ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Nebraska

One thing TO didn't have?
All this crap drama like in this thread!

The 1620 guys were talking about if TO could coach today...they basically said "nope" because of things like social media.

TO basically controlled (for the most part) what did and did not come out of Lincoln, as did most coaches back in the day. That just isn't the case as much anymore.

The 1620 guys were talking about if TO could coach today...they basically said "nope" because of things like social media.

TO basically controlled (for the most part) what did and did not come out of Lincoln, as did most coaches back in the day. That just isn't the case as much anymore.

Our media understandably are cowards because the bloated Lincoln media relies completely on football coverage. I mean they are basically King Louis' court. Putting the program in jeopardy puts their own jobs in jeopardy, especially when it comes to exclusivity or even university access. There was so much stuff to report from the Bo years that was left out that I don't think there is really any difference from T.O to Scott in terms of how Lincoln treats its college football coach. And nationally...it is similar...I mean Florida State had a serial rapist as a qb, a guy who hunted girls with the help of his friends, drugged them, and raped them. He was caught and accused and nothing happened. And as an NFL qb he was caught, and nothing happened.

If it interfered in any kind of lawful punishments in any way, its one thing, but todays public hangings won't be solved this generation, social media has yet to become a real social fit.

Our media understandably are cowards because the bloated Lincoln media relies completely on football coverage. I mean they are basically King Louis' court. Putting the program in jeopardy puts their own jobs in jeopardy, especially when it comes to exclusivity or even university access. There was so much stuff to report from the Bo years that was left out that I don't think there is really any difference from T.O to Scott in terms of how Lincoln treats its college football coach. And nationally...it is similar...I mean Florida State had a serial rapist as a qb, a guy who hunted girls with the help of his friends, drugged them, and raped them. He was caught and accused and nothing happened. And as an NFL qb he was caught, and nothing happened.

Yeah, I would imagine that any "negative" article from the LJS and maybe even the OWH about the team has to be Ok'ed many times over...and even then I am sure it is changed a few times over.

The 'good' theme is almost always run at the college level.
Not so in the pros.

Recently, I was asked if I thought we never cheated, I explained, of course we did, but the thread about cheating today, well it still exists today in college ball, so, I imagine some things are silenced, in every place, not just here, then, or now.
Looking back and judging different times is like doing the not in my backyard thing, as today back then and todays today, we always think we are better now.

Coach Tom had an equal number of crimes committed during his watch. Most would say coach Tom supported some mentally ill people who happened to be great football players. I wonder if Urban did the same. Coach Tom had a player drag a woman down a flight of stairs...coach Tom allowed one player to be arrested 9 times and gave him the spring game off...Coach Tom had alcoholic coaches under him, some that he promoted, he had slimy individuals around him so he didn't have to be slimy. He ignored his family and invested his entire soul into the game. Great coaches are not great people, those are mutually exclusive. Urban is a great coach, Tom is a great coach. Both are winners, but both are compromised like the rest of us.
Regarding Tom - he wasn’t perfect but you focus on the bad and none of the good he did for people!

Awesome. Urban is still a slimy dirt bag.
Coach Tom had an equal number of crimes committed during his watch. Most would say coach Tom supported some mentally ill people who happened to be great football players. I wonder if Urban did the same. Coach Tom had a player drag a woman down a flight of stairs...coach Tom allowed one player to be arrested 9 times and gave him the spring game off...Coach Tom had alcoholic coaches under him, some that he promoted, he had slimy individuals around him so he didn't have to be slimy. He ignored his family and invested his entire soul into the game. Great coaches are not great people, those are mutually exclusive. Urban is a great coach, Tom is a great coach. Both are winners, but both are compromised like the rest of us.

You are certainly entitled to your own opinion

Post or it didn’t happen

Reactions: SOHusker11
So, is that ucf team still beating teams they shouldnt in bowl games, besides getting more points against their bowl opponents than any other team did, including the two finalists theyd beat, and would have been in it if theyd beaten georgia twice, never an easy thing to do.
Its SF, his results, in your way of thinking, last year was last year, and myer cant make such a comment.
But, of course he can, because he knows whether it was SF in the sugar bowl, or in columbus, its a tough matchup.
So, ignore ucf, and instead just read a SF coached team
After all, the only things consistent here is system and the coach
But, add to this, SF was, actually, coaching 2 teams at the same time when he beat auburn. that in itself was an incredible feat, whether he won big or just played them tough. it must have been exhausting

1. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-patriots-giants-rape-kathy-redmond/20502967/

2. I will totally eat crow....it was EIGHT times! Thank God our great leader Tom drew the line at 8 arrests...and made him sit out the spring game. Tom was a great man and leader......

See, you rely on articles that are full of crap. I rely on things like actually going down to the courthouse, looking in the big, hard copy book (probably computerized now) that set out in black and white how many times CP was arrested. The answer was zero. It also showed how many times he was cited. Which was 3. You are relying on an urban myth to make your so-called point. I rely on facts, going to the best sources available. And you also carefully ignore the facts, set forth in my post, that TO did far more than "make him sit out the spring game". He actually did something to address CP's underlying issues, rather than a cosmetic sitting him down. But my facts don't mesh with your manufactured BS so you have to ignore them

You also seem to be bringing in the Kathy Redmond alleged rapes. Let's look at that more closely. First, we have to recognize that there are 2, entirely different aspects. The first is whether the rapes occurred, which only 2 people know for sure. I have a strong opinion, based on the what came out in 2 police investigations, and the fact that KR used false police reports to seek revenge on 2 of my friends in Colorado Springs. But that's still opinion.

That leads to the second aspect, which is how TO reacted, given the FACTS on both sides. Let's look at just 2 facts that tend to put the lie to KR's accusations.

1. She claimed that after the 2nd rape, in December 1992, she avoided CP at all costs and was terrified even walking across campus that she might run into him. But CP, his friends, and most importantly, HER friends all said that KR and CP were in an exclusive dating relationship from the fall of 1992 until September 1993, when CP broke it off. So evidence provided by multiple sources on one side saying one thing, and KR said something entirely different.

2. She also claimed that for 6 months after the second rape, she was terrified to walk across campus in fear that she might run into a football player, any player. The 6 months would have been to May, 1993. But there was an article in the Daily Nebraskan, in early February 1993, about one Kathy Redmond, who was spending up to 4 hours a day in the FOOTBALL OFFICES, using the football resources like phones and faxes, to try and start a club women's field hockey team. In order to do that, she had to have a faculty sponsor, who in her case was George Darlington. Who, according to the article, had been introduced to KR by her boyfriend on the football team! He wasn't IDed by name, but based on 1 above...

The bottom line is that I could go on and on with the problems with KR's claims. Her "story" was so full of holes as to make swiss cheese look dense. Like all of us, TO couldn't know if the rapes took place. But he did know that KR appeared to be full of crap. He did know that twice Gary Lacey, the Lancaster County DA who had already proven perfectly willing to charge NU football players with crimes on the flimsiest of evidence, found that he couldn't charge CP with rape. So based on all that he had to decide whether to deal with CP as a rapist or not. I would suggest that he made the logical choice to basically ignore what appeared to be KR's tissue of lies.

You, Solona, OTOH, seem perfectly willing to believe any pile of crap article that denigrates TO in any way, without doing any real research. I'm sure you believed the Detroit Free Article that came out after the 1995 championship that stated that one of NU's starters in 1995 (carefully NOT named, I might add) had been convicted of second degree murder for killing a police officer during a botched robbery of a convenience store. Or that also claimed, for the first time anywhere...wait for it... that CP had been arrested 8 times for sexual assault.

I would suggest that the fact that you are willing to believe such easily disproved "facts" about TO says a great deal more about you than TO. I'm also sure that litespeed skipped this, as learning facts in something that takes more than 5 seconds to read is too much for him. Lol, sorry litespeed, I couldn't resist.

Santa.

You are spot on. TO, love him to death. But he had some big time thugs on his later teams. FACT

Solanana said that Nebraska had murderers on the team back in the day. Which is preposterous to say the least.

What guys did AFTER they left Nebraska isn't on Nebraska or T.O.

He's just smearing the Cornhuskers for the joy of it.

Solanana said that Nebraska had murderers on the team back in the day. Which is preposterous to say the least.

Brother, I would never smear my huskers. Tom was no angel. The murder crap, I don't buy that either.

Reactions: Sinomatic

I read it as Solana playing reductio ad absurdum. I read it as him not really believing there were 8 murders, but just firing back at my pointing out that CP had not been arrested even once. But if he actually believes there were 8 murders committed by guys when they were on the team or before, it's time to ignore Solana even if he states the sky is blue.

I read it as Solana playing reductio ad absurdum. I read it as him not really believing there were 8 murders, but just firing back at my pointing out that CP had not been arrested even once. But if he actually believes there were 8 murders committed by guys when they were on the team or before, it's time to ignore Solana even if he states the sky is blue.

Oh my...you are the worst type of person. What was Mark Twain's line about using 5 dollar words?

Go look it up, shake your head, blush and come back and apologize to every poster and more importantly to yourself.

Oh my...you are the worst type of person. What was Mark Twain's line about using 5 dollar words?

Go look it up, shake your head, blush and come back and apologize to every poster and more importantly to yourself.

Uh, I read Solana as trying to point out the falsity of my position on CP by having it lead to the crazy conclusion that there were 8 murders, not 8 arrests. If I read it wrong, that's on me. But if I read it right, that is indeed reductio ad absurdum: trying to prove the falsity of a position by showing that it leads inevitably to absurd results. Edit: on rereading Solana I actually may have been giving him too much credit. He may have just been trying to be a dick.

After all the work HBD did putting that post together, which I appreciate, this is the best you can do?

I get that you think TO is no different than Urb as well, a win at all costs coach... but maybe instead of making fun of the guy for using words you don’t understand, it’s best to remain silent on this one. Maybe it’s time for you to apologize to every poster.

Things are getting a little heated here. I apologize if I came across as trying to sound smart-ass by using a less than common phrase. Especially when, upon rereading Solana's posts I was very likely wrong in using reductio ad absurdum. I wasn't trying to be smart-ass, that's genuinely what I thought he was doing when I posted. Now, I'm actually not sure what he was trying to say. Nevertheless, I don't really consider my audience when I quickly write a post. I don't decide whether I have to smarten it up or dumb it down. I just use the word or phrase that expresses what I am trying to say. That's all.

Reactions: Sous Chef
After all the work HBD did putting that post together, which I appreciate, this is the best you can do?

I get that you think TO is no different than Urb as well, a win at all costs coach... but maybe instead of making fun of the guy for using words you don’t understand, it’s best to remain silent on this one. Maybe it’s time for you to apologize to every poster.
I did not make fun of him. I ripped him for being "that guy"

Quit being that guy. In this instance, I actually think you do know it.
Of course I know. It is why I called him out. I always know what I am doing...unless it is with home repair things. Or with women in bed...or car issues.

Of course I know. It is why I called him out. I always know what I am doing...unless it is with home repair things. Or with women in bed...or car issues.
I don’t get the need to call him out, when his post was full of factual information that he actually researched personally and shared said information. And all you can do is call him out for using Latin? Come on…

Reactions: GILL T
Unless you were simply being funny… In which case, I totally misread your post.

No, when you are "that guy" you never do know it.
oh-the-irony-ts-toomucie-33960611.png

I honestly don't know what being "the guy" here means. Is it just because I used reductio ad absurdum? Leaving aside the fact that, looking back, I was very likely wrong about what Solana was trying to say, I could have used the phrase "reductio ad absurdum" or I could have said "I think Solana is trying to show that what I said was wrong by showing that what I said, taken to its logical conclusion, leads to a bat-crap crazy result." No, as a successful writer of non-fiction and a (hopefully only in the short term) unsuccessful writer of fiction Strunk and White's cardinal rule of 'omit needless words" is in my bloodstream. So I used 'reductio ad absurdum' rather than use some 30 words to express the same point. But I suppose mentioning Strunk and White also makes me "that guy."

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
I honestly don't know what being "the guy" here means. Is it just because I used reductio ad absurdum? Leaving aside the fact that, looking back, I was very likely wrong about what Solana was trying to say, I could have used the phrase "reductio ad absurdum" or I could have said "I think Solana is trying to show that what I said was wrong by showing that what I said, taken to its logical conclusion, leads to a bat-crap crazy result." No, as a successful writer of non-fiction and a (hopefully only in the short term) unsuccessful writer of fiction Strunk and White's cardinal rule of 'omit needless words" is in my bloodstream. So I used 'reductio ad absurdum' rather than use some 30 words to express the same point. But I suppose mentioning Strunk and White also makes me "that guy."

This just keeps getting better!

You are my new favorite poster!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT