Upcoming Commit?

Husk10

All-American
Dec 3, 2005
Texas
Quayshawn Alexander - DE/OLB - NJ
- Brother plays for RU.
- 4* by ESPN and 247, 3* by Rivals

This kid already has one of his locations (Twitter) being Lincoln, NE and he has Memorial Stadium as one of his profile pictures.

He's retweeted information on the NU Softball team, and other NU related activities. There is an article on him on the World Herald website. He seems like a really intelligent kid. His Mom has told him to wait and take his visits before committing, but, if he had his way, he'd give his verbal right now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Quayshon-Alexander-156331

We most definitely need him.

Say what you want about MR but his recruiting is starting to be a little scary. He got a pass last year but has only landed 1 commit that rivals ranked higher than a 5.6 (that's including last year and this years class). All but Jalin of the 5.7 or higher were Bo's commits in both classes .

Say what you want about the ranking system, however find me a team that won the NC that didn't have a top 5 rivals class in at least 1 year of the classes leading up to the title. Most had more than 1. (Go all the way back since rivals inception and find 1)

Also notice that all 4 teams that made the playoff last year had at least 1 top 10 rivals class. tOSU, FSU, & Bama had more than 1 (obviously)

Look at the % of 4's & 5's that get drafted vs 3's and 2's.

If MR can win with 5.5 caliber guys, why didn't he in Corvallis? Were they not the "right type of 5.5 caliber guys"

But what scares me so much right now isn't the lack of star power in commits. What scares me is the lack of star power that is interested. Look at 2005 when BC took over. He had everyone interested.

Huskers cant win with a roster full of 5.5's & 5.6's. There can be some obviously, and some will turn into All-Americans. But the odds of winning titles and conference titles will always point to the teams landing 4's & 5's. Like it or don't. Lie to yourself and tell me I'm full of sh*t, that's fine. It isn't going to change reality.

But don't blame me if I am unhappy when we are recruiting against Buffalo and Wyoming for guys. But when I see guys like Alexander, who has legit offers, I hope we land him.

Look, I am not a scout. I am not a coach. I am a numbers guys & I have learned to rely on experts. If I didn't think Rivals were experts, I'd go to 24/7, ESPN, or Scout. I trust Rivals. I can pick up on some things on tape, but that's not my job. I trust rivals. I think they have a proven track record in the recruiting game and right now I believe, rivals is telling us MR isn't a great recruiter. If he wants to get back on track, guys like Alexander are a must... Take if for what you want.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Do you hyperventilate a lot? I am not sure what you posted is all that accurate, and I know that you are much too impatient on this specific issue.

Barry Switzer said, "it's the Jimmy's & Joe's that makes a winning coach.

We most definitely need him.

But what scares me so much right now isn't the lack of star power in commits. What scares me is the lack of star power that is interested. Look at 2005 when BC took over. He had everyone interested.

What? Didn't Riley just have a bunch of high rated kids from CA come in? KeyShawn Johnson's team? It seems like several of those kids were high level talent and interested in Nebraska. And last year he only landed Barnett as a highly rated player in a short time, but they had several highly recruited linemen interested.

I don't think there is much to be worried about. It takes time to build relationships and these guys are still, only a few months into their new gig. Also take into consideration we have still yet to see an "on the field" product of this coaching staff. If the staff can show that this product is desirable to recruits and win with said product, there will inevitably be an uptick in recruiting.
Sure, BC had some star power in 2005, but honestly, how many were really game breaking contributors? Then look at how many misses were in that class. More misses than hits. Suh was in that class and literally did nothing until a different coaching staff came in.

What? Didn't Riley just have a bunch of high rated kids from CA come in? KeyShawn Johnson's team? It seems like several of those kids were high level talent and interested in Nebraska. And last year he only landed Barnett as a highly rated player in a short time, but they had several highly recruited linemen interested.

Yes

I'm sure MR is smart enough to realize that a team of 4 and 5 star guys has a better shot at winning than a team of 3 star guys, all else being equal.
It was the former HC who "put his own stars" on guys. We saw how that worked out.

Until we make a rainmaker hire (someone with national recruiting cred), it's going to be a slow-build to ramp up recruiting. MR will have to demonstrate progress to the nation through signature wins combined with his "nice guy" style. This will likely take several years to accomplish.

Say what you want about Riley's last class, but if Pelini had been retained, the following would've occured:

LB Mohammed Barry would be a Miami Hurricane.

LB Adrienne Talan would've chosen TCU or Pitt

LB Tyrin Ferguson, the Louisiana HS Defensive Player of the Year, would've ended up at Oregon State.

LB Dedrick Young would've chosen Oklahoma, Washington, or Arizona.

LB Courtney Love still would've left.

LB Luke Gifford would still be a safety.
LB Josh Banderas would've transferred.

Nebraska would've been left with Mike Rose coming off an ACL tear. Jaevon Walton still likely doesn't get into Nebraska. Marcus Newby with no experience and some underclassmen walkons.

I can almost bet Matt Snyder, the tight end from Cali would be a Michigan Wolverine. And Daishon Neal probably chooses Oregon.

So please spare me the bull shit about Riley's lack of recruiting.

And you can win championships with a roster full of 5.5 and 5.6 guys.

But your QB, offensive and defensive linemen need to be high level recruits consistently.

Receivers, DBs, LBs, and running Backs aren't always rated accordingly.

Oh and loL at the Defending of Rivals.com. 24/7 is easily the best evaluators out there.

Last edited:
Say what you want about Riley's last class, but if Pelini had been retained, the following would've occured:

LB Tyrin Ferguson, the Louisiana HS Defensive Player of the Year, would've ended up at Oregon State.

Nebraska would've been left with Mike Rose coming off an ACL tear. Jaevon Walton still likely doesn't get into Nebraska. Marcus Newby with no experience and some underclassmen walkons.

I can almost bet Matt Snyder, the tight end from Cali would be a Michigan Wolverine. And Daishon Neal probably chooses Oregon.

I agree on those guys...but can you also post the lotto numbers?

I am going with Cornicator here. I am stunned, by how many here act like we don't offer high star guys. We have an even larger recruiting staff with an astute AD; there is a plan. Ameer was the 3rd place pick from the guys ranking the rb's coming in his class. Coach Beck saw the extra. I believe these coaches see the extra, T O hunted for it and ranked his own board. I think we will end up with a very good class. June should be good; but many have stated, they want to decide before their senior season starts.

But your QB, offensive and defensive linemen need to be high level recruits consistently.

Oh and loL at the Defending of Rivals.com. 24/7 is easily the best evaluators out there.
lol 24/7 is not the best evealuators

They've been killing rivals over the last 18 to 24 months.

They're getting almost 10 million more site visits per day than Rivals. This has allowed them to corner the evaluation market with bigger staffs and better efficiency.

They also include the composite rankings while the other sites try to act like they don't exist.

I've gotten to where I don't even look at a Rivals rating for a DB or receiver.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I definitely want to believe in the "Coach 'em up" and "do more with less" mentality, but it's true. If you want to be elite, you need elite classes. If Riley can't bring them in, NU will continue to be just pretty good.

IMO this staff has taken a lot of steps in good directions on recruiting. We'll see what kind of fruit that bears. $ometimes I wonder if Nebra$ka i$ able to offer $ome of what it really take$ to land $ome of the very top talent....

Studed, my man. Is that reliable inside info or your personal opinion? We all know you are the most reliable insider on the rivals network, so I am just concerned that you are biased against 247. Again, any inside info is appreciated. Thanks hombre

Cornicator, no matter how many times you say the Young stuff, it isnt true. Dedrick committed to Bo and his staff. No reason to expect a flip if Bo kept his job

They've been killing rivals over the last 18 to 24 months.

They're getting almost 10 million more site visits per day than Rivals. This has allowed them to corner the evaluation market with bigger staffs and better efficiency.

They also include the composite rankings while the other sites try to act like they don't exist.

I've gotten to where I don't even look at a Rivals rating for a DB or receiver.
Good lord, is that true? 10 million more visits per day?

Cornicator, no matter how many times you say the Young stuff, it isnt true. Dedrick committed to Bo and his staff. No reason to expect a flip if Bo kept his job

No he didnt. He never officially commited until Coach Bray met with him on Dec 15th.

Here's how to get a whole bunch of highly rated recruits interested in your program: win with lower rated recruits. MR is attempting do that with an offensive style in a part of the country that TO said it would very difficult to have success (because it's hard to throw well when it's cold). Can he pull it off? Odds aren't with him, but stranger things have happened. I hope he can. GBR.

First off, I am in no way saying Bo should have been retained. Just because I find MR's recruiting @ NU and his track record of recruiting troublesome doesn't mean I wanted Bo to stay.

Second none of the commits you named were highly ranked. Both 3-stars. Barry was a 5.5. Talan was a 5.6

Third your wrong about Neal. Neal was always going to take his visits. Bo leaving caused more of a concern for Neal being a decom then his visits.

Jaevon Walton still isn't here so I guess that's a mute point.

Same with Love but I highly doubt Love would have left but all of these are just assumptions from both of us. I doubt Neal, Love, or Walton even really knows the answer to that.

Please be clear, in no way am I saying we should have kept Bo. Bo was a terrible recruiter, just worried that MR isn't any better or maybe worse. And it seems like its for different reasons. Bo was stubborn and couldn't handle prima donna recruits such as 4's & 5's. MR isn't shy to recruit the big names. He just isn't getting many bites.

Last edited:

KJ's team has 2 players ranked by rivals. KJ & the QB. Rivals doesn't even show that the QB has an offer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...year=2017&hometown=Calabasas&state=California

You can win titles with a roster full of 5.5 & 5.6 guys? Please show me a team who has then? Bama, Auburn, Texas, FSU, USC, LSU, Florida, & tOSU are all the schools who have won a championship since rivals started its ranking system. Which of these schools were full of 5.5 & 5.6's? Hell if you even go back further than that and use other ranking systems, you'll notice that the teams that won a title had highly rated recruiting classes leading up to that. So is your statement based on fact or hope? Maybe you were meaning winning a B1G West Division title because sure, that can be done. But that's not what I am hoping that's the best NU can do.

I agree, you can find diamonds in the ruff at WR's & DB (mostly) however I disagree @ RB. I think the recruiting services do pretty well @ RB. 6 out of the top 10 RB's drafted this year were 4's or 5 stars. All 3 players drafted a head of Ameer were 4's or 5's. The Odds favorite to win the Heisman for 2015 (Elliot) was a top 100 rivals player...

Lastly, if you love 24/7 so much, why are you here? Go there. This is an inferior product in your mind.

Reactions: AndyHanline
Lastly, if you love 24/7 so much, why are you here? Go there. This is an inferior product in your mind.

Can't the board be better here and the rankings be better there? The two are not mutually exclusive.

Same with Love but I highly doubt Love would have left

I told y'all back in mid October that Love and Hart were leaving.

If anything, the Pelini firing, along with Riley hiring - and him hiring Trent Bray so quickly (not Ross Els) - gave hope that Love may have second thoughts about transferring.

You can win titles with a roster full of 5.5 & 5.6 guys? Please show me a team who has then? Bama, Auburn, Texas, FSU, USC, LSU, Florida, & tOSU are all the schools who have won a championship since rivals started its ranking system. Which of these schools were full of 5.5 & 5.6's? Hell if you even go back further than that and use other ranking systems, you'll notice that the teams that won a title had highly rated recruiting classes leading up to that. So is your statement based on fact or hope? Maybe you were meaning winning a B1G West Division title because sure, that can be done. But that's not what I am hoping that's the best NU can do.

I agree, you can find diamonds in the ruff at WR's & DB (mostly) however I disagree @ RB. I think the recruiting services do pretty well @ RB. 6 out of the top 10 RB's drafted this year were 4's or 5 stars. All 3 players drafted a head of Ameer were 4's or 5's. The Odds favorite to win the Heisman for 2015 (Elliot) was a top 100 rivals player...

Agreed. Well said. For the most part, stars DO matter.

HTO, I really enjoy your insight into the program. I'm just curious, why did Love actually leave? Was it dissatisfaction with Els and Bo, or did he really just want to be closer to home? Thanks!

First off, I am in no way saying Bo should have been retained. Just because I find MR's recruiting @ NU and his track record of recruiting troublesome doesn't mean I wanted Bo to stay.

Second none of the commits you named were highly ranked. Both 3-stars. Barry was a 5.5. Talan was a 5.6

Third your wrong about Neal. Neal was always going to take his visits. Bo leaving caused more of a concern for Neal being a decom then his visits.

Jaevon Walton still isn't here so I guess that's a mute point.

Same with Love but I highly doubt Love would have left but all of these are just assumptions from both of us. I doubt Neal, Love, or Walton even really knows the answer to that.

Please be clear, in no way am I saying we should have kept Bo. Bo was a terrible recruiter, just worried that MR isn't any better or maybe worse. And it seems like its for different reasons. Bo was stubborn and couldn't handle prima donna recruits such as 4's & 5's. MR isn't shy to recruit the big names. He just isn't getting many bites.

I never suggested you wanted to keep Bo or not. In fact, you missed my point entirely.

You claim Riley has a lot to prove with recruiting. The man has been in Lincoln for a little over 6 months now. The only thing you can judge him on his first recruiting class which he had all of basically 7 weeks to pull together.

While you want to cast judgment for the lack of high profile recruits, I look at the 2015 class and I'm extremely impressed by what Mike Riley brought into the program.
Mike Riley didn't have time to go out and build relationships with a bunch of top 100 recruits whom were already committed elsewhere. His best course of action was to maintain some previous commits and then assess areas of need going forward.

He saw the linebacker depth as the biggest collection of holes on the roster. He didn't panic. He didn't go out and waste some schollies on JUCO trash like Bill Callahan in 2004 and 2005. He also didn't go the Bo route and bring in kids with absolutely no business playing in the Big Ten. More on that in a moment.

Contrary to your lack of knowledge on the situation. Courtney Love was transferring regardless of the coach.
The absurd aspect of his transfer was how he soured on Bo. He hated Pelini, and didn't actually request a transfer until after Bo was dismissed. He could've stuck around in the Spring and seen how he would've fit into the new defense. But he was gone anyway and bought a line of bull shit from Kentucky who claimed he would be eligible in 2015.

Josh Banderas was also ready to transfer, but that's kind of irrelevant to this discussion.

So Riley looked at the linebacker depth and realized it sucked. Instead of going after trash he and his staff scour the country for some guys they can purge:

1. Mohammad Barry - Was heading to Wisconsin. By October, he realized he would not qualify there. In fact, his inability to get into Wisconsin was part of the "last straw" for Gary Andersen. He knew he would never be able to get over the athletic hump to compete with Ohio State if he couldn't pull in athletes like Barry to Wisconsin. Barry then was choosing between Miami and K-State until the Huskers came in changed his mind. Kid was an All-State LB with 4.4 speed from Georgia's biggest class.

2. Adrienne Talan - This kid, also with 4.4 speed, out of Florida 7A, was actually Bray's #1 target while at Oregon State. Even after visiting and building a nice relationship, he was seriously considering Arkansas, TCU, and Pitt. Talan is an example of player who would've likey never ended up at Oregon State. But he's a player who will select Nebraska because of facilities, tradition, support, etc.

3. Tyrin Ferguson - The 2014 Louisiana High School Defensive player of the year, was targeted by Riley and staff in September. He had no offers because he had basically played in 5 career Varsity games at that time. By the end of December, Ferguson had offers from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Cal, Arizona State, and had committed to Nebraska. If Riley was still at Oregon state, you have to wonder if Ferguson would've stuck with the Beavers after all.

4. Jalin Barnett - a top 250 Offensive tackle, who was no where on Nebraska;s radar prior to Riley, is likely heading to Stanford or Arkansas or staying in state at Oklahoma State. This kid had offers from Auburn, UCLA, and OU, but chose the Huskers because of Mike Riley.

5. Lavon Alston - a dynamic and explosive wide out very much in the mold of many PAC 12 athletes, was very much choosing between a handful of PAC 12 programs. Riley convinced him to head out to the Plains.

So your argument is that "none of these recruits were high profile." That argument is silly and really just illustrates the absurdity of your argument with relation to Riley.

Look at the programs who wanted these players and then tell me where players in those programs fit into the Big Ten West from a talent standpoint:

Wisconsin
Kansas State
Arizona
Arkansas
Arizona State
Washington
TCU
Cal
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Miami
Pitt
K-State
Central Florida

Riley and staff proactively attacked the situation and were solutions oriented by bringing in the type of talent necessary to compete for a league title. Rebuilding and stacking the depth at Nebraska is not an overnight fix. They didn't pout, and made an effort to start the rebuild at these key positions.

This isn't really a Riley to Bo comparison, but its a broader look at how Bo tried to fix depth issues. Bo never had a plan B for everything. If he missed out on a recruit or a kid reneged, Bo called the kid an Effing Pussy, complained to Gary Dinardo with BTN, and then went and found a Plan H kid from rural Alabama like DeAndre Wills. Or he would go get a kid like Ernest Suttles and Jaevon Walton. Those kids had talent, but plenty of coaches and administrators were ready to say, "These Kids are Bad news. " That's why the big programs aren't recruiting them anymore.

Riley didn't do that, he found kids who could first and foremost run. He then made serious inquireies, and finally sold Nebraska.

Claiming he still has a lot to prove is misguided and off base. He's already proved a ton

Reactions: jackie_moon33

This is such a simplistic and narrow minded view. And again, I think you believe recruiting and competing for championships can be done overnight. It cannot. It can't even be done with one or 2 recruiting classes. There are really a bunch of points I want to cover.

1. There is NO SUCH THING AS a scholarship DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH - By your definition and the definition of the arrogant Mike Farrel's of the world, a 3 Star 5.5 player who becomes a star was a gem who just received tremendous development in college. This is a false assertion. I'm a film guy. The film doesn't lie. DeMornay Pierson-Els senior film was the most impressive highlight reel I've ever seen of a Husker recruit. In fact, I only saw about 5 or 6 other HS players from that class with better film. Pierson -El didn't just magically become a high 4star talent after a month of Bo Pelini tutelage. He was that good when he arrived. Maliek Collins holds the NATIONAL HS FOOTBALL Record for Most Tackles for Loss in a season. His HS film was nothing short of jaw dropping. Rivals didn't even have him ranked in the top 20 of his own State.

Were DeMornay and Maliek just pieces of coal that progressed into diamonds? No, they were both excellent talents when they showed up in Lincoln.

- By the same measure, a kid like David Gladney had awful high school production and film. Its no wonder he has never played a meaningful down.

2. The recruting services refuse to analyze players on their senior film. This is why teams like Baylor, TCU, Central Florida, and Louisville are repeatedly putting multiple kids into the NFL and routinely in line to be a top 10 team. Rivals brands a 16 year old kid as a 5.6 three star, but doesn't see the kid is now an absolute star. Tyrin Ferguson is prime example. He was running a 4.9 forty his Junior year, missed most of the season with an injury, and really wasn't on anyone's radar. At age 17, he is the Louisiana HS Def Player of the Year, runs a 4.6 and easily one of the most dominating high school players in the country.

Your issue is you take the Recruiting services at their word. They are not above reproach and shouldn't be measured accordingly.

My contention is you can win with a bunch of 5.5 to 5.7 stars. Because 5.5 3-stars are not judged fairly across the board. Its almost absurd to think that Greg Hart was considered a better Tight End prospect than Cethan Carter or Matt Snyder.

However, where I believe you and I are on the same page is with high level recruits along the Offensive and defensive lines and QB's. You mention Ohio State, Auburn, Bama, Florida State, etc, etc, and I look at those rosters with careful analysis.

Guys like Amari Cooper or Kelvin Benjamin or Raekwon Willliams or Ryan Shazier are definitely talented, but you can win championships without them. I certainly would take any of them if they want to play for me, but National titles are won up front and at the QB position.

Where is Florida State if Tommy Armstrong and Jamies Winston trade spots?

Where is Nebraska the last 2 seasons if Jamies is behind center?

Who was more important to Ohio State? Cardale and Joey Bosa or Ezekial Elliot and Devin Smith? That's easy. Ohio State could've won a national title with a lot of running backs. They would not have won a national title without those QB's and especiallly Bosa and Adolphus Washington.

Offensive and defensive linemen evaluations are usually pretty good. That's where championships are one.

Give me Ohio State's offensive line and will easily take the likes of Barry, Talan, and Ferguson at Linebacker.

Cornicator with the
giphy.gif

I was somewhat concerned about recruiting, but a typical type of response on this message board would be to wait. Having thought about it, patience is the most prudent choice. There is not enough evidence in my mind to crown Riley king or throw him under the bus.

In order for us to be really good again, we'll need a combination of good coaching and good recruiting. Unfortunately, good (or bad) recruiting won't necessarily be evident right away. I compiled recruiting rankings for the championship teams awhile back, so I'll include it here. Was it the highly ranked players that made the difference, I don't know, I don't have the time to research it.

16gwz1y.gif

Stars do matter, on average. A high 4-star player is far more likely, on average, to be all-conference or an NFL draft pick than a low 3-star player. There are many, many individual exceptions though. Even whole teams built of low ranked players that have done very well, including TCU, Baylor, Boise State, etc.

The recruiting services are good, and the numbers show it. They're miles from perfect predictors.

Love it; I will add my two cents with admiration. With Cornicators formula, I suspect you include the 70 +71 and 94 + 95 Nebraska teams; consistently voted the best of all time in their era's. Ok; you can add 97.. GBR

Look at the programs who wanted these players and then tell me where players in those programs fit into the Big Ten West from a talent standpoint:

Wisconsin
Kansas State
Arizona
Arkansas
Arizona State
Washington
TCU
Cal
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Miami
Pitt
K-State
Central Florida

Pardon me but it's been a while since any of those schools have played for a title. Outside of OU and Miami, how many of these schools have even played for a title in the last 50 years? The Canes aren't exactly the same Canes of the early 2000's & 90's & 80's. TCU is the only school on that list that IMO I think has a program where I'd like us to be. The rest of them are all about where we are (maybe a little better or little worse). Notice only one true blue blood on that list in OU.

It's fine if your OK with being = to Pitt, Arkansas, Ok-Lites, etc of the world. That's your choice and yes Mike Riley will do a fabulous job at achieving your hopes.

WE SHOULD OUT RECRUIT EVERY TEAM ON THAT LIST. I am sick of the target being a mid-top 25 program. Maybe that's where I lose most people on this board because I want more and theirs no dam reason we shouldn't be a top 5 program.

And I could not care any less about Courtney Love. Great, he's gone. Had Bo stayed we would have been very thin at LB but at the same time, Bo never played a ton of LB's. But who cares regardless. It doesn't make MR a better recruiter. The point of my OP is, is MR a bad recruiter?

And to say let the man be on the job for a while or build relationships, that's BS. Many coaches do very well in their first true class. James Franklin kicked ass his first full year of recruiting. Jim Harbaugh looking pretty dam good for 2016. Urban Myers killed it in his first year. And we are just talking B1G coaches. Now of course theirs a list of inferior coaches in the B1G that didn't kill it. So should we put MR in that group?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT