ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Greg Bell

CornHusker_635

Walk On
Dec 14, 2017
Any update on Greg Bell choosing a transfer school? Just spotted him working out at the UNL campus student rec.

I doubt anyone wants a guy who was put in to start the first game of the season and rushed for 100 yards and then decides to transfer 4 games into the season (Unless they're desperate). There's no chance he ends up staying. He'll probably end up at JUCO or a group of 5 school would be my guess...

Reactions: Can o' corn
I doubt anyone wants a guy who was put in to start the first game of the season and rushed for 100 yards and then decides to transfer 4 games into the season (Unless they're desperate). There's no chance he ends up staying. He'll probably end up at JUCO or a group of 5 school would be my guess...
Can he go to JUCO, again? He's already been to JUCO for 2 years, hasn't he?

This is why Greg Bell is an obvious dipshit. If he would've left Nebraska, he never would've been eligible. He is still on scholarship, and must finish the semester before he transfers. If he had transferred out in early October, he would've lost credit for all those classes already taken and basically had his choices cut down to the D2 level for transfer.

I am calling him a dipshit because he couldve been doing the exact same thing while also fighting for PT. Even though Devine has emerged, in this scheme, there are still carries to be had. All he did was demonstrate the character of a quitter. He could've stayed around and proven to be a man, and then transferred out at semester if he wanted.

This is why Greg Bell is an obvious dipshit. If he would've left Nebraska, he never would've been eligible. He is still on scholarship, and must finish the semester before he transfers. If he had transferred out in early October, he would've lost credit for all those classes already taken and basically had his choices cut down to the D2 level for transfer.

I am calling him a dipshit because he couldve been doing the exact same thing while also fighting for PT. Even though Devine has emerged, in this scheme, there are still carries to be had. All he did was demonstrate the character of a quitter. He could've stayed around and proven to be a man, and then transferred out at semester if he wanted.

I'm assuming his 'handler/advisor' is a guy from Kentucky as well? RollingLaugh

But we posted his cool workout videos and praised him before the season...how can this be happening???
Well, maybe it was like when your were checking out that hot girl and then she turned around and was missing her front teeth. Perceptions change when you get more information.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I had already forgotten about him. Not like he will be missed here.

Oh, I still think we miss him. He was the starter at the beginning of the season for a reason. He actually ran through the hole a lot like Ozigbo, and had very good vision too. And even though people think he was slow, I don't think he was too slow to be in a P5 program. And Frost seems to think he was pretty fast, because he was quoted as saying "he has another gear."

I just wish he would have given it a lot more thought before jumping ship. Maybe he was pissed at himself for having a bad game at Michigan, but everyone had a bad game at Michigan. He would still be getting some good minutes I believe, and would be sharing carries with Ozigbo and MW. He probably regrets his decision.

Let's also keep in mind that he was running behind our OLine with Cole Conrad still in at center. How would he be doing now after Farmer moved to center and Wilson moved to right guard? He averaged 5 yards/carry with Conrad starting, so I would imagine he would be at 6+ YPC behind Farmer and Wilson.

I think he was on the way to being the third back from being the one back. Didn't want to stick around for scrap carries.

That's definitely what was going on.

However, his choice about what to do in that situation is what makes no sense.

Instead of hanging in there, working out with the team, getting some reps (who knows maybe you improve and reclaim the top spot or the #1/#2 gets hurt) and waiting until the end of the year, at which point he would have had the option to stay or transfer -- he chose zero carries, zero structured workouts, zero training table, zero exposure, and now has only one option while on campus waiting to transfer.

Weird deal with him. Nothing about him quitting makes sense to me.
He got bumped by Ziggy, and he thought he was the man no matter who was better and played better. His it's all about me no matter what sorry tail end took his ball and left. We don't need toxicity like him here. Good luck to him as he's need it with an attitude like his. He's a perfect example of self entitlement. Doesn't have to work for anything, just expects it handed to him! Just sayin. Gebbia on the other hand, busted his ass and was a hard worker and don't blame him for leaving, as with AM here he would've never be the starter. Why not go somewhere else with an offense that fits your strengths and talent instead of wasting them and beside the fact, this offense was never a very good fit for him I however just like everyone else am upset at the timing of his decision, leaving us hang like he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Clutch
Oh, I still think we miss him. He was the starter at the beginning of the season for a reason. He actually ran through the hole a lot like Ozigbo, and had very good vision too. And even though people think he was slow, I don't think he was too slow to be in a P5 program. And Frost seems to think he was pretty fast, because he was quoted as saying "he has another gear."

I just wish he would have given it a lot more thought before jumping ship. Maybe he was pissed at himself for having a bad game at Michigan, but everyone had a bad game at Michigan. He would still be getting some good minutes I believe, and would be sharing carries with Ozigbo and MW. He probably regrets his decision.

Let's also keep in mind that he was running behind our OLine with Cole Conrad still in at center. How would he be doing now after Farmer moved to center and Wilson moved to right guard? He averaged 5 yards/carry with Conrad starting, so I would imagine he would be at 6+ YPC behind Farmer and Wilson.
He's not very good. The good thing about him leaving is Ozigbo got more carries. I think we have a couple good backups as well as Washington and Mazour being just as good if not better than Bell. Bell leaving was a net positive, especially in getting rid of a player with that kind of attitude.

I agree, he had much better change of direction and vision than either back we have now...not sure if he could catch the ball out of the backfield, pass protect, or if he was even hitting the assigned hole but he was very patient and ran like an experienced back. He will be missed next year

Reactions: Hoosker Du

He's not very good. The good thing about him leaving is Ozigbo got more carries. I think we have a couple good backups as well as Washington and Mazour being just as good if not better than Bell. Bell leaving was a net positive, especially in getting rid of a player with that kind of attitude.

Ok, can’t take reading this dribble. When you say he is not very good you are essentially calling the coaches idiots who offered him a scholarship, made him the starter and played him. Then you say Washington and Mazour are just as good if not better. How do you know what his attitude is?

Amazing

I agree, he had much better change of direction and vision than either back we have now...not sure if he could catch the ball out of the backfield, pass protect, or if he was even hitting the assigned hole but he was very patient and ran like an experienced back. He will be missed next year
I bought into the Bell hype but was really disappointed. From what I observed he didn't have the physicality to be successful in the Big 10. Definitely don't need that type of attitude in the locker room. He won't be missed next year

Yep he is a quitter and dumb because he incorrectly evaluated his options. Lamar Jackson drives me nuts, but you know what? He has character and confidence in himself. He didn't quit, and I think he played the best game of his career last week. I still have high hopes for that young man.

Ok, can’t take reading this dribble. When you say he is not very good you are essentially calling the coaches idiots who offered him a scholarship, made him the starter and played him. Then you say Washington and Mazour are just as good if not better. How do you know what his attitude is?

Amazing

Maybe you should consider that he was a better practice player than game player, the coaches don't have to be idiots. Coaches say it over and over again, you don't know what you have until you actually play a game. He was undoubtedly the best option before the season started. However once he played a few games, as he failed to hit holes, got tackled at the first tickle of contact, "tightened" up and become slow in the open field, it was clear to the coaches and us that he wasn't our best option to play in games. I've never watched him in practice, but I have in games and there was never a moment, not a single play, where I said, woah that guy's got it.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
The guy sure lacked break away speed, was really disappointed with him in the Colorado game, twice he got run down, and he was supposedly the number one juco running back. Don't miss him

Maybe you should consider that he was a better practice player than game player, the coaches don't have to be idiots. Coaches say it over and over again, you don't know what you have until you actually play a game. He was undoubtedly the best option before the season started. However once he played a few games, as he failed to hit holes, got tackled at the first tickle of contact, "tightened" up and become slow in the open field, it was clear to the coaches and us that he wasn't our best option to play in games. I've never watched him in practice, but I have in games and there was never a moment, not a single play, where I said, woah that guy's got it.

so you are saying you could see it, but only in games and the coaches couldn't figure it out in practices, games, watching tons of film when he was in JUCO and all the rest? yea, right. And he did actually play a game before he game to Nebraska so there's that.

Reactions: L1M3
I wonder if he could change his mind and stay here?
I would take him back but I don't think Frost would. We're going to need backs and he already has a fairly good handle on the offense. That would be huge chunk of crow for him to swallow but IF he were a man about it and begged Frost for forgiveness with a new attitude he might get another shot. Young guys do stupid impulsive stuff.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
I would take him back but I don't think Frost would. We're going to need backs and he already has a fairly good handle on the offense. That would be huge chunk of crow for him to swallow but IF he were a man about it and begged Frost for forgiveness with a new attitude he might get another shot. Young guys do stupid impulsive stuff.

That's true enough. When you're 18 or 19 years old beer and women is all you can possibly think about. It's not easy......

I bought into the Bell hype but was really disappointed. From what I observed he didn't have the physicality to be successful in the Big 10. Definitely don't need that type of attitude in the locker room. He won't be missed next year

I'm pretty sure he was averaging somewhere around 6-8 ypc when he quit...and his replacement weighs 180 pounds dripping wet. The coaching staff was a little overwhelmed at that time and really fell back on "we are going to play the right guys" , "you need to be on time to class" , "clean up after yourself", "say hi to the lunch ladies"...they were stunned by the poor culture of the team and I think GB called BS and dipped, probably thinking, "these guys are nuts". Gb wanted to come in and go hollywood, then go to the league next year. Once you compare those two ideologies..a complete cleansing of the program culturally, even if it leads to losses, vs. let me show out now so I can go pro, it was inevitable this experiment would end..not unprecedented in the world of Juco transfers.

Reactions: Huskerpro

Good grief, do you even watch football? Did Bell all of a sudden turn to shit, because he was our #1 RB coming into the season. He would be teariing up defenses with our new OLine changes, just as Ozigbo has.

I don't know if I would take him back, because he did quit, but he could have helped us out quite a bit this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT