ADVERTISEMENT

URBAN MEYER ON REALIGNMENT AND NEBRASKA

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004

Urban is right, we have lost recruiting territories in Texas, California, and other states NU had good recruiting relationships. Recruiting should come first. But we went for the money. Let's see what Frost can do.

Judging results prior to 50+ years of a move is not smart at all. It's nothing more than just content to be employed by publishing results of a conference move when it is not even a "year old" in the big picture. It's really that simple. Kids growing up these days view Nebraska as a Big Ten school and will not have any conceptual understanding of the Big 12.

What you will see take place under Frost is a growing desire of 500 Mile Radius recruits that will want to play for Frost and then push hard for good talent elsewhere.

Urban is right, we have lost recruiting territories in Texas, California, and other states NU had good recruiting relationships. Recruiting should come first. But we went for the money. Let's see what Frost can do.

What everyone is missing; fact # 1, Riley didn't recruit Nebraska " theirs no talent in this state."
He said the same for Texas, He started his campaign in California. That's because he recruited there for Or State. Can you blame him ?, No, but, that's all he knew. Very shallow.So, now Nebraska is in the dog house, we are recruiting everywhere, besides, our home state. It's sad, also, remember
Riley only had a .500 % winning stat in all the yrs he was there; never took a championship with Or State. Some say, " a great friend, not a coach"..
That's it. GBR>

'Texas recruiting ground' is so overrated when it comes to our football program. We have always landed a few kids from there, but it was never a major cornerstone. It has basically been the same while we were in the Big 8, the big 12 and now the BiG TeN.
Agreed. We've had a handful of great players from texas over the years but it's not like we were cherry picking there. We've gotten an equal number of great players from california, florida, New Jersey, Louisiana, etc.

Just off the top of your head, name the best player we've ever gotten out of texas. I think aaron taylor was from there? I know there are others but nobody really stands out.

We also chose conference stability. Don’t forget Colorado and Mizzou were looking to leave before we did. Texass was looking elsewhere and would have repaid the rest of our former Big 8 partners for caving to their demands when the conference was formed, by leaving them out in the cold by going elsewhere. This could have left all to look for spots in the Mountain West or wherever.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the Big 12 could have been great and I didn’t really want to leave, but Texass couldn’t be trusted to be concerned about the conference as a whole. They never wanted a strong conference. They wanted a little pond and to be the big fish.

Agreed. We've had a handful of great players from texas over the years but it's not like we were cherry picking there. We've gotten an equal number of great players from california, florida, New Jersey, Louisiana, etc.

Just off the top of your head, name the best player we've ever gotten out of texas. I think aaron taylor was from there? I know there are others but nobody really stands out.
Turner Gill and Broderick Thomas were ok. Aaron Graham and Taylor. Crap load of kickers (top of head - Brown brothers, Byron Bennett...?)

Turner Gill is the first that comes to mind.

Judging results prior to 50+ years of a move is not smart at all. It's nothing more than just content to be employed by publishing results of a conference move when it is not even a "year old" in the big picture. It's really that simple. Kids growing up these days view Nebraska as a Big Ten school and will not have any conceptual understanding of the Big 12.

What you will see take place under Frost is a growing desire of 500 Mile Radius recruits that will want to play for Frost and then push hard for good talent elsewhere.

The move was reactionary and greed based. If we didn't have the competency and leverage to deal with Texas then what made us think we would be able to deal with OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisky. Those schools are as cut-throat as Texas, have a better history, and have no desire to see us succeed. We have been taken behind the woodshed and PSUed the last decade and find ourselves 6th best in a conference that is very top heavy, with no recruiting whatsoever in the areas that will actually have access to the big 10 network. Instead of bucking up and taking on Texas, and trusting in hard-work and intelligence we jumped for "free money", when in reality we have barely broken into the top 25 in revenue/profit over the last decade. I would feel better if our current systems scaled better to northern weather, but going to the great lakes regions in November to try to win a conference championship with a spread, speed based offense is going to be really tough.

Reactions: cornwoman and cymom
I think what he meant to say is we lost our Coaching staff that could properly educate, train and maintain our culture of internal self motivation to succeed at the highest level.........hard to replace all of that in a few days when you need to let the ones who were not properly vetted to maintain the traditions of the program finish rolling through on easy street.....and start over. Had a lot of high money positions just stealing paychecks under the guise of "coaching and or administration" by accepting positions they weren't qualified to hold (some weaker folk may call it "FIT" just to be "PC"), IMO. - perhaps all contracts have a 30 month "FIT" clause - you know, get OUT withOUT more theft.......instead of all the damn golden parachutes for tricking a garbage AD or misguided president - IMO.

Yeah, Turner Gill would be my first thought. But then again he never made it to the NFL so I guess it depends on how you define it.

I remember a post from a few years ago that talked about the recruits we landed from texass during our time in the big 12. There were a few contributors, but there was a shockingly high percentage of them that turned out to be complete busts and never contributed.

There are a number of factors that led to our current state of misfortune, leaving the big 12 and losing texass recruiting is definitely not one of them.

We never ran from Oklahoma when we couldn't beat them. We continued to work hard until we overcame them. I think we tried that with texass too, but realized that they were playing with a loaded deck and that it would never be possible to win in that circumstance.

Turner Gill and Broderick Thomas were ok. Aaron Graham and Taylor. Crap load of kickers (top of head - Brown brothers, Byron Bennett...?)
Ha! Forgot about Gill, that's a pretty good one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we've never gotten anyone of value out of texas, I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily stand out as "the" state we built our program on. Nebraska has always been a program that has to recruit nationally, there are no hotbeds that we have gained or lost based on conference affiliation. Just looking back at the 94-95 era, we had (I think) 3 starters from New Jersey, 1 from indiana, 2 from missouri, 2 from florida, 1 from california, several from nebraska, 2 from oklahoma, 2 from Arizona......so we have never relied on our conference footprint for recruiting exclusively. I just think the texas connection is a little bit overblown.

Iam confused. We cant recruit california anymore cuz we left the texas 11 + 1. How many games did we play in california then? I agree.......we are screwed.

we had a higher %age of players from N in 1995 than todays roster.
like 58% vs 44%.
i checked the other day for grins.
its pretty lazy, besides tired.
ill give urban a break, with all his health issues...
other than lacking nj recruits, weve hit the same states, too.
took about 5-10 minutes to peruse, and deteemine.

Reactions: jeans15
it does make me wonder if changing coaches every couple years, hurts recruiting a lot. you can get good players from a lot of places. but if you don't build relationships with the high schools over time, Im thinking it can hurt a lot. weather they are in new jersey, florida, texas or california

Reactions: dinglefritz

Rex Burkhead from Plano, TX

Reactions: LBremser
The move was reactionary and greed based. If we didn't have the competency and leverage to deal with Texas then what made us think we would be able to deal with OSU, Michigan, PSU, Wisky. Those schools are as cut-throat as Texas, have a better history, and have no desire to see us succeed. We have been taken behind the woodshed and PSUed the last decade and find ourselves 6th best in a conference that is very top heavy, with no recruiting whatsoever in the areas that will actually have access to the big 10 network. Instead of bucking up and taking on Texas, and trusting in hard-work and intelligence we jumped for "free money", when in reality we have barely broken into the top 25 in revenue/profit over the last decade. I would feel better if our current systems scaled better to northern weather, but going to the great lakes regions in November to try to win a conference championship with a spread, speed based offense is going to be really tough.

Wisconsin does not have a better history of Texas. In the history of the AP poll, the Badgers have been #1 for one week.

Give Texas more credit as a past National Champion in Collegiate Football.

Reactions: SkerInCo

Urban is right, we have lost recruiting territories

Erroneous! This argument always makes me laugh. Nebraska had one of the best coaches in college football history. THAT IS WHAT MATTERS. NU has won more Nattys than Texas, FSU or Florida since the 70's. Coaches are the determining factor, not recruiting "hotbeds" or any other nonsense. Nick Saban would succeed anywhere because he is a hell of a coach. Alabama has always been in fertile recruiting ground, but it took great coaches to elevate them. Our geography only comes into play when we have substandard coaches.

Frost will succeed it will just take longer than hoped.
#GBR

Erroneous! This argument always makes me laugh. Nebraska had one of the best coaches in college football history. THAT IS WHAT MATTERS. NU has won more Nattys than Texas, FSU or Florida since the 70's. Coaches are the determining factor, not recruiting "hotbeds" or any other nonsense.
#GBR

Your argument makes me laugh. You continue to bring up the past-- that's OK, but the problem is it's in the "long ago" past now. Today's high school recruits don't really give a damn what happened two and three decades before they were even born. If "very distant past" mattered then Minnesota would be one of the nation's best programs to this day since they dominated all of college football in the 1940s and 1950s.

As for Tom Osborne, he absolutely is legendary and will go down as one of the best ever. However, he's not coached a game for 20 years--today's recruits weren't even born yet when Osborne last coached. All they have is old videos to watch of him. Today's recruits aren't going to be playing for Osborne-- they are going to be playing for Frost-- a guy in his 4th year as a Head Coach and has had one winning season as a Coach. He may be great over time, but thus far it's all based on future hype.

Your post is the epitome in what's still very flawed in many people's thinking. With all due respect, you are out of touch and you think with your head instead of your heart. It's really not that difficult to understand but your logic gets overshadowed by false illusions.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

6-7
9-4
4-8
4-8
Doesn’t result in the 6th best team in conference
Rutgers is obviously the worst
We are competing with Maryland & NW for 2nd worst

Reactions: jeans15
Sadly I agree. We roster more 4 stars then Wisky, Minnesota, & Purdue combined.
How many walk ons do those teams have in their 2 deep. Last year when we played Purdue they had a higher average star ranking in their starting lineups than we did. As far as current 2 deeps go I think you would be surprised at where we stack up star ranking wise to those programs and it wouldn't be in our favor. We had a large percentage of busts/wash outs from 2 recruiting cycles who should be major contributors right now and most of those were our highest ranked recruits. Look at the username of the guy you just replied to. He's a troll from another fanbase.

How many walk ons do those teams have in their 2 deep. Last year when we played Purdue they had a higher average star ranking in their starting lineups than we did. As far as current 2 deeps go I think you would be surprised at where we stack up star ranking wise to those programs and it wouldn't be in our favor. We had a large percentage of busts/wash outs from 2 recruiting cycles who should be major contributors right now and most of those were our highest ranked recruits. Look at the username of the guy you just replied to. He's a troll from another fanbase.

well it sounds like development is the problem and not so much recruiting, don’t you think?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT