ADVERTISEMENT

UNL offered Akron dormitory housing and breakfast

they could just kick out like 6 floors of people at embassy suits, and tell them it only happens like 1 time since ww2, deal with it.

This will never happen again...planning for this is a huge waste of time. It is like me planning for my threesome...you can't plan it...you just gotta hope it happens.
I’m far from being involved with the university’s future plans. Just was hypothesizing about the possibility. Sure you can plan to have a threesome, but it’d require that you or your companion is bisexual. I dated a bisexual girl and we planned one, although I guess if you broke it down she planned it for me. The 2nd girl was her friend and Idk if I’d have the balls to bring it up first. However, knowing that she’d been with women before I made sure she thought my ultimate fantasy was watching her with another girl. She tried to give me that and I snuck right in. We didn’t date too long after that. What a hypocrite? If you get real desperate to cross it off your bucket list you could go the MMF route. That’d be easily plannable, but you may never be able to look your best friend in the eyes again.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnRossEwing
There is a reason that most every team visiting stays in Omaha. That would not change even if the university did have a unit like the one talked about in this thread!
Yeah, that’s more so there team isn’t interacting with a bunch of fans and what could come along with that. Only the visiting team and staff would occupy the building during football games.

I know the home team stays at a hotel the night before a game (Friday) - but wouldnt Nebraska also be staying on campus/dorms Saturday night before a Sunday game?

Reactions: saluno22
Worked at the Kellogg Center restaurant on 33rd and Holdrege when I was an undergrad in the early 80s. Team used to stay there. Restaurant closed first, then the hotel. Used to have a nice prime rib there and you could get a good Omlette.
Universities don’t have a good track record operating hotels.

Reactions: huskerfan66
It would not lose money and city tax revenue wouldn’t change much as demand is already not filled. What budgets are you referring to, city or university? Which hotels revenue do you believe stays in the city? Corporate hotels would be the only one to take a descent hit and that’d be in the former of slightly lower rates. No other market would take a hit.

The distinction is between public and private. UNL is a public university. If the public university were to own a “hotel” the question is how does that work within the private sector, especially as it concerns taxation. I doubt tax revenues generated from a publically owned “hotel” are going to be anywhere near what a privately owned hotel would generate. You’re attempting to take private sector supply and demand for hotel rooms and apply them to a publically owned and operated hotel that is established primarily for use by public institutions, etc. I’m not an accountant so I could be completely wrong, but I would assume this scenario (using public funds to own and operate a hotel that is not open to the public) would cause a lot of tax headaches and some unfair advantages for the “university hotel” that the private sector would take issue with.

I just think anytime you mix public with private you’re asking for a fight.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I’m far from being involved with the university’s future plans. Just was hypothesizing about the possibility. Sure you can plan to have a threesome, but it’d require that you or your companion is bisexual. I dated a bisexual girl and we planned one, although I guess if you broke it down she planned it for me. The 2nd girl was her friend and Idk if I’d have the balls to bring it up first. However, knowing that she’d been with women before I made sure she thought my ultimate fantasy was watching her with another girl. She tried to give me that and I snuck right in. We didn’t date too long after that. What a hypocrite? If you get real desperate to cross it off your bucket list you could go the MMF route. That’d be easily plannable, but you may never be able to look your best friend in the eyes again.
I love this!!!

The distinction is between public and private. UNL is a public university. If the public university were to own a “hotel” the question is how does that work within the private sector, especially as it concerns taxation. I doubt tax revenues generated from a publically owned “hotel” are going to be anywhere near what a privately owned hotel would generate. You’re attempting to take private sector supply and demand for hotel rooms and apply them to a publically owned and operated hotel that is established primarily for use by public institutions, etc. I’m not an accountant so I could be completely wrong, but I would assume this scenario (using public funds to own and operate a hotel that is not open to the public) would cause a lot of tax headaches and some unfair advantages for the “university hotel” that the private sector would take issue with.

I just think anytime you mix public with private you’re asking for a fight.
This covers the “how is it bad for PR post?”, but not the referenced post. Creating more rooms would only create more tax revenue. Idk why you assumed the university would be exempt from that. The hotel would be invitation and members only. It wouldn’t really compete with the private sector much in the city of Lincoln. People that want glitz and glam wouldn’t be staying there. It could slightly lower room rates, but that only affects the top of the mountain’s net. I don’t see who outside of hotel owners would be affected and even they wouldn’t see huge change. Most teams stay out of town to avoid high rates and the opposing fans.

