ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on The Herd

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004

Forward to 6:40 - 8:54, Colin and Urban talking about glamour job/great jobs and recruiting. Urban says it starts and ends with recruiting and talked about Florida recruiting while he was there at Florida. He says the Florida recruiting talent is great but under developed and it takes time to develop, they’re developmental players. Within 2 hours of USC campus in LA, Atlanta and the suburbs, and the southeastern part of the country has elite players we need to recruit hard if we want become an elite program. Like the Ohio States, LSU’s. He talks about recruiting and the elite coaches that can recruit the best of the best. Frost don’t need to recruit under developed players, project players, 2-3 star players. We need top 4-5 star players if we want to go to the playoffs. All those teams year in year out that’s been to the playoffs and won the National championship game has all all recruited top 4-5 star talent across the country. No teams with less talent 1,2,3 star or walk on players has been to the championship game.

We aren’t a team that can recruit at that level. We need to develop mid level talent and take advantage of the opportunities we get when we have hi-level talent at the right positions.

Reactions: huskerMNL
If Iowa could land top 20 recruiting classes like Nebraska, Kirk would be winning Big Ten titles. There is no doubt in my mind.

As much flak as we give Iowa for giving Kirk that contract, looks to me like he's worth it....and Kirk has had options, he could have left a long time ago, so he's also loyal on top of being a damn good coach. I like him.

As much flak as we give Iowa for giving Kirk that contract, looks to me like he's worth it....and Kirk has had options, he could have left a long time ago, so he's also loyal on top of being a damn good coach. I like him.

agree .. for all the criticism regarding Iowa ... I think given the support Frost has, Iowa type success will be accepted/celebrated here

as I have pointed out in the past - Ferentz had 3 top 10 teams in his first 6 years - I highly doubt Frost matches this type of early success

agree .. for all the criticism regarding Iowa ... I think given the support Frost has, Iowa type success will be accepted/celebrated here

as I have pointed out in the past - Ferentz had 3 top 10 teams in his first 6 years - I highly doubt Frost matches this type of early success

.....and you know you're never going to wake up one morning and read about a scandal at Iowa either.

If Iowa could land top 20 recruiting classes like Nebraska, Kirk would be winning Big Ten titles. There is no doubt in my mind.
Bullshitt Guy had what 2 or 3 first round TEs on his team with a decent O-line and QB and didnt exactly light the scoreboard up. Do they do a good job of evaluating "their" guys and developing them? Yes.

To act like they dont have talent and Ferentz is running his team with cobbled together with glue and wire and just some kind of genius is crap.

Bullshitt Guy had what 2 or 3 first round TEs on his team with a decent O-line and QB and didnt exactly light the scoreboard up. Do they do a good job of evaluating "their" guys and developing them? Yes.

To act like they dont have talent and Ferentz is running his team with cobbled together with glue and wire and just some kind of genius is crap.

I did not take what he said to mean what you're suggesting here at all. I think you're adding some of your own spice to get there.

I did not take what he said to mean what you're suggesting here at all. I think you're adding some of your own spice to get there.
He said if Kirk could get top 20 classes like Nebraska he would be winning Big 10 titleS. Titles, plural. As in multiple. As in going multiple times and then still beating Ohio St and maybe less likely Penn St or Michigan and all their talent.
To that I said BS. Because I think he already has talent. NFL says recently he's had more talent then us.

He said if Kirk could get top 20 classes like Nebraska he would be winning Big 10 titleS. Titles, plural. As in multiple. As in going multiple times and then still beating Ohio St and maybe less likely Penn St or Michigan and all their talent.
To that I said BS. Because I think he already has talent. NFL says recently he's had more talent then us.

I haven't done the research - but will you please list Iowa's top 20 classes

you can have an NFL picks at TE, OG, and LB and still be an average or slightly better than average team - you need high level talent across the board to have high level succes not a few players here and there

I think he turns kids into NFL talent that may not have otherwise gotten there. His recruiting rankings back that up. I once heard Peter King interviewed on Cowherds show talking about this subject, and Peter brought up a very interesting thought I had never heard of...He said some NFL coaches worry a kid from Iowa has already reached his ceiling because he's been so coached up and developed. Does that sound like somebody who's landing NFL talent every year, or somebody who's developing it? To each their own opinion on the subject, I think you added 2 and 2 and got 6.

Reactions: dckchusker
I haven't done the research - but will you please list Iowa's top 20 classes

you can have an NFL picks at TE, OG, and LB and still be an average or slightly better than average team - you need high level talent across the board to have high level succes not a few players here and there
Probably why he said "If" ?

Forward to 6:40 - 8:54, Colin and Urban talking about glamour job/great jobs and recruiting. Urban says it starts and ends with recruiting and talked about Florida recruiting while he was there at Florida. He says the Florida recruiting talent is great but under developed and it takes time to develop, they’re developmental players. Within 2 hours of USC campus in LA, Atlanta and the suburbs, and the southeastern part of the country has elite players we need to recruit hard if we want become an elite program. Like the Ohio States, LSU’s. He talks about recruiting and the elite coaches that can recruit the best of the best. Frost don’t need to recruit under developed players, project players, 2-3 star players. We need top 4-5 star players if we want to go to the playoffs. All those teams year in year out that’s been to the playoffs and won the National championship game has all all recruited top 4-5 star talent across the country. No teams with less talent 1,2,3 star or walk on players has been to the championship game.
Thank you coach.

Probably why he said "If" ?

the guy is arguing Iowa should have much better results because they produce some NFL talent
I think they outperform their recruiting rankings - and if they had top 20 classes they would have more success than they currently are

I am not questioning the guy who said "if"....

Agree to disagree on this.

To me, talent is talent. Coaches dont create it. They may help a player refine his talent. They may see a guy at a position where others dont and be right. But they dont make a guy a great combination of size, speed and agility.

To me, talent is talent. Coaches dont create it. They may help a player refine his talent. They may see a guy at a position where others dont and be right. But they dont make a guy a great combination of size, speed and agility.
That would be the good Lord who makes a guy with a combination of size, speed and agility.

the guy is arguing Iowa should have much better results because they produce some NFL talent
I think they outperform their recruiting rankings - and if they had top 20 classes they would have more success than they currently are

I am not questioning the guy who said "if"....
Its the lack of skill players on offense. Iowa hasn’t had a RB or WR drafted in almost a decade. The good thing is the talent at the skill positions is really improving and Iowa has a chance to win 10 games this year. The new QB will have all skill guys back next year, so hopefully he is more accurate than Stanley, who left so many yards and points on the board.

Recruiting is sales...

I am not in sales but if I was hiring a sales team to sell...say...cars.

I don't care if they know how a engine works...I care if they can sell cars.

Same in coaching...all those guys at that level can "coach" basically they are all very comparable as to their skills of coach/teaching...so just hire the best salesmen you can.

I don't necessarily agree .. but if your premise is true then Iowa and Wisconsin do a superior job of identifying "under the radar" talent that other schools miss

it's a combination of talent recognition and maximizing that talent (development) - we have 2 schools in the division that do this better than most -- Iowa and Wisconsin

Both of those schools have a system that they recruit to and fairly stable coaching staffs that know those systems, how to recognize talent in that system and how to develop it. They are two of the more successful programs that do more with less. Nebraska did exactly the same thing, albeit with a better coaching staff and system at that time.

Some version of that is the only way forward for places like NEB in the current world of college football. Trying to be a top 10 recruiting school on a consistent, yearly basis is going to be very hard row to hoe, so you have to do more with less and get top 20ish recruiting classes. The top 20ish classes are something NEB can consistently do.

When Nebraska beats Ohio State 55-24 or a top 5 Michigan team let me know. Until then, Kirk probably wins multiple big ten titles if he could land top 15 recruiting classes.

Both of those schools have a system that they recruit to and fairly stable coaching staffs that know those systems, how to recognize talent in that system and how to develop it.

agree ... however the reason they have stable systems and coaching staffs is because they had EARLY success which allowed them to continue on that path ...

Ferentz had 3 top 10 teams in his first 6 years ... this ensured him a lifelong place at Iowa
Alvarez ... year 4 -- Rose Bowl

there were elite seasons fairly early that convinced their administration, boosters and fan base that they were on the correct path

Frost don’t need to recruit under developed players, project players, 2-3 star players. We need top 4-5 star players if we want to go to the playoffs. All those teams year in year out that’s been to the playoffs and won the National championship game has all all recruited top 4-5 star talent across the country..
100% correct we aren't going to win a NC or probably even a BIG10 championship with walkons, 2 and 3 star guys, and a bunch of heart. Sounds magical, but it won't happen. We have to have a team filled with 4 and 5 star kids. The problem is we are not a good team. 3 losing season in a row, and 20 years of mediocrity isn't going to have these type of players flocking here. Those type of players want to win, most don't want to go to a "rebuild" especially one that is located in the middle of the country.
So first order of business, is to establish the right culture and mindset in the players. The way to do that is bring in kids who will work their asses off and go 100% every play. Kids like Wandale, Nelson, Mills. Ideally yes these type of players are 4 and 5 star guys, but right away that is going to be impossible to do. We have to settle for 2 and 3 star, under the radar guys mainly, sprinkled in with a few 4 star guys. Wisc and Iowa have proven with the right mindset and players you don't need a top 5, 10 or 20 class to compete and win games. Doing this should get us consistently to that 8 or 9 win mark. Once we get a few years of that, then I think we slowly start seeing an increase in overall talent.

Reactions: bowlhawk
You aren't going to win a National Championship without having a good amount of 4 and 5 star recruits. History shows that. And it will be hard to convince many of these top recruits to come to Lincoln.

But there's no reason it should take long to become a consistent Top 25 team again. Look at some of the teams that are ranked right now: Oregon, Wisconsin, Utah, Iowa, Minnesota, Boise State, Appalachian State, Navy, Air Force. None of these programs are located in recruiting hotbeds. If we can get back to being a Top 25 program first, then perhaps our tradition and facilities will allow us to land more top recruits. But after the last 2 losing seasons, Frost can no longer sell hope and what he did at UCF. Soon he's going to have to prove he can win at this level.

I don't necessarily agree .. but if your premise is true then Iowa and Wisconsin do a superior job of identifying "under the radar" talent that other schools miss

it's a combination of talent recognition and maximizing that talent (development) - we have 2 schools in the division that do this better than most -- Iowa and Wisconsin
I’d include northwestern in that group, as well

Reactions: jlb321
Just win baby!! Trust me the 4 star guys and and a 5 star every other year want to come here, but they NEED to see a WINNING product again. If Frost got Nebraska to 8, 9, 10 wins this year it would have paid off next year. He has to win and the recruits will follow!

Oregon averaged between 18-23 in the recruiting rankings when it made its run earlier this decade. I believe they were in the playoffs twice...and maybe had one class near the top 10. So no, you don't need elite talent but you need an elite system with good talent or a good system with elite talent...we have neither right now. Frost will devise something that is unique and risky, he will either be fired for it or become a legend...much like T.O.

Reactions: leodisflowers
100% correct we aren't going to win a NC or probably even a BIG10 championship with walkons, 2 and 3 star guys, and a bunch of heart. Sounds magical, but it won't happen. We have to have a team filled with 4 and 5 star kids. The problem is we are not a good team. 3 losing season in a row, and 20 years of mediocrity isn't going to have these type of players flocking here. Those type of players want to win, most don't want to go to a "rebuild" especially one that is located in the middle of the country.
So first order of business, is to establish the right culture and mindset in the players. The way to do that is bring in kids who will work their asses off and go 100% every play. Kids like Wandale, Nelson, Mills. Ideally yes these type of players are 4 and 5 star guys, but right away that is going to be impossible to do. We have to settle for 2 and 3 star, under the radar guys mainly, sprinkled in with a few 4 star guys. Wisc and Iowa have proven with the right mindset and players you don't need a top 5, 10 or 20 class to compete and win games. Doing this should get us consistently to that 8 or 9 win mark. Once we get a few years of that, then I think we slowly start seeing an increase in overall talent.

This all makes sense but I believe you leave out an important aspect. These coaches must show some definite development of their players, making them better than they appear, play above their stars. Where is there proof of that thus far?

I submit when you see players developing for the NFL, that will be a big difference maker. When you read the OWH lost of Midlands in the NFL each week, how many are from Iowa? Several.

Last edited:
Reactions: husker2612
The goal is to get better on the field each year and with that, bring in a higher quality recruiting class to where eventually you're competing with the big boys for their talent. Nebraska has plenty of advantages, it's up to the coaching staff to highlight those advantages to prospective recruits and hopefully get them on the dotted line. Callahan knew the importance of recruiting and showed it could be done.

Improve on the field and use the momentum to improve the following year's recruiting class.

Oregon averaged between 18-23 in the recruiting rankings when it made its run earlier this decade. I believe they were in the playoffs twice...and maybe had one class near the top 10. So no, you don't need elite talent but you need an elite system with good talent or a good system with elite talent...we have neither right now. Frost will devise something that is unique and risky, he will either be fired for it or become a legend...much like T.O.

there have been 24 teams make the CFP - I believe only 3 (oregon/mich state/washington) have made it without elite recruiting

that is 12% of the teams - extreme outliers

Mich St - lost 38-0
Washington lost 24-7
Oregon made the championship game and lost 42-20 to Ohio State's 3rd string QB - Oregon had the heisman trophy winner at QB

your chances for success aren't very high if you constantly need to find the loopholes or the exceptions to the rule in order to succeed

Many on here are finally getting it. From an outsiders perspective, you already have consistent top 25 classes with as many 4 star talent as the rest of the west combined. Now if you can get to the place like Wisconsin and Iowa and develop those players and not lose them to the transfer portal you will make that next leap with on field results (8-10) wins per year. Then you will have a chance to make another leap in recruiting (top 15 classes or so) with your history and newer & upgraded facilities to start competing for B1G championships. It will be a process, guessing 5 years or so because more teams than not in the west are currently in an upward trajectory. Patience is key.

Reactions: Top_Gun_

The definition of elite talent and elite recruiting is kind of subjective in my opinion. These 4 and 5 star ratings given to these kids are done by dudes who are like weathermen, they are wrong about as often as they are right.

It is really tough to marry up that magically combination of having at least 1 elite type of player at each level of your team. By that I mean you have an elite type player at each position. There are a lot of teams out there that can fit that on a couple levels of their team, but not across the board. That is what separates teams from playing for the NC and teams that are getting by and or just playing in a bowl.

Just when you think this won't be yet another thread of the same posters pissing in each other's mouths about whether or not Iowa is very good...

man, that kind of porn is gross. My friend is interested in seeing it though. Do you recommend anything?

Don't kid yourself. Ferentz has gotten some highly ranked kids over the years. As a rule his classes aren't highly ranked but it always seems like he lands some kids who have NFL potential. Fant, cough cough. Iowa's problems have been with finding enough of those guys to beat upper tier teams on a regular basis. They don't have the quality across the board that they need to compete very often for championships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT