ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer compliments Frost, Huskers for 'swinging hard'

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
Urban Meyer offered a sharp rebuttal to those critics of Nebraska officials speaking up about playing football, and also doesn't believe the Big Ten steered out of its way to head-butt the Huskers with a tough 2020 schedule for being outspoken.

"No. If they did, first of all, no way. No way could you do that," Meyer said during an appearance on Dan Patrick's radio show on Tuesday. "I remember when Scott Frost first got there and in one of our coaches' meetings he brought up that they've had the hardest schedule in the Big Ten for years and years and years. And no one really knew that, but he broke (it) down. Because Nebraska is a primetime name, and so is the Wolverines, Ohio State and Penn State. And people want to see those games. You never saw Nebraska play Rutgers or Maryland. You saw them play the big dogs all the time in the East – the Buckeyes, and Penn State and the Wolverines. So I don't know why they keep getting the most ... but I don't believe that someone would really do that. I hope not."

Patrick pushed Meyer a little further on the subject, suggesting that Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren had to be upset with what he was hearing from Nebraska.

Yeah, but people that make comments, 'How can Nebraska say that?' They've never coached. I would argue they've never coached," Meyer said. "The job of a coach, an AD and a president is to fight for their players. If they felt that was wrong, I commend them, I commend Scott Frost and the AD and the president for swinging as hard as they can. I commend the athletes at Ohio State and Penn State and the Wolverines. Everybody fought. They thought that was wrong and they fought. They did it respectfully, but they fought."

The former Ohio State and Florida coach, now turned analyst for FOX, had also complimented Frost for standing up for his team last week.

It was learned Saturday the Huskers open at Ohio State, then host Wisconsin, and play Penn State in Week 4, giving Nebraska three games against potential top-10 teams in the first half of the schedule. It's worth noting Nebraska already had a tricky 2020 schedule set up, with Ohio State and Penn State among the crossovers on the original slate, so the unveiling was not a departure from what had been expected for years. Given that Ohio State is a 'protected crossover' for Nebraska right now, it stayed and the Husker game at Rutgers was thrown in the trash bin.

"The good news is we do have a schedule. Some have a tougher schedule than others, but that happens a lot in this business," Moos said on Wednesday during an appearance on the 'SportsNightly' radio show. "We're ready to get after it."

Asked by a fan if he thought the schedule was due to any kind of resentment the Big Ten had for Nebraska, Moos said, "Nah, I can't say that," noting only that perhaps those games against top-tier teams could have been spread out more than they were.

Moos added that the No. 1 thing he was after was a chance to play football. "And in the end, we're going to play football ... so we need to look at that as a positive."

Sometimes misrepresented in reports both in when things were said, and what was said, Frost gave a passionate talk on Aug. 10 about the importance of playing this fall, a day before the Big Ten decided to postpone. Husker officials expressed disappointment at the Big Ten's decision when it came down, and briefly wondered if there was any alternative to still playing somehow this season. That was as far as it went.

"I think it was made pretty clear pretty quick that there was not an avenue to do that," UNL Chancellor Ronnie Green said in August on an interview on KLIN radio. Ultimately, "we're a member of the Big Ten. And we abide by the Big Ten's decision. That's hard for us, but we're a member of the Big Ten and there's never been a question in anyone's mind that we're a member of the Big Ten or desire to be a member."

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...eason-Urban-Meyer-Big-Ten-schedule-151831159/

The schedule is tough, but Nebraska should be able to handle it. Gotta show improvement.
What concerns me is Moos’ past comments. He is not expressing much confidence in the team with his words. He has been more timid in the past couple years after he saw the actual product. It certainly appears he does not believe this is a team that can win half the games it plays.

I don’t think it has anything to do with that, I’m pretty sure it’s just the way the BIG 10 has been handing us harder schedules the past 3-4 years. And I’m confident it’s nothing to do with the strength of schedule as much as it’s getting OSU, Wisconsin, NW and then PSU the first 4 games of the season.

What concerns me is Moos’ past comments. He is not expressing much confidence in the team with his words. He has been more timid in the past couple years after he saw the actual product. It certainly appears he does not believe this is a team that can win half the games it plays.
Unfortunately he's been right so far.

Well we haven't exactly proven it on the field. Time to prove it.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Unfortunately he's been right so far.

Not only have we not been that good but this is going to be a highly irregular year. If we play all the games we are scheduled, it takes 5 (I think) and maybe 6 games to bowl? Not that I have any real expectations of actually playing a bowl game should we make one.

A team that wins a handful of conference games the last few years is going to come out and win 60% of them? Probably not likely given the crossovers we've had. And the percentage you need to win only goes up, if games get cancelled. Winning 5/5 or 5/6 is much harder than 5/8.

I’m not writing “I’m ready to play some football”.

so i take that as you aren’t ready? BTW, I was actually being playful with the reply back to you, not trying to be a dick.

I didn’t take your response personally or bad. I’m pretty confident anyone with a eyes and a brain knows I meant for Husker football, not myself directly playing. Football is around the corner....GBR

Last edited:
I find it hilarious that he still won't mention Michigan by name.

"You saw them play the big dogs all the time in the East – the Buckeyes, and Penn State and the Wolverines."

I listened to the interview and he said it several times, "the Wolverines" but referred to every other school by name.

ADVERTISEMENT