“According to the Office of the President of the University of Nebraska, each state dollar returns 300 percent through economic growth. The Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources alone generates $15 for every one dollar of Nebraska tax investment.” UNL’s state appropriations are among the lowest in the nation . They’ve nearly been cut in half over the last two decades. That’s why there’s budget issues. The state pays out little comparably and gets a large return. Our donations and tax appropriations are nowhere near our competition. Maybe these types of things can make up for our monetary deficiencies.

Last edited:
Plenty of room in the Bobfather arena, just break out the sleeping bags and order Runza's and pizza for breakfast!:D
Yeah, but it would be like Revenge of the Nerds when Mikaela pounded a kill over to their cots. My vote is they should have referbed the 4H building over on the innovation campus with rooms. NU could offer a very reduced rate to offset the sheep smell.

There used to be a hotel run by the university on East campus. The football team stayed there the night before games and then they rented it out kinda like the op has suggested. There's a reason why we don't do that anymore.

I wondered if anybody else remembered this. I attended a conference there back in the late 90's. The building wasn't much to look at from the outside, but the lobby and meeting rooms were actually quite nice. The hotel rooms were pretty basic. I don't think it was used that often, so the building was converted into office space for the College of Natural Sciences. Now called Hardin Hall.

I know the home team stays at a hotel the night before a game (Friday) - but wouldnt Nebraska also be staying on campus/dorms Saturday night before a Sunday game?
Not in the Akron case. The team was sent home so they could make room for Akron to stay in since they couldn't find hotel room adequate. They had also made breakfast arrangements. The only food problems would be at the concessions in the stadium as they basically sold out.

No visiting team is going to agree to stay in dorms full of drunk college kids who root for the opposing team. You'd have to hire a lot of security in that situation.

Last edited:
......, but they declined. This got me thinking that UNL should set up a visiting university and recruit hotel. Visiting teams would pay a slightly discounted comparable rate to area hotel. Offer catering, a juice bar, large banquet hall, and lounge. It would stream line visiting teams gameday logistics. Also while not in use by visiting teams or recruits it could be rented to visiting media, boosters, speakers, prospective students, and etc. Streamlining the visiting teams logistics might be a negative, but I think it’d be a goldmine. Opinions?

Great idea:

I wondered if anybody else remembered this. I attended a conference there back in the late 90's. The building wasn't much to look at from the outside, but the lobby and meeting rooms were actually quite nice. The hotel rooms were pretty basic. I don't think it was used that often, so the building was converted into office space for the College of Natural Sciences. Now called Hardin Hall.

I remember it. In the '80s & '90s, I believe it was called the Continuing Education Center or something of the sort. Right at the corner of 33rd & Holdrege, basically across the street from the original Val's when it was still around.

No visiting team is going to agree to stay in dorms full of drunk college kids who root for the opposing team. You'd have to hire a lot of security in that situation.
Yeah, that’s why they wouldn’t be in a dormitory with drunk UNL students. It was never suggested that opposing athletes stay with UNL students. The suggesting was for a separate and single entity.

Yeah, that’s why they wouldn’t be in a dormitory with drunk UNL students. It was never suggested that opposing athletes stay with UNL students. The suggesting was for a separate and single entity.

UNL has an entire dorm building just sitting empty with no UNL students?

Moos said: “They had a concern because it would have been a couple of dorms, we couldn’t get everybody into one and it was just not a practical option for them all things considered.”

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4643/ad-bill-moos-says-nebraska-did-what-it-could-to-play-akron-sunday

UNL has an entire dorm building just sitting empty with no UNL students?

Moos said: “They had a concern because it would have been a couple of dorms, we couldn’t get everybody into one and it was just not a practical option for them all things considered.”

https://hailvarsity.com/s/4643/ad-bill-moos-says-nebraska-did-what-it-could-to-play-akron-sunday
Again, what is the relevance of what happened Saturday and the options for housing. The discussion was about a hypothetical situation in the future. I don’t know if you just read the title and skipped all the posts, but if you didn’t it should’ve been obvious that throwing FUTURE visiting teams in dorms with UNL students was never suggested. Heck, it could even be used by our team as they stay in a hotel the night before for uniformity and less distraction. This post isn’t about sour grapes from last week. It just got me hypothesizing about how a 100 open dorm rooms could be used. Obviously if they did this they’d make sure that all the empty dorm rooms were in a single building without students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT