ADVERTISEMENT

**Updated** Class Finish

Skerz4Life50

Sophomore
Nov 24, 2013
Just wanted to start a discussion on who we fill out our class with. Currently at 19 (Masry - ***officially off***), so that leaves up to 8 spots left based on a prior HCSF interview. It appears we have roughly 12 ‘interested’ prospects to fill those spots. From everything I have read, the following players seem like we would take if they want N:

1. Washington (RB) - N lean
-Announcing signing day
-NU, ASU
2. Tago (QB) - OrSt
3. JJB & Tannor (OLB)
-Both announcing signing day
-NU, TAMU, VTech
-NU, UF, FSU, Auburn
4. Hunt (WR) - N lean
-NU, OrSt, SDSU
5. Ogbonnia (DT)
-NU, TTU, UT
-Announcing signing day
6. Taylor (S) - N lean
-Announcing signing day
-NU, Auburn
7. Bell (OG) - decreasing probability
-ASU, NU
-Announcing signing day

8. Palmer (CB) - low probability
-Announcing signing day
-NU, NCSt
9. Canty (OT) - NU, Louisville

Backup options:
1. Miss on Palmer - Montgomery or Norwood (CB)
2. Miss on Canty - Bobby Lawrence or Jalen Robinson (OT)
3. Miss on Washington - Sargbah (RB)
4. Potential walkons/grey shirts/summer additions depending on grades - Masry (DT) and Moses Bryant (ATH) - N

Looks like we are in a good spot for 6 of the top priorities. Tannor is most likely gone. We are sitting good with our 3 other top priorities, with plenty of backup options to fill out the class. A much much better looking ending to the class and it appears we will FINALLY oversign without reaching too much on certain prospects (except for possibly CB and OT).

***Tago is out, but sounds like Mr. Tannor is back in play... sounds like coaches may have hinted at us not having a spot...***

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Thinking Masry won't make it leaving 19 total. Going to guess of the nine listed the team ends up with four, Tago and Hunt being my top two for sure .

Thinking Masry won't make it leaving 19 total. Going to guess of the nine listed the team ends up with four, Tago and Hunt being my top two for sure .

I sincerely hope this is not the case .. but man if it is even close, what a complete F-up by the former D-line coach and the rest of the staff when we had another top D-1 prospect in our back yard that we decided to pass on in favor of a big time qualifying risk

Last edited:
I hope he makes it, but when he does, will he have the desire to get into the levels.of commitment needed to be successful in college academically and athletically. Frost seems be setting the standard high again and college athletes will get the help needed to be in a position to succeed in the classroom but they still need to commit. Have worked with too many talented but uncommitted young people to assume he will turn it on in college. Hope he does, don't like to see talent waste.

Reactions: jlb321
He will be fine at UNL. This kid was basically on the street doing anything he wanted until he got a break and ended up in McCool in a foster situation. Had a lot of ground to make up due to many years of kind of being on his own.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Masry will not be given a NLI, he is going to be placed at a JUCO, probably IWCC.

Jarrett Bell is ASU bound. Foolish move on his part, but oh well. Think you can figure it is Canty.

Think you go with Montgomery .... good player, but needs a little time in cafeteria and weight room.

Otito Ogbonnia is going to be a very hard to get as he has a lot of good offers. He is however a prototypical NT so we do really want him.

Overall this will be the best class we have had since 2011. Telling that this staff could do this in such a short time ............

Reactions: davecisar
1. Washington (RB) - N lean
-Announcing signing day
2. Tago (QB) - N lean
-Announcinh Saturday night
3. JJB Or Tannor (OLB) - JJB N lean
-Announcing signing day
4. Hunt (WR) - N lean
5. Ogbonnia (DT) - N lean
6. Taylor (S) - N lean
-Announcing signing day
7. Bell (OG) - decreasing probability
8. Palmer (CB) - low probability
-Announcing signing day
9. Canty (OT) - final 2 with Louisville

I think you are off on your leans.
Washington was an ASU lean and is probably 50/50 between us and them now.
Tago - who knows what he is thinking, but without any other Polynesian football players at Nebraska it may be a tough sell.
JJB - appears to be leaning away from every school where he took an OV
Ogbonnia - he is a heavy Texas Tech lean and will be a hard pull since NU doesn't offer the undergraduate degree he is looking for.

I think we get Taylor, Canty, Tago, and Hunt. Washington and JJB are toss-ups.

I think you are off on your leans.
Washington was an ASU lean and is probably 50/50 between us and them now.
Tago - who knows what he is thinking, but without any other Polynesian football players at Nebraska it may be a tough sell.
JJB - appears to be leaning away from every school where he took an OV
Ogbonnia - he is a heavy Texas Tech lean and will be a hard pull since NU doesn't offer the undergraduate degree he is looking for.
Not going to say you are wrong, but based off of various recruiting analysts, Washington is now very much NU’s to lose after our in home and getting his last visit.

Tago has eliminated Utah so it is us and OrSt, and we are the only ones offering him at chance at QB which is important to him.

JJB is less an NU lean, however he has a long relationship with Frost and has stated how important relationships mean to him (would seem to make TAMU quite a ways behind as they have only been recruiting him for a couple weeks).

And finally Ogbonnia may not be an NU lean, I’m not sure on that. But we have a great academic support system, which is important to him, we are offering him the opportunity to throw in track (and have the Davis twins currently doing so), and we get his final OV. His brother is at TTU so that is something we are fighting, but hopefully the OV really opens his eyes and gets him N.

Hopefully we will know a lot more after this weekend.

And finally Ogbonnia may not be an NU lean, I’m not sure on that. But we have a great academic support system, which is important to him, we are offering him the opportunity to throw in track (and have the Davis twins currently doing so), and we get his final OV. His brother is at TTU so that is something we are fighting, but hopefully the OV really opens his eyes and gets him N.

I don't know. Maybe NU can work out something with the Colorado School of Mines to get him the petroleum engineering degree that he wants.

Reactions: Skerz4Life50
I hope he makes it, but when he does, will he have the desire to get into the levels.of commitment needed to be successful in college academically and athletically. Frost seems be setting the standard high again and college athletes will get the help needed to be in a position to succeed in the classroom but they still need to commit. Have worked with too many talented but uncommitted young people to assume he will turn it on in college. Hope he does, don't like to see talent waste.
Has not even set foot on campus, and this is already starting. Outstanding. I read on here about people claiming this site is gonna effect crootin'.... But this is the kind of stuff posted.

I don't know. Maybe NU can work out something with the Colorado School of Mines to get him the petroleum engineering degree that he wants.
We may not be able to offer him a bachelors in petroleum engineering, however we can offer him a bachelors in chemical engineering, with the opportunity to go on to graduate school elsewhere to further pursue petroleum engineering if that is what he ultimately desires.

I have my bachelors in biological systems engineering and my masters in mechanical engineering. I can tell you from personal experience that while the classes do vary from major to major, the main concepts of almost all engineering degrees are the same. Chemical engineering would actually allow him to have a more broad opportunity after college in various fields, if for some reason he ultimately decided that was no longer his dream, or he wasn’t able to find an immediately available job opportunity. That was one of the main factors that caused me to get my masters degree in mechanical, it allowed a much more diverse job market.

Has not even set foot on campus, and this is already starting. Outstanding. I read on here about people claiming this site is gonna effect crootin'.... But this is the kind of stuff posted.

Yes, having concerns about a young student athlete who has shown a past of not giving it his all is now forbidden. Got it thank you, nothing but sunshine and lollipops, will do.

Yes, having concerns about a young student athlete who has shown a past of not giving it his all is now forbidden. Got it thank you, nothing but sunshine and lollipops, will do.
Hey. . Just passing on the new talking points

Also a side note, my brother played football at Mines and got his Engineering degree from there. But not sure if you know much about their program or have ever been to a game, but it is actually quite entertaining. My brother played when Stitt was head coach and had them playing for a shot at the playoffs at least 2 or 3 of the 5 years he was there (I believe actually only got in once, and played in a bowl game two others).

Regardless, though, it was when they had their old stadium and you would park on their soccer field. You could ‘tailgate’ inside the stadium gates and could casually walk right up to the fence around the field with a beer even though it wasn’t really allowed. The have a sweet live donkey mascot named Blaster, and you could basically walk down on the track around the field during the game and go take pictures with him. They also had a volunteer band that was absolutely terrible, along with some interesting cheerleaders and flag twirlers. During homecoming each year, the band would perform the ‘splitting of the atom’ and the tubas? would have electron symbols on their instruments and would come sprinting in to split the atom (which was the rest of the band). It seemed very few of the fans in the stadium actually understood what was happening, but it was great entertainment none the less.

Also a side note, my brother played football at Mines and got his Engineering degree from there. But not sure if you know much about their program or have ever been to a game, but it is actually quite entertaining. My brother played when Stitt was head coach and had them playing for a shot at the playoffs at least 2 or 3 of the 5 years he was there (I believe actually only got in once, and played in a bowl game two others).

Regardless, though, it was when they had their old stadium and you would park on their soccer field. You could ‘tailgate’ inside the stadium gates and could casually walk right up to the fence around the field with a beer even though it wasn’t really allowed. The have a sweet live donkey mascot named Blaster, and you could basically walk down on the track around the field during the game and go take pictures with him. They also had a volunteer band that was absolutely terrible, along with some interesting cheerleaders and flag twirlers. During homecoming each year, the band would perform the ‘splitting of the atom’ and the tubas? would have electron symbols on their instruments and would come sprinting in to split the atom (which was the rest of the band). It seemed very few of the fans in the stadium actually understood what was happening, but it was great entertainment none the less.
Mines
Great Engineering school

Did tour there with one of my kids
Slim pickens if you are interested in girls though

The girls OTOH have their own thoughts on guys there: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd"

Last edited:

That splitting of the atom sounds like it would be great fun to see! You know I'll be looking for video now. :D

EDIT - Ask and you small receive..

Last edited:
d35.jpg

Washington = Blades?

I hope the coaches keep after him after signing day to make sure he finishes 2nd semester like he has to to end up at NU.

Updated again to eliminate Masry. Also added the schools that I know are in contention for each player and when each player is announcing that I know of.

Updated again to eliminate Masry. Also added the schools that I know are in contention for each player and when each player is announcing that I know of.

Not sure where he’s leaning, but ND isn’t recruiting Ogbonnia.

I’m always going to defer to the coaches, but my least favorite target they had was Tago. If we told him to move on (which I don’t really know), I can’t wait for the finish of this class

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
We may not be able to offer him a bachelors in petroleum engineering, however we can offer him a bachelors in chemical engineering, with the opportunity to go on to graduate school elsewhere to further pursue petroleum engineering if that is what he ultimately desires.

I have my bachelors in biological systems engineering and my masters in mechanical engineering. I can tell you from personal experience that while the classes do vary from major to major, the main concepts of almost all engineering degrees are the same. Chemical engineering would actually allow him to have a more broad opportunity after college in various fields, if for some reason he ultimately decided that was no longer his dream, or he wasn’t able to find an immediately available job opportunity. That was one of the main factors that caused me to get my masters degree in mechanical, it allowed a much more diverse job market.

There is only 20 schools in the country that offer petroleum engineering (I work at one). We always say. A chemical engineer can go into petroleum but petroleum engineers have a hard time going into a lot of the chemical fields.. get your undergraduate in chemical and get your master’s in petroleum and your sitting pretty.

No one here knows what happened for sure- the kid moved on. It could have been his choice- if you dont get how important it is for Poly kids to be part of a Poly community- then you just dont understand that culture.

OTOH if this kid is a trailblazer and did the silent commit thing and as some suggest- lost his spot to someone else, more power to HCSF. NU is taking 25-26 kids- so either story could be true.

How many times has NU had a "silent commit" bail on the last day and we are caught holding the bag? I realize until the ink is dry kids can commit elsewhere. But if a player chooses to not publicly commit so he can back out easily- so can NU.

This Mr Rodgers players coach, it's all about you approach to recruiting and roster management has got to stop. We need a full 85 roster of kids that can play.

Im a big fan of physical "football players", ballers who you find a place for. QBs- especially QBs who run like FBs- I like- on defense. But Im trusting that because of this staffs track record- they are doing the right thing or the kid made his own decision.

Last edited:
I hope the recruits are enjoying the snow/cold this morning.

I remember when Jarrett Bell tweeted #Cold on his visit. He seemed to lose interest in us after that and favor Arizona State instead. Hopefully next year we'll have most of our class complete before the winter starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT