and UCLA will come in on a new contract where the Los Angeles market will certainly up the price. I think Nebraska joined when the Big10 was in the middle of a contract, so it would be less money for the remainder of the teams.
So getting a full share is not a problem IMO. However, I think that USC and UCLA should pay into the Big10 Network like the rest of the teams had to.
That is a good explanation. Thanks. Midcontract impacts peoples planned budgets

How is anyone really upset at this? We were in a completely different set of circumstances. This is like getting upset that a comparable house up the street sold for more money that what you sold yours for, but you sold yours a decade ago.
Your analogy is somewhat on And maybe somewhat off, of course there is more money a decade later , Nebraska came in when the media contract was in the middle of time, UCLA and USC will come into a newly negotiated contract, the question that nobody probably can answer if they came in when the old contract was still going would they come full partners, if the still would then Nebraska did get screwed.!

Very good point. Looks like perfect timing for everyone 👌

Here's what getting USC and UCLA did for the rest of the BIG schools: All members of the BIG will soon get an estimated 100 million each once the new agreement is reached with networks. As it stands now a full share at the BIG TEN conference is around 56 million so Nebraska will more than double it's share and if ND comes in you can up that total to 120 to130 million for a full share.

The Nebraska's athletic dept. will be set for a long time and even though people will always donate funds to the athletic department it won't be as critical for the department to ask for handouts. This is how you win the war in college football, cash to spend on upgrades that other conferences can't touch.

Be thankful Nebraska got into a conference that is going to allow Nebraska to be relevant and continue to be a national brand for a long time.
For all the fire the coach people out there this increase will allow Nebraska to fire and hire with out much hesitation, it really frees up the AD to do what is necessary.

Now it's onto football and let the chips fall where they may and may good fortune favor Nebraska.

Last edited:
Leverage has never been a topic with the B1G. It's all about equal share at the table; and Nebraska, Rutgers & Maryland bought in to the conference. All existing members had to buy in to the BTN - but nooooo, just give USC & UCLA full membership.

Kevin Warren with another skid mark on his B1G resume.
A bit surprising to me as well, but something to consider. Since the Big Ten presidents voted to not play in 2020 and then had a shorten scheduled when forced by Nebraska, Iowa and Ohio State to play, the conference lost a lot of money and FOX stepped in and bought a lot more equity in the BTN from the schools and as a result the conference no longer owns a controlling share in the company. So that gave FOX a lot of power over the conference to do stuff like adding these two schools as full members.

A bit surprising to me as well, but something to consider. Since the Big Ten presidents voted to not play in 2020 and then had a shorten scheduled when forced by Nebraska, Iowa and Ohio State to play, the conference lost a lot of money and FOX stepped in and bought a lot more equity in the BTN from the schools and as a result the conference no longer owns a controlling share in the company. So that gave FOX a lot of power over the conference to do stuff like adding these two schools as full members.
The networks have "power" over college football by virtue of the payments they make for media rights contracts. ESPN also forced Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC because ESPN was losing a lot of money on the standalone Texas Longhorn network and wanted it merged into the SEC. Don't think that the arrogant Texas academics were too happy with landing in the SEC but money talked. And Oklahoma had to tag along to survive. The Big 12 midgets were left behind and Texas had no qualms about dumping them.

Money is the name of the game and these days media contracts are the biggest driver of money.

Wow!

I had no idea this happened. Should be never-ending front page news how incompetent, in addition to uncompetitive, our dogsh*t joke of a conference is and has always been

virtue signaling cost us so much monetarily & whatever crumbs that were left reputation-wise

we took the bag way, way too early

Reactions: baseball31ne
The networks have "power" over college football by virtue of the payments they make for media rights contracts. ESPN also forced Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC because ESPN was losing a lot of money on the standalone Texas Longhorn network and wanted it merged into the SEC. Don't think that the arrogant Texas academics were too happy with landing in the SEC but money talked. And Oklahoma had to tag along to survive. The Big 12 midgets were left behind and Texas had no qualms about dumping them.

Money is the name of the game and these days media contracts are the biggest driver of money.
Did you even read what he posted?

FOX literally owns a controlling share of the B1G’s only avenue for increased revenue. The B1G happily gave it up so they could posture about “safety” like emotional little girls

notre dame, the ACC and SEC can hardly breathe they’ve been laughing so hard at our motley-clad league for going on 3 years now

the B1G controls a lot less of its own destiny than the novel you’ve been writing on here implies

there is a 0% chance ND ever joins a conference that isn’t even at the wheel of its own caravan

FOX literally owns a controlling share of the B1G’s only avenue for increased revenue. The B1G happily gave it up so they could posture about “safety” like emotional little girls

notre dame, the ACC and SEC can hardly breathe they’ve been laughing so hard at our motley-clad league for going on 3 years now

the B1G controls a lot less of its own destiny than the novel you’ve been writing on here implies

there is a 0% chance ND ever joins a conference that isn’t even at the wheel of its own caravan
Your hate for the BIG will only bring you down emotionally and I feel sorry you've hitched your wagon to the anti BIG wagon train. In the end money drives people to do what is best for themselves and their schools. Time to let go and understand it's only a matter of time before Notre Dame is a full member of the BIG and the cash will be too much to say no to. The BIG is and will be KING of college football and not even mighty Alabama can stop it.

Your hate for the BIG will only bring you down emotionally and I feel sorry you've hitched your wagon to the anti BIG wagon train. In the end money drives people to do what is best for themselves and their schools. Time to let go and understand it's only a matter of time before Notre Dame is a full member of the BIG and the cash will be too much to say no to. The BIG is and will be KING of college football and not even mighty Alabama can stop it.
This is A+ satire! I am pissing myself after re-reading.

Big ten is the king of college football! LMAO well done, sir! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: konaki
FOX is going to pay $1B to the B1G and a network it already owns 61% of

Absolutely hilarious anyone thinks kevin warren has a clue what’s going on in his own league

we are just along for the ride & somehow money nobody here will ever see a cent of is to be praised on high and never questioned

you lemmings need to wake up

Reactions: baseball31ne

There are multiple media companies bidding on the B1G media rights besides Fox including Apple who wanted to get in after USC/UCLA joined. Fox is NOT the only player for B1G media rights.

Reactions: BleedRed78
There are multiple media companies bidding on the B1G media rights besides Fox including Apple who wanted to get in after USC/UCLA joined.
FOX owns 61% of the BTN

You don’t see that as a potential barrier moving forward?

you think a liberal company like Apple wants to hand FOX hundreds of millions of dollars?

as always, it’s much more complicated than the dudes who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night insist it is

FOX owns 61% of the BTN

you think a liberal company like Apple wants to hand FOX hundreds of millions of dollars?

as always, it’s much more complicated than the dudes who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night insist it is
Let's just wait to see the details of the new media contract and who gets what rights. Although they certainly will be a player, I just don't think Fox/BTN are going to have 100% of the rights but we'll see. Wait shouldn't be too long for the facts since everyone says it will be wrapped up by Labor Day or sooner.

And frankly I don't care who gets what rights as long as two conditions are met: 1) It's a competitive bidding situation and 2) The games are available to easily view across the nation for good fan access.

Let's just wait to see the details of the new media contract and who gets what rights. Although they certainly will be a player, I just don't think Fox/BTN are going to have 100% of the rights but we'll see. Wait shouldn't be too long for the facts since everyone says it will be wrapped up by Labor Day or sooner.
FOX is going to pay itself a splashy headline number that really won’t mean anything except the parrots will have learned a new word

The Big stuck it to N…..again.
B10 Had no choice.
sec was going to let them in as full members. Not a lot of teams left that bring in money to a conference. You have to get as many of those teams as you can.

FOX owns 61% of the BTN

yes Apple and amazon are offering big money. b10 will most likely be on 3 tiers. 1 tier will be fox . 2nd and 3rd tier will most likely be 2 of these 3. CBS, NBC, TURNER. This why the b10 going forward will make more money than sec. Sec is stuck with just espn. Would me amazing if b10 games were on fox, cbs, nbc every week. b10 would put up ratings never seen before

Just to add some facts to the situation with Fox and BTN. When the network launched in 2007 the league owned a 51% controlling ownership, by 2010 Fox had gained the controlling interest 51%

Also tucked away in Fox’s annual report from 2021 was a note that the network had increased “its ownership interest” in the Big Ten Network to approximately 61%. Sources at both Big Ten institutions and Fox confirmed to Extra Points that the Big Ten presidents and chancellors exercised a put clause in year four of a five-year time frame that was part of their original contract with Fox and allowed the league to sell part of its interest back to their network partner. The put clause was in place back in 2007 FWIW.

Clean up on isle 3, king_kong is pissing himself, again. Love me some BIG TEN!
If you love the big ten, you hate Nebraska

there is no world where you can side with both, and from my vantage point, there is literally nothing to love about our woke joke conference

spare me the money bullsh*t. the second we sold out for money we started sucking ass on the field, just like the rest of our B1G brethren

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT