ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Nebraska

Urb is a complete clown. If you didn't see that last year through all of the Zach Smith circus, you are blind. Urb was a total sh*t show, and took relatively little heat for it. He's even teaching a "character and leadership" class at OSU. He sure can recruit, but he's got zero right to be talking to anyone, let alone college kids, about character and leadership. When the tough gets going, Urb gets his ass out the way. Shake your head, talk a little quieter, put on a sad face, conjure up some asinine story, and move on, that's his schtick. His full-of-shitness couldn't be more transparent. What are you saying, if you "strive for perfection and excellence," you are allowed to be a POS? Sounds reasonable. You're right, we should all respect ole' urb. Keep em coming.

priceless

Coach Tom had an equal number of crimes committed during his watch. Most would say coach Tom supported some mentally ill people who happened to be great football players. I wonder if Urban did the same. Coach Tom had a player drag a woman down a flight of stairs...coach Tom allowed one player to be arrested 9 times and gave him the spring game off...Coach Tom had alcoholic coaches under him, some that he promoted, he had slimy individuals around him so he didn't have to be slimy. He ignored his family and invested his entire soul into the game. Great coaches are not great people, those are mutually exclusive. Urban is a great coach, Tom is a great coach. Both are winners, but both are compromised like the rest of us.

Is Tom a slimy dirt bag...if he isn't I maintain Urb isn't either. He just doesn't coach your team and has beaten OUR team with regularity. Same reason the nation thought Tom was a fraud during the LP situation and the other murders and rapes. Tom certainly allowed questionable characters on his teams in order to win but he wasn't himself a questionable character. Urb has certainly allowed things to go on under him that is questionable but I personally think he strives for perfection and excellence and has reached it in everything he does. That is something husker fans used to respect.

:eek:

Murders!!??:confused:

You, ma'am, are an Iowa fano_O for spreading that kind of underlying hatred-putrid pocket of lies. Sick

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Outside of lying to a bunch of reporters about the wife beater thing, which Urban didn't do personally remember....did he ever get in trouble with the NCAA themselves? The way people on this board rag on him makes me wonder if I somehow forgot that he got his teeth kicked in by the NCAA for blatant cheating violations????

Reactions: Sinomatic
Outside of lying to a bunch of reporters about the wife beater thing, which Urban didn't do personally remember....did he ever get in trouble with the NCAA themselves? The way people on this board rag on him makes me wonder if I somehow forgot that he got his teeth kicked in by the NCAA for blatant cheating violations????

No kidding...people act like he is Ted Bundy.

Coach Tom had an equal number of crimes committed during his watch. Most would say coach Tom supported some mentally ill people who happened to be great football players. I wonder if Urban did the same. Coach Tom had a player drag a woman down a flight of stairs...coach Tom allowed one player to be arrested 9 times and gave him the spring game off...Coach Tom had alcoholic coaches under him, some that he promoted, he had slimy individuals around him so he didn't have to be slimy. He ignored his family and invested his entire soul into the game. Great coaches are not great people, those are mutually exclusive. Urban is a great coach, Tom is a great coach. Both are winners, but both are compromised like the rest of us.

As soon as Solana Beach said that TO allowed a player who had been arrested 9 times to remain on the team I knew Solana was full of crap.

As soon as Solana Beach said that TO allowed a player who had been arrested 9 times to remain on the team I knew Solana was full of crap.

Did he have the count wrong? Was it 10???? Now I'm joking of course, but I'm betting we don't want to know a lot of stories that date back to him as a coach and what he looked the other way on.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Is Meyer going back into the broadcast booth? I recall he was there before tOSU and did a pretty good job. I recall them asking him if he was going to be the next OSU coach and his reply was "I have not been contacted"
He probably wasn't but his agent probably was

Did he have the count wrong? Was it 10???? Now I'm joking of course, but I'm betting we don't want to know a lot of stories that date back to him as a coach and what he looked the other way on.

I am assuming that Solana was referring to Christian Peter. He was actually cited 3 times, although he was cited for multiple offenses like MIP, disturbing the peace and open container violations in 2 of those. So it added up to 8 charges via citation, with no arrests. It's obvious that Solana got his "information" from the articles that claim, completely falsely, that CP was arrested for 8 or 9 sexual offenses.

In addition, the claim that all TO did with CP is give him the spring game off is utter BS. He is probably confusing TO with MacCartney at CU, who gave his QB the spring game off after his second felony conviction for battery.

After CP's alcohol-related citations he was sent to both a University and an outside psychologist. It was determined that he had a significant problem handling alcohol, although not an alcoholic. TO therefore imposed a series of requirements on CP that included (I'm not sure if I remember all of them):

1. No alcohol use while on the team.
2. In support of the above, he was randomly blood tested every week for something like 6 months (I may be wrong on the time) and monthly thereafter.
3. He was required to attend AA or similar type meetings
4. He was required to continue weekly meetings with the psychological counselor of his choice, with the requirement that the counselor report to TO on CP's general progress.

There were other, lesser requirements but you get the idea. Any breach of any of these and CP was off the team.

CP also redshirted in 1992. I knew a number of people who reported on NU football during that period and they all were surprised that CP redshirted. They knew he was raw, but they also all said that he was the best run-stopper on the team. It turned out that the real reason he redshirted was to make sure he stuck with the above requirements for a full year before he played. Edit: I may be confused on CP's suspension for the 1993 season. I'm not going to bother to look up my notes and will just remove the suspension claim. as I might be thinking of someone else.

Last edited:
One enormous difference between Urb and Tom. Urb kept those people because he wanted to win. Tom kept those people because he was a strong Christian and thought he could get to them and make them a better person. It often worked. Sometimes it didn't. He still speaks in our church every year (he also attends almost every Sunday) and has spoken about LP and what he went through growing up. Tom did what he could to help him. Urb would have tossed him under the bus to save his sole. Tom has never done that and never will.

One enormous difference between Urb and Tom. Urb kept those people because he wanted to win. Tom kept those people because he was a strong Christian and thought he could get to them and make them a better person. It often worked. Sometimes it didn't. He still speaks in our church every year (he also attends almost every Sunday) and has spoken about LP and what he went through growing up. Tom did what he could to help him. Urb would have tossed him under the bus to save his sole. Tom has never done that and never will.

This is such a lame answer.

People cite to LP (even forgetting that TO initially kicked him off the team and only relented when doctors said LP's treatment plan needed the carrot of him earning his way back onto the team) without noting the dozens of players who TO turned around. For example, Tyrone Williams was on the way down when TO turned him around. As a result, TW established organizations to help at-risk youth in Omaha, Green Bay, and his hometown in FL. He was 3 times the Packers man of the year for his off the field charitable acts, nominated for what is now the Payton man of the year award. You can't be 100% successful in helping kids, but at least TO tried and for every failure there were probably 20 successes.

Oh please....TO had a bunch of thugs on those NC teams

I am assuming that Solana was referring to Christian Peter. He was actually cited 3 times, although he was cited for multiple offenses like MIP, disturbing the peace and open container violations in 2 of those. So it added up to 8 charges via citation, with no arrests. It's obvious that Solana got his "information" from the articles that claim, completely falsely, that CP was arrested for 8 or 9 sexual offenses.

In addition, the claim that all TO did with CP is give him the spring game off is utter BS. He is probably confusing TO with MacCartney at CU, who gave his QB the spring game off after his second felony conviction for battery.

After CP's alcohol-related citations he was sent to both a University and an outside psychologist. It was determined that he had a significant problem handling alcohol, although not an alcoholic. TO therefore imposed a series of requirements on CP that included (I'm not sure if I remember all of them):

1. No alcohol use while on the team.
2. In support of the above, he was randomly blood tested every week for something like 6 months (I may be wrong on the time) and monthly thereafter.
3. He was required to attend AA or similar type meetings
4. He was required to continue weekly meetings with the psychological counselor of his choice, with the requirement that the counselor report to TO on CP's general progress.

There were other, lesser requirements but you get the idea. Any breach of any of these and CP was off the team.

CP also redshirted in 1992. I knew a number of people who reported on NU football during that period and they all were surprised that CP redshirted. They knew he was raw, but they also all said that he was the best run-stopper on the team. It turned out that the real reason he redshirted was to make sure he stuck with the above requirements for a full year before he played. Edit: I may be confused on CP's suspension for the 1993 season. I'm not going to bother to look up my notes and will just remove the suspension claim. as I might be thinking of someone else.

Whenever we look down our noses at other programs for something they did wrong it never fails that one of their fans come over and type something just as windy trying to prove we don't know the whole story, and I do the same with those responses I did with this one...rolled my eyes.

Urb is a complete clown. If you didn't see that last year through all of the Zach Smith circus, you are blind. Urb was a total sh*t show, and took relatively little heat for it. He's even teaching a "character and leadership" class at OSU. He sure can recruit, but he's got zero right to be talking to anyone, let alone college kids, about character and leadership. When the tough gets going, Urb gets his ass out the way. Shake your head, talk a little quieter, put on a sad face, conjure up some asinine story, and move on, that's his schtick. His full-of-shitness couldn't be more transparent. What are you saying, if you "strive for perfection and excellence," you are allowed to be a POS? Sounds reasonable. You're right, we should all respect ole' urb. Keep em coming.

Laughing

Whenever we look down our noses at other programs for something they did wrong it never fails that one of their fans come over and type something just as windy trying to prove we don't know the whole story, and I do the same with those responses I did with this one...rolled my eyes.

Facts are windy? Kinda shows your problem, not mine: "don't make me think, it hurts!"

People cite to LP (even forgetting that TO initially kicked him off the team and only relented when doctors said LP's treatment plan needed the carrot of him earning his way back onto the team) without noting the dozens of players who TO turned around. For example, Tyrone Williams was on the way down when TO turned him around. As a result, TW established organizations to help at-risk youth in Omaha, Green Bay, and his hometown in FL. He was 3 times the Packers man of the year for his off the field charitable acts, nominated for what is now the Payton man of the year award. You can't be 100% successful in helping kids, but at least TO tried and for every failure there were probably 20 successes.
Good post. I want to give it more than one like.

But that is what all coaches do. I mean all those guys have helped out tons of their players.
I think "all" is a stretch. There have been some really bad coaches over the decades. While I get your point the point you are missing is Tom was about more than winning. It's a rare thing. The diatribes against Tom in this thread are amusing to me. It's been noted that its a corrupt world and it's impossible to lie down with dogs and not get fleas. That being said I believe that Tom was responsible for more good than bad. Which in my estimation makes him a better person than most of us.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I think "all" is a stretch. There have been some really bad coaches over the decades. While I get your point the point you are missing is Tom was about more than winning. It's a rare thing. The diatribes against Tom in this thread are amusing to me. It's been noted that its a corrupt world and it's impossible to lie down with dogs and not get fleas. That being said I believe that Tom was responsible for more good than bad. Which in my estimation makes him a better person than most of us.

This honestly sounds like what all the dorks said about Riley...

I am guessing that most of us are just like TO and Riley more than we are Ted Bundy. Most of us are pretty normal, nice people that help out when we can.

This honestly sounds like what all the dorks said about Riley...

I am guessing that most of us are just like TO and Riley more than we are Ted Bundy. Most of us are pretty normal, nice people that help out when we can.
Again you miss the point. We are talking about people in the position of head coach of a major college program. The average person on the street doesn't have to face the moral challenges on a daily basis that people in that position face. It's not an apples to apples comparison. The truism that power corrupts is absolutely a factor. I suppose I should have qualified my estimation and said I believe Tom was a better person than most in his shoes.

I don't care if Urb murdered the girl scouts who delivered cookies to his house. When it comes to winning, he's a witch. If he likes what he sees from Frost's program then all the blood just left my brain headed south.

Somehow I missed the poll at the top of this post "Is Urban Meyer a good person? Yes or No?" Objection, irrelevant.

I think we can stop worshiping UCF now. UCF did not beat Alabama, nor Georgia that year. They played in a weak conference, not a P5. The only P5 they played WAS Auburn. There is no data to correlate into a win against the best in college football.

Auburn didn't make the playoffs. Alabama and Georgia did. UCF beat one P5 team. Not a season full of them.

I'm totally on board with Frost. He's been amazing on turning this program into winners. Now, he has to do the winning.
I can't stand UCF. Biggest wannabe babies ever.
Oh look at us we play in a crap conf and beat 1 good team in a bowl game. We deserve to be NC. Oh nobody in the country thinks we should be champions, fine we declare ourselves NC so there. Hell even Frost admitted they didn't deserve to be NC and he was their coach.
I get they don't get the respect they deserve. I understand their fans get upset. Earn it, like very other college program has over many many seasons. Respect isn't given based off 2 good years.

Reactions: bigboxes
Oh look at us we play in a crap conf and beat 1 good team in a bowl game. We deserve to be NC. Oh nobody in the country thinks we should be champions, fine we declare ourselves NC so there. Hell even Frost admitted they didn't deserve to be NC and he was their coach.
I get they don't get the respect they deserve. I understand their fans get upset. Earn it, like very other college program has over many many seasons. Respect isn't given based off 2 good years.
Dude, you sound like 5 year old with snot running down his nose..

Reactions: Melmc
Like the kid from bad santa.

I don't think Urban Meyer or a lot of other coaches are as bad as people say they are. And the ragging on our legendary head coach in this thread is just unbelievable. Did Osborne always handle every situation the right way? No, but the vast majority of the time he did do things the right way. That there are some posters on here who constantly want to point out every little thing he did wrong says more about them than it does about TO. The truth is Osborne is a far better man and has done far more good for for the world than probably any of us here. The people who only want to focus on the negative and trash someone's reputation, it really gets old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT