ADVERTISEMENT

Urban's assessment on BTN

Red I 73

All-American
Nov 25, 2007
West Des Moines, Iowa
He said he has concerns about Nebraska's offensive skill level and he doesn't think it's the qb. It's offensive skill players around them. He also said he didn't feel a push off of the line of scrimmage. He said SF is a good play caller but doesn't have the tools to work with.

I'm so happy to see that he is functioning at full capacity and to see that he is fully healthy. Did he text that out, because if he did, it may be erased by now. Is he still teaching character and leadership classes?

Hard to argue if he's saying we're still not there yet at WR and RB. I think we have some guys in the program and I'm disappointed we didn't see them or much of them last week. Win or lose we've GOT to develop these young guys this year. Get em in the fire.

Reactions: TheBeav815
There is no doubt, he is correct about our skill people, based off the OSU game. Our hope is that guys like Manning/Betts/Fleming/Brown can change that.

We surely didn’t see the finished product of 2020 with what we had out there Saturday and going on the wait and see attitude till we can see more of the 4 you mentioned..

After the Illinois/ Ioway games and we’re still trotting out Lewier and Falck and not Manning/ Brown/ Fleming/ Betts it will be time to worry..

Reactions: headcard
He must have been watching a different offensive line than the one I watched. And I think we have some good skill players at running back. They just didn’t get the ball that much. And we have Wandale. The only thing I agree on is WR

Reactions: bshirt73
He must have been watching a different offensive line than the one I watched. And I think we have some good skill players at running back. They just didn’t get the ball that much. And we have Wandale. The only thing I agree on is WR
Wandale got 6 touches IIRC. Not nearly enough but he lost some backfield touches to McCaffrey who played well.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I thought Nebraska’s offensive line got a good push early but struggled later on with protection, but think that was more of an issue with the fact that OSU knew we were behind and could really come at Martinez.

We’ve got to get more out of our wide receivers or this will be a long year. I love that they are using the TE more, but that can’t be all you use or it means we aren’t pushing the ball down field. I don’t see how other teams seem to get young WR on the field early but seems like we can’t. Not sure what the deal is. Is it the “no block, no rock” attitude?

He said he has concerns about Nebraska's offensive skill level and he doesn't think it's the qb. It's offensive skill players around them. He also said he didn't feel a push off of the line of scrimmage. He said SF is a good play caller but doesn't have the tools to work with.
Neb showed a decent line but the offensive skill player talent has to get much, much better...agreed.

That is fair. I agree that the offensive line seemed to be much improved...last year the o-line was poor. Clearly we lack playmakers on offense. Hopefully that will be slightly less evident against lesser opponents.

Reactions: bshirt73
So does Urban know anything about football or not? Sounds like not.
Yeah I think it's pretty well established that Urban Meyer wouldn't know anything about identifying kids who can play and getting them to win. He's not one of the 3 best coaches of the 2000s or anything.

Our objective measures that he's incorrect are what, 17 points?

It's like watching the same thing twice to watch Frost on Saturdays and Nagy on Sundays. Both drawing up plays in the dirt for guys who aren't on their team too often. I'll keep on saying it, a brilliant play on a white board that your guys can't execute on the field is a stupid play to call on Saturdays.

I think Urban hit the nail on the head. Even though our O-line looked pretty good at times, OSU’s D-line was better. I’m terms of WR’s and RB’s, I can barely name a few (I thought our TE’s looked good.). When you run an offense that is similar to everyone else’s, you have to have better athletes and we just don’t. Interesting note: TO didn’t have the better athletes either (overall), but found a ‘formula’ to win in a big way.

Are you kidding me?!? You must be too young to have been around during the TO years. His championship teams absolutely had better athletes than the competition. Prior to his champ run we had better athletes than most of our competition, because we played in a weak conference.

Are you kidding me?!? You must be too young to have been around during the TO years. His championship teams absolutely had better athletes than the competition. Prior to his champ run we had better athletes than most of our competition, because we played in a weak conference.
I’ve probably been around longer than you have. TO had very good ‘skill’ players (Especially when we won the NC’s), if you read my post, I said ‘overall’. TO’s staff was able to take good talent and make them great at their positions. The Florida and So Cal schools routinely had better overall talent (TO had said that himself) than we did. Again, TO figured out the ‘formula’ to take the level of talent that we had and turn it in to winning football. Big credit to McBride as well. Scott needs to find his own ‘formula’ soon.

Reactions: Red I 73
I’ve probably been around longer than you have. TO had very good ‘skill’ players (Especially when we won the NC’s), if you read my post, I said ‘overall’. TO’s staff was able to take good talent and make them great at their positions. The Florida and So Cal schools routinely had better overall talent (TO had said that himself) than we did. Again, TO figured out the ‘formula’ to take the level of talent that we had and turn it in to winning football. Big credit to McBride as well. Scott needs to find his own ‘formula’ soon.

I get that you are saying that the team lacked elite talent (outside the skill positions), but they were extremely well coached. You have a good point. I’m not sure how we can prove that is the case. Clearly we were not able to stockpile talent like the Ohio Sts and Bamas of the world do these days. Still we dominated on the field. We had 5 draft picks in the 95 draft, 6 in 96, and 8 in 97. Most of those picks were 3rd round or later. Through most of the TO years I 100% agree
with your point, I just think you are under valuing the overall talent that they put on the field for that 5-6 year span.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick.Shaw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT